• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Pics & Stories] CheapSTOC 2007

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
Re: cheapSTOC 2007

I posted this earlier on ST-Owners.com:

Linda and I had a great time at CheapSToc this year. We arrived home at 4pm after a delayed start this morning. It was nice spending time with some old friends and meeting some new friends.

The Good:

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

DSCF4700.jpg

DSCF4740.jpg

DSCF4734.jpg

DSCF4756.jpg

The Bad (as is in shirts):

image155.jpg

The ugly:

image158.jpg

The only key I had with me broke off in the right saddle bag. The lady in the lobby of the hotel called Porky the local lock picker to get the broken piece out of the lock, Porky then called someone out of bed to open up the True Value Hardware store to make a key. Only problem was they didn't have the correct blank. We made a custom key using a blank for a Nissan. The blank was too short and Porky and I customized it using die grinder. The key looks awful and works perfect.

The good people of Junction made what was turning into a real bad day into just another part of another adventure.

I won't be leaving home without a spare key again!

Porky then called someone out of bed to open up the True Value Hardware store to make a key.

The good people of Junction made what was turning into a real bad day into just another part of another adventure.

Rich, looking forward to more pictures.

I visited the Ace Hardware last weekend to get a few tools and stuff to do temporary repairs. I found the locals to all be very friendly & helpful - H/W store, Exxon station, ER, local LEO, Hill's Hotel, Isaac's... :thumb:

Warning lots of wildflowers

Yeah, no kidding! But I can see why - the quantity and variety of colours is amazing! I remember the "carpets" of yellow flowers from last weekend...

:thumb: on the pictures.

Who was that FJR guy? :-P

Actually rode in at 10:00p this evening. It has taken this long to get to the good stuff.
Left Junction @ 7:15 for Fredericksburg and the Grandkids.
Spent most of the day playing and when they took a nap, so did Grandpa.
Left my Daughter's home around 5:00 expecting rain somewhere on the trip home. Rode on about 20 miles of wet road until I got some sprinkles in Evant.
Stopped and donned the rain liner and road on with little or no air flow.
Got two minutes of rain on Loop 820 and that was all.
Had a ball.
Great pictures Rich! :thumb:
I'll try and post some later.

I'm still not home yet...hehehe....although making my way there today sometime.

GREAT time at Cheapstoc....thanks everyone! I'll d/l pictures and stuff as I sort through them all later but I'm not exactly known for being really swift....either in riding or posting...**ahem**:rider: :rider: :mrgreen:

I'm still not home yet...hehehe....although making my way there today sometime.:

What! you've already made bail? That's amazing! I guess assaulting a public servant isn't as serious as it once was and besides how could you have known he was a SWAT team member. Note to self...never room next to a lawbreaker again.

What! you've already made bail? That's amazing! I guess assaulting a public servant isn't as serious as it once was and besides how could you have known he was a SWAT team member. Note to self...never room next to a lawbreaker again.

Ahem... Queen Coop, you know that what happens at CheapSTOC stays at CheapSTOC! (other than ride details, of course!) :cool2:

Ahem... Queen Coop, you know that what happens at CheapSTOC stays at CheapSTOC! (other than ride details, of course!) :cool2:

Yes ma'am!! sniffle, sniffle, sniffle (Coop searches the internet looking for a macho shirt for next year and gives thanks that Al Gore had the foresight to create such a wonderful thing.)

Lest we forget....

What happens at cheapSTOC, stays at cheapSTOC :zen:

Pooc ponders going into the virtual witness protection program and wonders what his new screen name will be. He can only hope that the ...... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Pooc wakes up in a hospital were he struggles to remember CheapSTOC, but someone has deleted his history file while he was knocked out. Pooc crys out, "Where am I and who are all these people?" He looks closer and realizes he has once again been abducted by the evil aliens from the planet eGttubge' and realizes that the cattle prods can't be far away. Pooc quietly wishes he were back in Lubbock.

I guess assaulting a public servant isn't as serious as it once was and besides how could you have known he was a SWAT team member.

Looks like I missed the excitement going to bed early Saturday.

