• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 June Pie Run Report: Hico, TX 6/28 Koffe Kup

Great day of riding today!

IMG_1007.jpg

Met up with Shrek in Venus to head out on my mapped, but un-scouted dual sport ride. This was a test day for my KLR, to see if I have it close to being reliable. Anyway... After crossing the Brazos on the new bridge we could not help but explore the old one right next to it.

IMG_1008.jpg

I marvel at the number of small, very simple parts arranged with thousands, if not millions of hot rivets, each one set by a skilled worker that this old bridge is composed of. Simple angle iron, flat strapping, and plates combine to make all of the triangles of the structure.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

Who could resist riding out for a picture? Not us!

Despite moving the tag and inspection plate from the stock location I managed to snag it with the rear tire when I hit a hole drifting a turn. (Yes a KLR will drift on gravel when you twist the wrist)

IMG_1016.jpg

The plate stayed put and I was able to bend it back out and up to give even more tire clearance. I wonder how this bike went more than 22,000 miles with that thing in the stock location??

My planned route went pretty well.... up until the first time we were supposed to turn on a county road, and there was a game fence where the road 'used to be'. The GPS re-calculated to turn on another road about 2 miles up, so we headed north. This time the road was there, along with an unlocked gate that opened automatically when we rolled up to it.

We took this as good, and rolled along. Many miles, and a couple of more re-routes later we had reached dead ends and locked gates.

IMG_1017.jpg

That road in the background, not 60 feet away is where we were supposed to be. Since it was getting late and we were getting weary of the dead ends we decided to back-track to Walnut Springs and finish the trip on asphalt.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Mmmmmm Reese's Pieces Pie, never heard of that before!

IMG_1022.jpg

Coconut Meringue for Shrek.

IMG_1023.jpg

Since KK was so busy we had pie, then joined up with the Burlyville group for lunch at Loco Coyote. Wow! no need for dinner after their sandwich for lunch.

Hot ride home, we stopped on 67 to assist a pair of riders. He was on a Harley and she on a Piaggio MP3 250. It looked like a little sister to Susan's new ride. The little scooter had blown a coolant line off the engine and emptied its system on the road. He had placed the hose back and added all the water they had, not enough to get rolling. Since we had ice water in our camel-backs we drained them into the red scooter's system and then rode tail gunner for the folks into Cleburne where they could do a more permanent repair.

A good day all in all. Good to see all the TWT people there. Good to know the old blue-green machine can do a few hundred miles with the only casualty being about 4 ounces of oil out the tailpipe. Works out to under a quart per thousand miles when extrapolated. I think I will keep it a while.

Last edited:
Made it back to Port Lavaca (Gateway to Tivoli) a little while ago. My wife and I had a great time and, as usual, enjoyed meeting some new friends. The thermometer on the bimmer read as high as 103 for a while, down near Temple.
They have some traffic lights there that go at least 5 minutes! We were just about done to a turn by the time we got to proceed. Don't know how those old borax miners survived working in Death Valley in the old days. Thought the food and service were pretty good at the KK... the pecan pie I had was bordering on excellent. Tour at the Dr Pepper plant in Dublin was pretty cool; some of that stuff is older than I am. The RT turned in a trip average mileage of just over 48 mpg. Not bad for 2-up. The more I ride it, the more I like it.

See y'all next time.

steve

OK... here's my take...Got to the KK and saw some cool bikes... Enjyoed some conversation with Rded Pill and Krashdragon on arrival... looked for Squid... didn't find him... saw cool bikes... Had some conversation w/ Soozy and Sleepy Weasel... ate pie... saw some cool bikes... Bought twt.com decal from Squeaky...saw some cool bikes...rode home at 90 - 100 mph with a grin you couldn't wipe off my face if you tried! Here's my pictures... good to see all of you! Let's do it again in... I don't know.. what do you think? A month or so?

h5.jpg

h4.jpg

h3.jpg

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting a lot of new people.......I got to enjoy the FJR on the last couple of hours, it was a blast and the seat was much better for me.

I look forward to doing it again!

Thanks to all those who helped organize the event and thanks to Kurt for the helmet for my son.;-)

So which is it?

You want to do a Pie Run again or do you want to ride my bike?

I know we are the Two-Wheeled Texans but I thought this car and trailer were pretty cool.......

