• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Dual Sport Project - 1974 XL350 K0

Reaction score
My Honda SL-100 fell through--the guy sold it out from under me. I found this one locally and thought it would be a different challenge. Its a 1974 XL350 K0 iin pretty good condition although it is running rough. I'll adjust the valves, rebuild the carb and replace all the ignition parts to see if I can get it running better.

It doesn't need any replacement parts although it needs a lot of refinishing. I'm going to strip it to the frame and have it powder coated, then clean/derust/repaint/rechrome all the hard parts. Rechroming has gotten expensive and luckily this doesn't have a lot. I'll replace a lot of the fastners, gaskets and rubber pieces too. I've got the factory service manual on order, can't wait to get started!

xl350.jpg

xl3502.jpg

xl3503.jpg

xl3505.jpg

xl3508.jpg

xl35010.jpg

While waiting on the manual and tune-up parts I started tearing it down a little to see what I'd need to do.

Someone removed the turn signals a long time ago, but luckily, they put them in a box and the box kept going with the bike. When they replaced the signals, they put this piece from a XL250 on the bike.
HPIM0954.jpg

This is the one I need to use the turn signals. Notice the brackets to attach the signals on the bottom of what Honda calls the number support.
HPIM0957.jpg

Here are the turn signals ready to be polished and derusted. One will need replaced eventually as it looks like the bike slid down the road on it and ground off a good 1/4" of a corner. They are sill available from Honda. The bracket which attached that turn signal to the bike was bent, but I was able to straighten it out.
HPIM0958.jpg

Here are the rear brackets. They need stripped and repainted.
HPIM0959-1.jpg

Making progress on stripping the bike for the frame repaint. I think I'm goinig to repaint it instead of powder coating because powder coating is a PIA to mess with because its so thick. You have to scrape it off to get other pieces to fit. Ive' decided thinking about the engine makes my head hurt so I'm going to refinish the rolling chassis and worry about the engine when that is done.

HPIM0998.jpg

You can see some of the rust on the frame in this picture, its not bad, but it just doesn't look good.
I'm replacing all the control cables--two were damged and all are rusty. I already have speedometer, front brake, and clutch cables on the way. I need to find a source for the tach cable as neither Honda or Motion Pro have one.
I'm going to repaint the upper and lower triple tree and ordered tapered roller bearings to replace the individual bearings which were stock.
I've also ordered the two bolts at the top of the fork tubes because these are rusty and rounded a little from a ham fisted mechanic.
HPIM0993.jpg

The handlebars need rechroming because they have a lot of rust on them. I tried to clean it, but I think it'll just come right back.
The front fender is in good condition. I'll just respray it.
HPIM0984.jpg

The tail light bracket is really rusty and its bent a little. The license plate will cover the bent part so I'm thinking of rechroming it instead of replacing it.
HPIM0985.jpg

The tail light is rusty, I'm trying to decide between NOS and aftermarket.
HPIM0971.jpg

The battery is pretty new, but the box is rusty and need sand blasted and resprayed.
HPIM0970.jpg

The chrome guard on the muffler is in good condition. I ordered the insulators and screws that are used to mount it because they are rounded and rusty.
The side cover is in good condition. I ordered new decals and I'll respray it so its bright like the rest of the bike will be.
I ordered new sprockets and will get a new o-ring chain.
I also ordered new straps for the side cover, battery and tool bag.
HPIM0980.jpg

I ordered a new tool bag and two of the missing tools.
I want to take the seat cover off and repaint the seat pan, but I'm leary of those little teeth that hold the cover on. I don't want to break them off.
The seat lock (the part with the two philips screw heads at thebottom of the picture) is broke, I ordered another one.
HPIM0975.jpg

The front wheel is pretty good. First I'll check the spokes, then I'll take the brake shoes out and look at them, if everything is good I'll just install a new tire and tube and be done with.
HPIM0973.jpg

The rear wheel is pretty good too. Same procedure as the front.
You can see the swing arm is a little rusty. I'll respray it and replace the bushings.
HPIM0979.jpg

This is the only part I'd like to powder coat. The skid plate takes a lot of rock impacts. You can see the paint damage to the frame here too.
HPIM0972.jpg

Just need some cleaning here.
HPIM0999.jpg

Everything here seems to work well so just some cleaning.

I'll up date the post as I make progress on cleaning, stripping, repainting.

