• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Pie Run VI - Medina, TX

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
Ok, pics from today's pre-pie scouting run. Photo credit goes to Don_Alejo - I was too busy having fun riding, so I only took a few and now my camera is wet... It's out drying near the fan so hopefully it'll be OK for tomorrow.

Bandera
167967073-M.jpg

Somewhere along 16
167967078-M.jpg

167967081-M.jpg

Descending into the lush, green valley
167967084-M.jpg

And up again...
167967095-M.jpg

It was a virtual Strom Fest!
167967106-M.jpg

Dinner with the folks staying at the Executive (uh, nothing real "exec" about it) Inn in Comfort
167967117-M.jpg

We're home. No rain on the way, but we're all needing to rest a bit. Will post report later...

We're home. No rain on the way, but we're all needing to rest a bit. Will post report later...

Hi,

I enjoyed meeting the gang and tasting the delicious pie freshly made from the apples of the nearby orchard. I plan to post additional pictures later, but I bet there will be plenty of pics from others coming soon.

3amigos.jpg

The questionable weather turned out to be a blessing. It it not often in July where the temperature is at 80 degrees in the middle of the day. We managed to stop at a nice swimming hole on the Blanco River on the return trip. It was great way to conclude the day's ride.

Thanks again for planning this gathering in such a lovely setting.

Best,

Red

Last edited:
Early this morning I called my buddy Marc to try to covertly and non-chalantly back out of our plans to go for a ride today. It seems that Responsible Fletch wanted to whittle down the page and a half 'To-Do' list for the trip to Colorado coming up in 6 days. Fortunately, Spontaneous Fletch is not only extremely pliable but also generally dominant over that old stick-in-the-mud Responsible Fletch.

So, with beautiful skies smiling down on me during my morning run today I schizophrenically decided to hit the road for the Pie Run to Medina. A few miles into the run I had a conversation with another runner that went something like this:

Fellow Runner (innocently enough): Hey, whatcha gonna do today?

Me: Go for a ride.

FR: Really, where you going?

Me: Medina

FR: Uh, where is Medina?

Me: Oh, it's out past Bandera near Leakey and Lost Maples and such...

FR (mildly perplexed): Wow, that's sure a long way to go just for a ride.

Me: Not really. It's only about 300 miles out and back.

FR: But...just...to...ride?

Me (sheepishly): Well, we're gonna get a burger at the orchards.

FR: Still, that's a long way.

Me (realizing I cannot explain any better): It's a really good burger.

FR: (Awkward silence)

The weather was fantastic all the way out to Medina. If there has been a more pleasant final day of June in Central Texas I certainly cannot remember it. The landscape was as verdant as I can ever recall.

We didn't leave Austin until almost 10am so we didn't arrive at the orchard until noon but there were still several dozen motorcycles parked in front of the orchard. It would have been worth the ride just to see the bikes and all their different setups.

We didn't talk to much anyone while we were greedily devouring our burgers (boy, those are good burgers! :eat: ). However, on the way out (while we were enjoying some apple ice cream!) we bumped into fellow TWT'ers Randy (Cherior) and Amanda. AusWife, Marc and I hooked up for part of the ride back to Austin. We were all enjoying the great ride up 16 when, about 14 miles south of Kerrville, we drove up on two guys trying to push a Shadow 600 out of a grove of live oak trees down an embankment off the side of the road. It seems a young motorcyclist straightened one of the many beautiful (but tragically decreasing radius) turns. He was okay other than a few bumps and scrapes and his bike was fine but for slightly modified and narrowed windscreen. We checked out his bike and his person and, finding both in working order, sent him back towards home with Marc (soon to be a TWT'er) to keep an eye on him until Boerne. Here is the ubiquitous post-wreck picture of the plucky young rider:

168147780-M.jpg

We hope he will come here to check out his picture and stay awhile. After seeing him on his way we tooled back to Austin satisfied that we had filled a beautiful Central Texas summer day in the absolute best way possible: riding motorcycles, eating burgers and meeting great new people.

-FLETCH

Not much to report. I took 620 to 290, 165, Kendalia Rd., Old Blanco RD., 473, 27, 480, 173, 2828 and 16. I saw some wet roads mild water crossings and no rain.

I arrived a little early and doubled back to a rest area to consult with my "Roads of Texas" map book when Kidder pulled in. Shortly thereafter Chuck, Susan and their group pulled up so we wandered up to the cafe right down the street. Chuck handed off a wheel chock for my trailer (how much do I owe you for that anyway?) and I secured it in my pannier.

