• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

E. TX, DS Ride, 1/26-7/08 Moscow-Geneva 'n back

So.... when can we do this type of ride again? (Sans the Nemo thing, of course).

So.... when can we do this type of ride again? (Sans the Nemo thing, of course).

Well... there is nothing stopping you from organizing one :-P That is generally the way something like this happens. Someone gets a bug, posts up, and off we go!

I want to take the new bike out this weekend. My brother is on his way down from Tyler at this minute to help me break in the new toy (he just got an 08 klr650 he needs to break in as well). If anyone familiar with this route would like to ride it again tomorrow (sunday) please let me know. I am not familiar with any of the dirt roads around here and could use a guide!!!! It would sure beat me slogging around all day trying to find all the right roads, and its a good excuse to get out and get dirty!!!! hehe.

Parts of this route would be a good "breaking in" excursion, if you feel pretty confident in your skills and your equipment's ability. If you or your brother have a Garmin GPS with current software, the route can be downloaded off some of the "Upcoming Rides" posts. There is a printable hard copy map that is available there, also.

I would not recommend setting out to do the whole thing. That would be a Marathon day! I would set sights on doing one piece at a time (20-30 miles) over several days. The stock tires on the '08 KLR may be a bit tame (street oriented) for conditions like we saw on the 26th.

The section between Moscow and Chester would be nice. There is no DEEP sand, but there is a mix of different consistencies of dirt/mud and some sand to challenge you. If you like DEEP sand, Take the little piece east of Chester, where the route turns south off FM 1475 and ride it to Colmesneil. Beware of the bridge about 3 miles east of the deep sand, it has been known to sneak up on unwary riders.

The return route (day 2) west of Geneva down to Etoile has some very pretty sections which make for fun elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Spots of tricky clay covered stretches can make for fun if you like the really nasty stuff.

DO NOT ride Nine-Mile Road without someone guiding you that has experience riding there!

The vast majority of the roads on the route are really quite tame when they are not saturated.

Here are a couple of different maps showing the tracks from my GPS, and the readings off of my GPS, at the end of the 2nd day. I didn't take the pic until I got home, so the altitude will be that of my house.
OK, now it is time for me to start focusing in on the next ride !!:rider:
m2gtraxmap2.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

m2g08jpeg1.jpg

Wait a minute, weren't you in that water? :mrgreen:

Sorry Danny, I couldn't let this go any longer without a comment.

My being deposited into the water was the KAW's decision. I was just along for the ride, and the dive, and the swim, etc.:eek2:

Well, I'm better late than never... here are some of the ones I got.

That clay section was fun! Great photo ops.:trust:

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

Last edited:
The shot of Ken in action, showing off is priceless!

If you don't occasionally go over the edge, you are taking up too much space. Nobody else rode in the ditch, much less out of the ditch.

there was a guy on a DL650, I think he only rode the Saturday route. He said he didn't go down, but I think he dragged the bags a little bit. I was impressed.

Was there a V-Strom on this ride.?? I think I saw a pic of one. Did he make it ?

:clap:

Yea, it was heroic, or something;-) - he did a great job on Saturday but decided not to push through on Sunday. I think he might have had it over on a couple of the muddy/sandy sections. That was a lot of work!

there was a guy on a DL650, I think he only rode the Saturday route. He said he didn't go down, but I think he dragged the bags a little bit. I was impressed.

He fell a few times:

We rode with him Saturday. It didn't look like he was having any fun at all in the mud sections.

Hey DFW,your new avatar is cool,reminds me off this!!!!!
Had to get the water out so it would start:eek2:

Attachments

• 196849984-M.jpg
    196849984-M.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 264
Yea, it was heroic, or something;-) - he did a great job on Saturday but decided not to push through on Sunday. I think he might have had it over on a couple of the muddy/sandy sections. That was a lot of work!

I would not call it heroic. This guy was heroic, could barely reach the ground and was flying through Africa:
gaston_rahier.jpg

I did have fun. The muddy strech on that picture was not a blast though. Alejo (the designated rescue truck driver) and Ken gave me a few good tips there.

Keep in mind that this was the very first time I did any offroading. Next time will be less struggle.

Thank you again everybody for your patience, I hope I didn't slow you down too much. Overall, I think I gave a good show.

Beleive you have everyones respect.Don't know if it gets much harder than that:thumb:

I never would have even signed up for this ride if all I had was the Strom. There's no way I could have muscled it through that much muck.

I never would have even signed up for this ride if all I had was the Strom. There's no way I could have muscled it through that much muck.

Same here. And I don't have any idea how Raul made it through the clay pit without dropping it. It had riders on far more dirt worthy machines tasting the dirt.

Back