• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Four Guys go to Llano

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
This past weekend a few neighbors and I went to Llano for no particular reason other than to go for a ride. Total trip was about 630 miles, and we all had a ball.

Riders – Bikes

Me – Z750S
thebetty.jpg

Gary – CB900C
gcb900.jpg

Corey – KZ750
ckz750.jpg

Daniel – ZRX1200
dzrex.jpg

Saturday:
We had intended to head out at 9am but were delayed by yours truly adding a 12V socket to the bike at the last minute for charging the ipod and running the mini-compressor. We made it about three blocks before we found out that the road was closed for the little league parade.
parade.jpg

After topping off our gas, we finally made it out of The Colony closing in on 10am. We rode for about an hour before stopping for breakfast. Everyone commented on the chill and the beating we were taking from the cross winds. We went on for about another hour before stopping to stretch and take some aspirin.
rest_stop.jpg

About 7 miles outside of Meridian, our first scheduled gas stop, we found out that Gary’s reserve didn’t work. I back- tracked twoish miles to a gas station we had passed to pick up a gas can and a gallon of fuel to get him to the station. The owner of the store was very polite and friendly, but all out of gas cans. He gave me a 20oz coke bottle his daughter just finished, and I filled that up with what gas was in the hoses. A few minutes later the CB had enough gas to fire again and make a prompt return for a full fill-up.

The remainder of the trip down was uneventful and the closer we got to Llano, the weather improved and we took less of a beating. We checked into the Hill Country suites, which turned out to be a pretty nice place.
hcs.jpg

After a quick break we wanted to go play, and Gary knew some good local roads.

2323.jpg

BB.jpg

We looped 2323 to cherry springs, then back up to his deer lease so we could look around.
lease.jpg

This area was a blast. We rode at a ‘spirited’ pace and generally grinned the entire time before heading back for hot tubbing, beer, and dinner.

Sunday:
Based on the amount of time it took us to get to Llano, and knowing when we’d like to have been home, we chose a more direct route, 16 to 377 to home. I looked at the map, and saw a neat looking road, 1702, that we could pick up in Priddy and ride up to 377 in Dublin. Route was set.

We cut out around 9am and rode up 16 to Priddy where we stopped to collect ourselves and re-review the map. We needed to take a short run on 218 to pickup 1702 then we’d all regroup in Dublin as we were riding different paces. It’s important to note here that Gary had the map. Corey took off first followed by myself, Daniel and Gary. Again, the three of us riding a more spirited pace, while Gary was more content to cruise. A few miles down the road Daniel and I over took Corey and motored on until we though we may have missed the turn. We stopped in Hamilton and Corey swung in just moments behind. A nice fellow came over to check and see if we were ok, and we told him we were waiting on a fourth who should be along shortly. We asked how far we were from 1702 and he said it was just a couple miles north on 36. hmmm, We chalked up the inconsistency to an error in the map. After 20 minutes or so we got concerned there was still no Gary we mentioned to the guy he might not make it after all and he said “Well he may have picked up 1702 about 15 miles back that way.” *sigh* A later check of the map proved we blew by the turn off at a particular s-turn that we all had approached with exuberance.

We headed up 36 following our new directions of go North for about five miles and turn right on 1702. We rode for about ten miles then pulled over on the side of the road in one of those giggly frustrations.

Here is “Wedon’tknowwhereweare, Texas”

wdkwwatx.jpg

Luckily a fellow rider approached and stopped to ask if we were ok.

wing.jpg

My first question to him was, “You don’t by chance have GPS do you?” He laughed and plotted a course for us, we were but two miles short of our turn off. We thanked him and were under way again, sort of…
1702closed.jpg

By this point the giggles really set in. We got a hold of Gary on cell phone since he was now waiting on us in Dublin. He walked us through the detour and we met up with him again after about forty minutes.

From there on home the ride was uneventful, and we all kept the guy with the map in eyesight.

I’m also now researching GPS units.

Great ride report.....I learned many years ago that a GPS and I were made for each other.........:lol2:
Makes riding unfamiliar roads alot more relaxing.

Hey Sean, great write up. Thanks for not mentioning that I ran out of oil... oh crap... nevermind.

Wow! I loved seeing the picture of the KZ750! I owned one just like it years ago. What memories.

Thanks man! here's gallery if you are so inclined. Ironically enough, I think an ST1300 is my next bike (the KZ is staying put, s'don't ask!:))
http://kzrider.com/index.php?option...9999999&func=viewcategory&catid=8&startpage=2

Sean, great write up! I have to correct you on the Goldwing. I said " I betcha he's got a GPS" and then acted like a grind organ monkey to get him to stop. I appreciate you saving my dignity. :lol2:

strange happenstances:
The guy least afraid of his bike and the buck-fifty plus capabilities was the one who made the most stink about the cold

The guy with the oldest bike led most of the time

The guy with the least capable bike pushed his bike far into her limits, was mostly slower in all aspects was the most sore in the days following.

The guy with the newest bike is the least stock but yet gets the best mileage.

Back