The rest was typical pie run. Good folks, good food, good times. I had to ride right back in case I got called in to work and followed the Zimmerman's to Fredericksburg before breaking off. 350 miles, no incidents and another good time. :clap:

We are finally home. Soaked to the skin and made it to within 12 miles of home (just south of Mansfield) when Susan's scooter just died. She said the instrument panel thought it was a Fourth of July fireworks show after we stopped for gas in Egan. The Aprilia made the last 12 miles emabarassingly on a tow truck. Looks like I'll be trying to figure out an electrical problem...

We hit a bad squall just past Inks Lake on 29 and weren't able to stop and don the rain gear. Stopped in Burnet and covered the wet gear with the rain gear. Hit again north of Lampassas and all the way thru Hamilton. The last one we were able to skirt around to the north. Lots and lots of wet roads.

Details and pics later - we are both really beat.

Very proud of the wife though, really a trooper and said she had a lot of fun even with all the liquid adventure... :thumb:

Chuck handed off a wheel chock for my trailer (how much do I owe you for that anyway?)

wabbit gave it be to dispose of however I could - so it's just yours.
Hope it works out fer ya.

Well Keith and I made it back just before midnight. Was a very interesting day. After I rest I might fill ya'll in, till then it was nice to meet Chuger and the other gentleman (sorry I forgot your name).

Rebecca, Thank you and your friend, for just being there today, it was really appreciated. :clap:

Rebecca, Thank you and your friend, for just being there today, it was really appreciated. :clap:

People are more important than miles. :thumb:

I'm just glad you learned to "tuck and roll" instead of BOUNCE like Billy! :lol2:

Got a late start out of San Antonio, but made up some time on Hwy 16 toward Medina. Passed by a group of three riders that “took one for the team” by distracting the local LEO on the side of the road for us. I recognized the red Ducati (white racing stripe on the tank) but I don’t think they made it over to the Orchards for pie.

Pulled up to what we’ll consider a parking lot about ten minutes after 11, so it wasn’t too bad.

p6300039sky8.jpg

The Love Creek Orchard has EVERYTHING apple you can imagine – apple trees, apple signs, apple food, drink, gifts, goodies, and more. I think even the cat is named Apple!

p6300040sqh0.jpg

I was immediately reminded that I had arrived late – but only ten minutes! Come on guys – give me a break – I’d been out by the bikes greeting other riders for at least five minutes already… yeah, and... um...

Lots of friendly folks reminded me that we'd met at a prior event, but I knew at least half the crowd. Long-timers like txmedic and leeroy, as well as lots of familiar talkatives like Gilk51, Texas Shadow, WCZimmerman et al. Scooters, sport bikes, dual sports, cruisers, and any and every combination were represented at this Pie Run.

I'm always drawn to the kids – Cassie and Savannah were here with their Pie Parents and Andy “SVinAustin-turned-VFRinAustin” brought Connor. He’s gotten so big since I saw him last!

p6300042sqj8.jpg

p6300048slr3.jpg

The food was great – and with as large a group as we are, separate named tickets and the “pay as you leave” policy worked out quite well. I had the turkey club with chips and a large iced tea.

p6300049spt2.jpg

While waiting for my order, Scott “M38A1, I look younger than I post” asked if those 33x’s were around here somewhere… Um, you’re coming with us! Judd “Kidder, yeah I’m wearing knee pucks on a Strom” had planned a nice long route through some of the best hill country roads available, and we were going to follow his lead. Alejo “Don_Alejo, no my name isn’t Don” and John “jka134, I don’t need no stinking Dual Sport to keep up with you kids” came along and we set out towards the west.

p6300050sxj0.jpg

p6300053sgz2.jpg

As usual, I left the camera holstered during the best sections of riding because my hands were too busy gliding through the hills and valleys, pushing and pulling on the bars with less effort than I can recall running through here in the past.

As we reached Camp Wood, I was reminded of my poor fuel consumption on the 1k compared to the Wee Stroms and that I hadn’t refueled after lunch with the Beemer and Kawi. I pulled into the corner station, filled up, then rolled into what little bit of Shade I could find for a break.

Dismounted and de-geared, I heard my phone ring in my tank bag. It was a local number to home – and I considered screening because I was in vacation mode and didn’t want to be bothered. For whatever reason, I answered.

It was Joyce “Joyrider, I’m a Lady Rider with a Mean Streak” telling me she’d crashed the bike. She was Ok, but shaken. Keith “Keith, I don’t make fancy forum names” was looking over the bike to determine the extent of the damage. They were on 337, only 25 miles back from us – Alejo and I sent the others on ahead and turned back to see what we could do to help.

