• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sea Rim to High Island - Post Ike

Hoop

Reaction score
MXTaco48 and I made the Sea Rim to High Island ride today. This was the maiden voyage for his new XR650R. Here we are gassing up.

3069404792_b0c5bbdd77.jpg

Next stop was Sea Rim State Park. This is what’s left of the shelter. The dunes are gone too.

3069406206_14fe9e609f.jpg

Notice the water line. This is on Clam Lake Road.

3069407984_571780e376.jpg

There are a couple of huge washouts before the pavement disappears entirely. We rode through the first one. The second one we went around. Notice the skid marks.

3068574029_187b670d81.jpg

3069409492_94d4e8f165.jpg

Some of the beach didn’t look too bad.

3069412126_192863bef1.jpg

We hit a stretch of mud that must have lasted 5 miles. We did our best to dodge the worst of it.

3068577239_26f3450383.jpg

We ran a mud/dirt road that led from the beach to the intracoastal canal. My partner made it look easy. I was trying to keep the back tire from catching up with the front tire. Here comes a barge.

3068588561_26e80b716d.jpg

Honey, what did you do with that planter with the trees in it?

3068590013_1727365525.jpg

Again, we passed stretches were the beach looked pretty normal. Then we passed sections where there wasn’t much beach left at all.

3068591633_fdcd9f1d18.jpg

Somewhere along in here, I managed to snag a piece of wire fence with my toe of my left boot. The wire was connected to a fence post, and when it ran out of slack, it jerked the front of my foot down quickly, since the ball of my foot was on the peg, which resulted in me yelling out some obscenities. Trey was in out front, he didn’t hear anything. I moved my ankle and decided it wasn’t broken, so kept on riding. Could have been much worse.

We made it to High Island, passed a bunch of people fishing. All of them had clothes on, at least that we saw. Here are some dead cars on the side of the road just west of High Island.

3069430274_dda0ace5ec.jpg

The first houses we saw that were still standing.

3069432748_d54a196819.jpg

We decided to get off the beach, worried about getting a flat with all the debris.

3069433998_df9a5c5397.jpg

We ran on down past Rollover Pass, which is now back to a 2-lane bridge. Sorry no pics. Then we turned around and headed to Winnie for some lunch and gas. We had lunch at Papa’s Place (formerly Skip’s). It was decent. Then we meandered back to Beaumont. Hit a bridge out on Wilber Road and had to backtrack a few miles. I figured we could still make it across, but there was nothing left but a few piles. (sorry no pic) 178 miles for the day.

Dirty bike. The mud was really hard to get off. It doesn’t look that bad, but it was caked under the fenders. Thought about getting out my pressure washer (but didn’t).

3069437600_aeacf24308.jpg

That’s it. My ankle hurts, but I think it’s just a sprain. It’s starting to bruise and swell a little. Until next time.

Forgot to note that my friend Irishcoffee couldn't make it, we missed his lively banter. We had planned to go Friday, but the weather report was so bad, we waited until Saturday to go. Friday turned out to be a pretty nice day, except for a few passing showers. We had good weather today, it was windy, but the rain held off until we got home.

Good pics.

I wondered what happened to Sea Rim SP. Besides the buzzard-sized mosquitoes that was a neat place.

I did this trip on my "adventure" tourer, my 2002 Hayabusa, last year when I had to run an errand to Orange. On my return to Houston I went south to Port Arthur and, this being spur of the moment with no maps on hand, just rode southwest until I found the beach. It looked almost the same as these pics...short sections of road then wash out after wash out. Worst parts were where the beach ate the road and now the beach has large rocks of asphalt. After the first 2-3 miles of remaining good concrete near Sabine Pass, at no place could I ever open it up, until I hit the smooth beaches in high island. I got really scared once when I was riding on the smooth beach and it turned to absolute mush. Sank in to the axle. There was NO ONE around. Cell service non-existant. Luckily, hard packed wet sand was only 15 minutes of exhaustive pushing and 1st gear idling away. I only bottomed out on sand curbs twice, no rock damage, no flats, just had to give it a good spray once back in Houston. Took hwy 87 from Rollover to the Ferry, then slabbed it back home.

We lost our house family's 80 year old house in Caplen in the storm. We were 2 miles from Rollover. The only houses east of Crystal Beach that made it intact were new, with concrete piers, and set way back from the beach at extreme heights. It's a mess.

Good report Hoop,

It was a fun ride. I personally hate mud and riding in it. No damage done except for a flying handguard :doh: and a possible sprained ankle for Hoop.

