• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 June Pie Run Report: Hico, TX 6/28 Koffe Kup

Yes Brad. The FJR power is intoxicating.:sun:

I found another FJR owner, well two, actually. Reggie (southplainssilver) has one now and the guy he sold his FZ1 to was there as well. AND, I confirmed a rumor that Kurt (also known as kurt) has an FJR as well. :trust:

Thought I would get there a little early. Rode up at around 10a and there were already about 25 bikes already in the parking lot. At around 1045a I counted around 62 bikes and more were rolling up. I only spent a few minutes inside having some coconut cream pie and was back outside mingling. I hung around till about 1p and hit the back roads up toward Mineral Wells then NW towards Bridgeport and back to Denton.

Sorry, no names to go with the pics but don't we all know who we are???

More later......

I'm here, mostly. This was my first big run in 2 years so I was starting to wear out by the time we got to the Koffee Kup.

Thank you Bill (Graubart) for covering my tab at the Koffee Kup, John had all of our cash and all I had was my debit card. Oh, and thanks for the keychain too, there's no telling where my Triumph part of my keychain tore off. :doh:

And thank you Larry (fastbike) for the offer to get gas for me, I was glad to see the gas station took cards so my debit card at least got me a fill up! :rider:

I wish I had gotten the pie Mark (igo-wfo) had picked out, it looked good, and my pecan pie left something to be desired.

There was a spot I thought I was going to go off the road on the way to Loco Coyote and fortunately I didn't, but I had a couple of KLR guys there I was praying would help scoop me up if I had wrecked. By that time I think the heat was getting to me and I needed some agua.

I really wish Daisy had been up and running, Crumpet wasn't designed to haul butt and I was definitely the slow one of the group because anything over 80 was hard to maintain because of the crosswinds.

John has been fully lectured and knows the rules next time he's allowed to attend a pie run.

I still don't feel great so I think it's going to be an early bedtime for me...:giveup:

Last edited:
Chuck,
As far as the count goes.From our Waco/Belton co rd riders 7 total incl me
Mr2mch-DL650, bigman-DL650, BIG A-1200GS, Rick M-Transalp & 3 others(who will remain nameless until BIG or Rick posts their names)I forgot.
VTX1800,Road King & Valkyrie
Rod

Back home safe. Thanks Chuck. You da Man!

Had a nice ride up with some great folks. Lunch and Peanut butter pie was excellent. After group pictures, we headed to the Dr. Pepper plant which was soooo neat.

If you've not been to the Dr. Pepper tour and you are old enough to appreciate History, you will surely enjoy a cool refreshing treat at the soda fountain and then taking the tour.

Till next time....

:rider: :eat: :rider:

Top ten reasons the Hico Koffee Kup Pie Run was a BLAST for me:

10. Great nine bike group ride wonderfully lead by Maverick in the morning. (Don't bother to ask...I will not discuss the "Valero Incident")
9. Great ride home alone. (I mentally blocked the fact that the air temp. varied from a low of 97 to a high of 102)
8. Really fun sweepers and hills on FM1238, SH219, and FM182. These roads must have been laid out by a ST rider...they are perfect for the bike. (Thanks to Gilk51 for posting this route in the Pie Run thread)
7. Opportunity to run a couple of tanks of 100% gasoline thru the ST. The ST responded like a dog getting doggie treats after nothing but dry dog food for a month when it tasted that non-ethanol fuel.
6. Seeing all the neat bikes parked at the KK...Harleys, Goldwings, all manner of Sport Tourers, sportbikes, scooters, standards, trikes, etc...all peacefully co-existing. (This sets TWTEX's apart from other biker groups who tend to focus on one brand or model)
5. Getting farkel ideas.
4. Enjoying the original Pie Run location...the great venue that got it all started!!
3. Being part of the 100+ record setting attendance.
2. Eating PIE (Key Lime in my case!!)
1. BEING IN THE COMPANY OF THE GREAT TWO WHEELED TEXANS!!

