• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

The only reprieve I got all night was, every so often the swarm would leave me to attack Bill. This was a false hope situation as after a quick feed of Texan blood they again swarmed me for a dessert of Scotch blood.

That must have been a big cabin, for a whole swarm to get in. I've seen pics of an Alaskan mosquito carrying off a young moose. Before the arrival of the white man, the Inuit used to ride them to spot herds of elk from the air.

:mrgreen:

Keep the pics and report coming!
From what I remember of the 'mozzies' on my trip years ago, there's not one single mozzie in the whole of Alaska. Yep. That's right. Not a single one.

They are all married with a bazillion kids each.

I've been really swamped lately and haven't had a chance to work on this. I hope to post some more this week. :twitch:

Give the man a break... they had a hurricane for crying out loud!!! LOL

I'm resizing pics as we speak, so hopefully I can managed to post up a few tidbits here and there.

Alrighty, here are some teaser shots from me. These were taken in about the first 2 hours of this whole thing starting.

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

More to come....

I guess it's my turn to post some crummy pics

During the trip I took a total of 102 pics - this is something I have to force myself to do. I've missed whole days in places!

I had a (expensive) riot getting the R100 ready for the trip - here it is the week prior to take off

309445740_azYfj-S.jpg

Getting ready for take off in Calgary

334596153_Bi83x-S.jpg

334596181_YzAV3-S.jpg

334596267_Sf53b-S.jpg

334596296_xzkQd-S.jpg

334596383_tyVnA-S.jpg

Honestly I hate to stop and take photo's - so anything I took is spotty

Leaving Calgary my charging light immedatly came on. I'd just updated my charging system to the superior aftermarket one - ditching the old rotor,stator and diode boards for a permant magnet rotor, stator and voltage regulator from a Ducati for this very reason. To say I was p***ed is an understatement. At the beginning I was unsure if the bike was charging or if it was a indicator bulb problem so for the first couple hours I turned the headlight off to lessen the drain. After digging into the bike the first evening on the road I determined it was a indicator bulb problem and the bike was charging OK - it was just annoying to have the bright red light glaring at you all the time

334596619_BamQq-S.jpg

334596617_PMPN7-S.jpg

The icefields were awesome tho and a welcome relief from weeks of opressive Houston weather

Say hi Billy

334596709_CvoxF-S.jpg

Say hi Yogi

334596809_HbjDG-S.jpg

Fast forward to the start of the ALCAN Hwy 2 days later - this is the tourist start

334597023_vSWj3-Ti.jpg

334597219_M7kyf-S.jpg

This is the start for the purests

334597302_v6m7G-S.jpg

The first night on the Alcan was spent at Watson Lake - it's a cross roads for overland travel to both Alaska and the Yukon - home of the $18 pack smokes :eek2:

Bill, Graeme and I camped, Sparky was feeling under the weather and grabbed a hotel room (with the special channel)

Of course Watson Lake is home of the sign forest - it's really hard to describe and it is huge - you could spend a full day wandering around but we spent an hour

334597362_sjpSy-S.jpg

334597473_PVTTX-S.jpg

334597691_WpPWZ-S.jpg

That's enough for now - hopefully Sparky will get the hint and post half decent photo's

334598007_vJukj-S.jpg

Nice to see the rest of the guys posting their photos too!!! Now there's more people to harass to get more photos uploaded instead of only poor ol' Sparky! :lol2:

Guess Ed was not the only stow away on this trip.

Meet Bobby Butterfly and Doug the DragonFly

IMG_4679.jpg

I finally got time to try and clean the SUV and replace a few parts. Imgine my surprise when I opened the air box and found these guys still free loading. I still can not believe that Bobby Butterfly managed to get into the air box and survive in such good shape.

For the techie folks that are interested in the wear of parts here is the replacement list

On the road
Mounting pads for Laminar Lip

At Bill's House
TKC80 on the front had little to nothing left (but I got 7000+ miles out of it)
Tourance on the rear maybe had 1000 miles left
Both tires had about 600 miles on them before the trip

Last week
Parts with about 600 miles on them
- Chain & Sprockets
- Oil Filter
- Clutch Fluid ( had to top this off in the rain at the road side so wanted to replace it)
- Front Brake Fluid (cause I could change it)
Parts with 14000 miles on them
- Clutch slave cylinder (long story - roadside work gone bad)
- Rear Brake pads ( I was lucky I still had very little pads left so no rotar damage)

Honest, I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been really busy at the casa. Here in the next few days I should be able to get a bunch of pics loaded up. I hope.

Leaving Dallas and arriving in Calgary.....