Indiana License plate 1929.

Trailer was a single wheel caster with fold down legs in the front.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

minyard_5083q.jpg

I was wondering if Susan had gotten her MP3 yet, guess that's a yup. How's she liking it?

There were at least three father-son/father-daughter teams today. Here son John (jetfz'r) to dad Don (donroger1) gets a "point" from Marty (voyagerrider)
folks_5097q.jpg

Looks like just another "off-topic" discussion on TWT! :eek2:
(no, it is not as bad as it looks :lol2: )

Man, this place is filling up!
d70_5098q.jpg

Now, who would mess with a good man's (Jeff, "bung") Triumph?
sprint_5099q.jpg

Oh, I guess I need to ask what the joke is all about...
d70_5100q.jpg

Long time TWT friends - Rebecca (Squeaky) and Debbie (Snoopster)
d70_5101q.jpg

I got to meet David (Maverick) and Corinne (shootergal)

d70_5103q.jpg

Around noon, Squeaky rounded up most everyone to come outside for a group picture.
group_5106q.jpg

It didn't include everybody - several were taking pictures, some remained inside, and some had already left. I counted 78 possible heads in this picture.

group_5110q.jpg

It was a BUNCH of people and bikes... :clap:

I bothered a bunch of people to make nametags. I admit I used them more than once to jog the noggin as to who was who. Regardless, it was name recall overload...

My wife, Susan, went inside fairly early on and, being used to this, let me do my own thing. I came inside later and wasn't real hungry, so I just had tea and apple pie with ice cream. :eat:

A couple of the tables...
table_5112q.jpg

table_5113q.jpg

(not everyone likes their picture taken :lol2: )

table_5114q.jpg

There sure were some good looking bikes ;-)
vstrom_5115q.jpg

North Texas hooligans - Dave (?) and sean (SeanfromTx)
dave_sean_5116q.jpg

Soozy let Steve (max2up) test sit her Burgman. Wendy looks on. They rode in 2-up on a Kawasaki Ninja 250! :clap:
dscooter_testing_5117q.jpg

Another rider with great taste in motorcycles - Claire (bobcat)
claire_5118q.jpg

Around 1:00, things started to clear out.
d70_5119q.jpg

Rats! I forgot to get a picture of Kurt and his 'wing! :doh:
This one would have been the "2" shot...

One father-son team was John and Don (see above)
john_don_5122q.jpg

There was also Wayne (pacman) and son, Tristan. Chris (Dirtrideroader) had his daughter with him.

-------

Soozy joined Susan and I for the trip back. We took a slightly different route - SH6 to a bit of FM1238, then FM927 and SH144 into Glen Rose. There was a doe and fawn that just crossed the road in front of me on 927 but the gals didn't see them (I barely did).

We were hope a smidge after 3:00 - around 200 miles but lots of smiles...
:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I was wondering if Susan had gotten her MP3 yet, guess that's a yup. How's she liking it?

She will tell you that she loves it. So far it looks like a keeper. Should be doing the initial service this week.

Had a nice ride and good visiting with other TWTexans. Thanks again gilk51(chuck) for taking up the pie runs when chris moved.
(ps for wczimmerman: Hope all is well with your gang and you are thought of often here in Texas. )
P1020492.jpg

P1020490.jpg

P1020480.jpg

P1020469.jpg

P1020286.jpg

Last edited:
Man I'm hating myself right now. ><

This was the closest one to me and family stuff (and work actually at the very last second, yay for being on-call) consumed me for the last ~36hrs or so.

Hopefully the next one (I need to check the list) will be close enough for me.

Looks like it was a good time. :)

Had a really Great time meeting folks! I want to thank you guys for putting this together. Every reason to ride is a Good one!

Always....

Grumpy

Had a nice ride and good visiting with other TWTexans. Thanks again gilk51(chuck) for taking up the pie runs when chris moved.
(ps for wczimmerman: Hope all is well with your gang and you are thought of often here in Texas. )
Are those the only ones that came out? Tina was a massive shutterbug after you gave her the camera.

Thanks for organizing this thing Chuck, it was a great excuse for a ride. :clap: Good to see some old friends and new. Unfortunately I took zero pics the entire day.

The Austin and San Marcos groups met up at the 183/29 intersection at 8 am, and headed out on the route that wbrisett had thoughfully mapped out for us, even though he had to back out of doing the ride.

