• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

STORM @ Outlaw - 9/30/2007

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
Ok so how did y'all do? Come on tell me the stories of the bar banging, double jump clearing, climbs out of the creeks, competitor roosting action I missed today because I had to work. I know Alex got the hole shot on his line, came home bruised up and had a crushed pipe and had a pretty good finish, Tim didn't finish last and just missed a third lap but that's not all that happened so let us hear all about it. :rider:

Oh, I posted to the other thread...
Here is the copy...

---
I probably finish the last...
I do not know how to pass slow rider when he is not giving me the way. Ended up folowing slow rider for miles. When he made mistake, I tried to aviod it, and ended up crashing twice.
So many things to learn still...

Ken

I ran into some out of town racers Saturday night at the local El Chico's. Gave them a TWT card. I can't recall their names, but they knew Pops "Woodsguy". Wanted to get out there to see the action but it just wasn't in the cards. Did any of the rain get out there? We got some light rain here in town.

I ran into some out of town racers Saturday night at the local El Chico's. Gave them a TWT card. I can't recall their names, but they knew Pops "Woodsguy". Wanted to get out there to see the action but it just wasn't in the cards. Did any of the rain get out there? We got some light rain here in town.

Most STORM racers either know Pops or have at the very least heard of him.

Well, my day started at 5am. I had someone come in 1 hour early for me, so I could for sure make it to the property on time. Got on the road at 6am, quick pit stop on the way, and made it to the track around 7:45am.

I just happen to pit by Alex, so I chatted with him a few minutes prior to registering, and watching everyone start the parade lap. I made it there in time to do the parade lap, but Ken, Clark, and I were there on Monday, so I got to ride some sections of the course earlier in the week, and decided to save my energy for the race. :)

Made it back to my truck around 8:15am. Unloaded the bike, gear, chair, etc. Started getting dressed around 8:30am, and rolled over to the starting gates around 8:50am.

I had practiced a few starts earlier in the week, and knew where I wanted to start from, but I got there a little too late, and was forced to start from the center. I practiced starting the bike with each class start in front of ours.

Then it was our turn. The bike started perfectly, and I got a fairly good drive towards the tree. Two other bikes were to my right and I knew I could squeeze them into slowing down as we made the first right taking us towards the MX track. It worked, and I believe I was in 5th or 6th place by the time we hit the woods.

For the first mile or so, the rider in front of my was kinda taking it easy, but at a good pace. I tried to keep myself calm and not rush things in the first 5 minutes. He found his groove a few minutes later, and put some space between me and himself(I believe it was D78). At about 3 or so miles into te race, he(D78) got behind a slower rider, and it seemed like he couldn't find a place to pass. I was able to catch the two, and as we came to a tight left hander... both of them got caught off guard by the turn, locked up the rear, and both went down. I nearly ran the guy in front of me over, but was able to avoid him with my quick cat-like reaction. :)

About 20 minutes into the race, my right hand started to tingle. And within no time, it was almost too hard to hold on to the handlebar, muchless be smooth on the throddle. I guess I was a little too much into the moment, and had been white-knuckling it for some time. I tried to relax my hand anytime the bike was straight up and down(which wasn't often). I figured the start/finish was coming up soon, and decided that I was going to take a quick breather after going past the transponder. I was going to give myself about 30 seconds to recover. I go past the transponder in 4th lap for my first lap!

As I was sitting there flexing my hand trying to get some blood flow going, and sipping on some water... here comes D25, and then I see D3 getting on the gas, and behind him is D14. So, I decide that my break it over, and roll out between D3 and D14. As we hit the woods, I think D14 got past me right off the back. I tried to stay with there pace, but end up throwing it away into a small tree where the trail Y'ed.

As I'm on the ground, trying to get the bike up and off of me, D28 cruises by. The bike was still running, but as I tried to pick it up without pulling in the clutch, and it instantly died on me as soon as the rear wheel touched the ground. I get mounted on the bike, take a 20 second breather, pull in the hot start button, and started kicking. Thinking the bike is going to take some time to start... 3 kicks and the motor comes back to life.

It took me 2 or 3 minutes to calm my breathing down, and get back in a decent rythem. Once again about 20 or so minutes into the loop, my right hand starts tingling, and goes numb. I tried to push on as much as possible, cause I was hoping to get in a third lap(which I'm happy to see that NO ONE in the over 30 250f class got a third lap).

With about 500 yards to go in the woods, I could see I was catching up to another D class rider. I thought it was D78, and I pushed on as hard as I could. I ended up right on his rear tire as we enter the red ribbon section, only to realize it was D97(which at the time, all I knew is that I wanted in front of him... later to find out he had a ugly get-off, and was just completeing his first lap).

I finished 8th out 11(I was hoping for 6th), but it's a huge improvement from my last two races. After looking at the results, I was only 28 seconds behind the leader after the first lap. My little break, and get-off killed my second lap, and I finished 3 minutes and 25 seconds behind the leader at the end of the second lap.

