• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tuesday ride and CAF flight museum tour (pics)

TWTim

Reaction score
I took a local ride yesterday afternoon and decided to stop by and visit the Confederate Airforce Museum headquarters at Midland International. I hadn't been there since my band played a benefit show in the main hangar during the summer of 2007, and I thought it'd be nice to just stroll through on my own, take my time, and take some simple snapshots.

A WWII-era glider:

glider1.jpg

Some pics from the walk-through C-54 display:

c54outer.jpg

c54cockpit.jpg

c54centercontrols.jpg

c54flapsmixsuperchargers.jpg

The C-54 in its prime:

c54.jpg

A scale replica of Fat Man (incorrect shutter speed):

fatmanreplica.jpg

A scale replica of Little Boy (incorrect shutter speed):

littleboyreplica.jpg

A 6-foot by 8-foot display showing an arial photo of the Nagasaki aftermath. This is only a section of it:

nagasakiaftermath.jpg

The Norden Bombsight:

nordenbombsight.jpg

An M3 I found in the weapons displays:

m3grease.jpg

50-cal, anyone?

50cal9yards.jpg

Some fantastic aviation art. The walls are covered with it:

The Dragon and His Tail

p40artflyingtigers.jpg

The hangar is a mess right now because of winter maintenance. The CAF, for those of you who may not know, keeps as many of its aircraft in flying condition as possible. The first thing I noticed was the looming figure of Fifi, the CAF's B-29 Superfortress. She hasn't flown in several years due to major mechanical and structural problems, IIRC, but the CAF is apparently working very hard to get her back into the air:

fifinoseprofile.jpg

fifinacellnumber1.jpg

fifienginenumber2.jpg

fifiheadon.jpg

Here's something you don't see anymore -- an airworthy T-33. Goodfellow used to fly these out of Mathis field in the early '80s, and I got to sit in one as a little kid while visiting family in San Angelo. Just seeing this thing in person and touching it brought back a lot of great memories:

t33close.jpg

t33wide.jpg

The Polikarpov I-16, the first warplane to utilize both a variable-pitch prop and retractable gear on a mono-wing:

polikarpovi16.jpg

The P-82 Twin Mustang. The CAF has owned this thing ever since they moved their headquarters to Midland in 1991, and in that time it has never been airworthy:

p82twinmustang.jpg

The detrioration of the metal on the aileron is representative of the general decay of the rest of the plane:

p82aileron.jpg

A fully restored Allison V-12:

allisonv12p39.jpg

The only flying C-46 Commando I know of is housed in Midland:

c46inhangar.jpg

Almost every airplane in the hangar is in some degree of teardown. This one was having an engine replaced:

engineoutfar.jpg

engineoutclose.jpg

A dichotomy in vertical stabilization:

verticalstabilizers.jpg

Nacelle art on the Junkers:

nacellart.jpg

A working cutaway of an R-1830:

r1830workingcutaway.jpg

Can you guess what this is? It's a pop-culture icon:

mashhelicopter.jpg

After touring the hangar, I went out into the warm sunshine and checked out the Viet Nam-era static displays. Dig the exhaust on the F-4 Phantom. You don't want to be in this vantagepoint during afterburn:

f4exhaust.jpg

This Huey has seen better days:

hueyinruins.jpg

Finally, a reminder that keeping these relics in the air occasionally extracts a price. The crash of the only airworthy B-26 Marauder in the world was national news in 1995. The bomber went down just south of Midland, killing its five crew members:

finalsalute.jpg

One last thing: As I was riding back into Midland, I kept seeing this weird contraption looming on the horizon from several miles away. Curious, I decided find the road that led to it and check it out. It hasn't been in place for very long, or I'd have noticed it. Can anybody tell me what this thing is?

whatisthisthing.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that first pic with a question is a Bell helicopter. The bubble canopy one (can't remember the designation at the moment).

The last pic you couldn't identify is a water tower in the process of construction, I think. Nice pics, Tim. I need to go out to the CAF museum one of these days.

I wonder if that is the P82 I saw fly back in 1987 down in Harlingen at the end of the year CAF airshow? They crash landed it. I think one of the landing gear would not come down so they came in real slow and low and stalled it into the ground. It took a pretty good beating, but was intact and the pilot and passenger were unhurt. In some box somewhere, I have pics I took of the event that include shots of the P82 hanging from the crane that carried it back to the hanger. I also saw FiFi fly at that show.

I wonder if that is the P82 I saw fly back in 1987 down in Harlingen at the end of the year CAF airshow? They crash landed it. I think one of the landing gear would not come down so they came in real slow and low and stalled it into the ground. It took a pretty good beating, but was intact and the pilot and passenger were unhurt. In some box somewhere, I have pics I took of the event that include shots of the P82 hanging from the crane that carried it back to the hanger. I also saw FiFi fly at that show.

