• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1998 miles - Big Bend, Guadalupe Peak, Roswell NM

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Clark
I spent 9 days exploring Big Bend NP, Guadalupe Mountains NP, Roswell NM, and everyting bewteen!

This is where I went:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...102.875977&sspn=4.227209,6.932373&ie=UTF8&z=6 (slow to load google map)

This is what I rode: (2007 ninja 250)
Dec2008016.jpg

Dec2008017.jpg

This is what I took with me:
Dec2008238.jpg

This set up may not look as minimalist as some of my previous rides, but I assure you it is! I camped out 5 out of the 8 nights. I cooked all but 4 meals. The temperature was a low of 17* to a high of 86*. I even camped in 3" of snow! Believe me, I needed everything I took with me!

Last edited:
Day one was a fast ride to Fort Stockton, TX. I didn't leave until 11:00 AM, as I refuse to ride when it is below 40*. Not many pictures to show. Just stopped twice for pee breaks. Gotta love empty roads!

Pee break one: (check out the windmills)
Dec2008021.jpg

Pee break two:
Dec2008026.jpg

The most excitement for the day was putting 4.902 gallons into my extremely dry 4.8 gallon tank in San Angelo. :eek2: I normally get 48MPG, but high speeds reduce this to 40MPG or so.

Dec2008024.jpg

I arrived in Fort Stockton just as it was getting dark, and had done 460 miles for the day (not bad for a late start!). I grabbed a cheep motel.

Last edited:
I didn't leave until 11:00 AM, as I refuse to ride when it is below 40*.

Yet you're doing a 2000-mile ride in December :doh: Or was this at some point earlier in the year? Either way, looking forward to reading about the rest of it! :rider:

In the morning I checked out Fort Stockton for an hour:

Dec2008032.jpg

Dec2008028.jpg

I spent the next 3 days in Big Bend National Park hiking and camping:

Dec2008038.jpg

Dec2008040.jpg

Does anyone know what this is???
Dec2008046.jpg

Dec2008050.jpg

Me, at the top of Lost Mine trail:
Dec2008063.jpg

I did 15 miles of gravel to hike the "Grapevine Hills trail"
Dec2008097.jpg

Dec2008129.jpg

Dec2008116.jpg

Dec2008122.jpg

My tent:
Dec2008118.jpg

I kept the cooking simple. Can't beat Spam Singles!!! I recommend the turkey over the mystery meat.

Dec2008073.jpg

Dec2008078.jpg

One pot cooking means coffee BEFORE spam:
Dec2008074.jpg

Bear box:
Dec2008075.jpg

Soaking up the sun:
Dec2008123.jpg

I had great weather the first 3 days. Daytime highs were 80's, and night time lows were 40's. This would soon change on my last night in Big Bend...stay tuned!

Yet you're doing a 2000-mile ride in December :doh: Or was this at some point earlier in the year? Either way, looking forward to reading about the rest of it! :rider:

Yep, the trip was December 5th - 13th.

I really enjoyed your recent report of Big Bend, and it helped me decide that I needed to go back again too! Thanks!

Keystone Light, SPAM, and Ramen Noodles - reminds me of college!

I am looking forward to the Guadalupe Peak part of your trip, since that's where I learned to ride in hurricane-force winds!!

Cheers,

Ben

My last morning in Big Bend, I had planed to head to the McDonald observatory. There was a star party planed that night, and I had missed out on it the last time I was in the area.

One quick phone call to my new Fiancée and I got a rainy forecast for everywhere but Big Bend Park.

Sorry ladies, as of last month I am officially off the market. For those interested, here is a pic of us on the trip where I popped the question. (Sonoma CA)
Novvaca2008192.jpg

After the I got the rainy forecast, I decided to not gamble on the star party that night, and enjoy the non rainy weather in Big Bend for another day.

I did leave the park to check out Terlingua, and for provisions. While out, I tried to eat at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe, but she was Klosed. ;-)

Dec2008100.jpg

Dec2008099.jpg

Dec2008098.jpg

I re-entered the park and went to the east side to hike boquillas canyon. On my way back to make camp in the basin the clouds looked a bit dark. It was quickly getting COLD too.

Hmm....wonder what the weather is like in the basin...
Dec2008134.jpg

That doens't look good...
Dec2008135.jpg

As I zoomed up the 7 mile road to the basin campground, it keeps getting colder with elevation. It starts raining, and then SNOWING! :rider: BRING IT ON!!!

