• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 June Pie Run Report: Hico, TX 6/28 Koffe Kup

oh yeah.....

Who was the Transalp owner?

Nice ride!

The Transalp guy was Rick M(hope I'm right on this Rick) from Belton.He rode with my group from Waco on the way up & fittingly we did lots of co rds.Said the bike was bought recently from the Georgetown area I think. MAN...IT WAS CLEEEEANNN!!!!

Rod

I had a great trip. Mary (KrashDragon) and I came from North Richland Hills and got there about 10:25. We ate fairly early, and got out by about 12:30. I had lots to do back home, and Mary wanted to check up on her friend. FM51 was a lot of fun. On the way back I made the mistake of going up 377 through Granbury. I'd forgotten what a pain that was on a weekend. Oh, well, live and learn.

Top ten reasons the Hico Koffee Kup Pie Run was a BLAST for me:

10. Great nine bike group ride wonderfully lead by Maverick in the morning. (Don't bother to ask...I will not discuss the "Valero Incident")
9. Great ride home alone. (I mentally blocked the fact that the air temp. varied from a low of 97 to a high of 102)
8. Really fun sweepers and hills on FM1238, SH219, and FM182. These roads must have been laid out by a ST rider...they are perfect for the bike. (Thanks to Gilk51 for posting this route in the Pie Run thread)
7. Opportunity to run a couple of tanks of 100% gasoline thru the ST. The ST responded like a dog getting doggie treats after nothing but dry dog food for a month when it tasted that non-ethanol fuel.
6. Seeing all the neat bikes parked at the KK...Harleys, Goldwings, all manner of Sport Tourers, sportbikes, scooters, standards, trikes, etc...all peacefully co-existing. (This sets TWTEX's apart from other biker groups who tend to focus on one brand or model)
5. Getting farkel ideas.
4. Enjoying the original Pie Run location...the great venue that got it all started!!
3. Being part of the 100+ record setting attendance.
2. Eating PIE (Key Lime in my case!!)
1. BEING IN THE COMPANY OF THE GREAT TWO WHEELED TEXANS!!

Hey Mike! Great to have you along....I'm glad you had as much fun as I did! And thanx for leaving that whole "Valero Incident" off your list!:rofl:

Just got home. Looks like I have a few pages of catching up to do... ;-)

The Austin and San Marcos groups met up at the 183/29 intersection at 8 am, and headed out on the route that wbrisett had thoughfully mapped out for us, even though he had to back out of doing the ride.

I do wish that my wife, daughter and I could have made the trip, but there is always next time. Of course in my business, I usually always get last minute calls the day before a video/film shoot for work, and if they are paying rate, it's tough not to take the gig. Glad the route (modified) worked out for everybody. We'll really try to make the next one and not back out at the last minute.

Wayne

oh yeah.....

Who was the Transalp owner?

Nice ride!

That was me on the transalp. Have gotten into more off road riding lately and have a KLR also , I like the KLR but wanted something different. Found the Transalp about 30 miles from home and it is a really clean bike . I made my necessary mods and really like it . It does not look or ride like an 18 year old bike .
thanks Rick M

ALL WEEKEND there, & these are the only pics I took! :doh: You'll see pics at the KK, a pic of the next BMW I hope to buy :rofl: and my favorite riding peeps!

Attachments

• P1211180.jpg
    P1211180.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 197
  • P1211181.jpg
    P1211181.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 205
  • P1211182.jpg
    P1211182.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 195
  • P1221183.jpg
    P1221183.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 208
Erin and I had a good day. We rode over 450 miles and ended up staying at my brother and sister in-laws house in Austin.

I apologize on bailing on the group late in the day, but Erin was losing interest and I need to get her off of the bike.

I have no pictures to add, the camera decided to go south. I took one picture with my cell phone of Erin standing in front of the Moody city limits sign with her hands on her hips. She was asking me why am I standing in front of this sign. I asked her if she had read the sign. After she turned around and read it, she said you are deleting that picture. I would post it, but it is in Austin with my wallet taking a vacation.

