• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July 2008 – NM, UT, CO - See Nutt Ride

NUTT

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
M
Re: July 2008 – NM, UT, CO

I made it to my friend's house in Fort Worth without issue today. Tomorrow is going to be a long day on the bike... 600 + miles...

I'm in Taos, NM eating breakfast. I camped in the Carson National Forest last night, thanks for the recommendations.

Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment... full ride report will follow sometime after I get home.

2008-07-NM-CO016a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO019a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO045a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO076a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO088a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO094a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO095a.gif

The beads + sheepskin + bike shorts is perfect. I did over 600 miles yesterday and was ready for more.

I'm getting back on the road in a few... I'm going to head for the Silverton/Ouray area today.

great pics, I'm a little jealous.

so whats with 89 on the po-leese radar? was that you, and how did you talk him into taking a pic of it?

great pics, I'm a little jealous.

so whats with 89 on the po-leese radar? was that you, and how did you talk him into taking a pic of it?

I was already jealous that I couldn't see the pictures at work, now you really have my couriosity pegged. Can't wait to get home and check out his pictures.

I was already jealous that I couldn't see the pictures at work, now you really have my couriosity pegged. Can't wait to get home and check out his pictures.

the dirt road pic is my favorite, it just looks cool
and I still say the Uly is a sweet looking bike

THE PICS WERE WORTH THE WAIT. :clap:

So tell me... did you put in your application? I might know someone and can put in a couple of words on your behalf.... NAH... Know you well!:rofl:

I even warned you about 287... Were you between W. Falls and Amarillo?

I must admit that I need to think about camping more, that place looks great!

Hope today's ride was better than expected for you, you are now entering the good parts of the route!

NUTT sighting in Ouray 3:45pm local time. I had wandered upstairs in the rental condo and was trying to decide whether to put on boots and pants and wander around Ouray on the Transalp or just wait until my father in law and some of the others were ready for the daily run to the Beer garden. In my indecision I flopped on the floor for a spontaneous nap and to ponder these tough decisions. Such a tough life. Anyway, about 15 minutes into my pondering somebody knocked on my door. It was my father in law and he started talking to my wife. Beer time. Then I heard another unknown voice and it was asking if I was around. I hadn't expected him until tomorrow morning for breakfast, but he had made better time than planned.

I ran him around a little looking for a campground. The KOA was much further out of town than I had thought, and the other place in town really didn't have tent spots. There were some places in the national forest on the south side of town, but because of the 4th celebrations Ouray detours all traffic for the day and it can be a mess getting through town so those wouldn't work for Steve. So we chatted a bit and he headed north with the plan of getting past Montrose and closer to some twisty roads. We got someone to snap a picture, but it was with his camera so we will have to wait for him to post it.

Funny thing was that he gave me a TWT sticker to put on the Transalp. Which I will try to do in the morning so I will have it on if I ride the bike in the parade.

Anyway, glad to meet you and I hope the rest of the trip goes well.

I'm in Taos, NM eating breakfast.

2008-07-NM-CO095a.gif

I'm guessing you ate at Guadalajara? :eat:

Had I caught onto this thread before you left I would have offered you a spot to camp at our place either here on the Rio Grande:
81457289_RPJj9-M.jpg

Or the new place just off Hwy 518 near Sipapu:
209979308_ZnGMM-M.jpg

Yes, it was me. I just asked... he was actually pretty cool. He let me soak up some A/C for about 5 minutes while he was printing up my performance award (my first on 2 wheels by the way).

I even warned you about 287... Were you between W. Falls and Amarillo?

Err... no comment.

So, it is late here on the south side of Denver. We went up to Boulder to watch the fireworks.

Good trip so far. Here is just a taste more:

2008-07-NM-CO162a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO250a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO300a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO328a.gif

:tab Mt Evans is awesome! Looks like you had good weather too. It was clear when we were there, but the wind was cranking. It was right at 50F and it was in late June. The air is a bit thin there for me. I walked across the parking lot at the top and started seeing little white dots flying all around my vision. I was very careful not to exert myself and rode down nice and slow until we got back under 12000 feet. Below that I am fine. Did you run 103 back to the East after you left the park? I think that is called Squaw Pass road? That whole stretch from Idaho Springs to Bergen Park is a great ride :rider:

:tab The Peak to Peak Highway run up to Estes Park is great to. If you go that way, just watch for the CHP because they patrol it like crazy :wary:

Mt. Evans was great. I was a little tired when I first got up there but hung out for about 20 minutes, got some water & food, then hiked up the rest of the hill. I was absolutely screaming on the way down the mountain. I ended up getting behind some kid in a forest service truck who obviously (hopefully) knew the road very well so I just followed his lead.

A few more pictures...

2008-07-NM-CO216a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO244a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO255a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO285a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO299a.gif

2008-07-NM-CO339a.gif

No worries, it was just a boneheaded u-turn drop. The bike is loaded top heavy & my legs were a bit tired. No damage other than a slightly scuffed sidecase.

After spending last night partying pretty hard in Denver, I got up late and only managed to get in 700 miles today. I'm fairly confident that I could have done the entire 1,100 mile trip in one day with enough rest and a 5 or 6 a.m. start.

I'm camping at the Best Western tonight... way hardcore!

glad you made it home safe.
got any more pics of that desmo?

got any more pics of that desmo?

A couple more... I'll post them up tonight when I get home from work.

I was in Aspen and had just finished an early lunch when I look over and say to myself, "Cool, a new 1098. I wonder if it is an S?" And then something sort of came over me and I said, "Wait a minute... that isn't a 1098". I made the U-turn and sure enough, $75K worth of Ducati parked on the street.

Funny thing about Aspen, Colorado. There were women there that I'm certain cost way more than that bike. Lots of wheeled & legged eye candy there (and it works both ways ladies).

Back