• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Daughter's 7th Birthday ride that almost didn't happen.

Reaction score
The following is the story of my 7 yr old's birthday ride.
It didn't happen the way you plan for it to but that's usually for the best.
This story contains a broad assortment of things captured on digital film.
Festivals, camping, Goldwings and even Elvis! So, let's get to it, shall we?

I was shoveling some grub to my youngest one evening while
trying to decide what would make a perfect gift for my daughters 7th birthday.
And as most evenings go my son eventually makes the face that tells me he's full.

Go ahead son, show them the face.

1.jpg

So, while watching my son's head bob around as it searched for a place to rest
a thought entered my brain like lightning. Apparently my son was having a
similar thought.

2.jpg

After much head nodding and chin rubbing we agreed that my daughter should
have a motorcycle helmet of her own. One that fits. One that doesn't require
me to give mine up every ride. As I thought about what a great idea we
had just come up with my son made another face indicating that "number 2" was
in progress. I'll spare you that picture.

So, (I'll probably say 'so' a lot during this thread, sorry, I wasn't an english major)
I introduce the idea to my wife who wholeheartedly agrees that helmets are good
and not wearing them is bad. Ha! We both agree so there's no way for the plan to fail now.
But we can't just run out and buy a helmet. She has to be there to try it on.
And since I'm 2 hrs from anything, buying a helmet without trying it on first
is a sure way to ruin a trip before it starts because you can't just run down
and exchange it. So, it is decided that a father/daughter trip is required.
To make it all work out there's some scheduling to deal with. There's the aforementioned
festival, a scholastic competition, a trip to buy the helmet, a birthday party, a camping
trip and other miscellaneous errands to schedule all together. So, to my daughter
she's having a 2 week birthday party. I was just praying I could keep enough batteries
handy to get it all on camera.

On to the festival. Every year the little town of Lovelady, TX puts on the Lovefest.
Not sure why it's a Lovefest exactly. There's nothing outwardly adult about it
the way a Love-in might be. I'm guessing it's got something to do with mixing
the words Lovelady and Festival. Pretty tame and scaled down if you're used to festivals
in metro areas but there's a little something for everyone. Here's me and the older
two heading down to watch the parade.

3.jpg

Mom took the youngest to the baby contest. Not much sport in it. They just try and figure out
who's the cutest. Mine got 3rd Place.

4.jpg

The parade had mostly a bunch of vehicles of different types.

Old ones.

5.jpg

Old fast ones.

6.jpg

And New ones.

7.jpg

Then the showstopper of course, ELVIS!!

8.jpg

With so much to do the kids couldn't decide which way to run first.

9.jpg

My son ended up at the playground and my daughter got her face painted.

10.jpg

11.jpg

So, time flies and we're ready to head out, 3rd place trophy in hand.
I decided my wallet was a little thin so I drove down to the bank to hit up
the ATM for a withdrawal. What I found was more fun. A flock of Goldwings!

12.jpg

This one even had a trailer that looked like one of the cars in the parade.

13.jpg

Now that I was alert to the Goldwing meeting I noticed even more strewn about
the festival. Here's another group.

14.jpg

And some more hiding behind the post office.

15.jpg

So, the festival was over and it's into the next week. I take off on a Thursday
to get ready for my daughter's Friday scholastic competition in Tyler, TX. Again, 2 hrs away.
Being that it was valentines day finding a place to eat was next to impossible but lucky
for us no one else seemed to want mexican food so Casa Ole was more than happy to accommodate
our appetites. (Sorry, left the camera in the car, besides, you see one burrito, you've seen them all).
Here we are at the hotel after checking in and checking out the room.

16.jpg

And the next morning a hearty breakfast of Fruit Loops. The breakfast of scholastic champions!

17.jpg

The competition is like UIL but for private schools. Trust me, she may go to a private
school but I'm not rich. She's there on a scholarship.

We meet up with her best friend in the whole world and start going over the checklist
for the day's events.