We got up this morning and left Austin at 6:30. Pulled up to Weikels to gas up and get some Kolaches for breakfast. Reached in my pocket for my wallet and came up with air. Luckily, I had $3.79 in change in my suit. On I-10 in Columbus a guy came up riding a R1200GS Adventure just like mine. I started to pull him over and bum some gas money but thought better of the idea. The low fuel light came on just East of Sealy. We made it home with my bike saying I had 11 miles of gas left.

Overall, we rode 644.5 miles. Except for the heat, it was a perfect day. Maybe next month's pie run should be to some place in Colorado!

I took one picture with my cell phone of Erin standing in front of the Moody city limits sign with her hands on her hips. She was asking me why am I standing in front of this sign. I asked her if she had read the sign. After she turned around and read it, she said you are deleting that picture.

That was a great idea....you have to post it when you get the chance! She didn't look to enthused in Glen Rose:yawn:

It was nice to meet and ride with the two of you.

Robbie

The most interesting vehicle at the Hico Pie Run

Thanks for your efforts on this Chuck.

Lots of bikes to look at there, but the most interesting vehicle was a 1929 Model A from Indiana. Jack Sullivan and his wife have driven the car for over 200,000 miles Pulling their 1929 Sears pop up mono-wheel trailer behind. Jack and his wife had put more miles on their Model A than any one else registered in the Model A restorer's club. Here is the link I just found on him via Google:

http://www.modelarestorers.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=429

They did the Alaska Highway last year and apparently make a regular stop at the Koffee Kup when passing through. That pretty much puts most of us to shame doesn't it. By the way, the 1929 Model A had about 40 horsepower....

Enjoyed the ride up and meeting a few of you. In the way back Started to head to Dublin to have an original Doctor Pepper at the plant,...but....sheez....was it gettin hot.

Tried my "Bead Rider" and full wicking under armor under my breathable woven Kevlar gear.......in spite of the heat,....I stayed pretty comfortable all day. 300 miles total on the LT.

Brian in Austin (at the intersection of 1431 and Lime creek roads)

BC
Wildwestrider

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Hey Rick,
Did you find out if you are still the owner of a Strom? or maybe a DRZ...

Rod

I guess that wasnt mine - he still has it , So far anyways . I am trying to make my son understand how worthless a supermoto bike is compared to the Strom . Rick

that is two great rides where I have forgot the camera. thanks to bobcat and her alternate route had a great ride and Marc your right no way your missing JD and that bright yellow bike. I should have followed you all back through the gap, but now I can say I have been to dublin. hope to make the next one.

Hey, it was great to meet all the folks I met, and the next time I'll meet some more of you....<G>
Hey Shootergal, great to finally meet you, would have stayed longer to gab, but...long story. And it was only getting hotter..
Talkatcha later...

Ok, when's the next pie run? <G>
Mary

Huge thanks to everyone that continues to support TWT - your bikes/cars/trucks will wear the decals proudly. We raised almost $70 for the website in decals alone! :clap:

If I didn't have the size/color decal you wanted or if I didn't get around to you (hey, a girl's gotta eat ya know ;-) ) PM me and I can get you whatever you need. Almost every color is available - even pink and purple for you, Kim :mrgreen:

My Saturday started off dark just after 6am with Jamey (JAR675) from Stafford. This just isn't natural for me... :yawn:

322522988_vvqUU-O.jpg

Met the NW Houston group in Navasota at the corner of Hwy 6 and 105. No, not that one - the other one. :doh: Thanks to Chris (DirtRideRoader) for joining up in Hempstead and knowing where the meet-up was. ;-)

322523113_U5kHB-O.jpg

As we headed out up Hwy 6, I took advantage of a slow(ish) 4-lane section to get a rolling roll call:

David (Maverick)
322523220_hozGz-O.jpg

Corrine (SchooterGal)
322523366_XXW6W-O.jpg

ToroGuy(?)
322523461_DF3yH-O.jpg

Tim (Abby)
322523560_wy8KQ-O.jpg

Greg (Gregwithsomenumbers)
322523640_jDyVA-O.jpg

Deb (Snoopster)
322523738_nc4wt-O.jpg

Jamey (JAR675)
322523860_98Fru-O.jpg

Chris (DirtRideRoader) and his daughter Erin
322523981_Ch9Ud-O.jpg

Incline? What oncline?
322524162_aeWP6-O.jpg

Mav's bike left its mark on the tarmac... (and unfortunately the tarmac left its mark on his bike)
322518133_dRGzH-O.jpg

