• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

You are not old enough for it to have happened a longgggg time ago!:trust:

Lonnnnnggggggg time ago, is all relevant to the person speaking it. For me, a long time ago would be two or three weeks for others...:lol2:

It's been a week - where are the rest of the reports and pictures? ;-)

You young guys should have recovered by now! :-P

:popcorn: :coffee:

It's been a week - where are the rest of the reports and pictures? ;-)

You young guys should have recovered by now! :-P

:popcorn: :coffee:

Working on it, but work has been nuts this week. There's a lot of catching up to do after three weeks away! :giveup:

I'm processing photos and posting them by taking each day of the ride and doing it in batches. I do pics then ride report for each day. I'll have some more time to work on it this weekend, but I make no promises on when it'll be done.

Patience, you must have, or to the Dark Side, or you will yield. :zen:

The mountains around destruction bay made a real impression on me - maybe it was the lighting at 10:30 in the evening that made them special

334598164_hPUS5-S.jpg

334598226_nFMHK-S.jpg

334598423_e4jCY-S.jpg

Hi Billy
334598581_YTURh-S.jpg

Darn unreliable BMW's:lol2: (hey how did Graemes pic end upon my camera:trust:
334599286_6mzTe-S.jpg

I am just wondering which of them was the first to say, "Man, this brings back memories!"

-Saul

It got really embarrassing when Sparky asked the office if he could use Thumb cuffs on him :rofl:

There is an episode of "Tougher in Alaska" tonight that focuses on the State Troopers

BTW - Sparky kept calling him "Officer Wonderful"

I am not really sure I want the answer but...

Did the officer like being called "Officer Wonderful" by Bryan? If he did, that might explain why he had at least 4 pairs of handcuffs in his truck.

-Saul

There is an episode of "Tougher in Alaska" tonight that focuses on the State Troopers

Now that's just plain wrong. If anyone was calling him "Officer Wonderful" it was one of you guys. Just look at the smiles on your faces when he brought out the cuffs!

334751375_AUJ4j-M.jpg

334751834_gyvQz-M.jpg

334752320_ShSsk-M.jpg

:rofl:

Now that's just plain wrong. If anyone was calling him "Officer Wonderful" it was one of you guys. Just look at the smiles on your faces when he brought out the cuffs!

Pics Snipped

Um, wow....it does look like they're enjoying that just a *bit* too much...heh!

Wow! You're right. I didn't even notice it until you said something.

334752320_ShSsk-M.jpg

334752320_ShSsk-M.jpg

Actually he looks like they put the "thumb" cuffs a bit too tight... :eek2: :rofl:

Day 6

Today was the big day for our final push north to the Arctic Circle. This is what we came all this way to do, and it was finally here - and it was raining. So we pulled the bikes under the hotel porte-cochere to load up.

334727780_bNHQS-M.jpg

We gassed up and made our way out of Fairbanks on the Elliot Highway. It was raining steadily and looked like we were in for a long slog. When we got to the start of the Dalton Highway we stopped to take a few pics.

334731619_6UygV-M.jpg

By this point, we had traveled about 80 miles or so, and our next scheduled gas stop was the Yukon River Crossing 56 miles further up the road.

334731005_zCEr5-M.jpg

We got back on the bikes and headed north. This was the view we had for much of the first 20 miles...

334731909_H2X9Y-M.jpg

It was slippery but not unmanageable and we made good time. The further north we went the better the weather got and eventually we were out of the rain.

334732446_n7qrv-M.jpg

After a while the dirt/gravel ended and we were back on pavement for a time. We stopped at a pull-out to examine the bikes and have a bio-break. Only 20 or 25 miles on dirt and the bikes were already filthy. :rider:

334733730_xRzXC-M.jpg

334735622_uR29P-M.jpg

334736279_ZwFAp-M.jpg

334736763_ESevA-M.jpg

We were back on pavement for a while, and what fine pavement it was. It was really weird, because I had heard so many stories about how tough this road was and here we were riding on the smoothest stretch of asphalt I have ever seen. It was like a race track!

