• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Dual Sport Project - 1974 XL350 K0

Re: New Dual Sport Project

Hey if you go to Eastwoods website you can get Argent Silver in
spray cans or by the quart or gallon (at least you could last time
I needed some). It is the same color used
on the old corvette wheels and is a very close match for the
Honda color

Hey if you go to Eastwoods website you can get Argent Silver in
spray cans or by the quart or gallon (at least you could last time
I needed some). It is the same color used
on the old corvette wheels and is a very close match for the
Honda color

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Well, the fork tubes are on order, but I haven't decided what to do about the spokes. I want to replace them and don't mind paying to have it done, but I can't find anyone to do it locally and don't want to mess with shipping the wheels to the place in California I'm ordering the spokes from. I guess I could give it a shot, after all, how hard could it be? I got the roller bearings last night and they don't fit--too small. I'll have to get that sorted out with the seller.

Well, the fork tubes are on order, but I haven't decided what to do about the spokes. I want to replace them and don't mind paying to have it done, but I can't find anyone to do it locally and don't want to mess with shipping the wheels to the place in California I'm ordering the spokes from. I guess I could give it a shot, after all, how hard could it be? I got the roller bearings last night and they don't fit--too small. I'll have to get that sorted out with the seller.

The challenge there will be truing the wheel. You will need to make a setup so that you can spin the wheel and measure its hop and wobble as you install and tighten the spokes. There's a book about how to do it for bicycles that I think some have said is 100% applicable to motorcycle wheels. I don't know the title. One of our wrench gurus here I am ssure knows.

I've never seen a Kreeme job last very long. Every tank I've seen that was Kreemed has peeled eventually. I think its the prep and not the Kreeme itself that fails.

I considered Wurst and Rustico before choosing POR 15 which is available here POR15. I choose it because unlike Wurst and Rustico, you actually cover the rust with a protective coating, not just neutralize the rust. The first step is a cleaner which removes the dirt and gas residue, the second step neutralizes the rust and preps the metal for the coating and the last step seals the metal inside the tank. I have my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the link. I'll check out the POR 15.
Sorry about the setback with the fork tubes. That's a bummer!!:doh:
About your wheels, I worked at a bicycle shop all through high school and I've laced up probably a hundred wheels. I'll admit it looks like a daunting task but after I did a few it became very easy to do. Like Mike said, truing the wheel will be the biggest challenge. You'll need to set up a jig to rest the axle on while spinning the wheel to eliminate hops and wobble. I've never laced up a motorcycle wheel but it has to be a lot easier than a bicycle because it's not nearly as delicate. The main thing is to tighten all the spokes evenly.
I did a search on YouTube and found this vid on lacing. Of coarse the wheel is different and you might be dealing with 2 different length spokes due to the drum brakes but the concept is the same. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDRFaW3LYA

Thanks for the link. I'll check out the POR 15.
Sorry about the setback with the fork tubes. That's a bummer!!:doh:
About your wheels, I worked at a bicycle shop all through high school and I've laced up probably a hundred wheels. I'll admit it looks like a daunting task but after I did a few it became very easy to do. Like Mike said, truing the wheel will be the biggest challenge. You'll need to set up a jig to rest the axle on while spinning the wheel to eliminate hops and wobble. I've never laced up a motorcycle wheel but it has to be a lot easier than a bicycle because it's not nearly as delicate. The main thing is to tighten all the spokes evenly.
I did a search on YouTube and found this vid on lacing. Of coarse the wheel is different and you might be dealing with 2 different length spokes due to the drum brakes but the concept is the same. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDRFaW3LYA

Thanks for the link. There are two different spokes on both the front and rear. I' m going to give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen? I don't do it right and send it off to be done and I might save $200.

I picked up the primed frame and misc parts last night.

HPIM1058.jpg

I spent this morning polishing the parts with steel wool, the reprimed the frame and parts and polished with fine steel wool again.

HPIM1057.jpg

HPIM1050.jpg

HPIM1054.jpg

Tomorrow I'll spray the frame and parts semi gloss black.

I also made a stand for the engine today so I can tear it down when I'm finished with the frame.

HPIM1051.jpg

HPIM1059.jpg

Once the frame is together, I'll be putting lots of NOS parts back on it.

