• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kevin's Search for Sanity Solo Trip

Cat Daddy

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
This is my first ride report, so I'd like to apologize up front if it is a bit unpolished.

I've had a lot of stress in my life lately so I thought I'd take a few days to unwind and try and get my bearings again.

I loaded my scoot and left Fort Worth headed south toward the sisters and other parts unknown. I figured I'd ride till I felt like not riding anymore.

trip004.jpg

trip011.jpg

I headed south on 377 out of the metromess.

First stop was a rest area near Brownwood for a little snack and leg stretch.

trip005.jpg

I continued to Brownwood where I toured around and checked out some properties that my relatives own. I then promptly got lost and had to ask the fellas at the fire station how to get back onto 377.

Somewhere south of Brownwood, I noticed the bike felt funny. I looked back and realized one of the GIVI cases had fallen off. I quickly back tracked and found it laying in the road. This case contained my laptop and some other valuable stuff. Apparantly, I hadn't latched it securely when I had it off last time.

I continued on, and it prompty fell off again about 10 miles further down the road. This time I used a strap to make sure it didn't come off again. Not feeling the love toward GIVI latches anymore.

By the time I made Brady, I was low on gas and way into reserve and tired and hungry, so I found a motel for the first night's stay.

trip014.jpg

Sardines for dinner...

trip015.jpg

The next morning I continued on south.

London Texas...

trip017.jpg

Breakfast in Junction....

trip019.jpg

trip018.jpg

Finally made the sisters. They are a great ride. Saw no cars at all on 335 and 336. And only a few on 337.

trip025.jpg

trip046.jpg

trip047.jpg

trip043.jpg

Continued on to that famous tourist trap...

trip060.jpg

They wouldn't let me pitch a tent so I had to go to the camping park next door to Lukenbach. What a waste of 7 bucks. Miserable place, miserable lady who owns it. Called armadillo campgrounds. I suggest you avoid this place if at all possible.

trip064.jpg

I got up early the next morning and got under way before I had to give the owner a piece of my mind. I headed toward Austin. I wanted to see the Continental Club and South Congress.

Driving down the road, I come across this place. Very famous and colorful past.

trip055.jpg

Lunch in Austin...

trip067.jpg

trip066.jpg

I called home while eating lunch and my better half sounded pretty lonely at home alone so I turned north and turned the throttle a bit further.

I took 281 back through to Stephensville with one stop on the way...

trip071.jpg

mmmm pie.....

trip069.jpg

Made home late afternoon, feeling much better and recharged.

Excellent report - and wise choice in turning around when you did :-)

I will admit it, when mama sounds sad and lonely on the phone my priorities change.

I hear ya. Been married more than 29 years, riding motorcycles about 38 years. First earthly priority for a (married) man is to rightly love his wife. One reason my wife went with me on my last big ride - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27852

Again - excellent report, wise decision. Press on!

excellent report! :clap: Love the bike.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at the armadillo. I've only taken a shower there, and it was the best shower I ever had (after spending the night at Luckenbach during the harvest classic).
I'm planning an escape my self so I have some questions:
Did you find Sanity?
What was your longest mileage in a day?
What seat is that on your T100?

Somewhere south of Brownwood, I noticed the bike felt funny. I looked back and realized one of the GIVI cases had fallen off. I quickly back tracked and found it laying in the road. This case contained my laptop and some other valuable stuff. Apparantly, I hadn't latched it securely when I had it off last time.

I continued on, and it prompty fell off again about 10 miles further down the road. This time I used a strap to make sure it didn't come off again. Not feeling the love toward GIVI latches anymore.

Ah, you forgot to bring a friend that could "catch" the case as it skidded across the road! :lol2: (Rainmaker picked mine up for me in the middle of Austin and I've since given the cases away and gone with penny-tech panniers).

Great first report! Ya got the food, the room, the mood - you got it all! :clap:

Good trip report, with pictures and all. Sounds like a few of us should make time in our busy schedules to do a trip like that...

excellent report! :clap: Love the bike.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at the armadillo. I've only taken a shower there, and it was the best shower I ever had (after spending the night at Luckenbach during the harvest classic).
I'm planning an escape my self so I have some questions:
Did you find Sanity?
What was your longest mileage in a day?
What seat is that on your T100?

I did find the sanity.

My issue with the campgrounds was that I was the one and only person there. It was a Wednesday night. She sat up on here front porch and read a book, her old dog was roaming around (nice dog by the way).

She insisted that I keep my reciept on my person at all times to prove that I paid the 7.50 for the night. She lives right there in the campground. It was me, her, and the dog, and she insisted I keep the reciept with me at all times. I was thinking she's taking herself too seriously.

I did 400 miles per day or so.

The seat is a Triumph King & Queen.

this sounds like the kind of trip i need to do soon... i was looking for a small trip like that... hmmmmmm

Thanks for the great report. I enjoyed reading about the reason you left, the reason you headed back home and the mood of the trip. Very well done!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very good report. Glad you found some sanity. :thumb: :rider:

Back