• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[DFW] Tire Changing 101 - Jan 24th

Thanks Bill for hosting that. I learned a lot.

Ed, thanks for helping me change out tires and tubes for my DR. When I put the wheels on last night and rolled it around the garage the back was flat. I thought I had pinched a tube but it turns out I had not installed the valve core tight enough, easy fix. It is quite a bit more work changing the tubes and tires than I thought. It would be tough by yourself on a trail but I think I could do it now if I had to.

I really enjoy these tech days, I learn quite a bit. If you do it again I would like to check out your tire changing machine, I was in the tube section all day.

Bill and Rachel,

Thanks again for hosting this and your hospitality. :clap: :clap: I had a great time even if I was feeling a little under the weather. But that may have been a good thing.......the brisket made it to the person behind me.:mrgreen:

I learned a lot about tire changeing and carbs from Bill and ED29. Also learned some new tricks for lifting/jacking the DR thanks to ED29.

The rejet did not go as easy as one would hope (easy out needed) but ED29 saved the day with an extra hex screw he had. Now I just need to fine tune.

PS
Bill, my stomach will be ready for your eyes next time. :doh: :giveup: :rofl:

Another great Bill event. Thank You.

A few photos I snapped during the day.

IMG_4861.jpg

Would you look at that. The inside of a scooter tire looks the exactly the same as the inside of my Strom tires

IMG_4864.jpg

Captain Chuck arrives for duty. Already in his zen tire balancing place

IMG_4867.jpg

At least they did get me to hold an umbrella

IMG_4870.jpg

Can we go to Red River now ?

IMG_4872.jpg

Can we go to the track now ?

A great time! Hopefully there will be more to come before June. Amanda was sorry she didn't go. I guess I failed to fully explain what it was. She was really glad to see the several pictures of Celeste (little girl in pink) I was proud as can be that she was teaching Ed to wrench on his bike :thumb: Seriously though, thanks a ton Ed, she couldnt stop talking about you yesterday or today.

WOW! looks like a great turnout.
wish I could have made it.

so when is the tire tour coming to Houston? maybe some of the Houston crew can come over and show me some of the tips they picked up.
I've got some deer sausage in the freezer :trust:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: to Bill for hosting the event

Thanks Bill. I had a great time and even learned a few things too. I'm just sorry I had to leave to go to work. A pox on whoever invented the Blackberry!!!

Kudos and mega dittos to Bill and Rachel for hosting this event! This was a great idea and you deserve many thanks for putting up with all of us. I was surprised at the turnout- but, I should have known. Learned a lot form Bill and Ed. Thanks guys!

Stan

Already forgetting part of this Bill.

When installing the first part of the new tire and see it needing assist with the HF bar, do you put the rim of the tire on the bar as you would when installing the second part of the bead or do you just run the bar around the rim to get the tire bead over the wheel?

I will probably figure it out when I do it easier to do it right the first time.

I will be happy to set fire to your rear tire on Wednesday night.

thanks but I think I'll pass on that one :lol2:
but if you really want to set a tire on fire I'll bring an old set taking up space in the garage

Already forgetting part of this Bill.

When installing the first part of the new tire and see it needing assist with the HF bar, do you put the rim of the tire on the bar as you would when installing the second part of the bead or do you just run the bar around the rim to get the tire bead over the wheel?

I will probably figure it out when I do it easier to do it right the first time.

On the first bead, you set it on the bar just as if you were doing the second bead. It must stay seated on the mount bar "shoe" in order to work right.

If anyone local has a digital video cam and wants to film this, we could still do that and then post it up on Youtube so everyone can see it.

I've got a little digital video cam. Uses SD cards. You're free to use it if you find an operator. I'm pretty busy until next week, and then only a week free.

Looks like it was a great party with a good turnout!

What I want to know is if Bill played his "eye ball popping, make your ears bleed, brain shrinking" music???? :eek2: :brainsnap :help: :loco: :nono:

I've got a little digital video cam. Uses SD cards. You're free to use it if you find an operator. I'm pretty busy until next week, and then only a week free.

:trust: I've done my share of proper camera operates...

BTW, thanks again for helping me with my ninja headlight. I still haven't checked to see if it works :doh:

On the first bead, you set it on the bar just as if you were doing the second bead. It must stay seated on the mount bar "shoe" in order to work right.

If anyone local has a digital video cam and wants to film this, we could still do that and then post it up on Youtube so everyone can see it.

Got it! Thanks

Looks like a good time and a good service to those who needed to learn a thing or two. Kinda looks like there was a tip or two for when you're not in the garage with your preferred tools. I've only used the kickstand bead breaker ONCE. The heel of a MX boot doesn't always work, especially on a stiff desert tire. Good job putting it together.

Zactly Bob! On most of the tube tires we used our actual trail tools as much as possible. We did use the ring stand to keep rotors and sprockets off of the ground though. It is always good to use the trail tools at least once in the controlled environment to get confidence that you have the right tools in the bag.

It is always good to use the trail tools at least once in the controlled environment to get confidence that you have the right tools in the bag.
For that reason, I decided against buying the MX narrow wheel specific attachment for my NoMar rig as a way to force myself to remain capable on the trail.

After a little shopping today.

Bill, did you replace the entire hose or cut off the end and use fittings such as in the photo to adapt a tire chuck valve.

DSCN8352.jpg

Bill, did you replace the entire hose or cut off the end and use fittings such as in the photo to adapt a tire chuck valve.

Neither one. On the model I bought I just had to unscrew the end piece and then screw one that I had laying around the garage onto it's place. I am here at work, so your pic doesn't show up. But once I get home and have some free time I'll check it out.

I took a better photo of the hose so when you get home, take a look. The end on mine look to be crimped.

DSCN8355.jpg

I need to get my front tire balanced. Seems I shoulda showed up.

Back