• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

Day 9

Next morning we went back down to the cafe for breakfast. There was a tour bus parked outside and a long line, but since we wanted a hot breakfast and not just a pastry, they took our order and we went in the back to grab a table. I was amazed to find such a great place to eat in such a remote place. The pastries looked awesome, and I can tell you that the hot breakfast was as well. I especially liked the HUGE piece of sour dough toast. :eat:

344461392_nZUZT-M.jpg
344462095_Himpo-M.jpg

Well fed we headed off to the Canadian border and the Top-of-the-World Highway. It was wet this morning, and the rain made the dirt road muddy and slick. It wasn't too bad in most places, but every so often there was a patch of deeper mud and I'd feel the bike getting loose. I kept it steady and used the throttle and didn't have too many problems, though some spots it got looser than others. Today I was riding sweep with Bill and Moose at the front, and Graeme third. Graeme and I ride at about the the same pace, which is slower than Moose and Bill, who also ride about the same pace but much faster. Today, however, I was a slower than Graeme so I gradually fell behind. When he couldn't raise me on the radio, Graeme would slow down or stop until we could communicate and then he'd start going again. It was nice knowing he was keeping tabs on me in case anything happened.

344463001_JojCE-M.jpg

The further along we went, the worse the weather got. It was cold and wet and foggy. I'd heard that this was going to be one of the most scenic roads of the trip, but not this day.

344463262_8E2UC-M.jpg

Actually, I think this picture is about the best view we got all day...

344463535_eujY3-M.jpg

A few miles before reaching the border we came across a little roadhouse and decided a hot cup of coffee was in order. As we were pulling in, Graeme got sideways crossing the muddy ditch into the driveway and nearly lost it, but he managed to keep the bike upright.

344464360_LnE7P-M.jpg

The place was pretty neat, with a warm wood-burning stove for heat. The family dog had his spot and we stood around the stove to warm up.

344466995_G37Ap-M.jpg

344465674_d7Aea-M.jpg

344466303_nAshD-M.jpg

There was also an old shell of a truck outside with caribou, moose, and elk antlers piled around it.

344467636_oem7q-M.jpg

After coffee we rode on to the border a few miles up the road. We sat on the bikes in the cold drizzle while the border guards checked our passports. I guess they had mercy on us being on bikes in such bad weather, and ushered us through with no fuss.

The road climbs up higher into the mountains and it got colder and foggier, and started to sleet. We passed a few snow banks along the side of the road, and could see that we were riding on a shelf. It is probably just as well we couldn't see anything, because I'm told there are some very steep drop-offs and it's a long way down. At any rate, this was my view for most of the rest of the ride down to the Yukon River, and it's one of my favorite photos from this trip...

344467924_cN8ry-M.jpg

That's pretty much what it looked like from inside my helmet. :giveup:

After a while we were back on pavement and making a steep descent into the Yukon River valley, eventually arriving at the ferry crossing.

344468260_Gtpwt-M.jpg

We waited a few minutes and watched the ferry captain do an amazing job of maneuvering the vessel in the swift current to a smooth docking with the gravel loading ramp. We boarded the ferry and headed across the river to Dawson.

344468843_qVd92-M.jpg

344469840_jee6z-M.jpg

I was next to Graeme and had to laugh as he removed his gloves and proceeded to wring about two pints of water out of each one. We were very wet...

344469159_uLeMc-M.jpg

...and hungry. Arriving in Dawson, we quickly parked and walked down the main drag to the first place that looked like it had good food...

344470163_kgwCr-M.jpg

344470972_jn9qM-M.jpg

344471362_hNwsS-M.jpg

We occupied two tables in the restaurant, one for our wet, steaming gear, and one for our wet, steaming bodies. As we sat down to eat, we realized that we were all exhausted. It had taken 7 hours to ride the 109 miles from Chicken to Dawson. We decided that it was time to find a hotel and a laundry and call it a day.

