• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lady lost in the SHNF

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Today was a nice day for a ride, Steve and I went riding around the national forest just exploring the forest roads since Steve was on his wee. We were out in the middle of no where just strolling along when a lost lady hiker comes walking out of the woods and waves us down. She looked a little distressed and had a few cuts from the brush. She had been out hiking by herself since 10 am. and took a wrong trail and couldn't figure out which way to go. We found her about 2:30p and she was on her cell phone with 911 who was trying to get the Forest Ranger to locate her. She was so glad to see us so Steve had her jump on the back of his wee and we took her to her car which ended up being over on F.M. 149 in one of the Lone Star Trail parking lots.
Here is the map of where we found her and where she had parked her car.

map.jpg

This is about where we located her.

SHNFrescue1-6-08013.jpg

Here she is on the back of the wee as Steve is taking her to her car, she was so relieved to find someone.

SHNFrescue1-6-08004.jpg

SHNFrescue1-6-08010.jpg

SHNFrescue1-6-08017.jpg

Here we all are after dropping her off at her car.

SHNFrescue1-6-08021.jpg

Last edited:
WAY TO GO YOU TWO!

I think this is worthy of a merit badge for both of you.

My not be the most acurate.. But I think it fits!

BoyScoutRRbadge.jpg

See!! And we keep telling people that us motorcycle people are good people. :clap: Glad you could help her day turn out a little better at least.

Were you guys trying to see if 203 connects to the spot right where it stops going South and turns East? I got there coming from Bethel Rd., but could never find the segment that runs North.

She hiked a pretty good ways! Maybe she needs to invest in a small GPS :trust: Or at least a compass!

WAY TO GO YOU TWO!

I think this is worthy of a merit badge for both of you.

My not be the most acurate.. But I think it fits!

BoyScoutRRbadge.jpg

Cool thanks, I never made it past weebloes. This is the one merit badge I needed.:lol2:

See!! And we keep telling people that us motorcycle people are good people. :clap: Glad you could help her day turn out a little better at least.

We did make her day, I think she was expecting to send the night out there.

Were you guys trying to see if 203 connects to the spot right where it stops going South and turns East? I got there coming from Bethel Rd., but could never find the segment that runs North.

She hiked a pretty good ways! Maybe she needs to invest in a small GPS :trust: Or at least a compass!

Yes we were trying to see where it ended. Your right, it ended right where it turns East. I did try to ride through the brush, I could see the creek so I think we where probably a few hundred yards to make it through. A while back we came in from the Bethel Road side like you did but couldn't figure out where the road went.
The lady did hike a good distance, she would have never made it back by dark if she was to figure out which way her car was. Gps or a compass would have been her friend. She did have the trail maps but she got turned around.

Yes, I did find a trail that looks promising but a big log was in the way and I didn't think the Wee could jump it.

She was really happy to see someone. Not only was she lost but she was walking the wrong direction. She would have walked another hour only to find a dead end. It was a good 15 miles back to her car. She was almost out of water and was already thinking about what she would do if she had to spend the night in the woods.

Anyway, maybe there is one less tree hugger talking about those evil motorcyclists.

Steve

that is pretty cool. cant' believe someone would go out in there by themselves. wasnt' it the last weekend for deer hunting season?

I seen someone walking down 149 w/ an orange vest and a rifle over the shoulder.

The roads used to connect back there in the 80's then after being logged for a hundred years or so that area west of Bethel got wilderness desigination . I used to cut wood in there .
Maybe you converted her from a motorcycle hateing tree hugger to a maybe motorcycles aren't so bad treehugger . I always check on people I see in the woods . SEYA

V-Strom = 1st choice in forest rescue vehicles :clap: :rider:

Good job, guys!

In addition to saving her day, you saved the first responders of that area a whole bunch of walking. Good job guys.

In addition to saving her day, you saved the first responders of that area a whole bunch of walking. Good job guys.

Exactly, she could have just paid us the 5,000 dollar rescue fee I hear they charge.:giveup:

Good job guys. That lady would get a new one ripped if she showed up on any of my S&P forums for a lack of prep.

Good job guys!! It isn't very ofter that we get to show our good side rather than our "back side".
Hugh
:rider:

I can't believe you'd take a passenger that wasn't wearing proper gear! ATGATT.

:-) Nice Job, ya'll did good!

Y'all did Good !
By the way All Trees Want to Grow Up to Be Forest Products!

OMG I hope she realized how lucky she was that you two were the ones to 'find' her, who knows what could have happened to her. Two merit badges for your efforts -- I always knew you both had the makings of mysterious unsung heroes.

Back