334736982_A79bf-M.jpg

But as expected, that didn't last too long, and ahead we could see the end of the pavement. We also caught a glimpse of the Alaska Pipeline in the distance.

334737224_WBomW-M.jpg

We made our way to the Yukon River crossing and our first gas stop just on the other side. The bridge across the Yukon was interesting. It had a sloping grade of 7% with a wood surface.

334754257_7923f-M.jpg

We pulled into the Yukon River Camp for gas at the single pump and to take a break.

334740766_TZNU8-M.jpg

334737736_gbZPa-M.jpg

Here at the crossing the pipeline is just across the road.

334738175_rbHoK-M.jpg

Bill met a fellow Texan of the four-legged kind and made a new friend. Shhh, don't tell Max.:shame:

334738869_eT2qn-M.jpg

It seems like this day the Dalton Highway was a place for yellow beemers to congregate.

334739497_V3oju-M.jpg

334740185_SHXG7-M.jpg

All gassed up, it was time to head for the Circle.

334741375_CGVRb-M.jpg

The road was dirt from the Yukon river until about 20 miles south of the circle, then it was back to pavement.

334741719_TCSF2-M.jpg

At last we made it to the Arctic Circle. The weather was beautiful and it was a warm day with the temp in the 60s. When we first got there, we had the place all to ourselves, but shortly after we got there, a bus load of tourist arrived. We waited a while for them to do their crossing the circle "ceremony" - red carpet with a yellow line on it. Very hokey, but Bill decided it was worth a photo op...

334742886_Rb2wq-M.jpg

The tourists eventually cleared out for lunch, and we lined our bikes up for pics...

334744791_XyWyX-M.jpg

334750048_y7Pw6-M.jpg

334745821_DRWfF-M.jpg

334746361_82y3R-M.jpg

It was about this time that the law showed up.

334746885_WesJR-M.jpg

Turns out that officer Benson, who flies both choppers and fixed-wing aircraft for Alaska, is a native Texan. :clap:

334750827_5KCcz-M.jpg

He had come to the Arctic Circle for a picture as well, though somehow I don't think he spent $4,000. :lol2: He had a trophy in his truck, and he came to get a picture of it at the Circle. The Alaska State Troopers have an annual shooting competition with the Canadian Mounties in the Yukon, and this year Alaska won. So the trophy is on a photo tour.

334749287_4ti7p-M.jpg

Then Al and Graeme tried to steal it...

334747704_XDHkD-M.jpg

And that's when we got arrested...

334752837_nXy2d-M.jpg

No that's not what happened. I really don't know whose idea this was, all I know is that one minute we were laughing it up with officer Benson, and the next we were all handcuffed. We were let go with a warning to be safe on our ride home, and we headed back south.

We ran into some more rain, but it was brief.

334753538_hTc8n-M.jpg

We stopped for gas again at the Yukon River Crossing, and this time parked the bikes under the pipeline for quick pic...

334754880_7cZAu-M.jpg

We continued south but had to pull off and wait for a very wide load to come through...

334755172_2ueRa-M.jpg

This barge was being hauled up to Prudhoe from Valdez, and we had gotten stuck behind it two days earlier between Tok and Fairbanks.

Continuing south we got back into the nasty weather, but were out of it again for the last two hours back into Fairbanks.

334755421_kbPXQ-M.jpg

This was one of the best days I ever had riding. There was nothing particularly challenging or exciting about the road, but it was the place that made it special. We were in Alaska, riding our bikes along the Alaska Pipeline, and we crossed the Arctic Circle. That's something that a relatively few people get to do, let alone on two wheels. And it was a very long journey to get here. This continent is a very big place, and there is so much in it to see. We had seen a lot in the last nine days, and it was awe-inspiring. I personally feel blessed to have been able to take this journey.

But, the trip was far from over. There is much more to this adventure yet to come...

Mileage for Day 6: 391
Total Mileage to date: 2,521

Back