After lunch, we headed to the town visitor center where they had some neat artwork on display, and asked them to help us locate rooms for the night. They found pretty good deal for us and called the hotel to have them hold a couple of rooms.

344471926_YpqSm-M.jpg
344472994_PovKX-M.jpg

Dawson was a neat old mining town with dirt streets and lots of old buildings. It feels like stepping right back into the gold rush days.

344475800_ZsJs7-M.jpg

344476540_zEZc5-M.jpg

We did laundry, dried out our gear, and turned in early for a good night's sleep.

344473582_KFdHk-M.jpg

Mileage for day 9: 109
Total bike mileage to date: 3,323

Great report guys! awesome pics.....

Anyone notice anything unusual about this pic??

Day 10

The next morning dawned bright and clear, promising sunny skies for a change. We loaded the bikes and headed back over to the main drag for breakfast, followed by some shopping.

349085025_c87YA-M.jpg

349085918_wi9ez-M.jpg

Since Dawson is still an active mining town, there are jewelry shops everywhere, most selling nugget jewelry in every form imaginable. We went into four or five shops, and I found a nice pair of earrings for my wife in this shop. The owner old us that there are still around 25 active placer mining operations in the area, and that her family owned a mine. She gets some of the gold from her family's mine and makes jewelry.

349088149_jP4Cv-M.jpg

We poked around town for a while longer then hit the road...

349086965_3NcSd-M.jpg

On the way out of town, Bill got on the radio and asked me to hit my brakes a couple of times. Nothing happened so we pulled over to check it out. The brake light was stuck on. We fiddled around and figured out it was the rear brakes. Some WD40 loosened up the stuck contact at the pedal, but I had a worse problem. We looked at the rear brakes and there were NO pads left. To top it off, the calipers appeared to be stuck closed. Though it wasn't rubbing too bad, there was already some pretty bad grooves worn in the rotor. We discussed it and determined that it would probably be OK to ride, but that I pretty much had no rear brakes and should avoid using them unless it was an emergency.

I had purchased an extra set of pads before the trip, but decided I didn't need to bring them since I had a brake job done a week before we left. Looking back, I probably could have saved the rotor if I had been able to replace the pads during the trip, but as it was, I had to ride the remaining 2,500 miles with no rear brakes and the pads, or metal plates as it were, rubbing deep nasty grooves in the rotor. It was completely shot when we got home.

But I digress...we continued on, enjoying a nice sunny day of riding. While we were in Chicken, we had briefly considered riding the Dempster Highway up to the Circle again on the Canadian side, but there was no consensus in the group so we all decided to stick to the original plan. It was a good thing, too, because this very morning we heard from some folks that the Dempster was closed. I forget exactly where, but the road was washed out from all of the rain and it would be 3 - 4 days before it was open again. If we had gone, we probably would have been stuck.

We continued southeast on Highway 2 toward Carmacks.

349088719_Vbdad-M.jpg

After a while Bill got on the radio again and said that his bike was running hotter than usual. He said he could keep going and would keep an eye on it. We stopped at a place called Moose Creek for a break and to let Bill clean his radiator out. Since his accident in Arkansas last year, the back half of his front fender is missing. With all the rain and mud, the radiator was just getting clogged with muck that normally would have been diverted by the fender. When there is no hose available, Bill does have an innovative way to clean a radiator...:lol2:

349090157_ERggQ-M.jpg

We had elevenses at Moose Creek, and took advantage of the place's "Moosiness" to take some photos...

349102452_BNfxf-M.jpg

349092608_uoVNn-M.jpg

349097026_BXmKU-M.jpg

While stopped, we noticed that there was an unusual wear pattern on Graeme's chain.

349103647_KqJoR-M.jpg

After close inspection, we couldn't figure out where it was rubbing, so Graeme decided to have a look at the front sprocket. This involves removing the clutch slave cylinder.

349104731_WVcsx-M.jpg

This decision would come back to haunt him a few days later, but for now, we couldn't find anything wrong and put everything back together and continued on enjoying more of the wild and beautiful Yukon scenery...

