• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 Ms 150

Reaction score
Vegas, NB, and myself once again assisted about 13500 bicyclists as part of the MS 150 motorcycle marshal team. Here are my impressions:

Before I went, I felt compelled to finally make order in the bike's electrical system.

The battery :oops:

DSC00387.jpg

I did some "spring cleaning" in the process. Checked wiring, rewrapped with tape where needed, oil change, lubed clutch/throttle cable (yup, they are hanging off the tree branches :mrgreen: )

DSC00388.jpg

Much better. I used a fuse block from BlueSea, available in the marine section of Academy Sports and Outdoor. Found it through here:

http://rocketbunny.blogspot.com/2008/01/farkling-f650gs_29.html

I had a gift card through them left over from Christmas, so it cost me....zip zero nada ;-)

DSC00391.jpg

As with all great-laid plans, time will always pull a fast one. I did not get done with prep work until midnight....

....so saturday morning came with a vengeance. But it turned out to be a spectacular day :cool: This is near Waller county

DSC00392.jpg

The dogs walking away from me "helped" me and a rider change a flat. There was a LOT of those satruday. Good thing I brought the big bicycle pump.

DSC00393.jpg

The wildflowers were in full bloom.....

DSC00394.jpg

....and a lot of spectators on hand :-)

DSC00395.jpg

Some distraction for the riders...and us...from the wind. It gusted at 20 mph at times, making cyclists very tired very quick.

The overnight stop in La Grange was reached that afternoon, and the motorbikes were set up for a big group photo.

DSC00396.jpg

This is Jeff, he has the grey F650 GS. He was tired. The Pelican case on his bike has a full cadre of HAM communications. Cool setup.

DSC00399.jpg

JV's, Jeff's and the Ghost were at the end of the line of loads of 'Wings, Harleys, and other cruisers. There also 2 KLR's and a 1100 GS on hand though.

Sunday

When I left the house on saturday morning, I thought I could ride off with some of the cold weather gear that I had stashed on the bike. Namely, the gloves. Boy was I wrong, sunday morning lows in the Hill country were in the low 40's. Brrrr.

Some of us staged at the South Express route off US 71 in Smithville.

DSC00401.jpg

Chip, a fellow paramedic, brought along something from work: a cardiac monitor. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst ;-)

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

The last rest stop before Austin finish

DSC00406.jpg

Austin Police recently took delivery on a fleet of BMW bikes. Nice bikes, but this PD officer said that the centerstands kept falling off. Not a good thing when your work entails having to get on/off the bike numerous times in a day.

DSC00407.jpg

Staging for the finish

DSC00408.jpg

We all followed in behind the turtle, the last bicycle rider. Very moving, very cool. That is the State capitol building above the banner.

DSC00410.jpg

View from my room in the Omni hotel Austin. Nice digs.

DSC00411.jpg

The next morning, we had breakfast at the Magnolia Cafe north of downtown Austin. They were nice enough to open an hour early for us.

DSC00412.jpg

After breakfast, a group did the scenic loop around around Austin. Meanwhile, I decided it was time to head back home. Did another pass via downtown, Austin is simply more compelling. Certainly compared to the sprawl that is Houston.

DSC00414.jpg

This made even clearer by the time it takes to get out of the urban environment. In about 10 - 12 miles, you were in the countryside.

I reversed the route, but I took my time to take in the sights along the way:

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

St. Mary's church in Fayetteville
DSC00425.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

Had a great time, already signed up for next year :cool:

as a cyclist this year, thank you!

I had a great time. I'll post some of my pics later

As with all great-laid plans, time will always pull a fast one. I did not get done with prep work until midnight....

....so saturday morning came with a vengeance.

And I thought I was the only one in that particular boat.

Nice pics of the ride back. Alas, I had to get back to the old work grind, so I slabbed it home.

:rofl: An LP-12???? Why not an AED instead? The Physio-Control rep is gonna stroke.

DSC00403.jpg

:rofl: An LP-12???? Why not an AED instead? The Physio-Control rep is gonna stroke.

DSC00403.jpg

Thats what I was thinking too!!! Also, I don't know if I would trust a couple bungee cords to hold a $17k or so monitor...

I don't ride ms150 but do various paid rides. You guys are appreciated.

Thanks.

Back