• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

Hillcountryrambler said:
Teeds--beautiful photos. Haave not visited Batopilas. When I did moto to Creel in '95, the town was uglier than a mud fence!

Thanks!

Batopilas is quite photogenic actually.

I'm ready to be back there hanging out in the plaza. I'm betting it is warmer and drier than Dallas right now.

Day Three - Sunday (continued)

There were a couple of KLR guys from Washington (the state) staying at a guest house facing the plaza and they mentioned that the couple that ran it knew some English. We meandered across the plaza and were soon conversing with Arturo, via a translator, about our needs for a ride. He assured us that he could get us to Creel on Monday. Relieved, Skinny and I set off to enjoy the town and the day.

Located on the south (river side) of the plaza were our good Samaritans. If you need any help while in Batopilas, ask here. We will be staying there the next time we are in Batopilas. The KLR guys spoke highly of everything.

123253430-M.jpg

The Sweep Riders came back through and we chatted a bit about our situation and our newly found ride out scheduled for early Monday morning. They heading on back to Hotel Margarita to pack and were planning on heading north later in the morning.

Now Skinny and I were really left to our own devices. So, what do two gringos, left to their own devices do in Batopilas? We went to lunch!! Back to the Restaurant 5o Patio, as that seemed to be the only restaurant open.

Ordering went something like this ...

¡Hola!
¡Buenas tardes!
Quisiera Cuatro el Taco Carne y uno guacamole por favor...

¡Gracias!

Don’t laugh, it worked ...

123365712-M.jpg

I love to eat good food and in Mexico, everything I ate, was great! I love the Lemonada as well. I can only assume it was either made with bottled water, or that I have a strong gut.

Then it was off to shop ... the local LEOs had stopped in to eat and one had on a shirt that said Batopilas on it. I had to find me one ...

An aside ...

As is often the case in every culture, the more locals in the restaurant, the better. We never ate at the Restaurant 5o Patio that there were not a local or two.

Back to the story ...

Speaking of locals, here is some of the pets and domesticated animals

123421767-M.jpg

123425897-M.jpg

Tres perro, one is asleep on the right side ...

123359655-M.jpg

I love peeking in open doorways ... there is always a surprise waiting

123418613-M.jpg

123353880-M.jpg

123430140-M.jpg

Finally, dinner was back at the Restaurant 5o Patio ... we had not managed to find any other restaurant open and then off to Hotel Mary to get ready for an early departure tomorrow morning.

Packing complete ... except for getting off the bed ...

123431564-M.jpg

I had to leave a sticker ... if you stay in Hotel Mary, Room 109, tell me if it is still there.

123431157-M.jpg

As 0600 would soon arrive, we turned in.

Conclusion for the day ...

As is often the case when rides form up, people sign on that we do not know well. Skinny and I had known each other over the web for a year or so, but personally, only a few months. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together and realized this bit of good fortune could be one of the things that I was supposed to “learn” from this experience. I had discovered a real “gem” of a friend!

¡Salud Flaco!

Day Four soon

XR650Rocketman said:
The DRZs ran great also.....Maybe basebill or willsy can let us know what jets they were running.

If ya'll DRZ guys have a second, let me in on your set-up. E or S carb, jet size, w/ or w/o 3x3 mod. Thanks

BTW great story and pics.:clap:

Saturday - Creel to Batopilas

I woke up looking forward to the days ride. Last time I was out here, I was riding the GS1150 with about 100+ lbs. of gear. It was a bit of a handful. Now I'm on the WR450 with about 25 lbs. and a good set of knobbies. Ian and I geared up and headed to our bikes. It was 'brisk' out but the sun was up. I put my heavy thermals on so I was nice a toasty.

