• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Terlingua

My friend and I are heading down to Terlingua on the 22nd for four days, anyone have any suggestions on which roads to ride? We plan on doing the Amit lake road run from Terlingua ranch out to 118 and back.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

I would totally avoid the gate 9 / Lake road, the locals in that area are quite stirred up from last weekends ride .
I won't go into detail with their threats but there are so many other great roads to ride in the area ( avoid the Ranch altogether except the main road and Marathon Road ) , no reason for any confrontations with the few individuals that call us "punks", "thugs" and "rogue outlaw bikers from the city" . We were confronted with a crazed woman in a truck that pretty much accused us of tearing up her roads before we had even ridden them.

One area we rode on Thursday and Friday before the event was the Blackgap Wildlife Mgmt area on the East side of the park. You just "pre-register " to ride there (12 bucks over the phone to TPWD) but it's worth every penny along with riding in BBNP itself.
A great ride down along the river, plenty of great scenery, and a fun ride across Marathon Road to get there ( you can get gas at the Stillwell Store )

have fun

I would totally avoid the gate 9 / Lake road, the locals in that area are quite stirred up from last weekends ride ( we monitor their local YAHOO group )
I won't go into detail with their threats but there are so many other great roads to ride in the area ( avoid the Ranch altogether except the main road and Marathon Road ) , no reason for any confrontations with the few individuals that call us "punks", "thugs" and "rogue outlaw bikers from the city" ( all documented in their group messages to one another). One resident had a "clothesline wire" setup at the entrance to his driveway, if you blew a turn you ran into it ( which one person did , just a little damage to the bike ) and we were confronted with a crazed woman in a truck that actually spit at us near gate 9.

One area we rode on Thursday and Friday before the event was the Blackgap Wildlife Mgmt area on the East side of the park. You just "pre-register " to ride there (12 bucks over the phone to TPWD) but it's worth every penny along with riding in BBNP itself.
A great ride down along the river, plenty of great scenery, and a fun ride across Marathon Road to get there ( you can get gas at the Stillwell Store )

have fun

WOW that stinks I have been holding onto my Dads 40 acres at Terlingua ranch so I can take my Daughter down there to ride like I did as a kid 22 years ago.

Rob

And if you own land in the T Ranch, in theory, there shouldn't be an issue with you riding on the ranch roads. However, as mentioned before, just keep a low profile.

WOW that stinks I have been holding onto my Dads 40 acres at Terlingua ranch so I can take my Daughter down there to ride like I did as a kid 22 years ago.

Rob

Well if you own land on the ranch then you do have a right to use the roads,
just watch out in that gate 9 area. ( the ride last week was authorized by the
property mgmt , some residents just didn't agree )

Here are the guidelines setup by POATRI:

http://www.poatri.org/images/sec II.pdf

-

Hope the hand gets better quickly for you Tim. Just out of curiosity, what was the surgery for?

Earthpilot,

Glad to hear that you guys had a good time in Terlingua and thanks again for letting us store our luggage in your cabin on Wednesday. Also, thanks for entertaining Dan on Tuesday night.........

413733419_Kb9EY-M.jpg

Earthpilot,

Glad to hear that you guys had a good time in Terlingua and thanks again for letting us store our luggage in your cabin on Wednesday. Also, thanks for entertaining Dan on Tuesday night.........

413733419_Kb9EY-M.jpg

I think it was you guys that entertained us! We had about 750 miles of riding
in between Weds - Sun. Had some interesting times and way too much fun!
That was some darn good cheese dip you left us !
I saw you guys loaded up and riding out early Thursday am, hope you had a safe ride back to OK - Good to meet the three of you!

I think it was you guys that entertained us! We had about 750 miles of riding
in between Weds - Sun. Had some interesting times and way too much fun!
That was some darn good cheese dip you left us !
I saw you guys loaded up and riding out early Thursday am, hope you had a safe ride back to OK - Good to meet the three of you!

I remembered that there was some entertaining going on....thought it was you guys .....glad you enjoyed the cheese dip. Have Larry e-mail me with a shipping address.......I have a pelican case I'll send him for his KLR.

Hope the hand gets better quickly for you Tim. Just out of curiosity, what was the surgery for?

Scott I tore the Ulnar Collateral Ligament. It is the ligament that keeps the thumb from stretching back to the forearm, as you can probably guess I tore it by stretching the thumb back to my forearm:lol2:

I really think that if I was on a 650R I would be bumping tires with Ingham and Kanton:trust: :rider:

NOT even in your dreams! :rofl: :rofl:

I'm just going to have to add a handle blank on the entry form for all y'all that do not sign your post :doh: or do not put your name in the rider profile :zen: in TWT. oldmxer I rode with you on Thursday :rider: & still not sure who your are. I thought the same thing as Greasemonkey. I checked everyone in & cannot put the name with a handle.

