• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not bad for the first solo trip.

Sushi? Really? You are very adventurous! California Rolls are as close as I come to sushi.

Is that your first memory of me, Sooze? Walking into your office like I owned the place? HAHAA! My recollection was that I was pissy. The YCC that I worked the year before at Eglin, was supposed to have me back for a second year, but by the time I got around to letting them know, they had already filled all the positions, and recommended I try your camp.

I thought I was being contrite. Begging for a job. I must say that I enjoyed all the perks of being your friend - all the backstage passes to the concerts. Cheap Trick, Harry Chapin, Jimmy Buffett, Chuck Mangione, Little River Band...:drums:

Soozy was BIG time at Florida State University. A powerful woman in a powerful position. With great hair. but no hat.

Hannah's right, that wet dog is a Great Pyr. She's the animal expert!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So, Soozy, when is the No Real Reason to Party Party?

Everyone here liked that one, Ken! I think that party might be tonight.

I was at Bongo Billy's yesterday. I have discovered Chai Latte. As I was leaving on the scooter, a man ran up to me to ask about it. All in one breath he said, "Hey what is that, I sell Piaggios in Canyon City and you must come ride one and you can even stay at the house while you are there."
It is such a mind boggling change from the anonymous cold city life I live where I rarely see a person twice and everyone remains a polite stranger. I had to tell my breakfast companion this morning that I don't know if I am soon LEAVING crazy people to go home or if I am going home to crazy people.

Joe and I went on an adventure yesterday. There is a wild man here...Bishop...64 years old, who started building a castle in the 60's. The following pictures are his life work and are of a place of wonder and fun. The Bishop Castle

Windy roads take you there to Beulah, Colorado.
IMG_0918.jpg

Mr. Bishop is eccentric.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

First glimpse.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

The Dragon's head is a chimney.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

The large interior room is used for functions and very beautiful.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Soaring towers.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

And every angle is a fun view.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Rapunzel, let down your hair.

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Every castle needs a throne.

IMG_0990.jpg

Here is Mr. Bishop. He is telling us all about the government conspiracy after the stock market crash and how the movie Wizard of Oz parallels it. The TIN man represents Tax Identification Number. The wizard is the government...made to look terrifying, but once seen for what he really is, not powerful or scary at all.

IMG_0992.jpg

He also raves about Ron Paul. And he wants us all to trademark our SS numbers so that if the government wants to correspond with us, they will have to pay for the right of using our trademark just to write to us.

He takes donations toward his project. Because he has done no permits, he has not been allowed to be listed as a tourist stop and he cannot charge. He says the place belongs to everyone.

As we parted, we realized we were hungry, so this hotdog stand was on our path.

IMG_1007.jpg

The owner came out to greet us and tell us she was closed early because the town of Wescliffe had some social gathering that evening. Every direction I looked was similar to the castle experience. Here I was seeing what a person who does not watch TV and pursues a passion can do with their time. All of these shots are her husband's work with wood, bones, and antlers that he gathers locally.

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

Another BANNER day was enjoyed as we sat in the local Irish Pub in a town of strangers only to find out we sat between friends of Joe in a place we would not have expected to find people he knows.

The function the town closed for was a wake for a local. Here is the joke of the day.

What is the difference in an Irish party and an Irish wake?

One less drunk.

Joe and I are thinking about going to Teepee Town for the night. I am also making plans for the trip home now. I think Wednesday I will go to Trinidad State Park via the Hwy of Legends and stay a night, then to Palo Dura Canyon for a night, then home.

I haven't sweat once up here. My sweat glands are officially on notice to be ready.

I think I am going to have to set my tent up in my room when I get home. It is so cozy and comfortable.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Joe and I are thinking about going to Teepee Town for the night. I am also making plans for the trip home now. I think Wednesday I will go to Trinidad State Park via the Hwy of Legends and stay a night, then to Palo Dura Canyon for a night, then home.

I haven't sweat once up here. My sweat glands are officially on notice to be ready.

