• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run Ride Report - Bluebonnet Cafe August 2008

here are a few more
2815860795_c5865f6fa8_b.jpg

Rusty (WoodButcher) on his Transalp leading the way somewhere off of Cow Creek Road.
2816759952_95d6288790_b.jpg

Casey (gotdurt), Hardey Baker, Duc rider (forgot your name, let us know who you are) and Justin (je2000) at the Cow Creek crossing.

Meeting up in Navasota
p1010345mq1.jpg

Spank made another ride 2 a Pie Run but was 2 shy 2 come in
p8300346jg6.jpg

Me, Squeaky & Shootergal
p8300351sl9.jpg

Waiting in Lagrange
p1010349bj0.jpg

We arrived an hour late to find a lot of people & bikes there. Chuck was gracious enough to make us some cool name tags. Great job Chuck. :thumb:

Hanging out in the parking lot
p8300353ge4.jpg

Squeaky took Cherioer nice Triple for a spin
p8300352zj8.jpg

Then she shares her tale of the many different bikes she's sweet talked her way on
p1010354mx5.jpg

Thanks to Maverick, Euromedic & Squeaky for taking the lead.:clap: Although I have a GPS, I don't have the confidence or know how to come up with a route on the fly. So when that's GPS class going to be Squeaky???

We passed Jo's accident site on our way back not knowing that a fellow rider was involved. It wasn't until we stopped in Lagrange & Squeaky checked her messages that we learned what happen. Although we hadn't met her, Jo was in our prayers, hearts and definitely on our minds as we made the trek home.

After watching the number of Pie Run attendees rise close to 100 (and then quite a bit over), I was planning to get there early to meet folks and pass out souvenir nametags. :sun:

Of course, I hadn't expected folks to be there at 9:30 AM! :eek2: :lol2:

Anyway, I posted a ride from DFW with an early time, expecting folks to pass and leave a bit later. :shrug:

Turns out that 7 people showed up at the infamous Minyards at 6:15. Let's call them the "Minyard 7", kinda like the "Chicago 7" and "Texas 7"... :-P

minyard8_5465q.jpg

That's Justin (works with Bill), Bill (DFW_Warrior), David (Treffin), Soozy (Soozy), Curtis (bridge_guy), Lee (wildebube), Dave (KLR Dave)

Bikes: Kawaski 550, Zuk V-Strom, Triumph Daytona, Zuk Burgman, Zuk Bandit, BMW F650 Dakar, Kawasaki KLR650

We had word that 2 more were on the way, so the group expanded into the "Minyard 9", "Minyard 10" if you include me.

minyard9_5466q.jpg

Added (right foreground) - Dan (DFW Dano) and Kelly (Skull of Energy)
Bikes are Honda ST1300 and Honda 750 Nighthawk, oh, and my Zuk Wii-Strom

We got away from SW Arlington a bit before 7 and headed out on the route I had posted. They told me "You posted this - you're leading". :roll:

We had a minor mechanical issue on 917. I heard this funny noise to my right side after making a curve and it was Dave's KLR horn (or reasonable facsimile thereof). He motioned over his shoulder to another rider and empty space. Just as I got turned around, the rest of the group started showing up. (I'll see if anyone wants to fess up to what the problem was) ;-)

We wound down thru Glen Rose toward Gatesville and enjoyed cool air and minimal traffic. It was cool to see all the headlights strung out behind in the side mirrors.

A quick stop in Cranfill's Gap at the halfway point:
cranfills_gap_5467q.jpg

Justin and his Kawasaki 550:
justin_5468q.jpg

David and his Triumph
david_5469q.jpg

We stopped for a quick courthouse picture in Gatesville (hey, I warned them! :-P ) and Lee requested a pit stop. We found a station at our turnoff from 84 onto 116 and found another group of local riders there.

I think I have seen this trike before (just can't remember where)
trike_gatesville_5472q.jpg

trike_gatesville_5473q.jpg

This is where Dave and Lee suspected that Lee's rear tire was low. My compact pump failed to do any good, so we used the station's air to get him up to pressure.

