• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Boar Run - We came, we rode and rode and rode and rode and...

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
Great turn out for the annual Montgomery Sport Riders Association (MSRA) Boar Run. :clap: This was only the second time we have opened the event to non-MSRA and/or non-Outlaw Trax members and I do beleive we have a pretty good following for the event.

Each team rode till they could ride no more. Some teams rode the entire event and others gave it their best try. A couple of bike malfunctions ended the hopes of a couple of team but nothing major that a little maintenance won't cure, a busted chain, dirty carb, leaking fork seals and other such activities.

As for as the weather, well Kyle says this :sun: says it all.

As we drove thru the camp area this morning I saw Texas DR, STrider and Woodsguy. Shortly after parking and getting everything unloaded for the parade lap I looked up and saw a pair of blue pants with yellow ducks on them so I knew that Squeaky and FireMalt were there. Shortly after that I saw Stephen Porter and parked just in front of me was ta2240. It looked like TWTs would be pretty well represented at the event with those mentioned above and my crew.

I'll let each of them tell their views of the event but I will say this, I had a blast! I'm sore from a little mishap but that's what happend when you are riding with your head up............. well you get the idea, and you forget about a ditch the size of the grand canyon hiding in the knee high weeds. :eek2:

Pops, you did a great job getting this event layed out and organized. I saw a bunch of smiling faces before, during and after the Boar Run.

I guess it should also be said I heard a couple riders asking "Why did we sign up for this?" followed very quickly by "Are y'all going to do this again next year and open it up to us again?"

My team ran 18 laps. We were 2 B riders and I was the C rider for the team. I want to do it again next year. We didn't get a trophy but I did get this
dsc03192re9.jpg

I went down on the last lap when I ran into a tree limb and fell off into a thorn bush which gave me the scratches.

Unfortunately, I could not get out there before everything was all over. I did manage to get out for a short ride down to Montgomery and Richards. Got to see a double life flight accident on 149 in front of the new bar just East of Richards. Don't know how the riders did it, but one bike was turning into the parking lot and another T-boned him from the other direction. Both bikes were big heavy Harleys and are likely trashed. Two folks left by helicopters and one by ambulance. LOTS of spray paint on the road from the DPS, hehe. I stopped in at the bar to visit with folks, get strange stares because of my full gear and the KLR, and to chug a nice cold coke. It was definitely HOT out there today!

Pops, you did a great job getting this event layed out and organized. I saw a bunch of smiling faces before, during and after the Boar Run.

+1 :clap:

I had a blast and I hope to do it again, but hopefully we won't be doing it again on THE hottest day of the year! New record - the closest airport registered 102F. Add full gear and kickstarting for every lap and every fall, and you've got three teammates melting in front of each others eyes.

Tim (Firemalt) after coming back off his loop. He'd gotten hung up on the Double Dip, and thinks he pulled a muscle coming down.

183278059-M.jpg

Me getting ready to head over to the staging area

183278073-M.jpg

The handoff. They used color-coded hair scrunchies as "batons" to pass between riders. As we came to the scoring table, we yelled out our color, "GREEN AND WHITE!" and then met our teammate to pass the scrunchie on. We could run in any order, but once we picked an order we had to stick to it.

183278104-M.jpg

Each team was comprised of an A/2 hr rider, a B/1 hr rider, and one child (on a 125 or smaller) or beginner lady as the C rider on the smaller course. You guessed it - I was the big kid on the kids course, racing against (and getting humiliated by) kids that were barely four feet tall.

The guys elected me as first up for team "Lame Ducks", which meant a civilized version of a holeshot against half pint my suspension would absorb. I decided to be nice and hand back and hit the trail last. A little girl (must have been about 5) almost came across my path getting from the starting line to the trail, but I managed to avoid her. (I think she might have been the only one I wasn't slower than, and it was her first time.)

I kept a woman on a quad in my sights for the first 30 seconds, but once she was out of view I might as well have been out there alone. These kids were so fast, I was in the woods with 10+ dirt bikes and couldn't hear anything but my own exhaust. I wasn't concerned about staying competitive in the race, but instead was just trying to get through without major injury or embarassment.

There was talk of a racer doing the entire endurance on his own - riding lap after lap for all five hours. I can't even imagine what that would feel like, since I did a total of 3 laps on a ~3.5 mile loop and I'm beat.

Debra (2slo) braved HUGE spiders and thorns to get this shot

183278127-M.jpg

Stephen (Porter), whose idea it was to build a team of this caliber.

183278180-M.jpg

Tony (Hemibee) swept the kids track most of the day, and did a great job. Glad I could provide some entertainment Tony!

183278209-M.jpg

The family of pumpkins based next to us brought this short and furry family member, "Maico" with them. He liked sitting with us in the shade, and I'm sure the fan was a welcome treat.

183278224-M.jpg

Despite the heat, falls, pulled muscles, ant bites, dust, and sand we all enjoyed the day and finished up with a smile.

