• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas DS Ride 1-17/1-18-09

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
IMG_2115.jpg

I guess I will kick off the report thread here....

We had a great weekend, that is for certain. I enjoyed meeting folks from other parts of the state. A huge THANK YOU is due to thumper , Trailace, and anyone else that had a hand in planning, executing, leading, researching, or anything at all in making this ride come together.

IMG_2100.jpg

I have several pictures, this is just a small start...... I am kinda tired and my XR is kinda broken. Had to ride that last twenty or so miles in fourth, then third gear. Made for some interesting stops and starts.

One last picture by special request.......

For ridingmyklr.......

IMG_2101.jpg

:nana:

Last edited:
There is a back story to this... ask me when I see you next.;-)

Well, this was my first off-road riding in about 27 years, and it was a blast :clap: !!! We could not have asked for better weather, and the accommodations at the Pendleton Marina were decent. Big thanks to Tim for putting this together, and to all the riders that showed up to make it possible. I met some great folks today, and only wished I could have had the opportunity to talk to some more of you guys. Really big thanks to Rick (Trailace) our group leader. Rick, great job of keeping us on pace, taking the time for breaks, helping out with not one, but two tire repairs, and for allowing me to keep up with you :rider: . I can definitely say that I'm hooked, and look forward to riding with yous guys again. Hope everyone made it home safe.

Man what a great ride. Let see a big thanks to Tim for taking point on the planning and set up. Great job Tim.:clap:

The weather was just right for riding and camping. Met a lot of new riders and can't wait to ride with them again. Hope everyone made it home OK and hope to do it again real soon.

Rob (TX-SM) It was a pleasure to ride with ya next time you can take the lead and not eat so much dust. :lol2:

Josh hope your feeling OK and for your first real dirt ride you did great.

I will post some pic's later but spent the last 4 hours trying to get this computer to work. :doh:

What a great weekend. I have done all three of these rides and each one has been a blast.

Getting ready to leave Moscow:

Trailace on Danny Roth's Bridge:

A real scary miss-shot:

What a difference a few months makes:

From the fall ride:

Yesterday:

Somewhere off Nine Mile Road:

State number 2:

Saturday night chow:

Back at the ranch:

Piglet's DR pretending its a Harley:

On the way home:

The "Hondamatic" on the home stretch:

Back in Moscow:

Until next time:thumb:

a definitive thank you to all those who helped organize, lead, and other wise keep this trip together. It was fun and for all of you who I didn't get to have a conversation with I'm sure I will on a trip sometime soon. I brought the wrong camera with me so no pics for me.:doh:

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work putting on the ride, it was a blast. I've had the KLR for about a year and have found what it's good for. Can't wait to ride again with TWT, many thanks. ONECAN, Jimmy Wankan, Mlffitt, Texas.

Did you end up running the route in reverse?

We ran it reverse. I can't vouch for anyone else, but I liked having the long day on Saturday a lot better.

Forgot to mention I only had one real pucker moment for the weekend. That was when a big doe ran across a narrow dirt road about 30 feet in front of me. We were running around 50-55mph when it happened. Good thing the doe was on dead run:eek2:

Ed, what happened to the XR?

Ed will have to give the details after he gets to inspect it.

The short version is, Ed started having trouble shifting, and then the XR stuck in one gear (I believe 4th). He broke off the shift lever while hammering with his foot to try to get it to shift. Luckly we were only about 20 miles from the Moscow at the time.

Ed, what happened to the XR?

Shifting problem. It started missing shifts early in the day, then about 20 or so miles from the end it stuck in fourth gear. That made for some interesting starts from stop signs, and for some exciting handling of obstacles like mud holes on the dirt roads. I got it to downshift to third, then the lever broke off.

I am hoping that the failed lever was causing the missed shifts from flexing since I was not hammering it. It made it to the end, just limited me to 40MPH or so cruising. The countershaft seal is weaping, so I will be replacing that too.

Starting a 250 in fourth gear is a wild mix of clutch slipping, followed by dumping it and spinning the back tire. Easier on dirt than asphalt by the way!

Uh oh... my only experience with that sort of thing on an XR is when my shift fork broke off the shaft on my old XR500.

Not fun, the cases had to be split to get at the parts in question. Lemme know when it's project time on the old XR. I'd be up for helping out.

Thanks to all who organized this ride!!I had a great time--met some new friends and saw a lot of trails.this is my first dr650 and i've been riding about a year,so this trip was new to me.Look foward to seeing all of you in the near future!!!
Thanks Again,
czman01 tom sturdivant lufkin,tx:rider:

Doug and I send many thanks to Tim and everyone who helped with this ride. We had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

It was great meeting everyone on the ride. A great group of people, everyone helped when someone had problems, what ever they were. We had three groups and all three groups had some type of problem. No one was hurt to bad and everyone made it to the trucks. (That is a great trip!) I hope everyone had a safe trip home.

I am bad on names just I like other people, but I do remember faces. It will get better when we ride together again. Maybe it would help if we could all put a little more info in our profile, a picture of yourself with your bike or bikes, family and your name. I think you can put 2 pictures. Just a thought.

Thanks to all, ride safe and have fun. Calvin

Big thanks go out to Thumper for setting this one up.

Was good to meet so many different people and get the chance to ride with everyone. Can't wait until the next ride.

There was a little mix up with the routes in reverse, but l also like the idea of doing the longer ride on the 1st day and then the shorter one back to Moscow. But the mixups were taken care of on the fly.

I thought the dinner was very good and thanks to the ladys at the marina that checked us in. Quick and polite. Really enjoyed the place.

For the ones that didn't show or go, you missed the best ride yet in my mind. Wasn't muddy or dust. I know you all are sitting here reading the replies and thinking I should have went. Well we wish you were there with us too.

Until next time. Ride safe:rider:

Rich: How do you put more that 5 pictures, larger and without thumbnails? Notice my pictures.

Thanks

You have to host the pictures at another site like Photobucket, Smugmug, Webshots etc. Then you link the photos to the post at TWT.

Have to say I had a blast even though I had to fix 2 flats! :lol2: Thanks again Tim. :clap:

I just happened to park in the same spot as the Harley that just left. It's a Suzuki, it burns oil, it doesn't leak it.

Glad everyone had a great time.:thumb: The weather was perfect which made for two really nice days of blasting through the woods. I'm also glad Pendelton turned out okay. As for the routes, something happened when we inverted them. A mysterious loop around Cherino appeared on the three GPS's in the main pack.:scratch: Still it was fun even with the guess work. And the bypasses...hmm...three new ones that don't work!:lol2: Just part of doing it.:roll: The beginning of the 103 [ at Albie's first flat] was great. I just don't know what happened with the rest of it.

A big thanks to Kenny for helping to keep riders together and thanks also to Calvin and Doug for getting a... hmm... what was that thing?... oh yeah, a KTM back to the trucks.:lol2:

I'll post the pics I have tonite. Wish I would've took more, but I was too busy jacking with my GPS issues. Which btw turned out to be entirely my own fault.:argh:

Last edited:
Here are the rest of my pictures. Took fewer than usual for me.
Lots of super clean bikes at the start, and well equipped.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

Can you say 'mud ruts'??

I understand that this section was very sloppy on the first trip. It was plain fun on this one.

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

How did we come through that so clean???
IMG_2117.jpg

And of course the close up of my shifting troubles. I will be working on this tonight trying to determine if the lever was the root of my trouble, or if I will be splitting cases.

IMG_2120.jpg

Had a great time, could not stop grinning yesterday. Still grinning thinking about the ride.

Back