After a somewhat quick breakfast of chiliquiles and beans we finished loading the bikes. Today I'd empty the extra fuel cans that I was carrying in my backpack, put the bottles in the rear bag and strap the sleeping bag to the back to even out the load. Talking with the Are-fellas group, they decided to ride at a different pace. Mike and Gene decided to go with them leaving myself, Steve, Tony, Ian, Bill, Skinny and Ray. After a stop for gas, I realized I left my octane boost in my buddies truck which meant I had to be careful or the engine would ping to death on low octane Mexican gas.

All gassed up, we headed down the nicely paved and curvy road. The road has lots of ice and snow in the shadows. It wasn't too difficult figuring out where the ice would be so I slowed down to let the others know ice is coming up. As we passed the lake, we see the Are-fellas buying trinkets from the indians and getting pics. We head up a little ways to an overlook for our first real view of the canyons. Like everyone says, pictures don't do it justice.

123452135-M.jpg

123452448-M.jpg

We head to Samachique where the turn off is for Batopilas and the start of dirt. The beginning of the road starts out with large pine trees blocking the sun. The road is a bit rougher than I remember with lots of rocks and tree roots sticking up making for a very bumpy ride. I remember an overlook where the cliff is a straight drop of at least 1000 feet or more.

123452563-M.jpg

I climb the big rock and take a pic right at the edge. The river is a long way down. I ask Bill, who base jumps, if he could jump off this point. No problem he tells me. I think he's freakin nuts!!

123452835-M.jpg

I tell the guys that our next stop is the bridge at the bottom and everyone takes off. Soon we are out of the pines and into the low lying brush that makes up most of the canyons. I hang back with Tony because I want to get some shots of me on the switchbacks everyone takes. I get half way down and take picts of Tony at the top...but it's difficult to see since he's about 500 feet above me and blocked by the tall grass. He's in the middle of the pict to the right.

123453080-M.jpg

I wait till he's almost caught up and take off to the river. It's switchback heaven. The bike is handling great even with the extra gear. I bumped up the sag to adjust for the gear and it's paying off. I can really hustle the bike down the canyon. Before I know it I'm at the bridge where the gang is waiting for us. I pull a wheelie for the last 10 feet of the bridge hoping someone would get a pict...but they've been waiting for a while and were ready to go.

123453336-M.jpg

123453407-M.jpg

Soon Tony catches up and we're off for the next stop in La Bufa. Last time I was here I met Fritz, a crazy German living in the hills. I wanted to catch up and get another picture on the mine ruins...but he's no longer there and the place was up for sale. After a few picts on the ruins, we head out with the next stop in Batopilas. It's getting late and I'm worried about the next leg of the trip...but that would all get washed away.

We have a few rules when we ride...first rule - No WHINING!! It'll cost you $5. Second, you are responsible for the rider behind you. Well, that hasn't worked out very well on this trip. After taking picts and heading out, I see Bill coming the other way. What? Turned out he didn't hear that we were stopping in La Bufa. I took off first so I could find Fritz and blitzed down the canyon. Bill not knowing and being behind me didn't see me turn off the road to the goat trail leading to Fritz's place. Luckily Bill turned around and regrouped with us.

As we headed down to Batopilas, I kept a pretty quick pace, I could see Steve and Ian behind be so I kept going till we hit the outskirts of Batopilas. I wanted to wait for everyone before we headed into town. After a few minutes everyone shows up except Tony. Dang it!! Steve, Bill and I turn around a go looking for Tony, the rest head for the town square. A little while later we run into the Are-fellas and they tell us Tony went down but is coming. I turn around and wait. Soon Tony shows up with a thumb sideways, letting me know something isn't right. We get to town square and I notice something in his forks...

123453533-M.jpg

No wonder he went down. Tony, you shouldn't drink and drive!!

I then get news that Skinny's Husky went dead...electrical problem. Bill and Skinny are trying to find the problem while I go get us a hotel.

Sure enough, Skinny's bike is DOA. All we can figure is the CDI is fried. We head for the hotel, unpack and head for the restaraunt. Steve and I discuss what we should do.