Molly and I found a great place for CheapSTOC 2008... Cheapside, TX... but it's so cheap, they have nothing there :lol2:

HB and I went looking for Ding Dong Texas on our way home but I guess somebody beat us to it and ate it , there was nothing there . Oatmeal is still doing well though . SEYA

Ok, there's a lot of pics to go through so here's a sampling to whet your whistle.
(Catfreak, please cross-post on STOC)

150858538-M.jpg

150858841-M.jpg

150859084-M.jpg

150859271-M.jpg

150859588-M.jpg

150859948-M.jpg

150860086-M.jpg

150860252-M.jpg

150860702-M.jpg

150860883-M.jpg

150861177-M.jpg

150861354-M.jpg

150861618-M.jpg

150861769-M.jpg

soooo many pictures that there isn't room on my h/d yet but here are a few of the trip down there

IMGP2081.jpg
ready to go!

IMGP2099.jpg
Park Road P1C

IMGP2094.jpg

IMGP2095.jpg

IMGP2099-1.jpg

IMGP2114.jpg

IMGP2189.jpg
the beginning of hills....ahhh

IMGP2204.jpg
We even found water....who knew?

I wanted to say what a great GPS master Molly is :clap: We were trying to kill an hour between Shiner and Hallettsville so we could go eat BBQ at Novasad's (closed on Monday's :doh: )... she found some great CR roads with some awesome sweepers and a few twisties thrown in too :clap:

I wanted to say what a great GPS master Molly is :clap: We were trying to kill an hour between Shiner and Hallettsville so we could go eat BBQ at Novasad's (closed on Monday's :doh: )... she found some great CR roads with some awesome sweepers and a few twisties thrown in too :clap:

Yeah, I heard about that. Mollie seems to have found the fast track to motorcycling success - she's come so far in such a short period of time! It's easy for me to forget to slow it down and take it easy when she's behind me cuz it's hard to remember she's a newbie still. :clap:

Mollie - love the pics! (and they got posted so darn quick :lol2: )
I'm working on a slideshow - everyone is too lazy to read the words anyway. Can I use some of your pics in it? (I have very few with myself in the pic, go figure)

Can I use some of your pics in it? (I have very few with myself in the pic, go figure)

You're more than welcome to whatever I have..I've just got to make room on my computer somewhere for them all...:trust: I'll be working on that today and tomorrow.:mrgreen: and thanks for the vote of confidence...makes me feel so good:-P :rider:

I had originally planned to ride to my Daughter's in Fredericksburg on Thursday evening. Things didn't go as planned. By the time I was ready to leave it would have been much to late arriving. So, I went to bed at 9:30p. (That's unheard of around my house) I generally retire between Midnight and 1:00a so when I got up at 4:00a, I was very well rested.

Launched out of the driveway a little before 6:00a to get through Fort Worth before the morning rush. Took Loop 820 west to Benbrook and then Hwy 377 to Granbury. I decided to take Hwy 51 as morning entertainment in lieu of Hwy 144 to Glen Rose. Hwy 51 put me on Hwy 67 near Chalk Mountain and then Hwy 220 to Hico.

Breakfast was Great...
IMG_0271.jpg

A little after 8:30a I shot down US281 to Burnet then turned West on Hwy 29.

Buchanan Dam
IMG_0272.jpg

The Old Hwy29 Bridge
IMG_0273.jpg

Inks Lake shoreline taken from the Old Bridge
IMG_0275.jpg

Had to walk from here....... (3X Zoom)
IMG_0276.jpg

Noticed Park Road 4 looked like fun so turned back East. Spotted this Private Lake and pulled WAY off the road for a photo. (no shoulder)
IMG_0277.jpg

I was down in the ditch about this far......
IMG_0281.jpg

More to come..........

Park Road 4 and the signage for Inks Lake State Park...
IMG_0282.jpg

Flower shots.........
IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Park Road 4 was incredibly beautiful. It was too much fun riding to stop and take pictures. (It really did happen.) I looped back up to Hwy 29 and rolled on the Llano for lunch........
IMG_0288.jpg

While loading up to leave Cooper's (it was like a mini bike show), Three riders wheeled in looking for parking. A KTM950 Adventure, a Honda TransAlp and a Honda ST1300. It's only the second TransAlp I've ever seen. I wondered if they might be headed to Junction but wasn't sure. They circled the lot and left for lack of parking.