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

And just a random shot of my helmet on a rock. But I like it so tough, you have to look at it. LOL

IMG_2270.jpg

More to come...:mrgreen:

Its GO TIME!!!!! Let's get this show on the road!:rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:

Day 1 through my eyes.

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

Okay, so look close at this one. Do you see those little black spots on the ice? Yeah? Okay, remember them for later.
IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

Here are what those little black spots are. Yep, just these little guys.
IMG_2307.jpg

Break time!
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

And camp.
IMG_2314.jpg

Alrighty, it's ice cream time. Later!

Day 12 - July 4th

Al and I woke up after a good night's sleep refreshed and ready to go. Graeme and Bill were muttering something about mosquitos. Al and I looked at each other and said "What mosquitos?" We were in the back room and Graeme and Bill were out front, and the mozzies were coming in through a gap in the front door. They could have come under the door to our room, but since there was an ample supply of fresh meat to feed on in the front room, they never bothered. Our first clue to the mozzie problem should have been the mosquito coil "inside" the cabin. As we were packing up to leave I snapped a few pics of the lovely scene on the Dease River...

358401578_4xKAR-M.jpg

358402355_49Aa4-M.jpg

We hit the road south down to the town of Dease Lake and stopped for breakfast. This section of road had about 20 miles of gravel. At one point we passed some really slow moving RVs, and just after that I felt something weird near the back of the bike. Bill was on the radio immediately to tell me that one of my panniers fell off! I had become a little complacent about checking everything on the bike each morning, and here was the result. Realizing that I had two RVs bearing down on me, I made a quick U-turn and rode back, jumped off the bike, and got the pannier off the road just as the RVs were coming over the hill. The only damage was some scratches, and the dry bag I had strapped to the pannier now had a big hole torn in it.

We continued on to the town of Dease Lake and stopped in this little road house for breakfast. Al and I were sitting at the table and Bill and Graeme were using the phones. As I sat there I realized that today was July 4. This holiday isn't usually a big deal with my family, just a cookout and some fireworks. But for some reason it made me really sad to think about the holiday and not being with them to share it. I think the biggest thing for me about this whole trip was the realization that I do not like being away from my family for such a long time. I had a moment that morning when all I really wanted in life was to get home.

We all ordered the Talithan Hash - the food was awesome and I was feeling better after a good meal.

358403362_za9s9-M.jpg

We continued south through the mountains of western British Columbia enjoying mile after mile of amazing vistas.

358403904_CEdEB-M.jpg

One of Graeme's favorite "grate" bridges...

358404610_6g3sW-M.jpg

Some more spectacular BC scenery...

358405209_kWSUb-M.jpg

358409152_zisyZ-M.jpg

358409656_8rt5g-M.jpg

358411862_2Ns2W-L.jpg

Much to Bill and Graeme's disappointment, this bit of construction was regulated by a stoplight, and not a flag girl...

358406388_yuwfR-M.jpg

Later that afternoon it started raining. I kept hoping that we would get out of it soon, but it kept getting worse, and we pulled over so I could put my rain gear on. By now it was coming down pretty steady, and when we got ready to go, Graeme couldn't move. He radioed that his clutch wasn't working. We all turned off the bikes and proceeded to see what the problem was...

358413398_Hbpxf-M.jpg

Turns out that there was no fluid left in his hydraulic clutch. Remember that stop we had to check Graeme's chain wear a couple of days ago? Well we think that some dirt got on the slave cylinder seal and caused it to leak...

358414290_2VGvb-M.jpg

How many motorcyclists does it take to fill a clutch cylinder?

358415038_PvPjC-M.jpg

358415689_B45p7-M.jpg

After about 30 to 45 minutes, they had the fluid filled and everything put back together and we were off again. The rain gradually gave way to sunshine again, and as we rolled south we began to see more signs of civilization. The mountains and canyons gave way to wide valleys with farms and ranches and the landscape became distinctively less wild.

358417083_8Wg94-M.jpg

358417856_DQjHL-M.jpg

358416349_F94gB-M.jpg

358419336_jBvL9-M.jpg

As the sun set and we began looking for a place to camp, a double rainbow appeared in the east.

358418577_StUxZ-M.jpg

Graeme commented at camp that night that he felt a little let down because the trip was starting to draw to a close. The adventurous part of the trip was over, and we were now into the final phase of making our way back to Calgary. There was still a lot of riding ahead, with more fantastic scenery and awesome roads, but the wildness of the the far north was behind us.

Mileage for Day 12: 574 (longest day on the bikes)
Total bike mileage to date: 4,620

Back