• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Novosad's 12Jan08

Reaction score
Well I posted looking for places to go for BBQ HERE. One place suggested was Novosad's, I posted we would be there followed by pie in Wharton. We arrived at approx 11:15 to find Ana (Anaconda) already there. Following in our exhaust was Jerry (Quick-Silver) with a friend in tow. Sorry Jerry, I do not remember his name. One thing you need to understand is that the wife and I NEVER take pictures, we are trying to change though. In fact there are more pictures here than we have of the Grandkids Christmas:doh:.

So first off...the food was really good, the company was EXCELLENT and the place was small. If you go you MUST try the bathroom, the one that " 'round back" :rofl:
DSCF3676.JPG

There is no light in it either, gotta leave the door open.
DSCF3675.JPG

DSCF3678.JPG

DSCF3680.JPG

DSCF3681.JPG

We also found out there is a Bakery in town, I was told by another couple out of Houston while in Novosad's that they have the best Strudel in Texas. They also told me they bake everything fresh everyday. Jerry and his friend were supposed to go there for dessert, I am hoping they let us all know. Here is a link to the Bakery

We also did not make it to the Crying Pecan Pie in Wharton, dang lazy Strom's, all they want to do in sand is nap.:trust: Ana says "If there are no pictures then it never happened":lol2:

Last edited:
Thanks Dwayne. It was a great time. The ribs and sausage were some of the best I have ever eaten. BTW the elderly fellow behind the counter was the owner and he made the sausage. This is definately my kind of BBQ joint.

The bakery is a more than a bakery as they cook burgers and fries and serve sandwiches, etc. They only had pecan and lemon meringue pie left by the time we got there. I got a cottage cheese kolache and a cream cheese kolache. Robert got a strawberry kolache. They were so good they just melt in you mouth.

After desert, we were able to get pictures of Robert with his Goldwing in front of the Masonic lodges in Hallettsville, Shiner, Gonzales, and Seguin. One of his goals this year is to get as many pictures as he can of the more than 700 Masonic lodges in Texas.

Sorry Ana encountered the " if there is no picture, it didn't happen" incident.

Thanks for the write-up. Another must-eat place on my list. However, I'll forgo use of the latrine, if I can help it!

I had to work Saturday or I would have joined the group.
Novasads was the location of a past LDDave's December BBQ RTE.
Bakery next door has homemade bread like my grandmother made.

...dang lazy Strom's, all they want to do in sand is nap.:trust: Ana says "If there are no pictures then it never happened":lol2:

Well, Ana was wise enough to see a doctor today in case the "it didn't happen" incident turned out to be more than Advil and ice could take care of. We're glad she did - it's up to the orthopedist if the break will need surgery or not.

She is good spirits and still doesn't want any pain meds stronger than Advil (she's a tough cookie!), but she's going to be working with crutches for a while at least, and we'll see what the next doc says.

Had to get a pic, since the trip to the emergency room DID happen. ;-)

243190430-M.jpg

Well, Ana was wise enough to see a doctor today in case the "it didn't happen" incident turned out to be more than Advil and ice could take care of. We're glad she did - it's up to the orthopedist if the break will need surgery or not.

She is good spirits and still doesn't want any pain meds stronger than Advil (she's a tough cookie!), but she's going to be working with crutches for a while at least, and we'll see what the next doc says.

Had to get a pic, since the trip to the emergency room DID happen. ;-)

Get well soon, Ana! Call us if you need anything. Sorry that your bike wanted to take a nap. :doh:

Well it all started well, it was a beautiful day to ride. I got to Hallethsville early, so I rode around town a bit to take a few photos...

hal1.jpg

hal2.jpg

The rest of the folks arrived pretty much at the same time, as if on queue. The BBQ place is certainly on the small side, but what it lacks in space it certainly exceeds in flavor...the 'Q was real good. I had brisquet and lamb ribs :eat:

hal3.jpg

hal4.jpg

We then parted ways, and I followed Dwayne and Rita to Wharton. Dwayne found some nice backroads...

hal5.jpg

But we were soon flagged by a local who warned us that the road turned into a really crappy dirt road (note to self: next time a local says the road ahead is crappy...just U-TURN!!!!)

We got to a fork in the road were both roads turned into dirt. I was sure happy we didn't take the on the right, as it had this sign:
hal6.jpg

The dirt road wasn't too bad on the begining, but as we kept going we found a lot of sandy spots. I thought about stopping and telling Dwayne to U-turn, but looking up ahead I thought the road was getting better.... Except it didn't :doh:

I hit a deep patch of sand, tried to control the swerving bike, but alas, I lost. My left pannier hit my ankle, and that's how I think I broke it.

Some good samaritans stopped and helped. They drove me back to the paved area, while Dwayne rode my bike. Then they drove him back to pick his bike and Rita. They offered to take me to the hospital, but I wanted to get as close to home as possible. I rode about 70-80 miles home, had to dodge a cow and her calf running loose on Hwy 77, and do all the shifting with the back of my heel.
Sunday afternoon it was quite clear that it wasn't "just" a sprained ankle, so I decided to go to the ER, where they confirmed the break. Now I'm trying to get an appointment with the ortho (if they ever pick up the phone!!!), and it's up to him to see if I'll need surgery...

Big props to Dwayne, Rita for sticking with me until I got home, and Mollie and Becca for showing up at the ER for a rescue mission....:sun:

Last edited:
But we were soon flagged by a local who warned us that the road turned into a really crappy dirt road (note to self: next time a local says the road ahead is crappy...just U-TURN!!!!)

I'm taking that advice.....learning from you. Did you get the name of the sandy patch and insurance info this time?:trust:

Well, someone needs to bring Ana a box of Sandies to help sooth her pain :lol2: Get well soon! ;-)

Glad you all enjoyed the BBQ :trust:

Ana:

We missed you at Katy Bike Night last night. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! If you need anything (such as a ride to Bike Night, help with a grocery run or a doctor visit, or whatever), I know that any of us would be happy to help.

Back