I saw 104* at the bank in Granbury. No idea if it's accurate, but it sure felt like it. :giveup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done, Chuck! My hat is off to you!

It is so exciting to see the Pie Run's continuing to foster a close knit 2 wheeled (and 3 wheeled!) group!

My hat is off to the Koffee Kup for what sounds like good service and good food for this hungry group. :eat:

Sounds like it was officially a new Pie Run attendance record. :trust:

AND, I confirmed a rumor that Kurt (also known as kurt) has an FJR as well. :trust:

WHAT!?!? :eek2:

Is this in addition to the Wing and GS or did one of them get the axe? Inquiring minds up here want to know!

Dish, Kurt!

My hat is off to the Koffee Kup for what sounds like good service and good food for this hungry group. :eat:

Sounds like it was officially a new Pie Run attendance record. :trust:

One of their staff that has been there since the these started found me and asked about the Zimmermans. They were all very fond of the 4 of ya'll and were sorry to hear that you had moved away. Your legacy continues.

I sure wished that Chris, Jen, Cassie, and Savannah could have been here to see this!

Is this in addition to the Wing and GS or did one of them get the axe? Inquiring minds up here want to know!

Oh, WC! :doh: You are Soooo far behind! That was so --- last month! :eek2:

If Kurt doesn't confess, I'll tell ya what I found out. :trust:
(hint - his garage has THREE bikes right now, uh, or did when I talked to him at lunch :shrug: ) :lol2:

WHAT!?!? :eek2:

Dish, Kurt!

The Beemer went away when the Wing came in the picture. No idea if Rhonda's bike made room for the FJR. Inquiring minds want to know.

I have to say that I truly miss the pie runs. The girls and I din't attend as many as Chris did, but we have not found a group to ride with up here and the forums Chris are a part of are not up to "par" as the TWTEX group. Hico was my favorite place and we miss all you guys and gals. Keep riding!:rider:

OOPs, I need to correct my signature and my profile before rumors get started. I belong to the "former" pie man. Susan might have words to say about that

Last edited:
I belong to the "former" pie man.

I think Chris will always be the "Pie Man" since he got this ball rolling. It was cool that the folks at the KK asked about ya'll. :thumb:

Sure wish you could have been here for this one, of course, you wouldn't get to use your PNW gear! :sun:

.......Chuck, Pie Man II

Oh, WC! :doh: You are Soooo far behind! That was so --- last month! :eek2:

If Kurt doesn't confess, I'll tell ya what I found out. :trust:
(hint - his garage has THREE bikes right now, uh, or did when I talked to him at lunch :shrug: ) :lol2:

:rofl:

Gilk51 said:
One of their staff that has been there since the these started found me and asked about the Zimmermans. They were all very fond of the 4 of ya'll and were sorry to hear that you had moved away. Your legacy continues.

I sure wished that Chris, Jen, Cassie, and Savannah could have been here to see this!

Thanks.:oops: As Jen mentioned and I'll echo, we miss everyone in the TWT family. We hope to see some of y'all as you trek this way on vacations, rides, or even the occassional Alaskan adventure.

I have thought about starting something similar to TWT up here, just can't come up with a name yet (Evergreen Mountain Riders? Two Wheeled Northwesterners?). Maybe then we can terrorize the local pie places up here!

I now return you to your normally scheduled ride report!

Focus people... this is about pie! :trust:

It's a pie run tradition. Every post pie run report includes sightings of the latest Kurtmobile, and speculation on the survivors still in your garage. :lol2:

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting a lot of new people. My dad (donroger1) and myself had our first ride together, a great experience. It was my first long ride as well and was pretty good...except for the Corbin seat that is on my bike. I got to enjoy the FJR on the last couple of hours, it was a blast and the seat was much better for me. I look forward to doing it again!