349106860_RgQaV-M.jpg

At Carmacks, we turned east onto the Campbell Highway and headed toward Faro and Ross River. From hear to Watson Lake we would travel through the most remote wilderness areas of the trip. I was rather excited about experiencing some of what I'd read about in Jack London novels as a kid.

349107738_CPur7-M.jpg

349111571_mGnVs-M.jpg

349110206_32Rk6-M.jpg

The first part of the road was well-maintained chip seal, but at some point past Faro we were back on the dirt...

349112181_arJFa-M.jpg

We planned to camp and fuel up in Ross River, and shortly before arriving there, we came upon this little bridge over the Lapie River.

349113537_Ysprm-M.jpg

It didn't look like anything special until you were on it and looking down into a deep gorge!

349122468_WZkiq-L.jpg

We stopped the bikes and took some time to admire the beauty of the area and take some photos.

349121037_5tPcx-L.jpg

349117874_PKu3M-M.jpg

349123911_wkVdq-M.jpg

349116401_yHtqL-L.jpg

349125242_QeUJS-M.jpg

We got back on the bikes and headed on into Ross River. We rode around town a couple of times, but all we found was a run down motel with a broken gas pump out front, and what looked like a general store with newer gas pumps, but it was closed. There was no sign of a campground anywhere. We stopped at the general store to try and figure out what to do, and while we were there, a local came by in his pickup and told us there was self-pay gas station not far away and said he would lead us there. It was a really interesting station. Basically everything including the pumps, lighting, and payment terminal were contained in a single tank. You could get both gas and diesel. A truck could haul this thing in and set it down, hook up the power, and voilà - instant gas station.

349127564_8BmMD-M.jpg
349126182_8uxU4-M.jpg

It was getting late, and we remembered a sign for a campground back by the Lapie River bridge, so we rode the 12 kilometers back to the turn-off. It turned out to be a very nice campground on the upstream end of the gorge. We set up camp and made dinner, during which time we had a visitor. He turned out to be quite a noisy fellow, but settled down after a while.

349134619_owAyQ-M.jpg

349128905_6Pvjn-M.jpg

349130251_TAybf-M.jpg

349131659_zEWqY-M.jpg

After dinner I took a walk down by the river and took a few more photos. It was a nice evening, but I cut it short once I started getting eaten alive by the mosquitos. They really are quite vicious in the Yukon.

349132670_g3MPm-L.jpg
349133583_vqmF3-L.jpg

Mileage for Day 10: 378
Total Bike Mileage to date: 3,701

Last edited:
Great job Bryan!!!
It just gets better all the time.

BTW Was Al's bike the only one without an issue?

Great job Bryan!!!

Thanks, Don! Far from it, Al had some problems as well. I believe for him it was a little electrical problem that he had to keep an eye on from about day 3 or 4. He also blew both fork seals, but the first one didn't let go until day 11 or 12. I don't think it matters what bike you're riding, a trip like this is going to take its toll. You just can't ride this many miles in these conditions without something happening. Glad you're enjoying the story.

Great job Bryan!!!

I felt the old R100GS held up really really well

I'd done a lot of work to it - on know weak spots, such as the drive shaft and charging system, before departure - but face it - it's still a 12 year old bike

I expected the fork seals to let go at some time - I also thought that the rear shock would be toast by the time we got back (wasn't)

The electrical problem amounted to the charging light coming on when the electrical harness, at the headstock, got jiggled - very annoying to see a red light but, with the upgraded charging system, that's all it was

I also when thru more oil then I thought I would - probably due to the rough conditions causing extra misting - but I still have to do a leak down test to be sure. Parts are here so over the next few weeks I'll endevour to make it road worthy again

Mine really wasn't the bikes fault. Had I replaced the fender long ago, it would have never ran hot. It was just me being cheap.