HPIM1055.jpg

This is a neat little vice I use to hold small parts I'm cleaning.

HPIM1053.jpg

I intended to paint the frame and all the misc parts this morning, but I ran into a problem and only got the frame and a few other parts painted.

I don't have a paint booth so I do most of my painting outside. I wouldn't paint something big outside, but modern paints dry quickly so there is little chance of something landing on it and spoiling the paint on something small like motorcycle parts.

HPIM1060.jpg

HPIM1062.jpg

HPIM1063.jpg

HPIM1064.jpg

Here are the other parts I was going to paint. I started and I got some crackling on a couple parts so I decided to stop and clean them all before continuing. I'll have to wait to next weekend to resume.

HPIM1061.jpg

"I'll have to wait to next weekend to resume".

That's mean to make us wait that long!

Last edited:

I'm not sure I can last that long.

Thanks for sharing your rebuild with us. I have enjoyed following this thread more than any other since I have been on this site. I wish I lived next door to you and could sit in on this kind of stuff. I look forward to seeing what you accomplish this weekend. :clap:

Looks remarkably similar to my 74 tl125. It was in nowhere as good of shape as yours. The best money I spent on the bike was getting a custom set of allen head screws made for the engine to get rid of all of the half stripped out phillips heads. Looks better too. Can't wait to see final result of your bike. Maybe it will inspire me to re-restore my tl to better than new condition and dual sport it too! Good luck.

Looks remarkably similar to my 74 tl125. It was in nowhere as good of shape as yours. The best money I spent on the bike was getting a custom set of allen head screws made for the engine to get rid of all of the half stripped out phillips heads. Looks better too. Can't wait to see final result of your bike. Maybe it will inspire me to re-restore my tl to better than new condition and dual sport it too! Good luck.

That was my first purchase. Good thing too because I ruined most of the screws getting the side covers off the engine.

HPIM1066.jpg

This bike has more crap sticking out through the engine cases than any bike I've ever seen!

I picked up the rechromed pieces today.

HPIM1067.jpg

I'm going to have to make a second trip to Astro Plating--the clutch acutator shaft was originally chrome and its rusty and pitted so I'll have to get it replated.

I also reattached the vehicle ID plate to the steering head. I punched out the original rivets and rerivited it. The vin number is also stamped into the head on the other side.

HPIM1068.jpg

Moving right along! Do you plan on doing any engine mods? Or are you going to go that deep? Looks like it was well taken care of and I bet there is a lot of good life in that engine. :rider:

Thanks for sharing your rebuild with us. I have enjoyed following this thread more than any other since I have been on this site. I wish I lived next door to you and could sit in on this kind of stuff. I look forward to seeing what you accomplish this weekend. :clap:

Thank you. I don't know how much I'll get done next weekend though. We're kinda a weird family--we're celebrating Thanksgiving this Sunday. All the family is flying in Friday-Saturday and will leave Wednesday because we're taking a trip through Arkansas on the Gold Wing beginning on Thanksgiving day.

I knew you couldn't wait 'til the weekend! :lol2:

Moving right along! Do you plan on doing any engine mods? Or are you going to go that deep? Looks like it was well taken care of and I bet there is a lot of good life in that engine. :rider:

Once the frame is done, I'll tear into the engine. If the valves and piston/rings are good, then I'll just replace the valve guides and seals, lap the valves and put it back together. If it needs work, I'll have to decide what to do.

Original pistons and rings 1, 2 3, and 4 sizes over can be sourced from England, but they are expensive. Aftermarket high compression/large bore pistons, rings and valves cost about the same so I might go that route. I won't do anything to the bottom end as it shifts fine and doesn't leak oil there.

From reading the web, the only really weak part of the engine is the cam, which rolls in plain bearings, can wear into the head if oil isn't changed religiously. I'll have to see. A new cam with needle bearings is available, but pricey and requires machining to install.

With only 6600 miles, I bet the innerds are still in pretty good shape.

It was a drive by!! Two clicks of the rivet gun and it was done.

You're right. I bet you didn't even get your hands dirty. That can hardly be called work. :lol2:

Looks like the chrome work went really well :thumb:

Back