It just so happened we HAD to run the same amazing section of 337 what we’d already run through. DARN! Granted, I was taking it just a tad bit slower since I had no rabbit to chase (Judd worked wonders before we split off) and I was now worried about Joyce.

Pulling over onto the shoulder at the scene, I dismounted and gave her a big hug – she needed it. She looked fine, but as she told the story it was clear her mind was still racing a bit over what had happened. They’d managed to get help from some passing riders getting the bike out of the roadway and Joyce took inventory of what hurt, which wasn’t much. She’s a real trooper, and I’ll let her fill in the rest of the incident details.

If there were a tree of shame in the hill country, she would have added her windshield and front fender to the ornamentation.

p6300058sbs9.jpg

After straightening and tightening the necessary bits, we were all rolling again back to Medina. As luck would have it, the skies began to open up (rain, not snow – although it was forecasted at a 10% chance of flurries!) and before we could even find a safe place to pull over we were soaked. Well, except Alejo – apparently the cow that they’d made his perf’d leathers out of was waterproof. LOL

Joyce was certain she’d be able to make it home (albeit slowly) so she and Keith topped off their tanks in Medina and we bid them adieu. Since I hadn’t actually gotten any pie at lunch, I led Alejo a few hundred yards down the road back to Love Creek for strudel and coffee.

We had the place to ourselves, and it was and odd feeling compared to the hustle and bustle that accompanied the hungry, wandering pie runners just a few short hours prior. The brooms came out and the proprietor gave us the news that they were closing, as it was now after 5pm. Wow, where had the day gone? I donned my rain suit (with a little help) and we rejoined John and his ever-classic Connie for the ride back to San Antonio.

No, it didn’t rain another drop after I put the sauna suit on…

Wow, those are some amazing ride reports!

I'm really gad everyone is ok and made it home safe!

I rode with my next door neighbor who has an FZ1 and is not a member of this board. I felt like I was riding with Moses. Every time I was sure we were about to get soaked the sky cleared in front of us.:sun: It was amazing!

I hope to see everyone again soon!

RosscoB

PS - Someday I'll remember to bring a camera and take photo's.

Good Morning!

Joyce, sorry about your spill. Glad you are ok. Get back in the saddle as soon as possible to ride that devil back into the ground. Oh wait, you already did that. You go Girl.

My 1st ride on the 3’s was on my VTX. I was sight seeing and waited to long before committing to a slow and easy curve. I still have a hand full of the grass we pulled from underneath the X just to keep as a reminder to pay attention at all times while riding. God had his hand on my shoulder that day as He had his hand on your shoulder yesterday.

After eating pie and the best apple ice cream ever I decided to head for Luckenbach via Leaky, Camp Wood, Rocksprings, Junction, & Fberg. 337 was nice as usual (my 4th time this year). I took a 15 minute gas stop in Leaky and then head for Camp Wood. I always enjoy riding thru Camp wood and Barksdale on the way to 335, but this time the route would be 55 to Rocksprings.

Riding thru Rocksprings brought back childhood memories when I was growing up on a dairy farm near Cypress, Texas. I’m thinking how these folks would never give up their way of life, a life so sweet, and yet at the same time they have this curiosity about that other life. No, not the life hereafter, but that other life the one in the big city.

As I leave and head on up toward Junction I am greeted by long sweeping curves and the Wing just devours them with a smile on her face. Just past 41 I am greeted with a “Road Closed” sign so it’s a 180 & back to 41. Junction will have to wait untill another day.

Pictures of some beautiful creatures taken soon after I turned onto 41. Hanging out at one of their Pie Runs.:-)

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+002.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+001.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+003.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+004.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+005.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+006.jpg

Medina+Pie+run+June+2007+007.jpg

41 is the road to let your bike air out a little so we kick her up to just a little over a 100 to see if there is still that shimmy or wobble I felt on one of my earlier rides to the 3’s. Nope, it’s gone. Smooth as silk. I recently installed a fork brace because I read on a Wing board that a fork brace can eliminate the wobble and it did. Yeh! We chewed up 41 in rather short order and before too long Mountain Home popped up. At I-10 I connected to 479 and headed to 290 for Fberg.

Fberg was bustling with the usual tourist. Luckenbach was the next stop and after 3 hours in saddle I was ready for my root beer kicker and a rest. After about 30 minutes and 20 or so bikes to admire, I was ready to take on 1888 to Blanco. 1888 is pretty much non stop sweepers that can be run in 60-70-80 mph range and after my rest in Luckenbach I was focused and ready to take it on.

When we hit Blanco I knew the Wing could smell home because I could feel her wanting to take control. She knew the way alright and she took the fastest way right along 281 to 306. It was a little before 6:00 when we pulled in.