Like any adventure, you plan and then as the days go by, you adjust. On my two month adventure, I thru out my plan on the second day. This would be no different. With Skinny's bike down and Tony's knee hurting, we decide to call it a day and hang out. I call Lupita and tell her we are not going to make it Sunday to hang with her family.

After showers, we head out to the foot bridge that crosses the river to where the indians live. I've brought crayon and little pads of paper for the kids and the other guys have candy to pass out. We had a bit of a climb to get there and Tony, bad knee and all, hobble along with us. I gave away all the goodies I had. At first the kids were really shy but after a while we had lot's of kids coming around. I didn't have anytime to take pics since I was handing out stuff to all the kids.

On a side note, there was a basketball field where kids were playing. The court is right on the edge of the river. As we were coming back across, we saw one kid kick the ball over the fence into the river...bye bye ball. Across the bridge was a little shop. We took a collection and bought the kids a soccer ball. As we were waiting to air it up, I decided to look for a ride for Skinny so we took off. Steve later told me that when he gave the kids the soccer ball, they played with it and then tried to give it back. Steve tried to explain they could keep it. Finally the kids got it and smiles all around.

123453707-M.jpg

I talked to the local police and said we could find a guy who could give us a ride down the block. I found him and said he'd give Skinny a ride but nothing is going to happen tomorrow...being Sunday. No problem I thought. At least he's got a ride. We tried to up the price but he wouldn't budge...and I think he got a little upset. I offered him a beer at the bar later.

The night ended in the restaraunt with pretty good food but better company. Everyone was in good spirits...well...except for Skinny now that his ride is over.

What a great ride today. I love being in the mountains on my bike. The feeling of crossing mountain ranges is hard to described.

123453583-M.jpg

As we walked back to our hotel, I was thinking that the next leg will be difficult riding once past Satevo. Boy, was that an understatement!!!

thumper said:
If ya'll DRZ guys have a second, let me in on your set-up. E or S carb, jet size, w/ or w/o 3x3 mod. Thanks

I have the S model with stock exhaust and the 3x3 mod to my air box. I have a K&N air filter and the Dyno jet kit installed in the stock (Mikuni) carb. I installed a 142.5 main jet. The Dyno jet kit comes with an adjustable slide needle and I have it on the 2nd position (from top). I think that my main jet is a little small. I did not have detonation problems at higher altitudes, but at sea level I have to take it pretty easy. I wanted the smaller main for this trip due to evevations up to near 9000'.
I think a stock set up would work fine in all the riding we did. The 3x3 mod and rejetting just seems to give the DRZ a bit more "pep".
Hope this helps.

Bill

Irondawg--I'm enjoying the report and look forward to next installment. It was a fine thing to do--buying those kids another ball.

Day Four - Monday
January 8, 2007

0600 came early, but not as early as the Chicken Bus. As Skinny indicated, there was a steady stream of folks going by our room to gather for the bus from 0400ish on.

Tony Travel Tidbit

Get as far away from the front entry of a hotel as possible!

Back to the story ...

Getting ready to go consisted of putting on my ride gear. I had not planned on packing it, so there was not enough room for the bulk.

Arturo was out front when I stuck my head out about 0530 and we quickly wrapped up getting gear tossed into the truck and Skinny and Gimpmeister (me) headed down to the plaza with our bikes, while they backed the truck up to the edge of the plaza. It would be far easier to lift the bikes 9 inches than 3 feet ...

Loaded ... now to tie them down ...

123431949-M.jpg

An aside ...

During our time in Batopilas, I had been struck by the fact that Batopilas was absent trash. I had seen the trash truck about on Saturday, but there was nothing ... NOTHING ... on the ground. The town was virtually spotless. Don’t get me wrong ... I was not complaining.

How did they do it?

It was all the ladies of the town. At 0600 on Monday, while we were loading the bikes, they were everywhere, sweeping leaves and paper that had been blown about. The respect that people showed for the clean town during the day was directly attributable to the efforts of these unseen ladies toiling in the predawn darkness. To say the least, I was impressed.

