• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Exercising the KLR

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
I have been working on (working over?) the well used KLR that I bought a couple of months ago getting it ready for reliable long trips. After the latest repairs I was looking for a good reason to put some mixed miles on it and I spotted Richard's ride from Austin to LLano in the dual sports upcoming rides section.

Since the ride started at Jim's in Austin and I live 200 miles away in Arlington my riding started at 4:30 with the plan being to get to Jim's in time for breakfast.

IMG_1058.jpg

Plans worked out, the shot above was taken at a rest stop along the way. Rolling from there with the rising sun over my left shoulder I resolved to experiment with ways to make my camera accessible while under way. The shadow of my machine and I stretched out long on the shoulder of the road while the sun was low in the sky. The image I saw would have made a great shot.

A couple of us ate, the rest showed up at the appointed time and we visited for a few minutes before getting under way.

IMG_1062.jpg

RickM had his immaculate TransAlp there, this machine has fewer scratches on it than my FJR does!

IMG_1059.jpg

As we rolled along in the dirt another good shot escaped me for lack of having the camera out, so I just grabbed it and started experimenting.

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

Right after trying to get a shot looking back the road went uphill left and was loose and rocky. With the camera in my left hand, and no lanyard on it I had the pleasure of standing on the pegs, gassing it and riding it out one handed. The other option of dropping the camera was only going to be used as crash avoidance if needed. Fortunately it was not real knarly and somehow I rode out the other side to smooth enough ground so I could get the camera back into its case. Lanyard next time! Oh and the shot looking back..... yeah... it did not come out.

IMG_1068.jpg

We enjoyed lunch at Cooper's. The view of the river while crossing the bridge was inviting.

After lunch I just had to check it out.

IMG_1073.jpg

Everybody else headed back to Austin, I headed for the water.

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Very refreshing.

IMG_1080.jpg

Excellent paved roads led me north, I just had to stop here....

IMG_1083.jpg

For this...........

IMG_1082.jpg

This was my third time at Ice Cream Station, second time on solo ride. I was on my way to Colorado Bend State Park, less than twenty miles from the station and just decided it was too early in the day to shut down.

I checked out San Saba county road 409 and it was well worth the time to ride.

IMG_1085.jpg

This gorgeous rock wall lined a field. It has grown over in most places, and a newer fence was put in behind it at some time or another, but the sight of these old rock walls always makes me want to stop and wonder just what the area looked like in the days when they were built.

IMG_1088.jpg

Farther up, an old home place stands. The rock fireplaces and chimneys are all that is left of a home long gone. I wanted to poke around these and look up close, but they are on private property, so I just snapped them and then spent a few minutes studying them from the edge of the road.

When I got to the state park I rolled into the camping area before stopping at the office. I wanted to make sure I could fine a suitable spot before plunking down my cash. The park was packed. The only open spots were tree-less spaces whose tables had already been yanked to the occupied spots. I counted 8 tents on one spot alone! Whatever happened to the rules about occupancy limits on camp sites? I guess they are still there, just not enforced. As I walked around the tent area my ears were assaulted by the different radios blaring. Each had their own station playing and had the volume up loud enough to try and drown out their neighbors.

This is NOT what I had in mind for camping. Quiet and solitude were my plans. The state park was not going to cut it.

Upriver several miles is a private campground owned and run by a family that lives right there at the gate. They are serious about no excessive noise, and quiet time after 10:00PM is for real.

Barefoot.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Now THIS is more like it.

The views north and south from my spot:

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

The nearest campers were six or seven good sized spaces away and were very quiet people. Later on a young couple set up camp at the south end and had a radio going, but soon after it was turned on they turned it way down. I had to listen hard to hear it over the frogs, bugs, birds, and breezes. It was off for the night by 8:30.

IMG_1099.jpg

This 'dillo went about its business passing near my spot. There were a few deer to, but no good chances to get pictures as they were towards the sun from me.

IMG_1106.jpg

Mr. Craggy tree stood sentry over my camp.

The sun set on my first long day on the KLR, 448 miles for the day.

IMG_1109.jpg

Sunrise starts day two..... due to a gear issue I had no way to make coffee at camp, so I broke camp and headed to Lometa in search of gas and breakfast. Gas at Shell, and Breakfast at The Wagon Wheel worked out well.

IMG_1114.jpg

The folks there were very friendly. A local with many scars just had to tell me about his motorcycle wreck from years ago that gave him his scars. Another fellow , much older than the first, told me how his last bike was the old water buffalo. He had one new and scared himself right off of riding with that old beast. The lady with him recommended a county road on the way to Hamilton, said she enjoyed it in a car and thought it would be good on a bike. She was right, and I did not have the heart to tell her that it was already in my plans. I thanked her for the recommendation and assured her I would check it out.

A sign caught my eye while I was there...... It says to ask about their selection of homemade pie. Thinking ahead about pie run possibilities I did my TWT duty and asked. As of now all they make are apple and chess pies. The dining room is sufficient for us, but until they expand the selection scouting trips will be few and far between.

Since I was in the general area I had to visit a particular gate that I know about...

IMG_1115.jpg

This time from the public side. I took the chance to see what I missed on the Hico DS run, there is some good gravel out there.

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Made it home after 191 miles today. Tally for the two day trip is 639 trouble free miles. The old KLR consumed a good bit of oil. That is the only problem area that I know of right now. The list of farkles I would like to add before Mex-Trek is getting long and expensive, good panniers are a must before another long trip.

All in all this was a good way to spend a weekend.

Last edited:
Great report Ed. I am glad it was you that bought Tom's KLR.
I would still be working on it...........:giveup:

BTW

If I saw this coming toward me on the shore, I'd high tail it.............:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IMG_1077.jpg

I only took a couple of pics during this trip (sorry, I was being lazy). During a stop on CR 315 aka Click Road I got this good pic of Ed and his KLR.

IMG_03671.jpg

Back