I think I am going to have to set my tent up in my room when I get home. It is so cozy and comfortable.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

MMmmmmmm! Palo Duro Canyon,
Yummmmmm! Biting Horse Flies, Yep Good Times!:eek2:
Stop by a Bee Keepers Supply and pick up another HAT.

Glad you are having FUN!:clap:

Curtis

Awesome travelogue.

Is the section of river you're running have the 7 Dwarves on it, or is that another section?

Soozy,

I'm really glad this has turned out to be such a great and fun adventure for you! I've really enjoyed reading about it and I appreciate you sharing... I hope you have a plesant and safe trip home... sweating and all..

Hey Double 0 Soozy. Teddy C here Great pics great trip report. Thank everyone from this site for sharing such an awesome lady with us in Colorado. Had a great time meeting you. Thanx for letting me be a part of your adventure. Hope to cross paths again soon.:clap:

Hey Double 0 Soozy. Teddy C here Great pics great trip report. Thank everyone from this site for sharing such an awesome lady with us in Colorado. Had a great time meeting you. Thanx for letting me be a part of your adventure. Hope to cross paths again soon.:clap:

:clap: You know.... based on her reports there may be more of us wandering into your beautiful part of the world looking to ride that river.

Hey Teddy C!!! Welcome to the forum! Jen is texting Joe almost hourly that she wants to move here NOW. Good news huh? :trust:

Elzi... Rebecca and Jeff guide here by summer and there on the Grande in the winter. They are wonderful enjoyable people. I have their email address.

I will post soon about the TeePee Town stay and another river trip. I had another blast going down the river with a Minnesotan woman doing environmental studies and a Belgian fellow on a hitch hiking spiritual journey that takes him where it takes him.

My time is up soon.

Sooooooo....... any of you guys do rafting on the Rio Grande in Big Bend? :trust: Like, between Xmas and New Years? :trust: :trust:

We've done a couple 3-day trips a few years back. Usually go in the spring when the water is high. Sometimes in the winter, you can simply jump across the river, not much fun for rafting.

You going to be at Uncles this year?

Elzi... Rebecca and Jeff guide here by summer and there on the Grande in the winter. They are wonderful enjoyable people. I have their email address.
By all means; we can hook up when I'm there in December (I'll be there almost two weeks).

Hey, squeeze all the fun you can while you're there. This place....... ;-)

We've done a couple 3-day trips a few years back. Usually go in the spring when the water is high. Sometimes in the winter, you can simply jump across the river, not much fun for rafting.

You going to be at Uncles this year?
As far as I know. I need to check in with Roger in a few to confirm. You making an appearance?

Water level wasn't too bad last Xmas. I'll play it by ear, er, oar? I'd really like to raft through The Lady while I'm there in December. :trust:

Hey Double o That would be nice I miss her already. Hey Texas I am usually persuing my other passion here in the mountains (skiing) in december. The blue Bear (my raft) is in hibernation mode at that time.

While in TeePee Town, Joe and I met Toon (pronounced tone) and Patricia. We all hung out until late by the fire Toon keeps well supplied.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Toon is a very interesting 23 year old Belgian man who was sent to America by a shaman in his country. He has not lacked for a place to be or for company ever since he landed in New Mexico. After being in Phoenix, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque, he landed in TeePee Town and is now working for another TeePee Town local. He has been tagged as the hottest man in Chaffee County this summer by the local ladies.

IMG_1027.jpg

Patricia is another interesting person. She speaks Dutch, which is Toon's native language, so they have a great connection. Patricia travels extensively to conduct water purity and clean-up studies and solutions. She is here working on the reservoirs and Arkansas headwaters.

We HAD to do a river trip! The four of us had a great time on this sunny warm day starting with breakfast cooked by Toon. I had to do the dishes to earn my keep for the last two days. The day included a run down the river and dinner in Salida, the Cambo campfire, and a sleep in a cabin with crackling wood stove fire and a feather bed. As I sat by the fire in Cambo I realized I had not combed my hair in three days, nor brushed my teeth in two. I asked if I was becoming more like a real river person. I was told that the teeth brushing ruined it. I made a come-back when I confessed it was not my toothbrush.