We are very glad that everyone had a good time. Thanks to our sponsors & all the Lost Trail Riders that made it a success.

See you November 20, 2009 for more :eat: :chug: :rider: :eat: :party: :rider: :rider:

Thanks again to all who made this ride possible.:clap: It was well worth the trip.:rider:

Here's a few random pics. IMO the singletrack was the best part of the ride.:thumb:

18881895.jpg

HPIM1878.jpg

HPIM1880.jpg

HPIM1884.jpg

HPIM1886.jpg

HPIM1887.jpg

HPIM1889.jpg

th_HPIM1893.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lost Trail Riders for made the ride happens.
Tim, Chuck, Scott, it was great to riding wih you guys!

My original message got an expression which was not really I tried to mean. Tim translated it for me as below;
" Yea, it felt alot better going down than it did coming back up.";-)

Here are some random photos I took.
Enjoyed the ride so much, and thanks a bunch for lost trail riders to make the ride happened!

DSCF3571.jpg

DSCF3593.jpg

DSCF3596.jpg

DSCF3611.jpg

DSCF3613.jpg

DSCF3615.jpg

DSCF3619.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg

DSCF3636.jpg

DSCF3643.jpg

DSCF3644.jpg

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3662.jpg

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3690.jpg

DSCF3704.jpg

DSCF3707.jpg

th_DSCF3680.jpg

Thanks!
Ken

I had a great time! Thanks to the Lost Trail Riders for setting it up AGAIN this year and all the sponsers for their support. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
My ride buddies :rider: made it even more memorable: Thumper (tim), Texas DR (ken) and Stingray (Scott). The after dark stories still make my head hurt and think the Tequila grip stayed with me during the next mornings ride. :eek2: Here's a few pics
Nov08081.jpg

Nov08082.jpg

Nov08085.jpg

Nov08088.jpg

Nov08089.jpg

Nov08083.jpg

That goes for me too !!
It has been too long since I have seen a lot of y'all, I wish I had more time to catch up with everyone.
I'll try to post some pics later, but I don't see how I can add anything to those already posted. Great job, guys.

Well, I guess I could add a thumbs up.
IMG_1356.jpg

-Chadley

Last edited:
Check out this cool picture of Thumper - looks tough !
untitled.jpg

Two first timers from Austin, having their best dirt ride ever !!
ffbvfvfvbf.jpg

CLC1.jpg

THANKS !!!
To the Lost Trail Riders, and EVERYONE who helped out and showed up to make this such a fun event. I had a great time !!

Last edited:
If there wasn't a thumbs up it wouldn't be you.

As always great pictures.The 650r with the fairing is a trick.
Think it's really some kind of nasa rocket project[way fast].
Lucky it sat still long enough to get the shot!!!!!

Who's the big dork on the 950 Adventure S? Must be me since I was the only one there on one. The others in the picture are JP (aka "Goldwinger") and SuperDave on the 690. Not pictured was SuperEnduro who rode up right after that on his 950 SE. This ride was a blast. I absolutely will be back next year, albeit with a stronger front rim.

After day two, that front wheel was not so round. At the gas stop, I pumped so much air into the front that it was fixin' to blow off the rim. Didn't matter. Chasing SuperDave's 690 through the rocks up and over the rocky pass was the highlight of Sunday's ride, but the Adventure was designed for Dakar, not Terlingua. 24 mph through the rocks + 500 lb bike = $600.00 custom made rock ready rim for next year. Fun factor? Priceless.

We'll see ya'll next year.

Who's the big dork on the 950 Adventure S? Must be me since I was the only one there on one. The others in the picture are JP (aka "Goldwinger") and SuperDave on the 690. Not pictured was SuperEnduro who rode up right after that on his 950 SE. This ride was a blast. I absolutely will be back next year, albeit with a stronger front rim.

After day two, that front wheel was not so round. At the gas stop, I pumped so much air into the front that it was fixin' to blow off the rim. Didn't matter. Chasing SuperDave's 690 through the rocks up and over the rocky pass was the highlight of Sunday's ride, but the Adventure was designed for Dakar, not Terlingua. 24 mph through the rocks + 500 lb bike = $600.00 custom made rock ready rim for next year. Fun factor? Priceless.

We'll see ya'll next year.

That's the Terlingua spirit......Glad you had a good time, we look forward to seeing y'all next year.

Back