• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RTE-La Grange 6-14-08(Fishes and Loaves Cafe)

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
I really had a great time riding over and getting to visit with those who came to the RTE. It is fun to meet old friends and make new ones. I especially like getting to visit with people after I have read their posts.
We had 17 bikes and 20 folks show up. Great turnout, thanks. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable ride home. Sorry to hear about Pedro's tire deal. At least it worked out ok.
Look for more RTEs in the future. I am thinking the 1st or 2nd Saturday of the month.
Here's a few pics.
P1020272.jpg

P1020271.jpg

P1020270.jpg

P1020269.jpg

P1020268.jpg

P1020267.jpg

P1020266.jpg

P1020264.jpg

P1020263.jpg

P1020262.jpg

P1020260.jpg

P1020259.jpg

P1020258.jpg

Last edited:
Home about 5:30... trying to cool off...

This one needs to become a regular every several months...

Nice meeting you Jack. Food was great, I'm going back just for the fish on the buffet, man that was good. Looking forward for upcoming RTE's. I'll have to bust out the ST and bring the wife from now on.

Great to meet you Jack, Tina, Mike, and, and, and all the rest of the folks. We need name tags on these things. We had a good ride and except for that part where we were stopped for a train and the temp guage read 100 degrees. Thankfully that didn't last long and the weather cooperated. Ken, that KLR flat goes buddy. I need to look into to them a bit.:rider:

I had a great time. It was good to see new and familiar faces. Jack, I'll definitely be looking to attend more of these RTE's. :thumb:

Kory and Larry - Thanks for letting me tag along on the way back to Houston. I got to try out a lot of new roads I've never been on before. :rider:

Here are a few pics:

I stopped on the way there and snapped a picture of my bike next to the Brazos.
MyBike01sm.jpg

Riders01sm.jpg

Riders02sm.jpg

Riders03sm.jpg

Bikes02sm.jpg

bikes03sm.jpg

Bikes01.jpg

I was hungry and forgot to take a picture of my food before starting to eat. Better late than never?
Lunchsm.jpg

Dessert was banana pudding and it was GOOD! :eat:
Dessert.jpg

Hope to see you all at the next RTE. :rider: :eat: :rider:

Michelle, usually when Kory rides :rider: it is never straight there or back. Glad to see you made it home before midnight. :lol2:

Jack, It was nice meeting you and some of the other great folks who were able to attend. Thanks for all your organizational efforts. I'll be looking forward for more RTEs in the future.

Had a great time Jack thanks again for setting these things up.

Heres our ride report:

Pedro came over to the house at about 9 am. We gave the bikes a once over and headed to the nearest gas station to fill up. We then went to meet JD at the local DQ here in San Marcos. After some light chatting we headed out hwy 80 to 142 into Lockhart where we encountered what I now know was the Chisum Trail Parade. After I made a few wrong turns trying to get around it (got some good practice at tight quarter handling) we finally made it hwy 20 then onto 713 then onto Jeddo Rd. If anyone is heading that way mapsource and google earth show it as dirt but is paved (barely). About half way down Jeddo Rd. JD pulls up next to me and is pointing at what I thought was his motor and then pulls over at the next farm entrance. No mechanical problem but nature calls if you know what I mean. Sorry JD had to add that in. Guess that big ole cup of water at the DQ didn't help any. So we actually get to La Grange about an hour early so we head up to the state park on the hill...can't remember the name...but it was the twistiest road we hit all day. Head over to lunch and enjoy a good meal with lots of really good folks. After lunch lots of tire kicking and drooling over everyone elses ride. I think JD is convinced that the KLR is for right for his dual sporting side of life. We head out fill the tanks and head to 535 via 71 and 95. We let Pedro lead for a little while but then JD took over at 535 with me on the tail end. Everything was going great till we hit Rosansky. I was following Pedro around a corner coming up to the railroad tracks and all of sudden I see the bike wobbling quite bad side to side and I thought for sure he was going to loose it but the guy did good, stayed off the brakes and rode it out to gentle stop. As I pull along side I see the front tire completely flat. We pull into the local post office parking lot and almost immediately several people stopped asking if we need any help....Great people in that part of the state I tell you what...One gentleman with his wife stop and inform us they have a trailer and live only a mile away and would be happy to load up the Shadow and take it home...(this is my wifes bike by the way on loan to Pedro). As we are waiting for him to return JD ran to the local store and got us all much needed water and gatorade...Thanks JD..In the mean time I called the wife and let Pedro break the news. Poor guy why do I do these things. Get the bike trailered up and back on the road. Headed up 535 to 20 back into Lockhart (the parade was over) and then back to San Marcos. JD and I said our goodbyes sitting at a traffic light still laughing about what is now known as the Pedro Incident. We split off headed home and unloaded the bike. Put some air in the tire and nothing holds. Guess I get to play tire changer tommorow. We all made it home and have a new story to talk about so its a good day. Did I mention it was hot on the way home....it was hot on the way home.

