• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Down The Road I Go...

Great report Rebecca! Keep at it! I have got Kathy going on your reports now. She says HI!!:clap: :clap: :rider:
Marty

Day 6
May 1

My riding boots will collect dust for a few days as I step into a pair of sneakers and enjoy some down time with my family.

Cereal and fruit for breakfast. Noah's choice - a combination of Rice Krispies, Kix, and Special K.

288294553_YZmJU-O.jpg

288294582_BsRXi-O.jpg

He wanted to know how I got here from Texas on my "bicycle", so he commandeered my GPS to figure out the mystery.

288294547_oSDTA-O.jpg

His brother Ethan wasn't quite bright-eyed yet this morning.

288294567_7oxB5-O.jpg

After breakfast, we had some play time before getting ready to go out and enjoy the day.

288294585_tG4xH-O.jpg

"I'm gonna play my rock star guitar!"

288294581_H3fxH-O.jpg

Spank made a new friend that was also a guitar player.

288294599_DAw5C-O.jpg

Goofin' with my gear

288294597_qaLYu-O.jpg

We got everyone dressed (not a simple task) and loaded up the mini van.

288294605_H24Cv-O.jpg

We headed for Easton, PA - home of Crayola, known to my nephew as the "color factory". I don't know if it was my sister's driving or the fact that I hadn't been in a car for over a week, but I got very nauseous on the way there. We opted for lunch before heading into the hands-on museum and factory.

288294649_yahDG-O.jpg

288294620_TMQQt-O.jpg

288294621_5UUWh-O.jpg

288294619_Thn2g-O.jpg

288294634_uri2n-O.jpg

288294673_tCwAx-O.jpg

Also located in the building is a museum dedicated to canals. Noah and Ethan loved playing in the water, learning how the locks work to get the ships across.

288294637_yGqpo-O.jpg

288294677_8QVHf-O.jpg

To prevent additional car sickness, I drove us all home, but just in case I didn't know where I was going my sister had the GPS up on the dash.

GPS: Turn left in point five miles
Noah: Becca, you gotta turn left to go to our house. Mommy, which way is left?
Melinda: Left is when your hand makes the L. Right is the one you write with.
Noah: (hands in the air making L shapes) Becca that way is left. We gotta go that way.
GPS: Turn left in four hundred feet
Noah: It says go left Becca. Mommy, Becca doesn't know where our house is.
Melinda: Becca will be fine honey.
Noah: But it says go left.

This continued for a while until I figured out how and why my sister can drown out the sound of her own children when appropriate. We turned on the Sirius kids channel and had some grown-up conversation.

We headed for Easton, PA - home of Crayola, known to my nephew as the "color factory". I don't know if it was my sister's driving or the fact that I hadn't been in a car for over a week, but I got very nauseous on the way there. We opted for lunch before heading into the hands-on museum and factory.

That is very cool - I saw crayons on How It's Made the other day.

Heading out to Long Island a little later today, so the SPoT will be tracking again once I'm under way.

Heading out to Long Island a little later today, so the SPoT will be tracking again once I'm under way.

Cool. Looking forward to the SPOT travels.

Oh, and you look just FINE to me on the Dragon! :clap:
Squeak_TOD.jpg

Are you going to be visiting Heath & Kat & Emma soon?

And where is the picture of your sister?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Are you going to be visiting Heath & Kat & Emma soon?

And where is the picture of your sister?

Heath & Kat are bringing Emma to my mother's tomorrow for a family BBQ, and tonight is dinner with the parents and my sisters.

Melinda has given the ruling that no pictures of her are to be posted without her permission (so that her hair looks ok and she has her eyes open, etc.) but I've gotten her approval on a few that we took yesterday when we took the boys to get ice cream.

I'll see what a I can upload. I've been having security/firewall issues preventing me from uploading from my laptop and I haven't quite got it figured out yet. I used my sister's for the pics I've posted in the last few days.

Here's Melinda. 16 months older than me, and she's already turned into our mother. :lol2:

p5020128sun7.jpg

Whoa, waitaminute. You did say you're in New Jersey, right?

Up here, a BBQ is where we light up the grill and throw some burgers and dogs on. Sometimes we get lucky and mom puts some BBQ sauce (from a jar) on some chicken and throws that on also.

What happened to your license plate?

Huh? Nothing - before I left, it was bolted up extra-super-duper well and extra safety wires were added. :mrgreen:

Keep on keeping it safe, Squeaky. Hope you can hit Cherohola on the way home. It has a lot more altitude change than the Tail of the Dragon and a many fewer hairpin turns. The road is wider than the BRP and much easier to ride. If you miss it you will have to make another trip out there in the near future.

Squeaky-Jen and I are very proud of you on this adventure! How impressive! You know-that SPOT will track all the way to Washington, too. We'll be watching for you and we'll "leave the light on..."

It only gives info on the last 24 hours - she has been idle (except for the computer) for a bit longer than that.

Maybe she will go outside and press the "OK" button... :trust:
She used it today so I was able to see how it works. Pretty neat.

Rebecca, you were just north of my mom's birthplace; Elizabeth. I understand it's a real pit these days. She's flying back there in another week or so to see her brother in W Long Branch.

Rebecca....Thanks for sharing the trip report. I read the exchange with your nephew about the GPS to my other 1/2. It sounded like an exchange I've had with my GPS in the past....nephews and GPS' are smarter than old farts like me most of the time.

Ride safe and have a great time.

Darrell

Love the post! Thanks for all of your extra effort required to share your travels with us!

So here I am, sitting in my old room in my mother's house. It's known now as my brother's old room because that was a much more recent identity for it. Surreal.

Everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy for riding all this way when I could have just bought a plane ticket. They've been reading the stories and following my progress - they hate that I've had to ride in the rain, at night, and in the cold. My mother has urged me to ride back from here through a more direct route, but I am going to stick to the original plan and head north. Maine. I've come this far, I don't see how I could turn back now without at least making an effort to achieve my original goal.

There's another two days of family pictures that I'll bore you with as soon as Ive got them sorted and uploaded - then it's back on the road, shooting from the saddle.

Track my progress: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0prkGaxNu7TZxuGCWefXtUfZjWkosk1cY

Anybody else getting this message when going to the Spot page?

Error happened. Exceed the maximum view count for this shared page

:eek2:

Great ride, Squeaky, an awesome way to reconnect with family!:sun:

Yep, same here. It looks like we've found the limit on the spot tracker page.

Just got that as well. I guess Squeaker is just "too popular". :roll:

Back