Once all that is done I'll contemplate the engine.

Re: New Dual Sport Project

Man, those detailed photos bring back a lot of memories. This bike is in better condition right now than the used one I bought in 1978.

Honda put that same tail light bracket on all it's dual sports. I've torn more of them off than I can remember. Those square-profile rear tires were a hoot on twisty asphalt backroads.

The purpose of that chrome exhaust pipe cover was to give your girlfriend a cool patterned burn scar on her calf so she would remember you for the rest of her life.

Notice how everything is solid and heavy.

That bike won't be right until you strip the threads on the kickstart shaft, then drill a hole through the shaft and put a bent nail through the hole. :mrgreen:

Nice looking bike! I always liked the xl honda, back in the day I learned on a xl 75 and had a xl 100 and a xl 500 man all the good times I had back then....Wish Honda still made them.

The body work is in good solid condition, except for rust in the tank. I'll be using POR15 on it this weekend and painting everything next weekend. I'll paint the blue area and black stripe and put a new Honda wing on it. Its not period correct, but I'll shoot clear over the decals to protect them.

HPIM1004.jpg

The side covers are in pretty good condition, but will stick out like a sore thumb once I paint the tank and fenders so they'll get new mat black paint and decals.

HPIM1003.jpg

This stuff is going to get chromed on Friday.

HPIM1005.jpg

Here's some details of the teardown.

This is how I started in the garage tonight the radio, a Dos Equis and pizza hut pizza. You can see the top of the engine case under the carb is discolored--the carb was leaking a lot at some point. I have a rebuilt kit and gasket set for the carb on order.

HPIM1006.jpg

The wiring is pretty good, no reason to fix anything except the horn circuit which was cut off somewhere. Everything else just needs a good cleaning and tape job. I've found some heat shrink tape at Altex that really works well--much better than electrical tape as it doesn't come undone. Its aout $10 a roll.

HPIM1007.jpg

Its mainly just sandblasting, painting or cleaning.

HPIM1010.jpg

Here you can see all the rust with the coil and ignition switch removed.

HPIM1012.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere.

HPIM1014.jpg

There is an oil leak somewhere around the countershaft sprocket. It doesn't look like its the sprocket itself, but somewhere higher, maybe the neutral switch??

HPIM1016.jpg

I've got two tires, an aluminum rear sprocket, steel front sprocket, chain, steering head bearings, seat lock, clutch cable, brake cables, speedometer cable, sundry gromets, rubber parts, seals, o-rings, screws, bolts, washers, and nuts on order.I'm trying to stay unde $2K total. Hope it works.

Thanks for taking the time to document you re-build/resto :thumb: I am looking forward to the outcome.

Are you trying to stick to a budget on this or are you just kind of doing it as you go along? (If you understand my thinking?)

Great job so far!

Thanks for taking the time to document you re-build/resto :thumb: I am looking forward to the outcome.

Are you trying to stick to a budget on this or are you just kind of doing it as you go along? (If you understand my thinking?)

Great job so far!

Well, I started with a idea that I wouldn't go over $2K total but I've already blown by that without tearing into the engine. I'll fix that by just not thinking about it.

:clap: :clap: Looks like you found a winner!! Seems to be in great condition for it's age. Keep the pics coming. That thing's really gonna shine when you're done.:sun: Don't forget to update your sig.;-)

Kathy goes to work about an hour before I get up and today she called me at 6:30:eek2: to bring her something from home. I wasn't going to take the parts to be rechromed unti tomorrow, but since I was up so early I grabbed the chrome parts and dropped them off at Astro Bumper Exchange for rechroming. $168 for the lot which is reasonable. Chroming has gotten really expensive as the EPA has tightened up the environmental rules.

HPIM1005.jpg

Handlebars, the rear turn signal and fender support, taillight mounting bracket, choke mounting bracket and a bail which aligns cables.

Well, I started with a idea that I wouldn't go over $2K total but I've already blown by that without tearing into the engine. I'll fix that by just not thinking about it.

Nice old XL, those were some big ole bad hill climbin mothers back in the day. I worked in Red River, NM right after high school, one guy had one in town, it was the king of the hill. Course, you could have bought my DR350 for 1600! :)

HPIM1004.jpg

That's a great looking bike!
Looks like we have a few in things in common. I have an xl in repair, though it's an '86 and no where near as cool looking as yours. I too have a Jet cabinet saw, and if I'm not mistaken, a Grizzly jointer. Power tools and bikes have to share the same space, it's tough sometimes choosing what to play with next!
I look forward to seeing the progress on the bike.