Look forward to next time guys it was good to meet everyone even If I don't remember everyones name.

I had a great time and enjoyed seeing everybody. Food was preeety good too.

kennyd
Houston
'03 KLR650 (John Deere green)

One of the things I love about TWT is the variety of bikes that this site opens itself up to. I was thinking about it today as I scanned over the parking lot was the types of bikes that showed up today. Maybe its just me, but I really think that its very cool so many different bikes are welcomed at TWT gatherings.
We had if I recall (help me if I missed any)
3-ZZR 1200
1-ZZR600
2-dl650
1-vtx1800
1-ninja 650
1-ducati st4
1-moto guzzi
1-sv1000n
1-KLR
1-burgman
1-Honda shadow
1-harley
1-FJR
1-VFR

Nice to meet you Jack and everyone else I did. It was a good day of :rider: and :eat: .

Kory and Larry - Thanks for letting me tag along on the way back to Houston. I got to try out a lot of new roads I've never been on before. :rider:
ST/SV said:
Michelle, usually when Kory rides :rider: it is never straight there or back. Glad to see you made it home before midnight. :lol2:

Michelle: you are more than welcome. I hope it didn't drag on too long for you. I'm sorry you had to witness first hand my ability to turn a simple trip home into an anything but short ride. :doh: :oops:

Thanks Jack for setting everything up. Good restaurant choice. Great crowd for this one. Loved checking out all the bikes as usual. I'd like to have one of each.

We were actually quite lucky with the Pedro tire deal. It happened in town where there was a good place to pull over and a store right there. Friendly folks rescued us from our pneumatic plight in a matter of minutes.

Just delayed our return home a bit. When we hit San Marcos (latin name meaning "too many traffic lights") we and the bikes really began to feel the 100 degree heat. Felt good to get home under the A/C. I just checked on the Duc and it's still panting. :lol2:

Looking forward to the next one.

I was wondering if he was joking or not when he said we'd be home by 8pm. :wary: :lol2:

Michelle: you are more than welcome. I hope it didn't drag on too long for you. I'm sorry you had to witness first hand my ability to turn a simple trip home into an anything but short ride. :doh: :oops:

It didn't drag on at all. I had a lot of fun. :rider:

However, when you and Larry swapped bikes at the last stop and you asked me "Are you good to keep going?" I thought you meant more back roads. :doh: At that point I knew I was about to get into my tired zone so it was good timing that we were on the last legs of the ride. I wasn't too bushed when I got home. :thumb:

Everyone can thank mike (mikeofcontex) for the idea for gathering at Fishes and Loaves. He had mentioned it to me a few weeks ago and it is a very nice spot to eat. We'll keep it on the list of places we will return to at some time again.

I do need some help though, if you know of a restaurant that would be good for a RTE please post up or PM me so I can start compiling a list of possible RTE destinations. I'll call ahead and do all that kinda stuff, I just need some info on possible RTE destinations. The things I am looking for are:

1-cleanliness-no explanation needed I hope.
2-good food really am aiming for locally owned places or small chains. places we won't find every few miles down the freeway if you get my drift. ie, I don't think many people want to ride 5 hours round trip to eat at a Chili's.
3-location-think of places that are going to be nice day rides for riders in the Austin,Houston,and perhaps Dallas and those east of I45. There will be times we may be too far for some people to attend,but its my goal to do RTEs that can be enjoyed by the most people who live somewhat close to my area of tx.
4-capacity-I think if we keep this up we can have 20-30 people for a RTE, maybe even more, who knows. I know of some great small cafes but they can't handle 25 folks on top of their usual lunch crowd.