In Gatesville I suggested that we take a little detour to take advantage of the roads near Cranfills Gap. We took 215 and 2602 to Clifton. I'd actually been looking for 182, but got disoriented :scratch: :shrug: but no one seemed to mind. We made a short pitstop in Clifton, everyone just seemed happy to be riding. :rider:

We then headed west on 219 toward Fairy. At some point on a long straightaway I was passed at a high rate of speed by a yellow italian blur, then a red japanese blur, then a silver japanese blur. Whoosh! :lol2:

We rolled into Hico right at 11 after the yellow Ducati took a short nap just south of the construction zone on 281.

After mingling for a half hour in the parking lot, we had no trouble finding a big table. The service was fast and the food was tasty. I just wish they had cherry pie, that's my favorite. :eat:

Rode back to Killeen with Marc (on his "sonoma red" Bandit) and Rick (on his Triumph Speed Triple 675), our route took us back through Cranfills Gap, then south on 182 to Gatesville. It was definitely hot. :giveup:

I split from them in Killeen to stop and visit a friend, and enjoy some air conditioning. Ended up rolling into the driveway at 7:15, 325 miles for the day.

Great group to ride with from Austin, looking forward to the next one!

Had a great time. Don Vess and Regena Whaley are converts. We went to Dublin for true soda fountain treats and saw several folks who were at Koffee Kup. We took 219 back to South 281 then over to Goldwaithe and over to RR574 to eventually Regency Bridge. Unfortunately I led on the dirt roads and got us slightly lost. Thinking I was on the KLR was a mistake! A two wheel slide gave me a choice of a ditch or the woods. The woods were OK and made it back to the road (didn't go down). At Regency we stopped at the little campground where the folks from Deliverance had gathered and serenaded us with a few songs they had written. Then back down to San Saba and great ride on RR 580 to Lampasas. I tried out my new evaporative vest and would highly recommend one. With multiple CamelBaks and lots of frozen water, heat was not a problem.

Attachments

• Regena, Don and CR.jpg
    Regena, Don and CR.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 193
:sun: Well, my apologies for not getting there until 1 pm. An early morning call at work had me sleep until 7 am (time of planned departure). Regardless, I set off to have some pie with you all. My route to Hico followed US 290, and then Texas 36 via Brenham and Temple. In Jonesboro, I turned onto FM 1602 and put the Dakar through its paces with all the twists and turns :rider:

0628081428.jpg

I had to make a stop in Temple, but promptly got confused by the construction there. What a mess :giveup: Thus, between the late start and this I did not arrive until about 1 pm. Talked to Corinne "shootergal" and Becca a bit, and conversed with Dan "MR2MCH" about bikes; until everyone was ready to leave on their respective rides.

0628081259.jpg

The lone ranger left behind ;-)

0628081335.jpg

Had some Black Forest pie, and a few cups of iced tea :eat:....

0628081318.jpg

....before setting off on the return trip home. A few stops along the way....

0628081401.jpg

0628081440.jpg

0628081523.jpg

0628081527.jpg

Arrived home right at 7 pm.

0628082002.jpg

The images are from my phone camera, thus the average quality. It was HOT, and my behind was sore upon return. Note to self: Camelback, and saddle reupholstery before the next long ride. Sorry to not meet more of you, I hope to make it closer to 11 am next time. Still, I am refreshed. A ride of this caliber was overdue. See you at the next pie run :sun:

Re: Pie Run VI: Koffee Kup, Hico TX, 6/28 11:00 AM

The problem with the Pie run is that I left wanting more :sun: Great time, great food, great folks, great pictures. It was fun seeing new faces and revisiting with previous Pie run riders. Thanks to Chuck & all for pulling off yet another great Pie run.

Are those the only ones that came out? Tina was a massive shutterbug after you gave her the camera.

Tina took well over 100 pics for the day.:lol2: We are still going thru them. I am not sure how many pics TWT needs of folks standing around bikes and shoveling food so I didn't post nearly what I have on file.

She is hooked on shooting pics while riding now. There will be lots of drive bys in her future. I have more pics at photobucket-jackntx and quite a few here on the pc. I'll see what I can do about getting you and megan a cd by bike nite.
bikersmile.gif

P1020432.jpg

Last edited:
Back