It's the same one. It never flew again after that crash according to what I just dug up. You were one of the last to see it fly, Scott:

"The CAF's P-82B Twin Mustang (44-65162) was discovered at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, early in 1966. Mounted on a plinth, it was showing the effects of being exposed to the elements for the previous 15 years. After some negotiation with USAF, the big twin was donated to the CAF in May 1966 and it was taken the short distance to Kelly AFB, San Antonio. Here it was restored for the ferry flight to Harlingen that took place on January 31, 1969. Much of the following decade was spent rebuilding the Twin Mustang and it eventually appeared at CAF airshows again in the 1980s, now registered N12102. After a number of flights in 1987 that were plagued with engine problems, the P-82 stalled and made a crash landing at Harlingen on October 10, 1987. The rare fighter has not been able to fly again..."

"N12102 -- This Twin Mustang was built in 1944 and was donated to the CAF in 1966. The aircraft appeared at airshows in the 1980s after being restored to flying condition. On October 10, 1987 the aircraft made a crash landing at Harlingen, TX. Since then the aircraft hasn't been able to fly and it is currently located at the CAF headquartes in Midland, TX."

Last edited:
I believe that first pic with a question is a Bell helicopter. The bubble canopy one (can't remember the designation at the moment).

The last pic you couldn't identify is a water tower in the process of construction, I think. Nice pics, Tim. I need to go out to the CAF museum one of these days.

Au Contrair: It it obviously a stabalizing leg from a spacecraft!

Tim,

Great pictures and thanks for taking us along. I can't even tell you how many times I have flown in and out of Midland these past few years and each time I say I am going to hit up the museum as I drive past it to turn in my rental.

Not to hijack your thread, but heres another good one from a guy that visited his dad over the holiday who works/restores these old WWII birds and got to climb all over 'em one day. :link:

Thanks for the pictures. I could spend all day in a place like that. Speaking of flight museums.... Does anyone know how the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston faired? I haven't been there in a few years, but the wife recently said she'd be interested in going.

Great pics.

One last thing: As I was riding back into Midland, I kept seeing this weird contraption looming on the horizon from several miles away. Curious, I decided find the road that led to it and check it out. It hasn't been in place for very long, or I'd have noticed it. Can anybody tell me what this thing is?

whatisthisthing.jpg

That's a water tower. You build/weld the bowl from steel panels and I-beams on the ground and then you have to hoist the finished bowl up into position on its column.

Here's one in Allen TX:

3154379463_4a8a85f1a8.jpg

3155217964_f9ca954ed8.jpg

3154380629_1ea5979672_o.jpg

I need to get out there and the Chaparral exhibit at the Petroleum Museum out there sometime. We were in Midland Sunday and Monday visiting my wife's family and taking her dad shopping.

Not Well. However they were supposed to reopen around Thanksgiving but thier website does not show a recent update.

Thanks for the pictures. I could spend all day in a place like that. Speaking of flight museums.... Does anyone know how the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston faired? I haven't been there in a few years, but the wife recently said she'd be interested in going.

That's a water tower. You build/weld the bowl from steel panels and I-beams on the ground and then you have to hoist the finished bowl up into position on its column. Here's one in Allen TX:

Yeah, that's what we figured. It all makes sense now, because a new housing development is nearby.

Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

:tab Interesting that the crash reports say the P82 stalled and crashed. The stall was intentional to reduce speed as much as possible before they hit the ground since they were lacking one landing gear. I did not realize that was the last flight. That was 21 years ago :eek2: I was in my first semester at Texas A&M. Man... talk about things that make you feel old... :uhoh:

Ooof -- loud, bumpy, and uncomfortable I'd bet.
Yep, but at least we had actual seats. Much better than the slings hung from the sides when we flew Andersen to Yokota. And they had actual toilets, not a funnel on the wall with a hose to the outside. Try hitting a funnel when you're in turbulence.
:giveup:

That was 21 years ago :eek2: I was in my first semester at Texas A&M. Man... talk about things that make you feel old... :uhoh:

Yessir. Actually, it just goes to show that 21 years is the blink of an eye, and that even should we live to be 100, that's still not a very long life. Every day that you and yours are healthy and happy is definitely one to be savored.

Au Contrair: It it obviously a stabalizing leg from a spacecraft!

That was my first thought also but then I realized it was nowhere near Roswell, New Mexico or Winslow, Arizona. I could think of no reason for an alien space vehicle to want to land in west Texas.

I lived there for many years and couldn't think of any reasons to return until I saw your great pics.

Ah, actually the first picture with a question is .50 cal ammunition:biggun:

Back