• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride, Crash, Fly, Go Home.... My Trip to Arkansas...

So much so that I feel the need to clarify the situation there from my perspective.

Please don't second-guess your response. You and Joyce were above and beyond the best thing that could have happened to Bill in that situation. You hadn't even met him before that morning at the hotel and you stepped up to the plate without thinking twice.

I'm sorry that I sent you ahead and that you now feel guilty about it. I thought I'd secured a ride for the bike and I thought I had it under control. I kinda felt like second in command with Bill on this adventure from the start, but having a first aid kit and a working cell phone wasn't enough.

:-(

Lots of missing information exists about the "trailers". So much so that I feel the need to clarify the situation there from my perspective....

Keith, that was a very good summary, and some very reasonable advice.

The planning measures that you spoke of were in place with the exception of #'s 6 & 7. And cell phone reliability is nearly impossible to predict in NW Arkansas. You never know when you're going to have a signal.

All in all, I guess everyone did what they thought they could do. I knew of your situation with the Rodeo and cannot blame you at all for not taking it to Mt. Judea - it probably would have been dangerous to do so.

Perhaps I was too harsh in my earlier post...I feel like I fell short in what I could have done, too.

I guess I'll shut up, now, before I get myself in trouble.

I think almost all of us did what we "thought" was right. In hindsight we made errors along the way, and that's understandable. We're humans after all.

I was taught a very long time ago that "stuff" happens (insert your favorite word for stuff). The difference between leaders and followers is the speed to which they react to a given situation and the ability to learn from their mistakes. I am NOT saying anyone made mistakes here, just that we need to learn from the situation, incorporate our new knowledge into future rides, and enjoy safer and more secure future riding adventures.

And Wayne and Becca - I did not take anything you have said in the wrong way. I'd be proud to have either of you on my team anytime.

Feel like I am jumping in here a bit late, but I want to wish Bill a fast recovery, after going through my little get off a month ago, any get off is not good. And I feel for you... Anyway heal up and ride again... and I hope you can stop playing the scene back over and over trying to change it in your mind...
God Bless
Shiloh

I would like to thank all of you in our group for making this one of the best rides I've had the pleasure to participate in.

From my point of view the ride was a little too spirited for me in the twisties mainly because I had never ridden them before this trip. Normally before I ride a series of twisties "hot", I will make a pre-run to determine the present condition of the road, else, I will stay within the posted speed limit. This strategy has worked to my advantage on more than one occasion.

I, too, rode out Saturday on my own and wasn't aware of Bill's accident until Saturday night when I phoned him to find out where everybody was meeting for dinner. The way Bill explained the situation to me everything was under control.

Overall it was a great ride, knowing that accidents can happen when that little "competitive nature" reveals itself. Let's be thankful we're all home safe, for the most part, and can look forward to the next ride.

:sun:

Keith, Joyce, Wayne, Becca, Chris, and Donovan.... you all went far and above what most people would do to help. Please, please don't have any bad feelings about things you could've done better, you are all my hero's.:clap:

Actually the keys weren't with me, they were with Becca who was on her way to the hospital to come see how I was doing.

I don't know all what was said while I wasn't there and I don't really care at this point. All I know is once I was released from the hospital it was like pulling teeth to try and get someone to a) come pick me up and b) see if they could get my bike. Keith, Joyce, Wayne, Becca, Chris, and Donovan are true class act people. Every single one on this board can take many lessons from the heart displayed by them.

That afternoon after no one seemed to want to help, Chris already started planning on riding back to DFW that night and picking up a trailer so he could come and pick up my bike.

Bottom line is this, I now have learned a very valuable lesson. That was the LAST long "ride" that I will ever do. From now on I will trailer my bike to wherever it is mainly so I don't have to rely on someone else in case something happens. That way I won't have to spoil someone's dinner plans to come pick up my broken bike. But don't you all worry. If your bike falls or you become injured, I'll still drop everything to come help. But that's just because it is the right thing to do.

Like I said in the other post, I learned who to count on and more importantly, who NOT to count on. No names need to be listed, but I'm sure they know who they are.