Here is camp:
Dec2008136.jpg

Dec2008137.jpg

My 3 season tent :doh:
Dec2008139.jpg

Dec2008140.jpg

Dec2008141.jpg

Dec2008142.jpg

There were about 10 others camping that night, only one other tent camping. Everyone was out walking around talking to fellow campers. I did the same, and drank every cup of coffee that I was offered! It is funny the mood snow can put us Texans in! :mrgreen:

That night I made the .5 mile hike to the lodge for black berry cobbler and more coffee.
Dec2008145.jpg

After all that coffee I was in for a late night (caffeine and peeing). Here is my entertainment center in my tent that evening:
Dec2008146.jpg

I slept great that night. I stayed plenty warm in my sleeping bag, but I had to get up twice in the night to scrape the snow from my over weighted tent.

The next morning was beautiful!
Dec2008148.jpg

Dec2008149.jpg

Dec2008150.jpg

Dec2008154.jpg

Dec2008157.jpg

Dec2008152.jpg

Dec2008153.jpg

Dec2008237.jpg

Dec2008164.jpg

Dec2008173.jpg

Last edited:
Next time you have to do 170 from Study Butte to Presidio,,,,
Its one of the best roads in TEXAS,,, and I have been told its back open again.......anyway, Good read and good story,,,
Mike

This is getting me going. I am already antzy to head out.... Can't wait to get back to Big Bend. Great report so far, looking forward to the rest.

Great report, love the pics. Especially the ones camping in the snow. Love the way the mountains look with the snow on them.:clap: :clap: And to do it all on a 250 Ninja.:rider: :rider:
Marty

Gorgeous pictures of the snow in Big Bend.

Congratulations on your engagement. May you have a long, happy marriage.

That morning I was officially snowed in. The pass was closed until 12 noon. This was fine with me, as I had nowhere to be :zen: .

I spent the morning hiking the window trail, went to a ranager presentation about dinosaurs in the park, and took lots of pictures!

Dec2008236.jpg

Dec2008235.jpg

Dec2008159.jpg

Dec2008160.jpg

Dec2008162.jpg

I left the basin at around 2:00 PM. The road had been opened for 2 hours, the temp was around 50*, and I got a report that all was clear. This turned out to be true for cars...not motorcycles :eek2: . I did make it over the pass without incident, but there were 3 places that both wheels were on ice at the same time. The longest stretch was 30 feet. I kept things to about 2 MPH with no gas or brakes. There was no snow in the rest of the park (just the basin).

I had no destination, just north. I ended up in Fort Davis where I got a HUGE chicken fried steak and a warm bed. After four days hiking in the park without a taking a shower, I was in heaven. I highly recommend stopping to eat at Hotel Limpia for a meal.

(I only ate half :oops: but finished it for breakfast :trust: )
Dec2008175.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,

Great ride report! More living proof that small displacement engine bikes can do anything. As usual, very good writing style.

You cut your hair. Dude you are sooooooo establishment now! :rider:

Nice packing system. Still minimalist IMHO, but I like it better than your more Spartan approach on your last posted MEX ride. Tools for tire repair? How did your shocks & tires act on the gravel?

The Sex Lives of Cannibals is this a how-to-book for cannibals? What was their advice when it comes to oral sex? :rofl:

Mike

Last edited:
Beautiful report. Keep it happening. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Ya think we might get the rest of this before the slideshow is done? :trust:

Hotel limpia is not only a great place to eat, it's a great place to stay. If you take a room facing the pool, there's generous covered parking. Rooms are large high ceiling, and vary in size. We took a large party (pun?) of folks down there for my daughter's 21st in May and had an absolute ball. Great ride report, you're right in my backyard. You've made me seriously consider big bend for new years!

Another great ride report.

Does anyone know if the Boquillas crossing is still closed ? I had heard it was closed after 9/11.

Another great ride report.

Does anyone know if the Boquillas crossing is still closed ? I had heard it was closed after 9/11.

Closed tight. You can cross officially at Del Rio or Presidio. Nothing in between. There has been talk of opening the bridge at LaLinda, west of the park, but nothing yet . . .

Voni
no smile. so sad.

Closed tight. You can cross officially at Del Rio or Presidio. Nothing in between. There has been talk of opening the bridge at LaLinda, west of the park, but nothing yet . . .

Voni
no smile. so sad.

I'm pretty sure the crossing at Lake Amsitand is open, but I believe it does not open until 10:00a daily.

Mike

Back