• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Teaser!!!

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Thomas
Just got home from one of the best motorcycling weekends of my life. The country, the roads, the people, the weather, and the food, combined in an orgiastic tumult of fun, fun, fun! I am so darn tired right now (12 hour ride home will do that to you) and only have the strength to post up a couple of pics and tell just a little about the adventure.

Me and my buddy Bob took off Thursday night and drove straight thru to BB. We had my trailer and his chevy 2500 to help us carry the bike and camping gear (I highly recommend this mode of transport:trust: ). Our drive is basically pretty boring with one poor little bunny sacrificing himself to the Detroit-Steel Bunny-Wagon-of-Death. We arrived in BB at roughly 0730 hrs and wait for Panther Junction to open so we can get our park pass. We get to the Rio Grande Campsite and setup. We are done at roughly 1030hrs and decide to forgo a nap and get some food. We head into Terlingua and stop at Starlit to check it out but it doesn't open until 5 for dinner. We head back into Study Butte and almost stop at the Kosmic Kowgirl but decide to head to the small mexican place (Los Paisano's) next to it. Excellent grub.

We then head back into the park and decide to explore some of river road go to the gravel pit and the banks of the rio grande. We then head back over to the Hot Springs and check it out. Nice and clear with no silt. 120 plus miles with no sleep in the past 24 hours; we head back to the campground to catch some z's. Once there I ride around the area real quick and come upon a bunch of good-hearted miscreants from around and about the Houston area. Please forgive if I mess up names or bikes:

Tom/Desert Skies/BMW GS1200
Bruce/???/BMW GS1150
Joe/supernitro/Suzuki DR650SE
Bill/thirdcoast/Suzuki DR650SE

They are a great group of guys that make a mean fajitas! We spent two nights breaking bread and telling lies with one another. Couldn't of had better company. These guys are what makes TWT and motorcyclist's in general, such great people to be around. Just as we got done carousing and drinking our fair share of fire-water and were preparing to slumber, another BMW comes late to the party. John, on his beautiful, extremely farkled, Black and White GS 1200 have arrived!

I'm really tired so I'll post some pics and then fix up my blog and get the rest of the ride out to you folks.

The Oklahoma Players:
theplayers.jpg

My Little Home Away From Home:
tent.jpg

The entrance/exit to the Rio Grande Campground:
tunnel-1.jpg

What I Came For:
yeehaa.jpg

A shot from a high spot:
mountaintop.jpg

John doing his world famous "Wind, Wind, Go Away" dance (at least I didn't post the one of you peeing off a cliff!):
JohnDances.jpg

One of my favorite views (Heading into Colorado Canyon on 170):
coloradocanyontopview.jpg

Marfa Courthouse:
marfacourthouse.jpg

A Warning to Us Afraid of Dirt:
offroadsign.jpg

The Famous Big Bend Blue Bonnets were kind of enough to pose:
BigBendbluebonnetsandstrom.jpg

Strom needs a break!:
tepee7.jpg

Another Sticker for my collection:
sticker.jpg

A Great Place to Ride:
BigBendsign.jpg

A Great Place to Eat (Los Paisono's):
LosPaisanos.jpg

Another Sign:
bbsign5-1.jpg

A little pre-route prep talk given by yours truly:
PreridePlanning.jpg

The DR Brothers:
drbrotherhood.jpg

A face full of ugly (I keed, I keed!):
facefullofugly-1.jpg

My dog Koa doing his best BMW GS impression (not too bad considering he can't even "Sit"!):
koanbmw.jpg

Are you sure I wasn't just going through my "preflight check"? Definitely a Grand Adventure, glad to see you guys made it home safely. -John :clap:

Excellent! Glad it was a good trip! :thumb:

I am glad you trucked the bikes down - when I heard you were about to leave on Thursday, I was really worried about the cold - Friday morning was the coldest it has been in DFW for several years - in the teens! I could just visualize you shivering riding down... (darn - that will have to happen some other time) ;-)

And good on ya for fraternizing with the KLR types! :lol2:

busarider1 said:
My dog Koa doing his best BMW GS impression (not too bad considering he can't even "Sit"!):
koanbmw.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

The magic of Big Bend:sun: I just love the area and wanted to move out that way but the more powerful force in my life said 'NO":giveup:

Howdy Russ,

We made it back Tuesday around 1PM. We had a great time and was glad you guys didn't mind hangin around us Texans, it was good to meet "yous".

Hope Bob had fun tagging around with us in the dirt. I've never seen anyone eat like he could. When we got back in camp Sunday, he ate half a pack of cookies, washed them down with beer, ate a big salad and some chips while I got dinner started. This was followed by chips and guacamole a few bowels of beans, fajitas then after that, he finished off the meat and onions. Well, we all know what happens next...

BigBend02-07027_800.jpg

Anyway, sure was a pleasure to meet you fellows and I look foward to your blog.

Tom...

Hey, nice write up, thanks for the pictures. It was truley a great weekend.

^^^You know, writing a blog is tough! I started and it just bothers me that it reads so dis-jointed. I'm still working on it!

busarider1 said:
^^^You know, writing a blog is tough! I started and it just bothers me that it reads so dis-jointed. I'm still working on it!
You want some help on it this weekend? Give me coffee and ice cream and I'll be happy to. :mrgreen:

TexasShadow said:
You want some help on it this weekend? Give me coffee and ice cream and I'll be happy to. :mrgreen:

Yer such a cheap date!! :rofl:

(I'm SORRY! :giveup: It just HAD to be said!)

Oh, I'll make it up to you...I'll let you test ride my new (to me) F650.

busarider1 said:
I'll change your oil and you help with the blog. Sounds fair to me!
I'd feel terribly guilty for not getting some oil on me. You help me change the oil, and I'll help witz dah blog.

I'll even buy the ice cream. Got coffee?:mrgreen:

Hey Russ, pm me yours and bob's address and I'll drop a picture cd in the mail for ya.

Desert Skies,

Appreciate the offer on the pic's! Here's my addy:

Hope to meet up with you guys sometime next year!-russ

busarider1 said:
Desert Skies,

Appreciate the offer on the pic's! Here's my addy:

----------

Hope to meet up with you guys sometime next year!-russ

Same here Russ, you guys are good people. The CDs are on the way...

Back