155281717-M.jpg

Not to rub it in or anything Bill, but you missed the ferry ride and the roads in Missouri! :rider:

Sheesh, I barely got back into town and this [rant]
Funny thing about the trailers. Yes, there were trucks and trailers back at the hotel, but nobody in the group was willing to cut their day short to head back to ES to get one. My wife was there in her dad's pickup, but I was unable to reach her (no signal I guess). I finally did reach her late that afternoon and when she got back in to town, Bill, Keith and I made arrangements to go get Bill's bike with the pickup. We had to wait a while to get the keys for the bike and lock from Bill, and so it was pretty late when we got started. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost 2:00am. Bottom line is the trip into the hills in the middle of the night could have been avoided if someone had stepped up and headed back to the hotel right after the crash. :whatever:
[/rant]

This really bothers me. How selfish are people that they can't cut a ride short to help out a fellow rider that has gone down. That's pathetic and shameful IMO. That road isn't going anywhere....you can always hit it again after you've helped a brother out.

Wayne, good on you and the others that were willing to lend a hand.

Bill, heal up, bro and know that some of us here still understand the concept of helping out a fellow rider in need.

Keith, Joyce, Wayne, Becca, Chris, and Donovan.... you all went far and above what most people would do to help. Please, please don't have any bad feelings about things you could've done better, you are all my hero's.:clap:

Actually the keys weren't with me, they were with Becca who was on her way to the hospital to come see how I was doing.

I don't know all what was said while I wasn't there and I don't really care at this point. All I know is once I was released from the hospital it was like pulling teeth to try and get someone to a) come pick me up and b) see if they could get my bike. Keith, Joyce, Wayne, Becca, Chris, and Donovan are true class act people. Every single one on this board can take many lessons from the heart displayed by them.

That afternoon after no one seemed to want to help, Chris already started planning on riding back to DFW that night and picking up a trailer so he could come and pick up my bike.

Bottom line is this, I now have learned a very valuable lesson. That was the LAST long "ride" that I will ever do. From now on I will trailer my bike to wherever it is mainly so I don't have to rely on someone else in case something happens. That way I won't have to spoil someone's dinner plans to come pick up my broken bike. But don't you all worry. If your bike falls or you become injured, I'll still drop everything to come help. But that's just because it is the right thing to do.

Like I said in the other post, I learned who to count on and more importantly, who NOT to count on. No names need to be listed, but I'm sure they know who they are.

After I fix my bike, I'm looking for a trailer too. Besides what happened to you, a trailer allows you to get more riding time in, since you get there quicker. Also, after a weekend of riding and a small wipe out, the last thing I wanted to do was ride back to Dallas.

Marco

I agree with the truck/trailer idea - getting home yesterday was a loooooong journey. There are very few times that I'm on the bike and wish I wasn't and yesterday topped the list. Took about 12 hours to get home from somewhere just north of Little Rock and mother nature wasn't happy for parts of it.

I agree with the truck/trailer idea - getting home yesterday was a loooooong journey. There are very few times that I'm on the bike and wish I wasn't and yesterday topped the list. Took about 12 hours to get home from somewhere just north of Little Rock and mother nature wasn't happy for parts of it.

I took all interstates and it took me 6 1/2 hours to get to Allen, TX. I'm sure I was going at a slower pace than you.

...That way I won't have to spoil someone's dinner plans to come pick up my broken bike. But don't you all worry. If your bike falls or you become injured, I'll still drop everything to come help. But that's just because it is the right thing to do.
That really makes me sad, mad and frustrated. I can say from mine and Squidward's accident we were in last year, igo-wfo and his wife dropped their plans for the day immediately to come help us.

I would gladly do the same for any other rider in distress, no questions asked. I'm glad to see that others did all that they could. I'm sure it was a frantic situation and there are loads of thoughts going through everyone's minds.

Everything should stop when a rider is down and it sounds like there was some selfish behavior in the group somewhere, that's really sad.

OK, let's move on to more pleasant matters. Ride reports are what this thread is supposed to be about, and I apologize got off topic,
let me get it back on track.

All photos in this ride report are courtesy of Don (shaft drive six).