We made another quick stop in Lampasas just before 11:00. I knew we were running behind schedule before, now it was confirmed. We saw a familar GoldWing go past and Paul ($hooter) waited for us just around the 90 degree corner that 281 makes.

So, we hightailed down 281 to Marble Falls, pulling into a parking lot full of bikes and a few riders wandering around. New faces and familiar ones, too.

It was just a few minutes after we got there that the Houston-Huntsville group rolled in. With them and the others in the lot, I started trying to get nametags passed out. Soozy graciously offered to help and she probably got more to folks than I did. :thumb:

I talked with several small groups that had already eaten and were leaving to let others in. I had met Zed, Zach, and Wendy in Ingleside but got to meet Zed's wife Stephanie this trip. There were two CMA groups - one from the DFW area of 5, skippered by Marty (voyagerrider) and another from Corpus of 8, piloted by Andy (andyc740). There were others that I had met on previous Pie Runs and others that I got to meet for the first time.

But I missed a bunch. Folks would say "oh, they're here". I was able to see Ed (edmart001), Lidia, and Anthony (macktruckturner) on their way out - somewhat quickly due to hurricane concerns. I missed picking up Anthony's tab - that is one I owe ya, Sarge. Maybe in Blessing, perhaps? :-(

I finally sat down with Soozy and David (FJR Bandit) and had lunch and pecan pie. :eat: We got visited by Peter (euromedic) and Scott (M38A1). Both Scott and I had not met Peter. Scott was hawking his latest project and many folks participated. :thumb:

The BBC (Bluebonnet Cafe) was busy but I thought they did a great job with our monster group. I got to meet the guy whom I was in contact with, David Plante. :sun:

Now, I did notice folks from our DFW group leaving as we were headed back to the parking lot - they kinda figured I would be late - again. :yawn:

Soozy and I were joined by James (Jbay) who said he would go with us to Valley Mills which was close to home. Lee and Dave were still concerned about the tire, which was low again. They decided to take the most direct route home with the most chances for more air.

James, Soozy, and I headed out along the same path toward Gatesville and I missed a turn on FM580 and ended up having to backtrack. :doh: James took the lead to show us a good back way to Gatesville and we made a stop at the same gas station that we used on the way down. James' route was great! :thumb:

Next was FM215 and FM217 from Gatesville to Valley Mills. I think I liked the smooth sweepers and minimal traffic on these roads the best of the trip.

Soozy and I parted company with James after a short stretch of FM56 and found some sections of wet road for the next few miles. It never rained on us but it looked a little dark to the north.

We stopped in Blum around 5:00 for me to call the wife and tell her that I wouldn't be home in time to make it to the Denton area by 6:00, so to go on ahead. :doh: Soozy and I both continued up SH174 where we both got phone calls north of Cleburne/Joshua. We made a stop and my call was from Dave saying that Lee's tire had blown near Glen Rose. My only suggestion was to call the two Bills (DFW Warrior and Graubart - both of which had been on the Pie Run) and see if they could help. As it turns out, that situation ended up OK.

Soozy peeled off onto I20 and I suffered I35W up to Denton and over to Crossroads where my son and DIL live. I was late again! :doh:

I did check the forum when I got there and call Lee since I didn't know what was going on with the tire yet. That is when I learned of Jo's accident. As Bill has said, that really put a damper on things. There are more updates from Mic in the prayer section - God speed to both of them.

In getting ready for this loooong mini-report, I came to the realization that I was so flustered and embarrassed about getting to Marble Falls so late, that I never broke out the camera and took any pictures! :loco:

So, thanks to everyone who took and posted pictures! :clap:

So, I still hope to do nametags in Blessing. I promise to do better then! :giveup:
Besides, I have half the nametags made already. :doh:

One more note - after a flurry of PMs with M38A1 Scott yesterday, we will be starting another hush-hush project, so stay tuned...

