• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Three chicks went to the Hen House and...

Reaction score
...had a lot of FUN!!

I'm just back from riding with Squeaky and BMWBabe, Squeaky wanted to scout the route for a future ride and check out a place called "The Hen House" in Riverside. I'm off to upload my pictures and will post my write-up soon. I just wanted to get the thread started! ;-)

Looking forward to your pictures. You do a real good job!

Looking forward to your pictures. You do a real good job!

That's cuz she comes on a ride packing heat! (A digital SLR and tripod, that is)

I've already been told that I'm the first to catch a pic of Ana and the Strom in action, so let me get mine uploaded...

Squeaky, BMWBabe and myself met this morning at about 10 am. in The Woodlands. After a nice cup of java we al got geared up and ready to go.

hh1.jpg

We then headed to Riverside, through several scenic roads...Included some unpaved ones, courtesy of Mr Garmin....:giveup: ....What I had failed to mention to them this morning is that I had never been on dirt roads with the Strom, and other than some accidental encounters with gravel roads when I had the VTX (followed by a quick u-ey and back to the blacktop) I had pretty much NO experience in the matter. I kept going and thought that this would be as good a chance as any to learn, after all I have a dual-sport bike and was not riding alone. After I started relaxing I really started enjoying it, even though some wet, muddy spots raised the pucker factor a couple of notches on this trail-riding newby....

Finally, we arrived at our lunch destination, the "Hen House:"

hh2.jpg

What a cute little place!!! The food was EXCELLENT, as well as the service

hh4.jpg

The decor was all...well...."hen-themed"....

hh5.jpg

hh7.jpg

[insert Jessica Simpson voice] And finally I solved the mistery of where does the chicken fried steak come from:

hh6.jpg

We met a nice lady, "Millie," who was elated of seeing three women riding her own, and went on to tell us how at 55 she is now a drag-racing rookie. She even shared some pictures of her car with us!!! Unfortunately she didn't want to let me take her picture, she didn't feel "presentable" enough....to three biker women covering their helmet hair with an assortment of baseball caps and do-rags...oh welll....

hh8.jpg

On the way out I showed the girls the bridge over the TRinity river, the same one I posted on my Edom pie run report.

hh10.jpg

Squeaky took the lead again and found a nice photo-op spot near the lake:

hh12.jpg

On the way back to Conroe we rode on one more dirt road. This time I stopped to take a pic of my Strom on its first day riding off road...

hh15.jpg

We stopped in Conroe for more coffee and to take a break before the ride home. It was a good thing we stayed there so long, I think that really helped in missing the rain that must have fallen over KAty at about that time. When I went home it looked like it rain quite a bit.

I have a few more pics here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v290/anaconda_aggie/Riverside May 2007/

I had FUN, thanks Squeaky for putting the ride together!!!

Wow, now THAT was fast!

I got a pic of Millie before she knew what I was doing. I'm still working on it...

:popcorn: I just LOVE "to be continued".... come on Squeaky we're waiting.....

We should have made some kind of agreement about unflattering pics......too late now though.....I've got some lovely ones of you guys too :lol2: :lol2:

It will take me a little longer though

...Included some unpaved ones, courtesy of Mr Garmin....:giveup:

That is nothing to do with Mr Garmin and a lot to do with Squeaker my thinks. The first ride on my Speedie (odometer reading less than 100 miles)Squeaker is leading and "oh, look we have to go down a gravel road".:giveup:

That is nothing to do with Mr Garmin and a lot to do with Squeaker my thinks. The first ride on my Speedie (odometer reading less than 100 miles)Squeaker is leading and "oh, look we have to go down a gravel road".:giveup:

WEll, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt...:mrgreen:

Had I been riding the VTX we would still be there trying to get the thing out of the mud....

BMWbabe's jealous husband here. Jealous because I spent the day running errands in the cage. :miffed: The only consolation was that five of the stops I made today were at motorcycle shops - five because I was trying to collect all the Chatterbox headsets and extension cables I needed for setting up two bikes with rider-passenger and bike-to-bike com systems. Still short one headset and one extension cable. :giveup:

Mollie, I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day present! :rider:

The fancy hair was a nice touch, and provided a girly addition to the last-minute ladies ride.

152008329-M.jpg

The plan: Scout a route I'd made by connectiong squiggly lines on a map.

No, that's not the sun in the picture - it's Ana's "anaconda" Olympia Airglide mesh jacket in super-eye-burning-standing-on-the-sun-hi-viz yellow.
152008346-M.jpg

*Note to self: Turn off the "unpaved Ok" setting when playing with street routes

When we got to the first unpaved road, I looked back and Mollie gave me a quick nod - a look at Ana received a shrug of the shoulders and a quick nod of her own. Wow, these girls will follow me ANYWHERE!

The "road" was hard-packed and had very little gravel. The only difficult part was the mud - it was sparse but there were a few sections that were rutted and still filled with water between the ridges. Wet clay is SLIPPERY! What had I gotten us into? :shrug:

Every time I got to a section I thought might prove difficult, I deployed the outriggers and just tried to pick a good line through the flattest section I could find. I slowed enough to let Mollie catch up so she could see the line I'd chosen (when others do this for me I know it helps, so I hope it worked for her).

Thing is, the "road" doesn't go where Garmin thinks it goes. It just kinda stops in the middle of someone's front yard.