Don and I started the ride up Friday morning at about 6:30. We met up at the McDonalds in Alvarado. I chowed down on a biscuit while we discussed the plan for the day. It was decided we would slab it through Dallas and eastward, then get off the interstate east of Mt. Pleasant, diverting north on 259. 259 was the straightest, loneliest road I have ridden in a long time. For the first 30 miles or so it's straight as arrow with very few driveways or access. I spent most of those miles in full tuck at 100mph trying to keep up with Don. We quickly fell into a pattern. Down to 50mph behind a semi, then pass and back up to 100. Another semi and back down to 50. It went this way for the entire 30 miles to the first curve just north of Beaverdam, Tx, then it was a more sedate pace through some high-speed sweepers into Oklahoma. Across the border in into Idabel we stopped for gas and met a friendly Hayabusa rider also headed for Eureka Springs. His name is Ernie and he's from Wichta Falls. I invited him to check out the forum and to join us for the ride to ES. He accepted both. We hit the road again and a few miles and some more gorgeous Oklahoma scenery and we made our turn onto the Talimena Scenic Byway. Here's the first shot from one of the scenic turnout. It shows me talking to Ernie about his beautiful - de-stickered - Busa.
ride004.jpg

Don, aka "Blue Wolf", proudly posing behind his Wing.
ride005.jpg

My ZRX against the Oklahoma backdrop.
ride006.jpg

Myself and Ernie enjoying brief rest after the spirited pace to the turnout.
ride009.jpg

Ernie: I didn't know a Goldwing was that fast.
Don: That? That was nothing. Hang around and I'll show you how fast a Goldwing really is.
ride012.jpg

We didn't get any more pics on the trip up there, but it was a pretty typical ride, so you aren't missing out on much. :)

We arrived into ES at about 4pm (I think) and we went straight to the hotel. I unloaded and got right back on the bike and headed over to the Swiss Mountain Inn where the ZRX Owners Association was meeting for their spring rally. I said hi to some old friends and made a couple of new ones. The best part was getting to check out the ZRX's. The guys are seriously into farkling their bikes, and the results were spectacular. Some of the prettiest bikes I've ever seen. Wish I had some pictures. I'll find a link to some pics on the ZRXOA forum.

We had dinner at Sparky's that evening, and it was as good as usual. Great service, great beer, great food, great company. What else could you ask for?

The next morning, Bill was in the parking lot around 9 getting the ride formed up. I asked him if he wanted me to sweep, but he smiled and innocently said "I thought you were going to run up front with me?" Well, since we've been taunting each other (jokingly) on the forum for the past several weeks, I had to take him up on the offer. Bill would lead and someone else would sweep (Squeaky, I think). I rode up front right behind Bill. I quickly learned that Bill is a fantastic rider. I think on the right bike he could easily leave me in the dust. But that day I think I had a little power and tire advantage and I was able to stay with him. Since riding of this nature is not intended to be a race, I was content to stay back there and just enjoy the brisk pace.

All was well until late morning. We passed through Jasper on our way to The Cliff House, but since it was only 10:30, we decided to make a run down 123. Let me just say now that I LOVE 123. The first mile up the road was spectacular. A few sweepers to get us out of Mt. Judea, the it quickly tightened up into some fabulous switchbacks. One after another they came, each one more fun than the last. Bill is just ahead of me, and the turns are very tight, switchback to the right, then to the left, then a short straight, the a 90* to the right and - - - OH ****! Bill is riding a bucking bull! The Strom tries to throw him several times, he almost saves it, then it finally spits him over the high side. He whips over the top and lands on his left shoulder. I'm hauling the Rex down and things are quiet enough that I hear him hit the pavement with a sickening thud. He's laying there. Still. There was no movement as I was running over to him, then as I approach, he begins to roll over. I encourage him to lay still and begin to look him over. Everything so far appears intact. He's moaning and mumbling something I can't remember and I ask him where he is hurting. He says "shoulder". I look at the left shoulder a little more closely, and sure enough, even through the jacket, something doesn't look right. He begins to roll around and eventually he sits up and scoots a couple feet to the edge of the pavement, feet resting in the grass. By now the whole group is here, Roger speeds ahead to the next curve to wave off traffic, and everybody comes around to see happened and what they can do to help. 911 is called, photos are taken, EMS arrives, sheriff arrive, state police arrive, more EMS arrive, and so on. Eventually, they all decide that and ambulance ride to Fayetteville, where the nearest orthopedist is, will take too long by ground, so they call in the air evac. While all this was going on, Don got some pretty good pics of the scene.