18.jpg

After a long day and 2 grueling competitions in Storytelling and Creative Writing, with a congratulatory
lunch at Chuck E. Cheese, Hannah walked away with 6th place in Story Telling. Her friend
came up big with 2nd in Creative Writing.

My plan was to go after the competition to whatever bike shops I could find in Tyler to try on helmets.
I didn't have that many places to visit and after spending a few minutes at Scooter Pete's
and then driving around looking for the recently relocated Broadway Yamaha we gave up the
search for the day. We headed home just glad that her first competition was behind us
and with the knowledge that it wasn't as scary as she thought it was going to be. 1st grade is a great
year for breaking kids into new things at school.

So, after a full nights rest we decided the whole family should get in on the helmet hunt
and decide to travel 2 hrs in the opposite direction and headed to Cycle Gear on I45 North
in Houston. And behold, the helmet was found, fitted and purchased.

19.jpg

My son likes trying on the gear but getting him on the bike is like trying to bathe a cat.

He still has a few years to go before things start to fit.

20.jpg

Again, we headed back home trimphantly. This time however, we had a helmet instead
of a contest ribbon. Next it's time for the actual birthday party. Here she is showing
off her new helmet to every one.

21.jpg

Now, the plan was to take a ride that day. It was also to give rides to the party-goers
whose feet could reach the pegs. Just around the block and back. Well, the bike didn't
cooperate. I had recently put new exhaust gaskets on it and gave it a shot at synchronizing
my carbs. Well, apparently during the sync I messed up something worse and then being frustrated
left my petcocks on which by coincidence flowed gas right past my stuck float (because I ran it
bone dry by not turning on the petcocks) and down in to my crankcase where it severely thinned
out my oil. I fired that thing up and a cloud of smoke appeared behind me. I knew what
it was but decided against trying to fix it right then. People were starting to show up
so I had to play host. So we save the ride for another day.

In to the next week and I'm trying to find time to do an oil change on my bike. Being a metric
I had to go and buy a 19mm socket the first time I changed it and now I can't find it again.
So I put it off for the weekend. But the weekend rolls around and I see that the weather is
going to be nice so instead of fooling with the bike I decide to take the kids camping.
It was going to be cool that night down to 50 so the wife and baby decided they would stay home.
They did come out and visit during the day but left at dark. Here's some camping pics.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Waiting for breakfast.

30.jpg

Visiting the Mission.

We camped at Mission Tejas State Park in Weches, TX. It's a small park with only about
7 tent pad sites. They're nice though with water, electric, a fire ring with grill, a standalone
grill, picnic table on a pad and even a newly remodeled restroom area with a shower up on the
hill. Super cheap too. If you ever go there ask for Ranger John and tell him Robert
Manshack said nice things about the place. He was my high school science teacher and he can
give you the grand tour.

So, camping trip over and another week goes by. I finally find my 19mm socket so I make plans
to try and get the bike ready for the ride. First is draining the gas/oil out of the bike.

31.jpg

Then we gear up.

32.jpg

Because of my poor sync job the bike is running like crap and trying to flood out so the ride
only lasted for about 15 miles around Loop 304 here in Crockett and back through town. We did stop
to take a few pictures though.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

So, it took almost 3 weeks but we finally got out for a ride. The helmet is a pretty plain silver helmet
but we embellished it with some butterfly tattoo looking stickers on the back. By the time my middle child
is old enough to wear it I'll have to scrape it off and put a bikini model sticker on it or something with some
flames so it looks proper for a girl. Well, after all this time I look back and am glad I was able
to keep the batteries in the camera to catch it all. I took the next two weekends off to relax. Now
I'm sending my carbs off to another xs1100 owner to get them straightened out then I'll be back on the road.
Like a said before, every trip is an adventure when you're bike is 30 yrs old. Hope you enjoyed my ride report.

Very nice. You have a great looking family, keep up the good work. Those kids will remember every little detail better than you will!

Oughta add this to the Father/Daughter thread :thumb:

Nice report,but I'm very jealous............won't no one in my family get on a bike with me!:eek2: As far as my wife not getting on a bike with me, It might have something to do with the scar on her leg,from back in the sixties.

Back