• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Matagorda East Peninsula

thumper

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
tim
We made our trip to Matagorda this weekend and needless to say it was "hot".The new LCRA RV park was finished, so that's where we stayed. Nice place, right on the cut, but no shade.

Saturday was set aside for jet-sking. Brenda and I hand lauched it on the edge of the cut. It was actually a pretty interesting ride. 57 miles in all including running up the Colorado River for a few miles. It was nice and cool running the intercoastal and the only times we really felt the heat was waiting on the barge traffic at the locks and the swing bridge.

In the evening, when it cooled off a bit:giveup: I got my DRZ ready for an early morning ride. I couldn't help but notice a few wild hogs on the other side of the cut. They seemed to be rooting along the shoreline and were not bothered by several boats coming in from offshore.

The next morning I was on my bike by 8:00am. There wasn't any breeze and all I wanted to do was keep moving.

This is the cut between east and west. Yeah, the sun was coming on strong!

HPIM1118.jpg

I started making my way down the beach and decided to explore a road I happened across when I was here a year ago. It runs behind the dunes for about half the length of the 20 miles to the Sargent Beach Cut.

HPIM1120.jpg

HPIM1124.jpg

HPIM1123.jpg

There are several branches that go towards the intercoastal and a few bail out points leading back down to the beach.

Some sections were a little overgrown. I'm sure the rattlesnakes are doing well here.:eek2:

HPIM1122.jpg

HPIM1121.jpg

I saw a pair of coyotes trotting up the road during one of my breaks.Too bad they saw me and bugged out before camera range. It started getting hotter and the overgrowth concealling the ruts was slowing me down. So after about 5 miles, I bailed out to the beach.

HPIM1125.jpg

It was time to cool down and lucky for me, I was alone and there weren't any speed limit signs!:lol2:

HPIM1131.jpg

There were quite a few obstacles that kept it fun.:trust:

11321145.jpg

11271146.jpg

After 15 miles of trees, shell beds, washes and all the other fun stuff, I made it to the cut.

Looking inland.

HPIM1136.jpg

And out to the gulf.

HPIM1133.jpg

The flats at the cut.

HPIM1138.jpg

I rode out quite aways and ran across a few more roads.

CopyofHPIM1140.jpg

By now my camelbak was getting close to dry and pretty hot. So I started heading back in. You can see smoke in the middle of this pic. I was hoping Brenda didn't burn down the RV!:eek2: .... Actually it was a grass fire on the west side.

HPIM1141.jpg

I didn't get to the mainland. Next time I'll head that way.

Sounds like you had a good time. Always like your storys and your love of sand!

Hey Chuck we gotta get together and ride the forest soon. Did you race at Boar Run?

Hmm... I forgot the only jetski pics we took. This is out by the mouth of the Colorado River. Not at the cut. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it's been there?

HPIM1111.jpg

HPIM1114.jpg

Hey Chuck we gotta get together and ride the forest soon. Did you race at Boar Run?
NO and was very disappointed! The dock I keep my boat on in seabrook
was being torn down and had to move it. One of the lower units would not come up and tweeked my back holding it up while I secured it with dock line.
Saturday night I still planned to go, but Sunday morning I could hardly walk.
Will just have to wait till next year.
Chuck

Hmm... I forgot the only jetski pics we took. This is out by the mouth of the Colorado River. Not at the cut. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it's been there?

HPIM1111.jpg

HPIM1114.jpg

I am surprised it has just been abandoned :scratch: I would have expected there to be some law requiring the boat to be removed at owner expense, assuming there is a way to determine last owner? Cool pics though :thumb:

You must really be getting good at riding in the sand!

I read a while back that the Coast Guard is cracking down on recovery responsibilities. I don't know much about sailboats, but the rigging on this thing looks greek to me. Doesn't look like much of a pleasure boat either.:shrug:

Back