Thanks to all those who helped organize the event and thanks to Kurt for the helmet for my son.;-)

I am hooked on Pie Runs now. It was nice to meet Brian for the ride with Mr. and Mrs. Pieman. It was cool and comfy on the ride out. I was entertained by a stray cow, a bird circling Chuck's head, my throttle lock, those incredible pink and purple flowers, and Susie Pieperson's cool scooter behind me. I did find myself watching those dual front wheels around the curves...which was not too bright on my part as I was also going around a curve and probably should have been looking where I was going.

The heat on the ride back was tolerable. I used to pay to sit in a sauna. So this killed two birds with one stone...I recreated and got sauna-tized. My assignment (the mind must be kept active!) on the ride home was to figure out what riding positions I could find that don't create pain or do resolve pain in the back. The Burger has long floorboards with many options. I tend to sit with my feet back almost to the passenger foot ...space....thingys. 40 miles or so and the back hurts a little. I found that feet all the way forward like a cruiser relieves the pain. Well it entertained me...but then I used to relieve boredom while printing shirts by doing the fractions. "one shirt done out of one thousand....1/1000 won't reduce.....2 done...2/1000 turns into 1/500....a l l t h e w a y t h r u the order.

Yes I do need a life. :rider:

This was my first "official" pie run and I had a blast! STScott and I left early and made some tracks on our ST's that ended somewhere around 275 to 280 miles for the day. I enjoyed all of the folks that I met, now don't ask me who they were. :giveup: Thanks Chuck, you throw a good party!!!

Hey Squidward, nice to meet you. I'm the guy that was with STScott while he was heckling you. :lol2: Maybe it'll be on better terms next time!

Focus people... this is about pie! :trust:

OK, OK. Reports, reports...

Susan (tortuga) and I started out early and met Soozy (conveniently screen named "Soozy") and Brian (drroccostein) at the old Minyards staging lot:
minyard_5083q.jpg

Brian has great taste in bikes! :trust:
brian_5084q.jpg

and Soozy is quite fond of her Burgman maxi-scoot
soozy_5085q.jpg

Susan's Piaggio is still being broken in, so I had planned to take a direct non-slab route down to Hico. Brian and Soozy were in no hurry.

After getting on US67 and taking it around Cleburne, I was tired of the wind blowing me around and decided to go hide in the trees for a while. We took Park Road 21 off 67 and cruised along with nary another vehicle, taking FM200 thru Nemo back to US67. I figured we'd make a quick stop at a gas station in Glen Rose just to see if anyone needed to stop.

Pulling in, there was this familar rider form but an unfamilar bike:
bill_5087q.jpg

Bill (Graubart) had just picked up his Triumph Bonneville yesterday (and had requested help in naming her/him/it).

Susan did have to make a quick stop and we were off again. The morning air was pleasantly cool, so the ride down was very relaxing, except for the windy parts.

We rolled into the Koffee Kup about 10:35 or so and the lot was already loaded with bikes. I knew some folks would get there early and leave early, so some were inside and some outside. Meanwhile groups of riders were continally rolling in. I heard something like a count of 72 at 10:45 and 84 at 11:03 (as best as I remember).

kk_lot_5088q.jpg

I saw several faces that I had not seen in a while, including Yeeha Stephen, Claire (bobcat), Debbie (Snoopster), and Hico local Gabe (JKDGabe).

The parking lot from a couple of more angles:
kk_lot_5089q.jpg

Several people were asking about my wife's new 3-wheeled Piaggio MP3 500. Here, she talks with Roland (fossil) about the finer points. (she used to be a math teacher, so that is her "pi" shirt :lol2: )
looking_5091q.jpg

Reggie (southplainssilver) switched from na FZ1 to an FJR. He also had no complaints about moving from DFW to the Waco area
reggie_5094q.jpg

Rick (I think :doh: ) and James (Jbay) look on

After parking, I strung the TWT banner, taking advantage of an attach point on Brian's 'Strom.
banner_5095q.jpg

Of course, the Koffee Kup always makes us feel welcome with their sign
bikes_5096q.jpg

...to be continued...

Last edited:
Back