• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flying Motorcycle Trip to the Blue Ridge

:lol2: That's great! Those flyers are really clever. :thumb:
Well, to be fair, this co-piloting technique is used by many pillions. I recall using a similar method myself (taping a map with duct tape to the shirt back of the rider in front of me) when I rode pillion on a HD through Hill Country. Several others on ADV use the plastic window map holder on the back of jackets, too. I think I remember seeing a photo of that in an older Touratech catalog on a two-up Beemer in the desert sands of Africa.

In tracking mode on SPOT you won't send anything to Jason Jonas site. Jason Jonas site only works when you send a manual OK.

In tracking mode you would have to have a different link posted that goes to the SPOT website.

That is what I found out, but because of my lack of intenet it was two days before it showed itself. I did look over on the Spot message site and the continuous tracking did link there but only partially. It would show a track for say an hour and the stop for 30 or 40 min and restart. I can only think I must have had the signal blocked part of the time.

That is what I found out, but because of my lack of intenet it was two days before it showed itself. I did look over on the Spot message site and the continuous tracking did link there but only partially. It would show a track for say an hour and the stop for 30 or 40 min and restart. I can only think I must have had the signal blocked part of the time.

You are correct, the ones that are missing didn't reach the satellite.

Maybe it is just hung there in 'route up' mode instead of 'north up'? :lol2:

Your right Ed Arlene is usually a North up navigator but she said it was something to do with how she ripped it off to look at the map.

And tobe fair the map idea Im sure has been used before, because the map pouch is made by Touratech and designed to do hang on the riders back but we had just forgotten. But that's what happens when your old you get to discover new things over and over.

We are off to Eurika Springs.

Your right Ed Arlene is usually a North up navigator but she said it was something to do with how she ripped it off to look at the map.

And tobe fair the map idea Im sure has been used before, because the map pouch is made by Touratech and designed to do hang on the riders back but we had just forgotten. But that's what happens when your old you get to discover new things over and over.

We are off to Eurika Springs.

Hopefully, you have been scouting dual sport routes along the way!

Wow... I was only joking. That is funny. Looks like a good trip even with the dampness.

Arlene finally found a way to keep the map where she could see it without having to dig it out of her jacket. She velcroed it to mine.

:tab Ingenious!!! :thumb:

:tab BTW It's not upside down. It's Eastside up!!!!

:tab Either way it doesn't matter. When riding in Arkansas, you are never lost.
:tab You are just out riding........:rider:

:tab Glad you two are having such a good time....

Mikeal, you and Arlene are Kim's and my personal heroes.:clap:

Last edited:
Well it looks like I finally got the Spot working so now you will be able to follow for at least the last day of riding. This was a special day as it is Arlene and my 41st wedding anniversary. You know you married the right girl when you ask her what she wants to do on her anniversary and she says let's take a motorcycle trip. Anyway we leave the lodge at Mt. Magazine and head for Eureka Springs.

Trip41-Day4001.jpg

Trip41-Day4003.jpg

Along the way we had to stop at this favorite biker hang out on hwy 23 that I'm sure some of you will remember.

Trip41-Day4007.jpg

We made it to Eureka Springs an started looking for a Hotel. But while prowling the streets we saw this old 1000 Honda Goldwing

Trip41-Day4010.jpg

Trip41-Day4011.jpg

Trip41-Day4012.jpg

Arlene checked into an old vintage hotel called the New Orleans, circa 1890.

Trip41-Day4019.jpg

Trip41-Day4020.jpg

Complete with real gas lights aroung the outside.

Trip41-Day4017.jpg

We will head out early tomorrow and hope to be back home about 3 or 4pm.
Wish I could have been at Rosa's tonight. Taco Tuesday is one of my favorites.

Wow! Congrats to both of you on 41 years of being married to the right one!

After 41 years, it is bound to be right!! Congratulations!!

Have a safe trip home today.....

Last day and you hate for it to start because you know that it will soon be over. We left the Hotel early and had a great ride back to Springfield only about 2 hours away. It started out foggy but the special effects from the fog were great.
TWT081208039.jpg

TWT081208041.jpg

TWT081208043.jpg

TWT081208045.jpg

We made it to the airport about an hour sooner than we expected and after checking the weather we were glad we did because we had a little patch of stromy weather moving in. Looking at the weather map on the GPS you can see the line of storms to our northwest.
TWT081208025.jpg

We were able to climb high to get in the smooth and cool air. Trip home was at 8500 ft, you can see the altimeter on the top row second from the right.

TWT081208028.jpg

We ran into a few scattered clouds over the major rivers. When your flying Visual Flight Rules you are required to stay at least 500ft from the clouds so it's rather like ridding the twisties on a bike. You kinda slalom from right to left in a ballet like movement.
TWT081208037.jpg

Back home now and time to go back to work so we can go ridding again soon.

"we had a little patch of stromy weather moving in"

Danged old Suzuki weather systems! ;-)

Welcome back from a great trip.

Freudian slip! :lol2:

A repressed internal feeling - resistance is futile...

Great report M & A! :clap:

Welcome back from a great trip.

Freudian slip! :lol2:

A repressed internal feeling - resistance is futile...:borg:

Great report M & A! :clap:

:tab My thought the moment I read it as well.......... :mrgreen:

:tab Very glad that you both made it home safely. :thumb:

Back