*whew* I think we need a younger "Pie Man" - I guess I see where the "in training" comes from... :roll:

Last edited:
My contribution:

Bright and early off duty at work, myself and the bike were ready to roll.

DSC00601.jpg

I slabbed it to I 10 and SH 99, where I met Saul (Sharpshooter) at the Katy Memroial Hermann Hospital parking lot. That is him pulling in....

DSC00602.jpg

Unfortunately, the rear tire had decided to pick up a sharp object. Tom (Skup) also joined us. We helped Saul with an attempt to plug it.

DSC00603.jpg

We debated whether to ride on the plug towards La Grange, or for Saul to return home. He decided to give it a chance. :rider: Before we pulled out, we noted a hotair balloon on landing approach not too far from the hospital.

DSC00604.jpg

Regardless, the plug did not hold the air, and Saul had his wife pick him and the bike up west of Sealy. He insisted we continue despite our offer to stay with him. Glad you made it home ok Saul, we'll have better luck next time. Tom and I met the Huntsville/Conroe/Cypress/Navasota crew in La Grange.

DSC00605.jpg

Snack ;-) (ok, maybe not :eek2: )

DSC00606.jpg

Arrived in Marble Falls, to a motorcycle-packed parking lot. What a sight to behold :clap:

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

Mingled outside for a bit, chatted with a few folks before heading indoors. It was also packed, but the host/wait staff did wonders in seating people and completing orders. Fantastic!

DSC00609.jpg

I sat with Tom and Cindy, had our lunch and got to know each other a bit. Privileged to have spent time with you both that day.

DSC00610.jpg

No photos thereafter, too busy riding :rider: Passed up the unfortunate incident on 1431, prayers to Jo and her boyfriend, as well as respective family/friends. My GPS decided to not power up :doh: , because the power cable had dislodged from the fuse box (as i found out today). While I had directions printed, I am much better at reading a map whil riding than to read directions. I am open for suggestions regarding leading (twas my first time doing so). We took a break in Taylor, before we headed to our respective homes. 418 miles of riding therapy, had a good time. See you at the next pie run :eat: .

I just made it back to Flower Mound, TX, with a weekend total of 779miles on the Triumph. Meeting you guys was a blast and I can't wait to do it again soon.

On a more somber note: I was very sorry to hear about Jo. It's never easy when a rider goes down and Jo you are in our prayers 100%.

Thanks all,

David

Loved the pix. The Great Pumpkin and my Saulie! I'm printing that one out and hanging it up in my office!

Euromedic --- Forgot to say thank you to you and your pal for sticking with Saul until he made arrangements for pickup. Know that you always have us watching your back! :clap:

Okay, finally got around to uploading the few photos I took...

Justin not looking like a beginner
DSC_6732.jpg

A chat stop on Cow Creek Road
DSC_6735.jpg

As if you haven't seen this picture enough
DSC_6743.jpg

Did Skup use a "plug" or one of those tacky strips? I have had the rubber plugs fail before. I have NEVER had a tacky strip fail to hold and unfortunately, I have used a LOT of them :doh: The upside is that everything you need to use the tacky strips can be had at almost ANY gas station/convenience/automotive store for less than $20. I just wish the KLR had tubeless tires so I could use them instead of having to patch a tube, which takes wayyy longer!

Regardless, the plug did not hold the air, and Saul had his wife pick him and the bike up west of Sealy. He insisted we continue despite our offer to stay with him.

Thanks for the thought of having such a beautiful :sun: :sun: and helpful wife but she isn't my wife. And like I said in my earlier post, I was getting rescued so there was no reason for three rides to be ruined. Peter, I hope you and Tom ate a piece of pie for me.

Glad you made it home ok Saul, we'll have better luck next time.

Yes, there will be a next time... Blessing at the end of this month. That one will happen if I have to walk there.

Did Skup use a "plug" or one of those tacky strips?