Back to the story ...

I was impressed by Batopilas, very impressed. I had enjoyed my time there and looked forward to getting back someday soon.

¡Adiós!

¡Gracias!

I will return!

123432263-M.jpg

We’re off!

Safely ensconced in the cab of the Ford, we started rolling at 0621 towards Creel. Batopilas was asleep, except for the afore mentioned ladies. The sounds of Mexican oom-pah, quietly mixed with the rhythm of the tires on the cobblestone street, serenaded our departure.

We meandered through town, taking roads that apparently were one way, although not so marked. Did I screw up when I arrived? Probably, but nobody seemed to care.

It was but a short while before we stopped though ... We needed gas, gasolina, motion lotion ... whatever you call it.

A quick beep of the horn, a shout and the light at the “gas station” clicked on. I use the term “gas station” loosely. It was but a hose that snaked out of a hole in the wall of a building. Clearly, this was not a Pemex.

Geo/Political Commentary ...

Capitalism is a great thing and here it was at work. I could only guess, but I suspect that someone (mucho loco for sure) made the trip between Batopilas and civilization to get the gas that flowed into the tank of the Ford. A little markup and everyone was happy. Will the Mexican government ever get it? Who knows, but with a very efficient private mass transit system (Chicken Busses) everywhere there was profit to be made and Carta Blanca Signs in every town that supported more than five people, you would think they would. Based upon the efficiency of the transit system, the “more developed” countries have much to learn though.

Back to the story ...

OK, I went a bit crazy trying to get “the shot” ...

123432703-M.jpg

123433241-M.jpg

123433679-M.jpg

Dawn was coming to the canyon ...

123434611-M.jpg

Upward we snaked, unraveling the route of a few days earlier. My lord, it is beautiful as it unfolds in the growing light. Dawn is my favorite time of the day. To experience dawn in La Bufa Canyon was a VERY memorable experience. At some point I point out the window at an airplane. It is heading south down the canyon, as we crawl northward. With pantomime, we learned there was a fly-in development nearby. Oh boy, here comes money.

The crack in the windshield is somehow symbolic of my adventure in life the last few months ...

123435316-M.jpg

123437958-M.jpg

We stopped at a bridge that I should have stopped at on Saturday to photograph. Maybe I would not be in a truck right now ...

123445332-M.jpg

One more, looking back at the bridge, shrouded in shadows

123446772-M.jpg

As we round a blind corner, we are faced with a 1 1/4 ton Ford truck with a stakebed and duallies. Of course, it would be a narrow spot. The passenger jumps out and they back up into the corner as tightly as possible. We ease forward, trucks barely inches apart. Mirrors are folded in as trucks pass. I peer out the passenger window and see about 18 inches of roadway and a huge amount of air beyond the tires of the pickup. Eternity is but a bobble away. Slipping by, we all breath a sigh and grins fill the cab.

Ever understanding the wants of man, we soon encounter a cantina. This cantina is so far away from everything else in the world that I am reminded of “the restaurant at the end of the universe” celebrated by Douglas Adams.

123447141-M.jpg

123447670-M.jpg

Continuing northward, we soon encounter a caravan ... We have found the Chicken Bus, closely followed by another stakebed truck. The rear of the stakebed is full of people, but not nearly as crowded as the Chicken Bus.

A left blinker comes on and the truck slows. We pass and soon scoot around the Chicken Bus as well. Wow, that sucker is packed!

123448461-M.jpg

Rounding a corner, I spy some tents and think this is a silly place for backpackers to set up camp. Whoa, these campers are in camo and carry automatic weapons. We stop and they proceed to poke through our stuff. Not to deeply, just skimming for effect. These are kids, young kids actually. Most appeared to be younger than 20. Soon the Chicken Bus arrives and another soldier apparently asks all the folks standing and sitting in the aisles to disembark. Soon there were 20~25 people milling about and the three guys dealing with us lost interest as they contemplated the number of folks in the bus.