In these first two, you can see somebody in the background sweeping the gravel that caused the accident off the road. Nice shots, Don.
ride013.jpg

ride014.jpg

ride018.jpg

ride020.jpg

ride021.jpg

A random bit of beauty amidst all the ugliness of a crash.
ride023.jpg

After EMS got Bill down to the chopper and safely on his way to the hospital, we decided to -carefully- head over to the Cliff House to get some food. Melanie was stressed and hungry and we wanted to get he fed before her ride to Fayetteville. Sadly, for me though, the Cliff House was not all it was hyped up to be. The service was horrible and my burger was tough and chewy. The only thing good I can say about the place was the view. Without a doubt the nicest view out a restaurant window I've ever seen. (One possible exception is the view from the old Reatta's when it was at the top of the Bank One tower in downtown Ft. Worth. Spectacular)
ride024.jpg

ride028.jpg

ride034.jpg

ride037.jpg

ride037.jpg

Squeaky and I planning the ride for the afternoon. She was going to head over to the hospital with Melanie and I think Donovan. Somehow, amidst all this planning, I was elected the new ride leader. God help us.
I think these might be the only pictures captured of Squeakers.
ride038.jpg

ride040.jpg

Sunday, the group seemed to fragment quite a bit. Thanks to Roger and Doug (?), I was up early despite my long night fetching Bills bike. Thanks alot guys! ;) I told them to head out without me as I wanted to spend the morning with my wife. She came up in the pickup to spend the evenings with me, and so far I had barely gotten to see her. So we got breakfast and did the tourist thing in ES while everyone else was out riding. At about noon, my wife loaded up and headed back to Texas, and I met up with Don, Roger and Doug (I hope I'm getting that name right :doh: ). We have lunch and headed out for more riding. We went on a leisurely loop not too far from ES, then ended coming back through town again in search of the Beaver Bridge. We eventually found it took the opportunity to get a drink of water and take a few pics.

ride047.jpg

ride051.jpg

ride053.jpg

ride065.jpg

The shots you see of the bikes coming across the bridge were preceded by a little drama. I got on the far side to take the pics while the other 3 bikes crossed over. As they started across, a truck zoomed up and before I could say anything he started across too! They met in the middle. There was actually enough room for them to pass as the bikes had scooted up close to the side, but the pickup driver decided to take the opportunity to be a "donkey". Words were exchanged, gestures were shown, and eventually he moved on. I took a few distance shots of the exchange, but for some reason Don didn't give those to me. ;)

The trip home started out with a bad omen. Don's tire was low. Really low at about 15psi. We got it over to the service station and aired it back up, wondering if it would hold. Well it turns out is wasn't going to. Within and hour, it was back down, and we were forced to stop. A small roadside sore had some fix-a-flat, so he put in a can, aired up the tire again, and off we headed. Before we got to the store, Don offered to take a few shots of me as I rode by. Here are a couple that turned out nice. These look eerily similar to the ones we took last year like this.

ride079.jpg

ride080.jpg

By the time we got to Ozark, we stopped for breakfast and it was clear the fix-a-flat wasn't holding. Don had discovered the source of the leak was a cracked valve stem. In a moment of pure genius, he bought some super glue from a Dollar Store, slathered it on the valve stem, held it for a minute, then aired it up again. Lo and behold, it held! So we load up and head 25 miles in the wrong direction to get to the only bike shop we can find, and they fix the Wing right up. No biggie, only a couple hours lost time.

Well, that would have been fine and dandy, if only we hadn't gotten lost. Don's GPS became possessed and led us on a wild goose chase through southwestern Arkansas. I'll save you the boredom of the entire story, but suffice it to say we didn't get home until after 9:00pm.

Ugh. I was whipped.

Sweet pics Wayne!!! Sorry I missed out on Sunday's ride. I've still never seen that bridge in all the times I've been up there. Next time for sure!!!

Nice pics Wayne!

The view from Cliffs would almost make up for bad food

Nathan,
ya the view was nice.. but when it takes asking 4 times for the check and 20 mins just to get it. I would have to say i don't think i will be back..

I would just like to say that I really appreciate all of the people that helped Bill and I. Thank you Wayne, and Keith for staying up so late and getting Bill's bike back to the camp ground. Thank you to Keith and Joyce for coming and getting Bill from the hospital. And thank you to Chris and Becca for riding with me all the way to the hospital. Thank you all for putting up with me, I know I was a little bit shaky at times.

Hey Bill,
Nathan (my son) was wondering if you were fixed yet? he wants to go for a ride and thought it would be fun if you were there.. also he was up set that the rocks made you fall and to watch out for the bad rocks next time.. but its cool you got to ride in a chopper.. so there you have incite of at 7 yr old..

Back