It was my repair kit I keep in the saddlebag of the Great Pumpkin. First, I tried to air the tire up using my electric pump and the power port I installed into the fairing pocket. Either the fuse is blown in a socket I have never used or the pump I tried when I bought it but never used failed but if it wasn't for Peter's footpump (seen in the photo in his post), I would have had to be picked up in the hospital parking lot. After looking at the tire after it was pulled off the bike, it appears the plug failed and came out. It almost appeared it had never been put in in the first place. There was no sign of the rubber cement I put on the sticky rope plug when I reamed the hole and installed the plug. Basically, I got 8 miles to the truck stop where I topped off the air and another 19 before the plug failed. If I had a combination plug-patch, it probably would have worked. This experience gives me a terrible sense of security with the sticky rope plugs. Maybe I did not let the cement dry long enough (10-15 minutes) but I don't know why the plug failed.

-Saul

Well I found my problem w/ the key switch...IT MELTED !!!

After further research it seems to be a known problem to a few owners of the Suzuki Volusia/C50 line (except for me, till now...) that if you are running any spotlights (including the OEM ones I installed 21,000 miles ago...:roll: ) through the factory accessory plug in the headlight bucket then it will draw too much current and eventually melt the plastic around the copper contact in the key switch housing, making it stick in the non-contact position and killing the bike dead. The solution is to run the power for the spotlights through a relay to take the load off of the key switch. So it looks like I have a wiring job ahead of me...:doh:

Also I have to order another key switch at around $150 from the stealer or $102.50 plus shipping from an online dealer...:eek2:

This experience gives me a terrible sense of security with the sticky rope plugs. Maybe I did not let the cement dry long enough (10-15 minutes) but I don't know why the plug failed.

Just curious, but did you leave the end of the plug sticking out or did you cut it off flush to the tire surface? If you left the excess there, it could have gotten hung up on the pavement and pulled itself out despite the rubber cement.

My ride report? Not much to add about the actual riding. Gotdurt covered the ride to the Bluebonnet. BatCountry and I headed to Junction afterwards to hook up with the dual sport weekend ride out there. Had a nice trip to Junction dodging showers and seeing a bunch of deer. Very green out that way.

Talked to Will Bird, who I hadn't seen since the rainy Pie Run to Bluebonnet a couple of years ago. He counted 85 bikes or so at 11:45am. At that point the Torch group had already done a drive by and moved on. Also, the Houston/Squeaky group and the DFW/Gilk51 group had not arrived yet. So it would be pretty safe to say we had around 100 bikes there. Pretty good turnout for a hot summer day. I just with it was somewhere more comfortable to stay and visit. Inside they were hustling, as usual, to get people in and out so I didn't want to stand in the way and chat. Outside it was warm and eventually it got too hot to stand around and it was time to move on.

I didn't get to talk to near as many people as I'd hoped to, but I did get to meet some new people and get faces to go with names. Glad you all made it out.

My ride report? Not much to add about the actual riding. Gotdurt covered the ride to the Bluebonnet. BatCountry and I headed to Junction afterwards to hook up with the dual sport weekend ride out there. Had a nice trip to Junction dodging showers and seeing a bunch of deer. Very green out that way.

Talked to Will Bird, who I hadn't seen since the rainy Pie Run to Bluebonnet a couple of years ago. He counted 85 bikes or so at 11:45am. At that point the Torch group had already done a drive by and moved on. Also, the Houston/Squeaky group and the DFW/Gilk51 group had not arrived yet. So it would be pretty safe to say we had around 100 bikes there. Pretty good turnout for a hot summer day. I just with it was somewhere more comfortable to stay and visit. Inside they were hustling, as usual, to get people in and out so I didn't want to stand in the way and chat. Outside it was warm and eventually it got too hot to stand around and it was time to move on.

I didn't get to talk to near as many people as I'd hoped to, but I did get to meet some new people and get faces to go with names. Glad you all made it out.
I still owe you a $1 bill :doh:

Just curious, but did you leave the end of the plug sticking out or did you cut it off flush to the tire surface? If you left the excess there, it could have gotten hung up on the pavement and pulled itself out despite the rubber cement.