What a great ride it had been. My Friday night prayer had been answered in that even though I had been hit by road spray from passing motorist several time through out the day, the ride had been rain free. It just don’t get any better.
:sun:

Last edited:
Got home a little while ago. After missing nearly all the rain yesterday, got my comeuppance today. Had to sit out a strom for 2 hours about 80 miles from Houston.
Had great time and great to meet some new folks.

What a grand time! I left Austin about 8am and just slabbed it out 290W to Fredericksberg, then South on 16 to Kerrville where I fueled up. After a quick 20 miles or so down to Medina to the Cider Mill where I was greeted by the wonderful folks that make this board so fun, it was time to order and eat.

Ordering out back:
07junepierun%20003.jpg

Back of the enclosed eating area:
07junepierun%20002.jpg

The burger was excellent and the slice of apple pie was probably the best
I've had.
07junepierun%20004.jpg

Taking a quick duck to the back, I saw where they were made. I'd guess each one must have been 10 pounds or more.
07junepierun%20005.jpg

As mentioned, this was my first time on the 33X's and boy was I in for a treat. We left out of Medina on 337 and had one low water crossing that was fun. We then made our way to 335 which was the same but different. If you've run it, you'll know. If you haven't, you'll just have to experience it for yourself. We finally weaseled our way to 336 with breathtaking views.
07junepierun%20023.jpg

and then back to Medina.

Along the way on 335, how many people in Tejas can say they've seen these?
07junepierun%20012.jpg

07junepierun%20019.jpg

We kept skirting rain showers and did a really good job of clearing them except for the last 800 yards on 337 coming into Medina at Hwy 16. The skies opened up and we made a dash for the only covered space we could find - the little gas station.

After our good-byes, I headed North into the storm and stopped about 10 miles up the road at Koyote Ranch where some friends were spending the weekend. Stayed with them about an hour or two and headed home getting in about 9pm. Total miles for the day 432.

Can't wait to see 'yall next month!

And on another subject......
Many people were asking about my RAM camera mount setup. It's a base for a standard RAM ball, and a camera mount. The base has a cam-locking lever with a safety pin as well so you accidently can't remove it. The release lever allows you to setup your camera in any direction for video or stills, and with the flick of the lever, remove the camera for other shots. It snaps right back into place in the same place every time. I purchased a second mounting plate so I could have two cameras.

DSCN0348_small.jpg

Here's the contact information:
Mounting Innovations
C/O Barry Jucha
4804 Rutherglen Dr.
Austin, TX 78749
http://www.mountinginnovations.com

P/N: QREMM-SL, Quick Release mount with plate, 1" RAM ball ($59.95)
P/N: QREMM-MP, Quick Release Mounting Plate ($16.95)

This is just the camera mounting base and quick release plate. You still need a bar mount and extension or whatever your specific setup requires.

I also shot some video but jeez, a five minute vid is 330MB. Anybody know how to compress a Quicktime file?

Connor and I had a great time out yesterday. He really liked seeing all the neat bikes and making new friends. Once he saw that Cassie and Savanah had their own helmets and got to ride with mom and dad he has been asking where his helmet is and he wanted to ride with daddy today. Maybe in a couple of years kid. HE really enjoyed waving goodbye to everyone as they rode off.

Connor and I went over the Lone Start Motorcycle Museum before heading home and he had to go thru and check the breaks on each of the motorcyles to "make sure the are ok Daddy" before we finally left.

Rebecca, it was great to see you again. Next time you are in town give us a call. Kurt and Chris it was fun chatting at lunch as always. Chris, Connor had fun meeting your daughters. Chuck it was good meeting you, AGAIN. hope it wont be another two years before the next time either.

It was good seeing everyone there and reading that everyone made it home safely even if a little bruised. Connor and I are looking forward to meeting up with you all again next month. Maybe we can convince mom to come along too.

Did u have any of the soft serve ice cream at the orchard?
awesome stuff.
They have been on the food network a time or two. about the pies they make and how many pounds they use per pie.
later
Michael

Did u have any of the soft serve ice cream at the orchard?
awesome stuff.

Oh yeah! :thumb:

Met two guys on sport bikes as the TWT folks were arriving, thinking they were with us. They ride up from San Antonio for the ice cream just about every Saturday. One of them compared the apple ice cream to crack! said you could not get enough of it! :eek2:

He was right however - apple pie with apple ice cream is THE WAY to go! :eat:

Rolled in at 3 pm today. Did 923 miles round trip (Friday to Sunday). It was great meeting and riding with new people. Ride report, with pics, to follow.

Glad joyrider ended up being okay!

Back