All in all, it was a great learning experience, and blast to ride. Huge thanks go out to all the people invovled(STORM and MSRA) that help layed out the course, and for hosting such a smooth event, on a goreous day.
(BTW... this is the longest write-up I've ever done, sorry for beinf so winded)

Great write up Tim. :rider: Ok everyone else, Tim has set the standard. I did notice that it looks like Erik pushed Tim (ta2240) a little in this race and finished right ahead of him. I want to hear about that too.

Lets start from the beginning, Back in the fall of 1968,,, This is gonna be too long so I will jump ahead.

Showed up Saturday morning at around 8:30am to get my work assignment.. I had been told I would be working a bridge crossing all day for the kids and woman. After getting the camper set up and the bike unloaded I went and found the MSRA race Organizer. When I found him he asked me if I had my bike and then he told me to go get dressed and that I was sweeping. “SWEEPING”??:eek2: I knew that that meant 50+ miles on my race prepped bike. He said all the crossings were covered and sweeping was all that was left. Oh well. I suited up and took off. During the kids 50cc race I think there was about 15 racers and 20 sweepers. That didn’t last long and shortly I was told to pull off and go drink a beer. Needless to say I did not argue.

That little story was not complaining but really pointing out the effort put out to the Hard Working MSRA members. They are a great organization.:clap:

Saturday evening I change my air filter and put in a new plug because I know I need the Holeshot. I cannot ride behind people unless they are faster than me. It really throws off my rhythm. At around 8:00pm I start getting a little sick with the ol-sinuses. I take some meds and try to get some sleep but I wake up every 30 minutes with anticipation. Sunday morning I get dressed and everything appears to be perfect. A heavy dew was on the ground and it was really cloudy. I was hoping for a little shower just prior to the race. At 10 minutes till 9 I jump on the bike and turn on the fuel.:rider: Remember I said I changed my plug, well I did not hook the fuel line on the petcock so it is leaking all over my boot. :doh: I turn off the fuel and I get the hose on and then start the bike. I let it warm up and I head to the line. About 50 yards from the line the bike dies. I am in a panic. I start kicking and kicking and kicking and it won’t fire. About that time Alex pulls up and he points at his pipe. It is caved in. OUCH! I continue to kick and I don’t say much to him cause I am about to freak out!! Thank goodness I had stalled directly in front of the TJ’s Cycles pit cause somebody yells, “Your gas is off”!!!! I look down and I want to crawl under a rock.

I get to the line and there are about 11 bikes lined up with D’s on them. I look at Erik and give him the thumbs up I also look at Bryan Groover, my main competition for the points lead and do the same. Because I was kicking so much I am out of breath and nervous as heck. The first 3 rows take off and then it is our turn. The flag drops and BAM the bikes fires and I get the holeshot. I could have pulled over right then and been happy. That is half of the race to me. After the short motocross section I have a few bikes on second place. I hit the woods and I am gone. I cannot even hear anybody. Within a few minutes I have already caught a group of riders from the row ahead of me. It was about 5 riders all packed together. I start yelling and hooping and they start looking back. The pull out of the way I knew then that they were going to assure my lead and cause traffic problems for the other guys behind me. I rode perfect and flawlessly on the first lap. When I come into scoring Barry Hines tells me that I am over 1 minute ahead of the #2 rider. Just past scoring I start having bike problems. Before I take off here comes Erik. I get on his back tire and try to stay there the rest of the race. It was a blast chasing him in the woods. When we come in scoring again he has me by 3 seconds. I will take the 1st looser position anytime.

Congrats to Erik.:clap:

Lets start from the beginning, Back in the fall of 1968... This is gonna be too long so I will jump ahead.
:rofl: ... good one!

Oops... I'll correcy myself. I was 28 seconds behind the class winner after the first lap, but Over a miunte and a half behind Tim, lol.

Good to finally meet you, Tim. Next time, we'll find some time to chat... maybe while standing on the podium. :trust:

Or trying to figure out that his gas is not on! Sounds like you guys had a good race down there. Wish I had time to venture down and play sometimes.

You will have to figure out a time you can come down and join the fun. The races at Outlaw Trax are always some of the best in the series.

Now we need Pops, Erik and Alex to tell their stories. I heard some of Alex's and seeing how Erik placed first in the race with Tim and Tim I'm sure he will have a good one too. Haven't heard much about what Pops' race may have been like.