123448775-M.jpg

Not a half a mile of dirt remained as we got moving. Soon we were on the asphalt and we headed straight to the Pemex. While we were topping off the Ford, the stakebed headed by on the road. He honked and we all waved and grinned. We did not see the Chicken Bus again until Creel, some 4 hours later.

Back underway, only 75 Km of asphalt lay between us and Creel. The road unraveled quickly and we soon rounded a corner and came to south side of Creel. Never had a town looked so inviting.

Intervention Number Four

Intervention Four proved to be a good thing. Upon arrival in Creel we were greeted by the smiling face of Micah. He had seen us pass and come up to the corner. The sweep riders were back at Margaritas. Cool, back among friends!

Micah had trashed his water pump cover and the troops had rallied around him to get him back on the road.

I volunteered my bike and all except Micah and I headed out to go to Basaseachi Falls. It is after noon, but they were confident that they could make it.

Meanwhile, Micah and I spent the afternoon perusing Creel, purchasing souvenirs for folks at home and getting to know each other.

Being slapped down a couple of days ago hurt, but this slowing down gig was turning out nice. Micah and I had some great conversations going and I found one more really nice person to add to my life.

Soon the sweep riders were back, and for the first time in the entire trip, they did not achieve their goal. Like many goals, Basaseachi Falls was over the horizon, shrouded in the mist of inexperience, when they headed out. There were rumors that asphalt was on the way and that the road was graded, well graded actually. I wasn’t there, but I understand that well graded meant mud, and judging from the front of my bike upon it’s return, goo would be more accurate.

In any case, after cleaning up, we all headed to Tio Molcas for the debriefing.

123449383-M.jpg

Roger explaining ...

123454055-M.jpg

Tim listening ...

123453648-M.jpg

Jeremy

123451138-M.jpg

Micah and Skinny

123451671-M.jpg

Mike

123454481-M.jpg

Gene

123454867-M.jpg

The gang ...

123450856-M.jpg

Following the debriefing, we rambled back to Margarita’s, consumed dinner and adjourned to the bar in Margarita’s for a nightcap. Skinny and I soon departed for sleep ...

This concludes Day Four ...

Please keep your arms and legs in the car until the ride comes to a complete halt.

Thanks again for coming and enjoy the rest of your adventure here at Six ... oops ... TWT

Oh yea ...

Stop Laughing!!

This is turning into a kick *** ride!

Teeds--another great entry. I share your enchantment w/Mexico. Six years ago got to spend two months on the beach near a small fishing village 100 miles S. of Mazatlan. Saw many, many amazing events performed by local people whose ability to survive and prosper under tough conditions is nothing sort of remarkable. Because of your great writing and photos, I've added Batopilas to my list of "must visit." Thanks.

thumper said:

BTW great story and pics.:clap:

Stock S Carb. 3x3 mod. 160 main jet ( from JD Jetting ), full Yosh exhaust. Ran without stuttering or stammering all the way from sea level to 9000 feet. Above 6000 feet though a significant loss of power, but thats OK it still ran without any issues.

Cheers,
Ian

DRZwillsy said:
Stock S Carb. 3x3 mod. 160 main jet ( from JD Jetting ), full Yosh exhaust. Ran without stuttering or stammering all the way from sea level to 9000 feet. Above 6000 feet though a significant loss of power, but thats OK it still ran without any issues.

Cheers,
Ian

Wow, I wouldn't think the DRZ would be so flexible at those alts. One w/ 142.5 and one w/160.

That covers me w/ 3x3-145DJ/stock-uncorked.

Teeds said:
I had to leave a sticker ... if you stay in Hotel Mary, Room 109, tell me if it is still there.

123431157-M.jpg
An aside ...
Why do'nt I have one of those?

Nice pics. I did the whole 500+ slideshow on smugmug.