I did run through my set of rear brake pads as well, but thankfully I noticed them before I actually got to the metal back plates so the rotor was fine. I did notice that my countershaft seal was leaking when I got back home, but then again this is on a bike with over 55k miles and it usually considered a normal wear item by this time.

Overall, I think every one of the bikes preformed exceptionally well, and did everything they were asked to do and them some. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to do a trip like that on any of those bikes. Moose's would be my favorite just because it's older and you don't see many of them around. There is just something about old iron that is fun. It's got soul.

When I asked about bike issues, it wasn't intended to be a slight of any one motorcycle. The fact that all four got home with no lost days waiting for parts during the trip is very commendable.
I have just always liked the looks of the R100GS.
(There is currently an R100GS PD on eBay):trust:

When I asked about bike issues, it wasn't intended to be a slight of any one motorcycle. The fact that all four got home with no lost days waiting for parts during the trip is very commendable.

I realize my post could have been construed that way as well, but it wasn't meant as a slight either. I was just pointing out that everyone of us had little problems and issues to deal with - each one adding to the sense of adventure. :mrgreen: A trip like this is hard on any machine.

Gentlemen (yes, that's you guys), I have enjoyed this report immensely. Thanks for sharing it with us.

So'k - Didn't take it that way

For a second, I was getting worried about Bill's solution to rinse of the radiator and the upcoming picture, a la "We Were Soldiers" cooling off the mortars. :lol2:

You're report continues to be inspiring.

Man, this thread is in danger of becoming a cobweb! :duck: I'm working on another post - should be up shortly.

I saw the new post and saw your screen name. I just knew the saga was on again.......................
bugfv2kq5.gif

Last edited:
Day 11

I slept like a rock that night. We were in the Yukon, the weather had been great the day before, and I was finally feeling relaxed and into the rhythm of the trip. Today was one of the days I was looking forward to the most. We were about to embark into the most remote wilderness area of the entire trip and I was kind of excited about it. We had breakfast, loaded up the bikes and hit the road.

355285755_gwAjQ-M.jpg

355287002_3k77U-M.jpg

355287521_G6frg-M.jpg

Again, we had Bill and Al up front since they are faster riders and we didn't want to hold them up. Graeme rode third and I rode sweep. It had been dry for a couple of days so it was very dusty. We were still on the Campbell Highway, and would be on gravel until Watson Lake, some 230 miles away. Oh, and there are no gas stations along this section, so we would need our extra fuel. Basically, imagine riding from Dallas to Houston on a gravel road with no services of any kind, and you get the idea. :mrgreen:

355296265_nDrb8-M.jpg

I quickly realized that the dust was going to be an issue, so I let Graeme get about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in front. There was almost no wind, so the dust just hung in the air. Before we got too separated we agreed to stop every 25 miles to make sure we were all OK, and we'd take a longer break every 50 miles. The road wasn't too bad, but it wasn't as well maintained as the Dalton Highway had been. There was more washboard and more potholes and ruts. But after the mud-fest on the Top-of-the-World highway, I was feeling much more confident and my dirt technique was getting much better. I found myself cruising along at 60 - 65 mph comfortably. Even then, the rest of the boys were just leaving me behind.

We saw very little traffic today. In the morning we saw two bikes going the other way, but nothing else. It wasn't until we stopped that we saw others. These guys were from Detroit, or Iowa, or somewhere like that I think.

355292472_LkJdz-M.jpg

Another R100 GS airhead - got to love that old iron. :mrgreen:

355291317_ApCVE-M.jpg

Talk about a long lonely road - it was just amazing to me how far we were from anything.