P.S. What do you make?

HPIM1004.jpg

That's a great looking bike!
Looks like we have a few in things in common. I have an xl in repair, though it's an '86 and no where near as cool looking as yours. I too have a Jet cabinet saw, and if I'm not mistaken, a Grizzly jointer. Power tools and bikes have to share the same space, it's tough sometimes choosing what to play with next!
I look forward to seeing the progress on the bike.

P.S. What do you make?

You know your power tools. Sometimes my wife can't get me out of the garage.:mrgreen:

I used to make furniture, but everyone in the family has what they want or need at this point so I've been making smaller things. Jewelry boxes, cutting boards, stuff like that. We made some tombstones for Halloween and used a router to cut the letters and put edges on the "stones". My next project is a hanging wall shelf for helmets, jackets and gloves.

I finished stripping it down to the frame this morning.

HPIM1019.jpg

When I took the skid plate off, one of the motor mounts came out too.

HPIM1018.jpg

HPIM1017.jpg

Then the front and rear mount came out. Easy, just 3 bolts.

HPIM1020.jpg

And finally the lower mount at the rear of the engine.

HPIM1021.jpg

Then I just tilted and lifted the engine out of the bike. It only weighs about 100 lbs so I could just grab it by the head and yank. The engine of the last bike I restoed, a 1983 CB1100F weighed about 250 lbs so I had to use a jack to get it out.

HPIM1023.jpg

HPIM1022.jpg

First I loosened the shocks and removed the brake arm. Then I loosened the swing arm bolt nut, then put the nut on the end of the bolt and tapped it with a hammer to loosen it up. Then I removed the swing arm.

HPIM1024.jpg

Then I removed the shocks.

Next I removed the front wheel, then I loosened the fork top nut and the hex bolt that goes up inside the lower fork leg. I did that before I relesed the triple tree clamps so the would be held tight which makes the job easier.

HPIM1025.jpg

I should have removed the handbar clamps while the handlebars were on the bike because they kept spinning when I twisted the nut. I came up with this solution.

HPIM1026.jpg

Here's the frame ready for sand blasting.

There was rust in the petcock cup when I took it apart and I could see a little rust through the fuel opening so I decided to treat the tank. I had heard some good things about POR15 so I thought I'd give it a try.

HPIM1027.jpg

I used a screw and piece of rubber I cut off the old tires to block off the petcock hole.

HPIM1028.jpg

Its a three step process. First, you apply something called Marine Clean which is alkaline and caustic to clean any old gas and varnish out of the tank. It went in clear and came out looking like dark iced tea so I guess it did its job. The inside of the tank looked great too. It used to have a brown cast to it and I thought it was rust, but I think it was old fuel varnish.

The next step is Metal Ready which is acidic and not only neutralizes the alkaline Marine Clean, it attacks the rust chemically and is supposed to neutralize it. You have to rotate the tank so it gets to all parts equally. I left it in two hours per the directions rotating it occasionally.

HPIM1029.jpg

HPIM1030.jpg

I was going to use a heat gun to dry the inside of the tank, but it started getting hot to hold and I was worried I'd burn out the gun before the tank was truly and completely dry. Then I got to thinking. Katherine is in Austin with our Daughter this weekend and the tank is small enough to fit in the over.....

HPIM1031.jpg

I figure a couple hours at 200 degrees and the water should be long gone.

The tank of my project bike was like that but i used nuts and bolts mixed with kerosene and worked out

Nice projects keep the pics coming!

The first thing I 'm going to put back together is the front end so I started on the triple tree today. The bike came with two ball bearings, but it was definitely old school, a race, 18 ball individual ball bearings and a cup. You were supposed to grease the bearings to hold them in the cup while you pulled everything together. Probably not that big a deal, but I wanted to change to tapered roller bearings while I had it apart. The problem was the lower bearing race. On other bikes, I've actually had to unweld the stem from the lower triple tree and install the race and reweld the lower tree in place. Its not a job for an amateur welder and I paid dearly to have it done.