I'm glad y'all broke this up. I was getting mouse arm pump the 1st day.

Last edited:
Day Five - Tuesday
January 9, 2007

Up early, Skinny and I emerge to blue skies and promised sunshine. Jeremy is out and about with reconstructed waterpump cover in hand. Brass fealer guages had been sacrificed to fill two holes left when the corresponding crumbs of the cover where not found, while sifting the wreckage site.

Thanks to a little JB Weld ... good as new!

123470674-M.jpg

The inside ... those are not casting marks ... those are chunks, crumbs if you will ...

123470583-M.jpg

Reinstalled

123470829-M.jpg

Trivia tidbit

How many of you have seen the mansion that JB Weld built? It is on I 30 near Sulphur Springs Texas if you are ever in the area. You can check it out at 70 MPH as you pass. Watch for the gate, it has the logo.

Back to the story ...

Intervention Number Five

Intervention number five revolves around Roger. For those of you that have not had the pleasure, let me introduce you.

123470758-M.jpg

One of the finest walking earth, Roger always goes out of his way to help other people. In this case, Roger had stepped in and procured a ride for Skinny and I to Presidio. In addition, he had Caesar call Hotel Mary to confirm that we were on the road, the morning of day four. He was prepared to mount and expedition to rescue us, assuming we were not en route.

Back to the Intervention ...

Roger had talked with Caesar and he was going to carry us back in one of their pickups. All we had to do is pick the day. Wednesday was agreed upon, which left Caesar a day to wrap up things at Margarita’s and Skinny and I a day to enjoy Creel.

Roger ... Buddy, my hat is off to you for being there for us. Thanks don’t say enough!

Breakfast was served ...

Mike enjoying Café with his creamer ...

123470899-M.jpg

Soon, everyone was packing as Skinny and I watched. Like a well orchestrated team, there was no lost motion, no lost energy, as the Sweep Riders wrapped up preparations for the days journey. They were headed south on the west side of the canyons towards Urique and a rendevous with another Margarita’s Hotel.

The day promised to be full of sights, as Caesar filled them in with tidbits of information about sights and stops, not to be missed.

123470974-M.jpg

123471465-M.jpg

The day proved to be interesting for Skinny and I as well.

First up was a trip to the plaza and the store that supports the Tarahumara Indian Hospital. I had checked it out the day before, but Skinny was interested in getting memorabilia. I was on a quest for a few more things and most importantly ... a refrigerator magnet ... I had completely forgotten to look for one the day before. This I simply could not accept, as my refrigerator at home was but a vehicle to display all the magnets I have collected over the years.

123471649-M.jpg

WARNING ... Architecture to follow ...
123471864-M.jpg

Margarita’s Hostel ... on the plaza

123472180-M.jpg

123472396-M.jpg

123472716-M.jpg

123473073-M.jpg

123473925-M.jpg

123473434-M.jpg

Chicken Bus

123475072-M.jpg

We ran across Roberto at Three Amigo’s and he told us where we might be able to get some tie down straps ...

Three blocks that way, cross the road, left and next to the auto repair shop ... We were off ...

Success!!

123478436-M.jpg

Apparently you can get Carta Blanca while waiting on your car to be fixed ... nice touch ... maybe they knew Gaspipe?

Colorful, but difficult to find specific things in.

123475534-M.jpg

123476627-M.jpg

Need a turn signal cover ... perhaps a jacket?

123477227-M.jpg

Perhaps a taillight?

123477873-M.jpg

We were successful and left with to ratchet straps ... 150 pesos ... ¡Gracias!

The commercial street ...

123479024-M.jpg

The “sidewalk” back to the tourist area ...

123479563-M.jpg

The sidewalk to the surrounding neighborhood ...

123480016-M.jpg

A serious cattle ramp ... I had seen White Face and Charolais about. Charolais are big enough to need the ramp

123480348-M.jpg

Success at procuring the straps drove us to the bar to celebrate ... The back (Bar) door to Tio Molcas, with Skinny looking the part of a world traveler tourist type.