Several miles down Hwy 29 they had the road shut down to one lane for repaving. When I first pulled up this Guy in Bright Yellow was standing in the unused lane. I thought he was a highway worker til I noticed the helmet...
While fumbling for my camera, he remounted his bike.
IMG_0290.jpg

It was the KTM, TransAlp, ST1300 Guys and after the roadwork area, I fell in behind them toward Mason. In Mason they abruptly turned left and because 2 of the 3 were Dual-Sport, I chose to press on toward Junction.

Turned out these three were hardybaker, Cagiva549, and Rockman Tex and they were headed to Cooper's BBQ in Mason.

It was also a sound decision. Tales around the Motel revealed a water episode between Mason and Junction.

Tomorrow we ride......

I was staying in the "overflow" motel. The Hills Motel.
IMG_0300.jpg

Pretty decent rooms for very little money.......
IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Got up pretty early for breakfast at Isaak Restaurant next door.
Notice the part of the sign that is lit....
IMG_0299.jpg

Now notice the other side..........
IMG_0298.jpg

Between both sides, there sign is completely lit......... :lol2:

Breakfast for a growing boy........
IMG_0296.jpg

Two more early souls strolled down for breakfast from their digs at The Legend Motel..... (Ride Central)
Rich and Linda
IMG_0297.jpg

Spent the day traveling with Rich and Linda. Great fun even in the occasional rain.
Loaded up.....
IMG_0301.jpg

And headed down the road..... Taking pictures while riding is tougher than I thought.......
IMG_0303.jpg

First stop was the "New" Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop.
How about these two Thugs.........?
IMG_0308.jpg

Still going...........

Headed North on RR336 with Me in the lead.
I had a real advantage. One up and new tires.
Pulled over to snap this as Rich closed in.........
IMG_0310.jpg

Turned right at Hwy 41 and headed east to 1340. A little time at Stonehenge before lunching in Hunt.
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

The local residents........
IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

It's nice to travel with someone else so they can use your camera to prove you were there......... :mrgreen:
IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

A couple of bikes rode up as we were leaving.
The ZX-14 rider was an "Older" Gentleman (even older than me). He mentioned how smooth and manageable the power was on the ZX-14.
(Rich and I looked and there were NO Chicken Strips. :eek2: )
IMG_0328.jpg

One of his riding companions was a young lady who was walking with a noticable limp. This looks fresh.......
IMG_0329.jpg

More to come.........

Back at "Ride Central" we gather for the evening festivities.

The Legends Motel.
IMG_0331.jpg

Bikes to the south..........
IMG_0333.jpg

Bikes to the north..........
IMG_0335.jpg

I sure do like those F650GS dual sports......
BMWBabe's
IMG_0330.jpg

The Sunshine Restaurant and Bakery. Friday nights feed. Biggest Burgers I've ever seen and me without a camera at supper. (all portions generous)
IMG_0334.jpg

Saturday we had Mexican...........
IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

The Fajitas are really hot........
IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Sunday's diversion............

I was told that on Sunday the local restaurants don't open til 8:00.

I hit the road at 7:15a for Fredericksburg to play with the Grandkids.

Hunter Jacob
IMG_0349.jpg

Minot Elise
IMG_0364.jpg

We talked....
IMG_0353.jpg

We ran......
IMG_0359.jpg

We played in the swings....
IMG_0366.jpg

We even wrote a little........
IMG_0360.jpg

We found bugs.........
IMG_0374.jpg

And we sailed a ship. The Good Ship "Miss Behaving"
IMG_0372.jpg

We finally had a nap.
A long nap. When I came around, it was nearly 5:00p.

A blast up the rode toward home put me in fear of rain by Evant.
Donned the rain gear and sweltered until Fort Worth where I finally got doused for about 2 miles.
Home at 10:00p and the weekend is finally over.

Had a really great time....... :thumb:

Back