Patricia has a thing about the confluence of waters, so she had to sit in the meeting of Chalk Creek and the Arkansas.

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

If two fingers means Peace, do three fingers mean World Peace?

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

There are several more of us lost balls amongst the high weeds of Texas. Few of us find the way out. I know not why that is, but my guess is too many of us worry about what the high weeds might think.

... My time is up soon.

That is a depressing thought.

While in TeePee Town, Joe and I met Toon (pronounced tone) and Patricia. We all hung out until late by the fire Toon keeps well supplied.

Toon is a very interesting 23 year old Belgian man who was sent to America by a shaman in his country. He has not lacked for a place to be or for company ever since he landed in New Mexico. After being in Phoenix, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque, he landed in TeePee Town and is now working for another TeePee Town local. He has been tagged as the hottest man in Chaffee County this summer by the local ladies.....

Sounds kind of pimpish to me.

... Patricia is another interesting person. She speaks Dutch, which is Toon's native language, so they have a great connection. Patricia travels extensively to conduct water purity and clean-up studies and solutions. She is here working on the reservoirs and Arkansas headwaters. ...

Patricia has a thing about the confluence of waters, so she had to sit in the meeting of Chalk Creek and the Arkansas. ...

Hmmm? Wouldn't working mean someone is paying her motel bill? Hmmmm? Is she a starving grad student, maybe? We already know the Arkansas is polluted, as is every other trickle within 100 miles. I'm curious as to what solutions and clean-ups she is studying.

... We HAD to do a river trip! The four of us had a great time on this sunny warm day starting with breakfast cooked by Toon. I had to do the dishes to earn my keep for the last two days. The day included a run down the river and dinner in Salida, the Cambo campfire, and a sleep in a cabin with crackling wood stove fire and a feather bed. As I sat by the fire in Cambo I realized I had not combed my hair in three days, nor brushed my teeth in two. I asked if I was becoming more like a real river person. I was told that the teeth brushing ruined it. I made a come-back when I confessed it was not my toothbrush. ...

I don't think I could be a river person. I carry a comb and a toothbrush everywhere I go (bad hair life and can't stand morning mouth). Just out of curiousity, who many days do river people go on a pair of underwear? (Definately a trick question. :rofl: )[/QUOTE]

... If two fingers means Peace, do three fingers mean World Peace?

No, I think it means "Read Between the Lines."

Hmmm? Wouldn't working mean someone is paying her motel bill? Hmmmm? Is she a starving grad student, maybe? We already know the Arkansas is polluted, as is every other trickle within 100 miles. I'm curious as to what solutions and clean-ups she is studying.

None of the above. She is a highly respected and well paid professional in her field.

Just out of curiousity, who many days do river people go on a pair of underwear? (Definately a trick question. :rofl: )

All summer if they leave them in the dry bag.

No, I think it means "Read Between the Lines."

Good one, Ken.

None of the above. She is a highly respected and well paid professional in her field. ....

Cool! Another lost ball.

... All summer if they leave them in the dry bag...

For those who don't already know, never wear undies on the river. Very uncomfortable. People that spend a lot of time on nthe river usually wear some high-dollar river clothes that dry quickly. Better to be thin and dry quickly than thick and wet.

... Good one, Ken.

It could be a Russian military bird. The commies always had three times as much as the Americans, and still were only half as effective.
Well, you asked. :shrug:

Toon is a very interesting 23 year old Belgian man who was sent to America by a shaman in his country. He has not lacked for a place to be or for company ever since he landed in New Mexico. After being in Phoenix, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque, he landed in TeePee Town and is now working for another TeePee Town local. He has been tagged as the hottest man in Chaffee County this summer by the local ladies.
Umm.... Teddy seems kinda hot. :mrgreen:

(there are shamans in Belgium???)

Back