• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Martinez Summer Ride (Las Vegas and back, the twisty way.)

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
I figure since we're about to leave Texas, I'll post up a quick how's it do. Perhaps I'll post a handful of photos from Las Vegas.

• Leaving on time is nearly impossible.
  • 337 has a nice 6 mile chunk of construction, or gravel and dirt - very fun on a loaded down SV650S or a GL1800.
  • The parts of 337 that aren't underconstruction are really fun.
  • I'm glad that some combination of my Mom saying she had to pee, my veteran status, and my CHL convinced the sheriff outside Bracketville not to give both bikes tickets for speeding - even though I actually thought I was GOING the speed limit (and still never saw signs to the contrary.)
  • 118 from Ft. Davis to the McDonald Observatory is really fun too.
  • 118 from the observatory to I-10 is not as fun.
  • Deciding to ride from Ft. Davis to Las Cruces at noon, turned out impossible because...
  • 105F in El Paso traffic is more than pretty much anyone can handle on two wheels.
  • I will need a new can of chain lube, probably by Flagstaff
  • My riding gear will be in the For Sale section after this ride, stuff that actually fits me would be much better.
  • I need to get off the computer, and get on the bike :rider:

That's a wrap for now. I'll post more later.

[*]My riding gear will be in the For Sale section after this ride, stuff that actually fits me would be much better.

Moto Liberty has a store in San Antonio now. Maybe you can drop by on the way back.

Enjoy your trip! :rider:
(don't lose all yer $$$ in Vegas) :-P

Last edited:
And so it begins... :dude:

I cannot wait to see your impression of the roads and scenery once you get into Arizona, Utah and Colorado!!

He just left me a note saying they will not be able to stop by Tucson, too many curvy roads to see and not enough time. Have fun, stay stafe and take tons of pictures.

In Silver City, NM - 152 through Gila National Forest was outstanding. I've taken some photos, my Mom has taken a ton from the back of the wing.

Be safe on the way up and back. Vegas is a fun town.

sorry about the lack of a SPOT, being a civilian again got kinda expensive. Of course my folks are with me, so they already know where I am.

Scott, there's a fire burning across 191. Closed for 50mi from just north of Clifton. We stopped in Clifton to route ourselves around it. 78 was pretty cool though.

ps I'm in Globe AZ right now. Going up by Roosevelt lake and through Payson to Flagstaff ancon to the canyon today. About to make tracks.

sounds like fun, minus the fire, looking forward to seeing pictures and reading the full report, You and your folks keep the rubber on the road.

Nice - mom, dad, and eldest son on the road together. :zen:

Wait! Who's watching the house? :eek2:

:lol2:

When do we get to see some pics?

Have fun. Utah is my favorite scenery state. Vegas is fun even if you don't gamble. The show at the Wynn is incredible.

Scott, there's a fire burning across 191. Closed for 50mi from just north of Clifton. We stopped in Clifton to route ourselves around it. 78 was pretty cool though.

Noooooo!!!!! :headbang: That sucks!

Ah well... just a good excuse to go back some time :trust:

The Grand Canyon was excellent, took a chopper flight over it - amazing. Had a cool ride until about noon when we hit the final stretch to Las Vegas. Going back to Hoover Dam in the morning.

Are you gonna ask some dam question??? and take dam pictures???

I'm at my apartment now, I've got quite a lot of geotagging and photo-captioning to do so I can do the full report :rider:

Awesome! I hope the weather was good for you. How soon before you go back? :trust:

Photo teaser. I'll get the rest of them named, and captioned shortly. I just finished geotagging the whole set. This one is several photos stitched together, since my camera doesn't zoom out nearly wide enough. Fun what you can do with several exposures and Photoshop!

2656171201_f4f65f2b84_b.jpg

btw, this is on FM337 just East of Vanderpool.

Still working on the photos. I fly to Toronto/Montréal/NYC on Thursday, so I plan to have my photos + ride report complete by then.

2668116767_8af3160a98_b.jpg

Last edited:
Alright folks, I've done the ride report - it's on my blog. I will cross-post tonight after the Dynamo game.

Back