Here is the way the TWT's finished :rider:

Sunday "C" Classes
Mopower-----------4th & 8th overall
Erik727-------------1st & 29th overall
ta2240-------------2nd & 30th overall
Golftech------------1st & 16th overall
Golftech's son------ 3rd & 11th overall (also raced on Saturday)
FireMalt-------------8th & 60th overall
TexasDr-------------15th & 76 overall
woodguy's son-------7th & 45th overall

Sunday "AA" Class
treetagger-----------9th & 16th overall (Also one of Golftech's sons)

Sunday Over 50 "A"
woodsguy------------6th

Saturday 50cc "A"
woodsguy grandson---3rd
Erik727's son----------5th

Saturday 50cc "C"
Wanna Race's son-----2nd

Saturday 60cc "C"
Golftech's grandson---5th

Saturday 80cc "A"
Golftech's son--------3rd

:clap: To each of you racers :clap: GREAT JOB! :clap:

Last edited:
Excellent recap, Tony!

First off, kudos to my grandson! He is in his first year of racing and because of his bike had to start in the "A" class! That's been o-k as he is 3rd in points and generally gets 2nd or 3rd.

Well the little guy crashed in the first woods section off the start and had to wait for a sweeper to help him get going again. He was able to get back to 3rd place and cruise there

AND THIS WAS WITH A BROKEN HAND SUFFERED WHEN HE HIT THE TREE,
that is pretty determined for a 7 year old! Might cost him the rest of the season now, will know for sure Wednesday.

My story is pretty much the same as usual, 6th!!!! But I had a blast racing with my nemesis of several years! He is a little faster than me, but on more than one occasion I have beat him. (Actually 3-4 points in front for the year right now). But led him for first 1st and 2nd laps, then he passed me on the m/x track(my weakness).

So I trail him by 10-15 seconds and one of the schollboys passes me. About minute later I round the left hand corner mentioned earlier and the schoolboy had taken them both out. I see they are all right and trying to remount and I put my head down and try to gap him, it worked. Beat him for 6th by 20 secounds or so. Big fun!

Top 3-4 of them old farts just check out and are gone. But have some fun with some of the other back markers!

See ya! Pops

PS, Tim, should I tell what your bike problem on the 2nd lap was?!?!
And I saw you kicking! Gas, dude the gas! J/K!:mrgreen:

Or trying to figure out that his gas is not on! Sounds like you guys had a good race down there. Wish I had time to venture down and play sometimes.

Come on down and play with us sometime! Actually a chance we might put a race on in Centerville area if that helps!

Forgot to up Alex's new design pipe.
Boy, he was #4 with this!

pipe.jpg

Ken

Here is a pic of Erik after his 1st place win

From Left to right
Firemalt, McClaughlin, Erik and me

1stPlaceSmile.jpg

We may never get that grin off of Erik......but wait a minute he is always grinning. :mrgreen:

We may never get that grin off of Erik......but wait a minute he is always grinning. :mrgreen:

You know me ,,,always "just happy to be there":lol2:

Got a good start, 2nd behind Tim, but Brian got me before the first tabletop.
Watched him and Tim pulling away from me after getting into the woods. Was having a great first lap,but as Tim said ran into a group of slower A and C class riders right when entering the bar banging tight woods section.. A couple of them ,#'s will remain unamed ,but i know:trust: , just refused to get out of the way . kinda was p-ing me off..Got out of the tight stuff and forced my way by. Saw D25 off the side sitting on his bike,,so i knew i was 2nd ,got to scoring and was 1:12 behind Tim...Knew i could never catch him unless he has a major prob..........Out on the mx track,there's Tim with his coach(812) on the side of the track having a beer and a smoke:lol2: ,Go by him and he catches right back up to me ,screaming asst obscenities and other things i couldn't understand.. I move over to let him by and he yells NO ,GO,Go<Go..So i kept pushing,,pushing too hard made lots of mistakes ,blown turns,etc,etc. but stayed in front...

Had a blast as usual and a faceplant free day---can't beat that !!!!!

Forgot to up Alex's new design pipe.
Boy, he was #4 with this!

pipe.jpg

Ken

Now if we can get Alex to tell his race story and the pipe modification get'em off during the parade lap. His boots saved him from a broken toe and possible other injuries. He is bruised up and limping some but nothing appears broken. What it sounds like is he hit a tree with the left side of the bike and his body before being thrown to the right where the pipe was introduced to a stump. If you look between the two dents you can see the remains of the fluorescent orange/pink paint used to mark the stump.

I also found out that Alex was the sweep rider that helped Pops grandson after he hit the tree. They sure grow them tough in Pops family. :clap: I would have probably called it a day after breaking my hand. Also read that he played the rest of the day with another racer's kids. Now that is one tough little boy!

Pops also has a granddaughter that rides. I had the chance to watch her ride during the Boar Run while I was sweeping. Don't know if she has any interest in racing but if she does she should do great. The lines she was taking looked like she had been on that bike all her life, I wish I was that smooth on the trails! With a little more practice she could really do good at racing too.

Erik, I almost for got to say congrats to you on your win and to your son on his race. Wish I could have been there to see both. :clap:

Nah, he's lifting the lid to spit.
Very manly. Lets the competitors know you'll spit on them if they get in the way! :lol2:

Back