After looking at this one carefully and measuring it with my wood working calipers--100ths of an inch, not 1000ths, I determined I should be able to just slip it off the stem. I tried to gently pry it off to no effect so a quick trip to Bike Bandit and the seal and backup ring are still available. Another quick trip to e-bay to make sure I could get another steering stem fairly cheap for plan B and out comes the hammer and punch.

HPIM1034.jpg

HPIM1035.jpg

HPIM1036.jpg

It took quite a bit of force to get the bearings off the stem so I think I'll probably end up taking it to a machine shop to have the new bearing pressed on.

Getting the races out of the frame is usually a PIA because there is very little edge sticking out and you need a drift about 10" long if you don't have the factory tool.

HPIM1043.jpg

Luckily these races had a lot of lip sticking out and I could use this as a drift.

HPIM1044.jpg

A few hard taps and the race was out.

HPIM1045.jpg

Once it warmed up to the recommended temp of 72 degrees I started sealing the tank.

HPIM1037-1.jpg

It looks like silver paint and the directions say to stir it until its a uniform color.

HPIM1038.jpg

I was never able to get the black streaks completely out. The bottom of the can was thick.

HPIM1039.jpg

Once it was a consistent thickness I poured it into the tank and turned it over multiple times to coat the inside of the tank. I opened the tape and looked inside once and it looked like it was gong on good. A few more turns and I was ready to drain it out. I'd say 7/8 th of what went in came back out.

HPIM1040.jpg

It kept draining for a long time and I kept trying to get it out because the directions say pooling inside will cause problems later. Here's what it looks like now--nice and shiney. I can see in the tank and I don't see any pooling so I hope its good to go.

HPIM1042.jpg

I keep thinking I ought to buy a small table top sand blast cabinet, but after dropping the frame off to be blasted and primed I don't think I will. They only charged $75 to do the frame, swing arm, brake arm, motor mounts, kickstand, foot pegs, ignition stay, battery box, skid plate, triple tree, headlight stay, rear turn signal stays, and coil stay. Why the heck would I want to spend over $150 and then have to do the labor myself and get rid of the waste? It'll all be done tomorrow then I can paint all the frame parts this weekend.

What compound are you using inside the tank? If you mentioned it I must have missed it. The only method I know of is the Kreem compound and the stuff you're using doesn't look the same. I recently won a tank off ebay for the RZ and I'd like to apply something similar.

Keep posting the pics!!!:trust:

What compound are you using inside the tank? If you mentioned it I must have missed it. The only method I know of is the Kreem compound and the stuff you're using doesn't look the same. I recently won a tank off ebay for the RZ and I'd like to apply something similar.

Keep posting the pics!!!:trust:

I've never seen a Kreeme job last very long. Every tank I've seen that was Kreemed has peeled eventually. I think its the prep and not the Kreeme itself that fails.

I considered Wurst and Rustico before choosing POR 15 which is available here POR15. I choose it because unlike Wurst and Rustico, you actually cover the rust with a protective coating, not just neutralize the rust. The first step is a cleaner which removes the dirt and gas residue, the second step neutralizes the rust and preps the metal for the coating and the last step seals the metal inside the tank. I have my fingers crossed.

Had an expensive setback today. I thought I'd give the forks a look since I had time waiting for the sand blasting to come back. You can see the problem in the pics below.

HPIM1047.jpg

HPIM1049.jpg

These areas were almost hidden by the dust seal when the forks were on the bike and now you can see the damage. The fork tubes will have to be replaced so a call to Franks Forks is in order. About $250 a set. I'll also need to look inside to see if there are worn out parts causing this or if its just a result of the design and some hard riding.

More bad news here.

HPIM1046.jpg

Some of the spokes on both rims are bent and I couldn't clean them up with steel wool and rubbing compound. I don't want to put new spokes on a rim with stained, corroded spokes so it looks like I'll need to respoke front and back. Another $200. The rims are in pretty good shape otherwise, a few scratches from tire changes and such, but as long as the spokes are coming off, I might as well reshoot them. I hope I can find some brushed aluminum paint.

Wow that is cool, great pictures. Another memory lane thread... my Uncle had one of those on our ranch in Wyoming when I was a kid. I used to ride that and my little brother would ride my CR-80. Somebody mentioned the bent nail that you need to make it authentic... how about a piece of PVC pipe attached with piano wire for carrying an irrigation shovel? :trust:

Back