183278250-M.jpg

Awesome! I told you to just have fun and you'd be fine ;-) Your family must think you have gone off the hillbilly deep end running around in the woods on a dirt bike in the heat of summer :lol2: What has your Mom said...? Or does she not know about this bike just yet... :-P

Great race Pops! MSRA folks are top notch:thumb: :thumb:
The heat made it interesting.
One of my partners wife took photos and I will post them when I get em.
I have muscles that hurt so bad that it is painful to take a deep breath. I also have two LARGE new bones protruding from my buttock area that I have never felt before. I asked my wife to look at it but she just gave me an odd look:lol2:

My team took 2nd place with 21 laps. I give all the credit to our 65cc rider Wyatt Eversole, He is pretty dang fast. I also give the credit to KTM for building the most incredible off-road bike ever built. I love my new bike.:clap: :clap:

Hemibee it was nice finally meeting you face to face, I will see you at the next STORM race.

Hopefully pics to come

I came. I saw. I melted.

AC Cobra - I thought you were on a team with your big brother? Was he supposed to be a "B" rider??? If so, we never had a chance.

I was teamed with Jerry and Shirley Evans of MSRA, very nice, friendly, and FAST folks. Shirley was on the quad that Squeak was talking about.

Shirley started out first, so we could allow the main loop to clear a little bit before Jerry and I got on it. Shirley finished her loop, and may have picked up a couple spots in the process. I took our teams second spot, and the first shot on the big loop. Despite Jerry's warning to take it easy, it's just for fun, I went out and tried to win the 5 hour race on the first lap. A faster rider came up behind me, and I tried to let him pass, but waved me on, and stayed right behind me for most of the loop. I tried to go quick enough to not hold him up too much, and blew out the top of a sand berm, laying over and flooding the bike. The rider behind me was the sweeper - just following the course, looking for trouble and people who needed help.

I wasn't sure at the end of that loop I had another one in me, let alone 4.5 hours left, but when my turn came again, I felt better. Our team raced till about 12 - 4 laps each, 3 hours of racing, and I was absolutely beat. I think Jerry was ready to go for more, but I was feeling pretty overheated, and didn't want to risk injury. - Sorry, Jerry. I don't think Shirley was too upset about calling it a day at that point, though.

I hung out and chatted with the other sane people that had called it early. I saw the Lame Ducks on their way out while I was getting ungeared.

Stephen, I can only imagine what that XT musta been like out there. You should get something lighter. Like a BRP.

Speaking of which - I could blame my slow pace on the big bike, or the bad back tire, or the heat, or.... The truth is, while I've never thought I was fast, I thought I was at least ok. I'd like to thank MSRA for proving me wrong.

I loved the course though, the section of/ around three mile creek was TIGHT - I had to almost stop at a couple places to weave the bars between trees. I loved the Skull Creek and Cravens Creek drop-offs and slopes - and of course double dip and Camel Back. I very nearly had a "pretty colors" moment on Double Dip once, just barely gassed it enough to roll over the top. I was getting air out Camel Back on every lap. (Okay, that's pretty undramatic for most folks, but for me, it's cool.) Great course, Woodsguy, and well marked!

I met a bunch of cool MSRA folks. Shannon, Jerry, Shirley, little Jerry, Kelly, and some I'm forgetting. Thanks for the coffee!!

"Incident" Report:

1. Outlaw's Pine trees have taken a new tactic since our last encounter. Stealth Attack. While before, you could count on the vertical trees to at least be honorable, and jump at out you, now they've recruited the downed limbs, too. I rode over a decent sized downed branch, which snapped in a couple places, sending one piece smartly into my elbow, and lodging another quite firmly between the mudguard, swingarm and rear tire. Now I guess I wait for Mopower to thank me for taking out the stick that always bugged him....

2-4. Despite the fact that I know not to, on three occasions I put a foot down, then promptly drove the footpeg into the back of my leg. Hard enough to leave an imprint of the inside of the boot on my shin.

Last edited:
"Incident" Report:
.... Now I guess I wait for Mopower to thank me for taking out the stick that
always bugged him.....

Thank you!!!!! :rofl:

2-4. Despite the fact that I know not to, on three occasions I put a foot down, then promptly drove the footpeg into the back of my leg. Hard enough to leave an imprint of the inside of the boot on my shin.

On my first lap into the race I stuck my foot down in a corner and bent my knee in a direction it wasn't supposed to... It feels like i strained my MCL for the second time this year, which cannot be good at all!! And on top of that I did 5 more laps after that with a bum left leg! :doh:

It wasnt all bad, the course was great... I didn't care to much for the tight section, My team finished the race with 18 laps, 6 laps each, with no bike malfunctions. I think Im the only one in the house who isn't sore from yesterday, my only problem is that it take twice the effort and twice as long to walk anywhere! :mrgreen: Oh and it was HOT!!!!!:angryfire

This was my first Boar Run, and even though our team didn't have enough endurance to finish the race, I still had a blast, got plenty of seat time, and learned a thing or two while on the trails.