If you have any ideas I would be very appreciative if you would help me keep this RTE deal going. Even if you don't know of one right now keep an eye out and an ear open for spots that would be fun to ride to.
thanks,

Last edited:
Jack,

Thanks for setting this up - had a great time and hat the chance to meet some more of the great folks from the TWT forum. Good ride, good food, great company - it just doesn't get much better!:rider:

Craig aka equipment junkie aka the guy on the screaming yellow VFR...

Dang!
Looks like I missed a great time.
Jack I will pm you and we can ride over and check out the place in Winchester.lots of history there.
The pie is 3 inches high.

Ron

Everyone can thank mike (mikeofcontex) for the idea for gathering at Fishes and Loaves. He had mentioned it to me a few weeks ago and it is a very nice spot to eat. We'll keep it on the list of places we will return to at some time again.

I do need some help though, if you know of a restaurant that would be good for a RTE please post up or PM me so I can start compiling a list of possible RTE destinations. I'll call ahead and do all that kinda stuff, I just need some info on possible RTE destinations. The things I am looking for are:

1-cleanliness-no explanation needed I hope.
2-good food really am aiming for locally owned places or small chains. places we won't find every few miles down the freeway if you get my drift. ie, I don't think many people want to ride 5 hours round trip to eat at a Chili's.
3-location-think of places that are going to be nice day rides for riders in the Austin,Houston,and perhaps Dallas and those east of I45. There will be times we may be too far for some people to attend,but its my goal to do RTEs that can be enjoyed by the most people who live somewhat close to my area of tx.
4-capacity-I think if we keep this up we can have 20-30 people for a RTE, maybe even more, who knows. I know of some great small cafes but they can't handle 25 folks on top of their usual lunch crowd.

If you have any ideas I would be very appreciative if you would help me keep this RTE deal going. Even if you don't know of one right now keep an eye out and an ear open for spots that would be fun to ride to.
thanks,

There is a place on the square that has a good local following. I'll just have to do some research to get the name. Very clean, lots of space, and the square would be a great place to show off our toys :rider:

What is the name of the family style place out US 190 by the Indian Reservation? Picket House, Pritchet House? Something like that. It is supposed to be really good, but I have never managed to drag myself out there to check it out.

Up in Franklin, on the town square is a little hole in the wall place. I cannot remember the name. Fantastic food with big portions for small $$. I think it is on the SE corner of the square. I think this is it...

Lone Star Burger Bar
Tina Ely & Teresa Martin
113 Decherd Street Franklin
979-828-5000

There are some fun roads heading out to Franklin, particularly to the East.

Then there is the Flynn Feed Store on Hwy 39 at FM 977. Phil, Jack and I ate there some time back. Really good burgers! Hardy Baker mentioned it as being a good place to. He lives in nearby Marquez.

I don't know if it is still there because it has been a while since I got up that way, but on Hwy 7, just East of Centerville at FM 811, there is a little gas stop/cafe. When we ate there, the food was really good and cheap. Also, the ride up from the South is quite fun! Over in Centerville there is that BBQ place, Woodys?

Thanks for the input so far. I have started a spreadsheet and plan on spending some time in the favorite eateries and hangouts section.
If you have ideas please pm me the name and the town of the restaurant if you have it. Good guess' will at least get me on the trail to figuring it out also.
Thanks again. :)

Like Scott mentioned, I can vouch for the Pickett House in Woodville and Lone Star cafe in Franklin being good. I have ate at both places numerous times.

Steve

There's not much in Marquez, but an old restaurant has been rebuilt. It used to be pretty good... I haven't been there since it's new. It's on the NW corner of the main intersection.

The restaurant at Hilltop Lakes does some pretty good spreads.

Back