355288585_hHuU9-M.jpg

355294203_nTXSA-M.jpg

355295328_hMgdZ-M.jpg

At one point, my left mirror vibrated loose and flopped against my wrist. It was annoying, so I stopped and dug out my tools and tightened it back up. Took only five minutes, and that put Graeme and me a ways behind Bill and Al, but we caught up at the next scheduled stop. We just kept on riding, making miles and enjoying the nice warm day and the solitude of the place. Even the dust didn't bother me. I was feeling great and having a blast - I was very happy. :mrgreen:

355305517_x4kPA-M.jpg

355295794_TYgTA-M.jpg

I think we saw maybe two more bikes going the other way, but not another soul until we stopped to refuel about 150 miles in. It seemed like the only time we ever saw any other people was when we stopped - they would just come out of the woodwork then. We decided that we would all empty our extra fuel into our tanks at 150 miles. We also took this opportunity to have a snack.

355300576_t6dBH-M.jpg

355301672_CZ4vR-M.jpg

355299385_viTkz-M.jpg

355302963_ZNSEs-M.jpg

While we were fueling up, a lady in a minivan stopped and asked if everything was OK. We told her we were just taking a break, and she asked us if she could take our photo. Turns out that she worked for the Milepost - the bible for traveling in the north country. She was traveling to do her write-up for the Campbell Highway for the next edition, and said that she would put our photo in it. How cool is that! I mean, the editors may have something to say about that, but it's cool nonetheless.

355298174_kp7Vt-M.jpg

Before long we were getting close to civilization again and ran into some road construction north of Watson Lake.

355305068_3kGvg-M.jpg

There was some really deep soft dirt in places, and we all had to duck walk our way through some spots. I think we all got sideways a few times, but no one went down.

We fueled up and ate sandwiches from the gas station in Watson Lake, then headed south down the Cassier-Stewart Highway. It got cloudy and eventually started to rain. We had originally planned to go to Dease Lake some 160 miles south, but we were pretty tired.

355306205_QF9o7-M.jpg

At the Dease River Crossing we saw a campground with some cabins, so we decided to stop. The cabin was nice, it had no electricity or running water, but it did have a gas stove, gas lights, and a big water jug that fed into a sink. It was complete with dishes, and dining table, and two sets of bunks. There was a restroom and shower up near the office. The shower was a one valve affair - you just got whatever temperature you got. It was semi-warm, and it was nice to wash off the grime from the last two days.

355308045_jcuyK-M.jpg

355306995_MEHVr-M.jpg

Mileage for Day 11: 345
Total bike mileage to date: 4,046

Dease Lake

The mozzies were so big that they offered orange juice and donuts in the morning after a night of donations

Should have been run by the red cross

Good thing for sparky and I that Graeme and Bill threw themselves in front of the 'skito's to save us - bet they were down 5lb overnight tho;-)

Dease Lake

The mozzies were so big that they offered orange juice and donuts in the morning after a night of donations

Should have been run by the red cross

Good thing for sparky and I that Graeme and Bill threw themselves in front of the 'skito's to save us - bet they were down 5lb overnight tho;-)

Oh dear lord, the memories!!!! Those fricken things were everywhere that night. Beautiful cabin, awesome views, but more mozzies than Paris Hilton has paparazzi.

Oh dear lord, the memories!!!! Those fricken things were everywhere that night. Beautiful cabin, awesome views, but more mozzies than Paris Hilton has paparazzi.

Our first clue should have been the mosquito coils inside the cabin. As for Moose and I, we enjoyed a nice snooze that night in the back room with hardly a buzz. Must have been the bait we left out front.
:rofl: :rofl:

The Mozzies :duck: That buzzing sound still haunts me when I think about it.

I use a white cotton liner for my sleeping bag (more about that later) and even pulling it up over my head to only leave the tiniest of breath holes was completely ineffective. During the numerous waken moments that night I even considered getting out of bed and going to my bike and getting my mozzie netted cap to wear in bed. The only reprieve I got all night was, every so often the swarm would leave me to attack Bill. This was a false hope situation as after a quick feed of Texan blood they again swarmed me for a dessert of Scotch blood.

In the morning when I was packing up I noticed that the white cotton liner looking like it was used in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre It was absolutely covered in MY blood

To add insult to injury when Bill and I mentioned the mozzies both Brian and Moose replied “What mozzies” :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Back