I cut it off as best I could. There was a small amount left sticking out that looked like it had flattened out on the ride to the truck stop. To be honest, I never even thought about it possibly sticking to the pavement and pulling out. It looked pretty dirty and sandy when I looked at it at the truck stop. I have already put a pair of diagonal cutters in the tool kit just in case there is a next-time.

-Saul

I'm still waiting to see the pic of the coral snake under the Wee seat!

I cut it off as best I could. There was a small amount left sticking out that looked like it had flattened out on the ride to the truck stop. To be honest, I never even thought about it possibly sticking to the pavement and pulling out. It looked pretty dirty and sandy when I looked at it at the truck stop. I have already put a pair of diagonal cutters in the tool kit just in case there is a next-time.

-Saul

With plugs or strips, there should be about 1/8" of material sticking out AFTER you cut off the excess. This helps to keep the plug/strip from pushing into the inside of the tire. Also, I carry a small tube of rubber cement to use with the strips. I make very liberal use of it :trust:

I forgot that I needed to post this photo. There's one in every group, somebody that has to tear down the bike to continue on.

IMG_0980.jpg

Well I found my problem w/ the key switch...IT MELTED !!!

After further research it seems to be a known problem to a few owners of the Suzuki Volusia/C50 line (except for me, till now...) that if you are running any spotlights (including the OEM ones I installed 21,000 miles ago...:roll: ) through the factory accessory plug in the headlight bucket then it will draw too much current and eventually melt the plastic around the copper contact in the key switch housing, making it stick in the non-contact position and killing the bike dead. The solution is to run the power for the spotlights through a relay to take the load off of the key switch. So it looks like I have a wiring job ahead of me...:doh:

Also I have to order another key switch at around $150 from the stealer or $102.50 plus shipping from an online dealer...:eek2:

I think there was a recall on the ignition harness call a dealer and have that checked. Maybe a free fix!

I think there was a recall on the ignition harness call a dealer and have that checked. Maybe a free fix!

Thanks but I already had that recall done the week it came out and it only covered the routing of the wire not the actual switch...

I forgot that I needed to post this photo. There's one in every group, somebody that has to tear down the bike to continue on.

IMG_0980.jpg

Well there was two but we didn't get a pic of mine. Ask Art (aharbi) what he saw when he rode up the hill...LOL :lol2:

About the only thing left on the frame was the saddlebags, backrest and T-Bag, handlebars and windshield, even the tank was unbolted but just resting on the frame...LOL:lol2:

Gotdurt pretty much summed up our ride out with Woodbutcher and BatCountry.

Casey, that is a great photo of me! That was scary as **** but a lot of fun! Where's the one of me after I froze up and ran wide into the brush? I hit up Cross Creek yesterday and my skills definitely improved because of that little run.

Some other highlights on the way out included all four of us passing a HUGE longhorn just chilling on the side of the road. Could've been nasty. Maybe not a big deal to some, but I'm sure my friends back in NJ will get a kick out of it.

Woodbutcher was leading at one point, and we made a pretty abrupt stop to make a turn. Right as we stop a dog or two came barking and running up on us. I was hoping he was planning on moving away quickly, and he did. We scooted out of there pretty good. After the longhorn this incident definitely had me laughing out loud under my helmet.

Also, we passed what looked like a botched delivery of a double or triple wide mobile home. The whole rig was strewn across the road, one end sitting in a ditch, the other sort of half on the trailer rig. I don't think there was much we could do to help, and the Vstrom, Transalp, DR650 and KLX250 slowed down enough to get around and away we went.

I'm not gonna post pictures of the lot at the cafe. It was pretty cool seeing all the different bikes and fantasy shopping around. I was definitely admiring the black supermoto sitting next to my bike. I was really shocked when I heard the bad news. Casey if I had stuck around to help you find your plastic there's a strong chance I would've run into everything with you. You did a good thing.

Thanks to everyone I met, this was definitely the thing I was looking to do after moving to TX. My souvenir nametag is on the fridge.:rider:

Back