• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galveston Bay Loop - Part 1

Reaction score
It has been a few weeks since I had taken the Ghost on any ride. While most of my gear keeps me nice and warm even in the high 30's, the weak point remained my feet. They would become cold despite wearing wool skiing socks. However, I found that the Bates uniform boot company also has a set of boots in waterproof form. So I got some at Academy, and naturally I had to try them out. The last long ride I did was my trip to Fayetteville, so another one was overdue. Since it had been almost 5 months since hurricane Ike came to the upper Texas coast, I became curious as to what progress had been made on the coast. Thus the loop around Galveston Bay was born.

The route:
maps

Breakfast

GalvestonBayLoop01.jpg

Mileage log set

GalvestonBayLoop02.jpg

Ready to ride :rider:

GalvestonBayLoop03.jpg

The Best! Open road, all to yourself :clap: FM 321 north of Dayton

GalvestonBayLoop04.jpg

Cool church message in Liberty

GalvestonBayLoop05.jpg

Trees down in Anahuac

GalvestonBayLoop06.jpg

The real Tonka truck

GalvestonBayLoop07.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop08.jpg

Oak Island. This area in on the eastern shore of Galveston Bay, and suffered a lot of devastation. First, from the wind and then the storm surge. And this was "only" a Category 2 hurricane

GalvestonBayLoop09.jpg

East of Oak Island.

GalvestonBayLoop10.jpg

There are a lot of work crews there though, cleaning up debris. But still a lot left to do.

Galveston Bay Loop - Part 2

Open fields north of High Island. Hard to see of the image, but there appeared to be a massive wildfire near Smith Point.

GalvestonBayLoop11.jpg

But then I also noticed the large swaths of burned area in the fields around this area. I presume that the amount of vegetative debris left was so massive, that it is just easier to burn it on site.

What is left of an 18-wheeler trailer frame. Wow!

GalvestonBayLoop12.jpg

A bit of beach riding south of High Island :rider:

GalvestonBayLoop13.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop14.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop15.jpg

Hhhmmm, it appears the oil pressure switch is going south :doh:

GalvestonBayLoop16.jpg

Just a perfect day to ride......

GalvestonBayLoop17.jpg

....but sobering with what awaited me. There used to be dunes on both sides of Hgihway 87. If the water was not there, you'd feel youre riding in a desert.

GalvestonBayLoop18.jpg

Gilchrist. Here the eye of Ike made landfall.

GalvestonBayLoop19.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop20.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop21.jpg

A sign that reflects on happier times here.....

GalvestonBayLoop22.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop23.jpg

Remember this image from the news?

img.344027_t.jpg

That is this house.

GalvestonBayLoop24.jpg

The people that own it built it to hurricane-strength specifications. They still live there and they had it decorated with christmas lights during the holidays.

An interesting, but logical observation: The majority of coastline houses in Crystal Beach (2 miles west of Gilchrist) are still standing. Major damage and debris there, as well. But still standing. Illustration that the east wall of the storm is the "dirty" side (as is more powerful).

Galveston Bay Loop - Part 3

"New" landmark at the Bolivar ferry landing

GalvestonBayLoop25.jpg

On the ferry towards Galveston

GalvestonBayLoop26.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop27.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop28.jpg

GalvestonBayLoop29.jpg

More big trucks. These are probably destined towards Iraq?

GalvestonBayLoop30.jpg

Galveston Strand. Mostly cleaned up and some businesses open again. The Harborwalk is all open, too.

This is on Tremont street (call it the Tremont Trumpet perhaps ;-) )

GalvestonBayLoop31.jpg

Old spin on hybrid vehicle :clap:

GalvestonBayLoop32.jpg

Thay are busy rebuilding the beaches at the Seawall. Mainly intended to shore up and protect the foundation, it also is a major tourist draw. In fact, Galveston was teeming with people and traffic and most of the landside houses and businesses appear intact and open.

GalvestonBayLoop33.jpg

THis has become a contentious issue there though. Boats on land. The city is making the property owners responsible for removal of these boats. Wouldn't you think of tracking the boat owners via the registration on the boat? Shouldn't they be made responsible? Interesting advertisement for this business though, they actually rent boats :-P

GalvestonBayLoop34.jpg

It was mid-afternoon when i left Galveston. So up north again via Kemah (where the Boardwalk has been virtually rebuilt and little remains of the devastation that was left after Ike), then through Baytown, Crosby, Huffman, New Caney. It was 615 pm as I neared Conroe, thus I simply continued on to Montgomery for the TWT Thursday night bike night.

It had been awhile since I made the last one, so Mike was all choked up to see me ;-)

GalvestonBayLoop35.jpg

The gang :clap: Had a great time, as always.

GalvestonBayLoop36.jpg

The day's tally.

GalvestonBayLoop37.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the virtual ride-along :rider: And the boots? They are excellent. Feet warm. Very comfortable.

Great post and photos, good to see you last night.

Thanks for the report and pics. I have been wanting to make a trip to Galveston, but didn't know if was "advisable" or not. But, hey, if they are getting back on their feet and back in business, I'll be glad to go spend some dollars down there.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how Galveston was coming along. I run from Forked Island, La to Port Arthur, Tx yesterday along the beach road. Lots of road side repair happening on 82 in the White Lake area. One gas station open in Cameron. Still a lot of abandon homes from Rita much less Ike. Dang South wind was chilly! Amazing, the power of a hurricane.

Back