The trip is different in my experience for the sloppiness of the beach. It used to be that a 4 door sedan could probably drive down that beach...not so now. Its not a technical ride but it tests you if you dont wanna get your butt dirty. Still we made it in good time and the electric fences are down now so you can probably explore a lil more than you used to. I wanna go back when it's dry down there.

Hoop is a good rider and I'm surprised how smooth he went through all that slop. I was all over the place just trying not be "That Guy" that fell in the mud :lol2:

I did this trip on my "adventure" tourer, my 2002 Hayabusa, last year when I had to run an errand to Orange. On my return to Houston I went south to Port Arthur and, this being spur of the moment with no maps on hand, just rode southwest until I found the beach. It looked almost the same as these pics...short sections of road then wash out after wash out. Worst parts were where the beach ate the road and now the beach has large rocks of asphalt. After the first 2-3 miles of remaining good concrete near Sabine Pass, at no place could I ever open it up, until I hit the smooth beaches in high island. I got really scared once when I was riding on the smooth beach and it turned to absolute mush. Sank in to the axle. There was NO ONE around. Cell service non-existant. Luckily, hard packed wet sand was only 15 minutes of exhaustive pushing and 1st gear idling away. I only bottomed out on sand curbs twice, no rock damage, no flats, just had to give it a good spray once back in Houston. Took hwy 87 from Rollover to the Ferry, then slabbed it back home.

We lost our house family's 80 year old house in Caplen in the storm. We were 2 miles from Rollover. The only houses east of Crystal Beach that made it intact were new, with concrete piers, and set way back from the beach at extreme heights. It's a mess.

i wouldnt recommend street tires....to each his own LOL

Sorry I couldn't make this one.

Flying back to Texas tomorrow. Been watching it snow up here and ready for warmer weather.

Hoop that was a cool report. I enjoyed the pics.

I have a long-term goal of someday riding from Mexico to Louisiana by staying on the beach as much as possible.

It always gets pushed back to "...maybe next year".

I hope no one was staying in that "shelter" at Sea Rim during the storm :eek2:

Not as easy as you would think....

Oh I know. I spent a lot of time researching it. I examined the Google satellite imagery of the whole Texas coastline.

There are a suprising number of cuts and rivers that would have to be circumnavigated, sometimes by going 30 miles inland. Then there is stuff like the Houston ship channel and restricted wildlife refuges.

It would be a lot more arduous expedition and take longer than I imagined. I still want to do it someday.

Sorry I couldn't make this one.

Flying back to Texas tomorrow. Been watching it snow up here and ready for warmer weather.

Made it back and I think the cold followed me back down here.

Anyway I am thinking of doing this run Sat or Sun myself. Anybody want to go?

While I missed out last weekend, this is what I ended up doing to my quad while at home.

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

Hoop,

I figured that I would carry on with this thread.

I made the run today by myself and it was a blast. Most of the mud was dried up and the trucks and jeeps are going all the way to High Island so there was some sort of trail and ruts to follow.

"Somewhere along in here, I managed to snag a piece of wire fence with my toe of my left boot. The wire was connected to a fence post, and when it ran out of slack, it jerked the front of my foot down quickly, since the ball of my foot was on the peg, which resulted in me yelling out some obscenities. Trey was in out front, he didn’t hear anything. I moved my ankle and decided it wasn’t broken, so kept on riding. Could have been much worse. "

Hoop, I found that wire you are talking about.

1207081259.jpg

1207081259b.jpg

It made for a sudden stop.

Good thing I always carry some channel locks in my tool bag.

I think next weekend I will ride this route again and carry my fence pliers and clean all the wire I find along the way. And let me tell you there is lots of it everywhere. So be careful if you ride this stretch. Just when you think it is clear you run into a ball of wire.

The beach was pretty clean in most places.

1207081318.jpg

and lots more of this.

1207081313a.jpg

This is something new, that wasn't there before

1207081313.jpg

Ran into a couple of people on the High Island end. Jeremy and Fritz. Was a pleasure meeting you guys.

I then turned around and rode the beach back to Sabine Pass.

Cool thread guys. I want to ride this one day too. I was wanting to take the rhino mainly for the muddy sections, but I think the KLR would do fine too.

Here's my rhino from last week in Crosby.

P1010159.jpg

If it rains this week like it is supposed to, it will be very muddy and fun in the Rino.

Maybe will need to take the truck out there and play around a little bit.

I was wanting to take the rhino mainly for the muddy sections, but I think the KLR would do fine too.

P1010159.jpg

Only legally licensed vehicles are allowed on Texas beaches. They are public highways. We were stopped by Texas Parks & Wildlife on one ride near High Island & checked out.

Sunday is looking good, 74 degrees.

may be open for Sat. I would like to take the time to clean up some wire while we run down.

Back