152021355-M.jpg

The dirt slowly faded to grass and we were now riding on his lawn. :scratch: The clearing to the side appeard to be the remnants of said "road" but was blocked by a fallen tree and overgrowth that had to be at least a few years old. Now we turn around (again - we U-turned during the first ten miles due to my lack of ability to judge distance, space, or time) and head back - back through the mud puddles. yay. :-(

Mollie's super-long legs and light(er than a Strom) F650GS had her turned around and heading back in no time. I went farther onto the grass to get something solid to put my feet on. Ana...

...almost got herself stuck. She struggled to get the bike moving in the soft dirt and grass but just as I got my kickstand down and my leg over the bike to lend a hand she freed herself with a strong, grunting push. :clap:

Back on 945 to detour around to where we wanted to be.

We got to another turn that landed us on a gravel road. This one was dry enough to not be muddy but wet enough that dust was minimal, and the rocks were small and manageable. These new-to-dirt gals were doing great!

152008368-M.jpg

152008385-M.jpg

I was really hoping The Hen House would still be there - and still be in business. I found it on Garmin Mapsource, and then searched it on the web.

It was!
152008395-M.jpg

152008436-M.jpg

It’s small and cozy inside – just how I like it.

152008480-M.jpg

The food was excellent, and they had half or full portions on the menu.
(This is a half portion of grilled pork chop, mashed potatoes, corn, a roll, and salad with a drink - all for less than $7!)
:eat: :eat: :eat: :eat: :eat:
152008511-M.jpg

This place can't hold too many people, otherwise I'd recommend it for a pie run.

152008528-M.jpg

Miss snake charmer herself surprised us by treating for lunch. Much apreciated Ana! :kiss:

Millie laughed with us inside while placing her to-go order, then commented about how great it is to see women riding their own bikes. She was very proud of her newly-acquired racing accomplishments at her age - and for good reason! She seemed like a sweet woman and a tough cookie all rolled into one.

152008568-M.jpg

"Yikes! Gas is HOW MUCH?"
152008575-M.jpg

It's fun watching Mollie's helmet hair twirl around in the wind!
152008584-M.jpg

We followed Ana down the road a bit looking for a bridge she'd gotten a picture of on a previous ride. When it didn't appear within a few miles, she turned us around and said it must be the other direction. (Ok, so now my U's are negated by one U from Ana :trust: )

152008597-M.jpg

Once we got to it, I recognized the bridge. I know I followed Deb through here at least once or twice, but I've never stopped for pics until today.

152008602-M.jpg

Have I mentioned what a GORGEOUS day it was? Puffy white clouds (that make me think of Becca) and ble skies all day.

152008616-M.jpg

152008623-M.jpg

152008637-M.jpg

152008664-M.jpg

As we wound around the lake, I decided that since we all liked taking pictures I'd try to get us over to something with a view. I picked a side road that went down less than a mile and looked like it would have waterfront property. None of the lots had been built on yet, so it made for a decent photo op.

I tried balancing my camera on a nearby electrical box, but was utdone by the resident photog hobbyist:
152008729-M.jpg

While she got set up, I went over to see what the shoreline looked like. I was spooked by voices of a few people hanging out in a boat down below, although it seemed pretty shallow over here.

152008752-M.jpg

I knew I'd routed us over the same road twice, but now I realized it was the gravel road and this time it would continue on.

152008786-M.jpg

(oops, I submitted too fast. more to come.)

Last edited:
[continued cuz I'm a moron]

It was even more fun the second time through!

We headed back into Conroe, this time placing orders for cold coffee concoctions. I told a guy sitting out front with his helmet, “nice SV” but it didn’t seem to register with him right away. After we settled into a comfy corner I went back out to introduce myself and see of I’d spooked him. He didn’t realize I’d come off the bike (I took the gear off and had left it hanging off the seat under a shade tree) and I think it shocked him most that I’d correctly named the bike from this distance. Anyone that’s owned or ridden behind a 2nd generation SV knows what I’m talking about.

Before leaving he came in and properly introduced himself to the other two stooges and we tried to tell him about TWT. (I need to print more cards!)

To avoid traffic, we headed west into Montgomery and took 149 down into Tomball and then over to Spring-Cypress. We split off for home as the sun was reaching eye level, and I high-tailed it down the freeway just to keep the sun to my back as long as possible.

Big thanks to the ladies for amusing me and my silly ideas - I promise I'll label that route DS and try again. Who knows - these scouting trips could be all the fun we need this summer! :rider:

152008858-M.jpg

Sumthin wrong wit dat :brainsnap It was Mothers Day... you're supposed to splurge :roll:

I thought they were getting some, but somehow I missed the final decision to order up the sweets. To our credit, we all got sweet, cold, frappe coffee after we were done! :cool2:

IMGP2548.jpg

IMGP2549.jpg

This was the two stroms and a beemer, ladies' version

When I say it was a lovely day.....I mean it was perfect.
IMGP2553.jpg

IMGP2559.jpg

IMGP2560.jpg

IMGP2561.jpg

IMGP2578.jpg

IMGP2584.jpg

Blue skies, good roads and fun company.

IMGP2675.jpg

IMGP2651.jpg

When you can go riding with people who are so easy to please

IMGP2747.jpg

IMGP2693.jpg

and who like the same things you do, that's a day to remember.

IMGP2665.jpg

And the food at lunch was delicious.

IMGP2739.jpg

IMGP2734.jpg

We even stopped for a photo op.

IMGP2746.jpg

Some people's kids....

I really had a great time.

Back