As Squeaky mentioned, we opted to send her out first since I was labeled as an "A" rider because our other teammate(Stephen Porter) was a non-racer and was just outside the age limit to ride the kiddy course ;) forcing him to be our "B" rider. I didn't care to battle it out with the fast guys, so starting the team's second stint appealed to me nicely. The course layout was great, not too much tight stuff, and the 40 minute break between stints was refreshing, lol.

I would of liked to ride another loop before packing up, but I had finished my 3rd stint around 12:20pm, and was having a hard time cooling off. After about 30 miutes in the shade, I still hadn't stopped sweating, so decided it was probably a good idea to throw in the towel and call it a day.

It was good to meet you Matt. Good to see Tony, and Alex. And a pleasure to hang out with Stephen, Rebecca, and Deb(my girlfriend).

Thanks to everyone who put in the time/hard work to cut the trails, and organize/host the event. Look forward to next year's Run!

Ok, as a point of reference - I heard the fast kids were doing 12 minute loops. Is that right? Mine were about 20. Stephen was running 25-35 minutes on the big loop according to our estimates.

On his first loop, he took longer to get back than I thought it should take. I overheard a sweep rider report folks getting lost on the trails and one rider actually found a way to get mixed up and meet the sweeper head-on on the one-way trail. Uh oh! When he finally made it back, we discovered he'd needed a quick break on the trail. :zen:

Ok, as a point of reference - I heard the fast kids were doing 12 minute loops. Is that right? Mine were about 20. Stephen was running 25-35 minutes on the big loop according to our estimates.

My teams 65cc rider was doing 6 to 7 minute laps. My teams A rider was doing 15-17 minute laps and my laps were from 17 minute flat to 18 minutes.

Next year I WILL have a slowwwww person on my team.:mrgreen:

Hey guys...I had a blast riding with you guys. My "b" rider had a bit of a git off, but is ok. We ran the entire time but with only 19 laps. Plus my sweep lap. My first through third lap was about 11-12 minuites, but they eventually turned to 15-16. I hope to see you all at the next one.

Oh and whoever was on the white XR. Thank you for pulling over in that tight section, sorry i missed the "normal" route. :rider:

Hey guys...I had a blast riding with you guys. My "b" rider had a bit of a git off, but is ok. We ran the entire time but with only 19 laps. Plus my sweep lap. My first through third lap was about 11-12 minuites, but they eventually turned to 15-16. I hope to see you all at the next one.

Oh and whoever was on the white XR. Thank you for pulling over in that tight section, sorry i missed the "normal" route. :rider:

11-12 minutes that is just sick fast:clap:

On my 6th lap I did it in 17 minutes which I was really proud of. That was the only lap that I did not overshoot any of the turns. I felt like an idiot because I would tell myself every lap not to forget the Camel Back turnoff or the other turn going into the creek bed but every lap I did it anyway:doh:

Oh and whoever was on the white XR. Thank you for pulling over in that tight section, sorry i missed the "normal" route.
You're welcome. Mine's not white, but I pulled over for you. I only know that because I pulled over for everybody at least once.

11-12 minutes that is just sick fast:clap:

On my 6th lap I did it in 17 minutes which I was really proud of. That was the only lap that I did not overshoot any of the turns. I felt like an idiot because I would tell myself every lap not to forget the Camel Back turnoff or the other turn going into the creek bed but every lap I did it anyway:doh:

:doh::oops: My best might have been 21 minutes, maybe. Thank you both for further demonstrating the level at which I am not.

I blew the turn into Skull Creek on every lap. But not as bad as whoever blew it so much that they took out the little skull stack/ sculpture/ shrine thingy.

And did anybody else hit the flexi-tree on every lap? IIRC it was toward the end of 3 mile creek. Maybe a 1.5 or 2 inch aspen(?) that had been hit enough times it was already leaning, but I dragged my right handguard and fingers down the length of it every time around.

The short but steep climb out of Craven's creek and the last big drop on that lap with the roots at the bottom (dunno the name) were my favorite parts.

Last edited:
The guys elected me as first up for team "Lame Ducks", which meant a civilized version of a holeshot against half pint my suspension would absorb. I decided to be nice and hand back and hit the trail last. A little girl (must have been about 5) almost came across my path getting from the starting line to the trail, but I managed to avoid her. (I think she might have been the only one I wasn't slower than, and it was her first time.)

She has only been riding a dirt bike for a month or two. I was sweeping behind her and got the chance to watch the lines she was taking. It won't be long and she will have a lot more speed but with a teacher like her Grandpa (Pops) she can't help but get faster.

I had fun. I think. I'm still hurting a bit. I think I did more damage to myself by picking up my dinosaur of a bike. Yes, it was a hand full. Yes, I want a lighter true dirt bike. Hmm, seems to me that several kx's and rmz's are just a few feet outside of my office. :nono: But I'm on another bike buying ban right now. :(

Those trees became more aggressive on my second time out. And the bike started handling worse. Oh no, I was way too tired and out of control. That's the ticket. Called it a day before any major injuries. Score one for a smidge of common sense. Can we do this in January instead?

SHNF and or Cherokee are definitely in my future.

Special thanks to my teammates for their efforts and especially to Rebeca for the sickers. :)

Back