123481197-M.jpg

After a beer, or three, we loaded the bikes and Caesar headed home with them for safe keeping.

Dinner, yum, but I slouched on the photos after doing so good early on and them it was off to wrap up packing, get our papers in order, etc., for the ride back to Presidio in the morning.

The sun sets on Day Five

Day Six soon.

Teeds, I am glad you were able to take so many pictures. I now don't feel like I missed a thing :lol2:

I just got back from the Dr.'s two week follow-up. The knee is fine, I can do anything I want except run.

Intermission...

I've made screen captures of each days routes...

Day 1 Presidio to Creel

320 miles

2600 ft. to 8500 ft. - I don't have total for elevation change.

124138028-L.jpg

Day 2 Creel to Batopilas

96 miles

7800 ft. to 1900 ft. - Total elevation change was roughly 26,000 feet for day 1 and 2.

124138035-L.jpg

I'll put the other routes as a finish the day's report.

FirstMan said:
Teeds, I am glad you were able to take so many pictures. I now don't feel like I missed a thing :lol2:

Like the janitor's creed ... We aim to please ... Next time, you gotta go.

FirstMan said:
I just got back from the Dr.'s two week follow-up. The knee is fine, I can do anything I want except run.

Great news ... mine is getting better. It still feels a bit loose when I move fast, but most of the time I don't favor it. No running ... ouch ... then it talks back to me.

P.S. Had dinner with Mike the other night, didn't even think about the tires until I was half way to his house. He is tied up with his sweetie this weekend, so maybe next week. I have to go to Fort Stockton on Monday, but will be back Wednesday night late.

Day Six - Wednesday
January 10, 2007

Well, today is our trip back to the US.

I am a bit melancholy about the way Mexico has turned out. I accept responsibility for my situation. As I mentioned above in the report, I had many warnings about this trip that I chose to ignore. I was swatted down by the adventure, but thankfully there appears to be no permanent damage to hinder further adventures. Time heals all wounds. My knee is getting better and frankly, I probably could be back riding by now, but that is a questions that would have to remain unanswered, as the bikes are loaded in Caesar’s truck, and all we await, is his arrival.

One last breakfast and we are gathered our gear in the lobby. Five hundred pesos, one room key and we are good to go. Just before 9:00 AM, Caesar arrives, we toss our gear in the truck and we are off.

Now I would get to see what I missed in the darkness of Friday night. I had heard comments that it looked like the National Geographic photos of Switzerland.

Darn close in my book ... having never been to the continent anyway.

123512059-M.jpg

123512180-M.jpg

Skinny with our bikes at an el baño break

123513789-M.jpg

There were apple orchards everywhere. The trees were dormant and the surroundings quiet, but I am betting the area bustles with activity during the growing season. They had constructed a very elaborate retractable netting system that is used to protect the trees from birds. Interesting, but I didn’t get a photo.

Chihuahua came and went. We had one wrong turn near the airport, ,but all in all, we found the quickest route around Chihuahua. I had my GPS on the dash of the truck, so I captured it all.

I will be posting a copy of my track info in the GPS forum, once I clean it up.

Two strange buildings ... I love weird architecture

123514442-M.jpg

123514909-M.jpg

Soon we hit the toll road and came to the toll booth ... Interesting to reflect on how much had changed in a little less than a week.

123517319-M.jpg

The military checkpoint was more interested in us today and spent 5, or so, minutes checking out our gear. We did not have to open any luggage though.

The Aduana Station didn’t even notice our passing ...

Caesar

123517698-M.jpg

Soon we were in Ojinaga and at the border ... the crossing process could not have gone smoother. We turned in our vehicle permit and were only stopped briefly by the US border guards. Caesar took us straight to our trucks, after a mercy stop to get some worm dirt for Jeremy. It seems he did not have enough Skoal for the trip ...