"Who me? Oh, I'm just waiting for Maverick. Silly guy, he dropped his bike in the parking lot!"
322518504_Z5FMa-O.jpg

And we hit the road again
322518900_YkmMA-O.jpg

A few of the "originals" - Deb and Chuck with their vintage name tags
322519025_F4oEW-O.jpg

A bunch of people were already leaving at 11:30 when our group rolled in, and many more were gone by noon when we got as many as we could to gather for a group picture.
322519215_K9dr6-O.jpg

We needed to decrease the mileage between stops as the day wore on. It was just too hot to ride the route we'd planned, so from here (some town with an L?) we decided to cut south for Temple.
322519383_7Xake-O.jpg

At another shaded rest stop at a Dairy Queen, the asphalt not only wanted to swallow my kickstand, but it wanted the kickstand plate too! :eek2:

322519530_PK75a-O.jpg

Ten Minute Call... :sun:

322519645_6ZZ6u-O.jpg

322519819_RS65A-O.jpg

322519957_ti2do-O.jpg

Hotel time! The sun was starting to set, bellies were rumbling, and the dogs were barking...

322520101_D5uCY-O.jpg

Messican! :eat:

322520250_ybTkV-M.jpg

We can still see you :-P
(There's TWO fingers up, not just one!)
322520398_J7TxK-M.jpg

Brian (Nixx) and James (?) from Austin joined us for dinner before splitting off for home.

322520696_dDhLM-O.jpg

Whitebread (Robbie?) is in the blurry-faced witness protection program. :lol2:

322520816_FRATs-M.jpg

But if you sneak a picture when he's NOT being blurrified, he'll give you the evil eye! :giveup:

322520935_rQBBk-O.jpg

Shower. Sleep. Morning. Pack. Breakfast at IHOP.

322521094_Btbgu-O.jpg

Jamey departed north on 35 towards Kansas City to start a two week riding/family vacation. :clap:

322521207_4WR8R-O.jpg

With a smaller group and more time to play, we stopped more frequently on the ride back.

322521362_2at72-O.jpg

322521503_EEvJM-O.jpg

This was ShooterGal's first ride that exceeded 100 miles! Considering she probably topped 600 miles in 100+ degree weather, she has certainly proven she's gotten over her "should I just give up" thinking. :cool2:

322521658_WGEjd-O.jpg

We split off in Navasota and went back from whence we came.

The gals:
322521946_BX6qx-O.jpg

The gents:
322522151_LjP8h-O.jpg

"Hey, what's that noise? It sounds like my bi..."
322522270_e7TX3-S.jpg

"What the?"
322522401_uNeUX-S.jpg

"Where's he going with my bike?"
322522553_iEveR-S.jpg

SQUID! :phead:
322522729_mxhLq-S.jpg

Sayonara! Until next time... :bigokay:

322522888_6gihC-O.jpg

Last edited:
OMG!!! Squeaky you rock! This was almost as much fun as the trip. Thanx SO MUCH!! And thanx too for being so kind in how you described certain situations!:rofl: I owe you!!

That was me on the transalp. Have gotten into more off road riding lately and have a KLR also , I like the KLR but wanted something different. Found the Transalp about 30 miles from home and it is a really clean bike . I made my necessary mods and really like it . It does not look or ride like an 18 year old bike .
thanks Rick M

TRANSALP!!! You rock, Man. I wish I had seen it. I wonder, is it going to feel lighter, the same, or heavier than the KLR on dirt roads and rocky pastures? Can you lower it and put baskets on it?:) Can I sit on it? I promise not to scratch the seat with my boots when I mount and demount?;-)

I hate to see you sell the KLR. It's a real cream puff. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor. You are such a fanatic when it comes to caring for your bikes. You seem to have as much fun polishing and caring for them as you riding them.

If I didn't already have a KLR, I take yours in a heartbeat. But, since you know how I have adorned mine with all the finer necessities suitable to comfort me, such as baskets, etc., you probably wouldn't sell it to me, uh?:rofl: :rofl:

Happy Riding!

Back