Dinner was back at the Oasis ...

About 12:15 AM, we got a call from John and got an update on his situation. He was in Chihuahua, but was not sure about the location of his bike. More information would follow in the AM.

Sleep came quickly ...

Like Daffy said ... That’s all Folks!

I will post a conclusions thread soon, with thoughts about the trip.

After reading Teeds' trip report, I've decided that it was a lot more fun than my version. :clap: I spent months getting amped up to run with the big dogs, and when I found myself un-able to continue, it took a few days to wind down and re-adjust my expectation for the rest of the trip. I was primed for 8 or 9 days of blood & guts, but had to settle for a leisurely few days of sitting in the sun and enjoying the surroundings. An extra day spent in Batopilas, and another in Creel gave Teeds and I the opportunity to enjoy the area, and it was well worth the time spent.

grp1.jpg

Teeds was a welcome compadre, always quick with a smile, and if I had to be stranded in Mexico, I couldn't have ask for a better partner.

truck1.jpg

Our trip ended in the back of a pick-up, but we learned a lot and with that knowlege, the next trip will be be even better. I'm already planning a return just as soon as anyone else gives some indication of some free time...stay tuned for another adventure, coming soon

Skinny

Just glad everyone made it home with their bikes and generally in one piece!

Great stuff folks. Kills me to have missed it and the Terlingua ride in November :tears:

tx246 said:
DAY 1 THE LONG RIDE IN

It’s later in the afternoon and we are headed to the motel for which we have a letter to hand to a Paco y Christina in a small pueblo that is well before Urique. We find the hotel and it is closed up but from the outside it is fantastic. The main lodge is literally perched on a private canyon. There is a 5ft walkway across the front of the Lodge and after that is some serious air.

123149564-M.jpg

Inside the lodge is a center fireplace that has a good 10 ft opening on both sides. It isn’t long before Paco y Christina show up and get things going. Hot water heaters fired up/fires built/and dinner started are all a going. We sit in front of the fireplace and start draining Tecates.

123148276-M.jpg

123148574-M.jpg

123148910-M.jpg

Dinner is served and it is delicious. We retire to our rooms, which are ridiculous. In the States, the only way I could get close to one of these rooms is if I worked there. They are that nice.

123147685-M.jpg

Roger does have a problem in his room as he turns back the sheet to find a big iguana in the middle of his bed. The help come in armed with brooms and herd the critter outside. I sleep like a rock once again.

Great trip report and outstanding thread all around. Do you happen to know the name of this hotel just short of Urique?

Did you turn around at Urique because of time limits on the trip or because the "road" ended? How deep was the water at the river crossing and do you know if it becomes impassable for dual sports if it rains hard?

If there is more "road" past Urique, where does it go? Does it follow the train to Los Mochis? Thanks in advance.

Wow!!!

I enjoyed reading every post on this thread, as well as the outstanding photos.
Thanks for taking the time to share it all. I really appreciate it.

I hate it when bad things happen to good people on a trip like that, although it's good to see Teeds and Skinny made the most of their misfortune.

thanks again for the posts

Mexico is definitely in my future.

-Chadley:-P

stevenrosenblatt Great trip report and outstanding thread all around. Do you happen to know the name of this hotel just short of Urique? Did you turn around at Urique because of time limits on the trip or because the "road" ended? How deep was the water at the river crossing and do you know if it becomes impassable for dual sports if it rains hard? If there is more "road" past Urique said:
The Hotel before Urique is called the Wilderness Lodge and it is owned by Margaritas.

We turned around at Urique because of the river and lack of maps/GPS. The road does continue further down the canyon and you have to cross the river. We could have done it because according to another guy we met in Urique a guy offered to take him across in a truck. From what Cesar said Batopilas to Urique is a good trip and we will do it next time. Cesar also said that Urique to Los Mochis is also a good trip. We will see

Wow, I'm jealous. Where do you guys find the time and kitchen passes???

Back