• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Borrowed time, borrowed bike, but the ramps are mine.

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
So Craig (Equipmentjunkie) was gracious enough to let me keep his DRZ400sm company while he's in Big Bend.
First Let me say this is a FUN bike! I will add that I do not think any bike is evil, this one (or motards in general) seem to bring out the evil in the rider :twisted:.
I'm not the type that does wheelies, and certainly wouldn't do them on someone else's bike, but I can't seem to shake the thought. Not to mention the thoughts of doing other stuff Johnny Law would frown upon, or ticket you for.

I also don't really have much experience on this type of bike, my dirt experience is limited to cow pastures when I was i high school. Though after several demo rides on different styles of bikes, I've come to realize that this "style" of riding is my favorite. Tall, upright, feet under you, wide bars, and flick ability!

Specifically in the DRZ's case, its a light fun package. I feel more confident in the turns and have more fun in the turns than on my SV. The lack of top speed isn't an issue as long as you stay off I-10, and I seem to be having more fun at lower speeds. However I kept looking for the 6th gear that wasn't there. All in all a GREAT and FUN little bike, though it's lack if highway ability makes it a great 2nd bike, and a not so great only bike.

Today I had some time to kill and took off down my usual route when don't have all day: part of 1093 and 1458 (racer road). I also explored two roads off 1458, 3318 being one of them and the spot that the fun ended.
After my stop for some pics at the Stephen F Autsin park and staue thing and under the brige, I decided to see what was down 3318, about two or three miles down I picked up a nail :miffed: :headbang:. This was about 2:30, the wife got off at 3:30 got the truck and came and got me, so all in all I was stranded about 2 1/2 hours. Though I can't say the time was completely wasted, as it was absolutely gorgeous outside today, breezy, sunny and cool. So I actually kind of enjoyed sitting out there, with only myself to keep me company. I took some pics while I was out, enjoy!

Oh and Craig, I'm going to put in a new tube tomorrow, sorry. And thanks again for letting me test out the DRZ! :clap:

I told you super moto's weren't evil, it's trying to go to church, they just won't let him in.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Stephen F Austin stuff

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

and where I was waiting. Some really nice old farmer guy stopped to see if I was ok. I told him the wife was on her way. he sugested I get off the road, the people drive crazy down that way, and he said they're often half drunk. He wasn't kidding, judging by the speeds at which people passed me, the limit on the road was somewhere between 50 mph and 100 mph :eek2:

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

the nail :angryfire :miffed: :headbang: :rant:

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

and the rescue truck

DSC_0036.jpg

changed the tube today

Man I love this thing!

Jason,

Glad you're enjoying the bike! I've had her up to about 95 mph indicated (I'm sure the speedo is "optomistic" to say the least...) She's a little buzzy and "skitterish" at that speed. My favorite ride on that bike out of our weekend place in Wimberley is Fulton Ranch Road. Very little auto traffice, tight twisty hairpins with long straights, fun little "dips" where you can catch some air! Nice! Anyway, enjoy the ride. I'll catch up with you in the next week or so.

Craig aka equipment junkie

Jason,

Glad you're enjoying the bike! I've had her up to about 95 mph indicated (I'm sure the speedo is "optomistic" to say the least...) She's a little buzzy and "skitterish" at that speed. My favorite ride on that bike out of our weekend place in Wimberley is Fulton Ranch Road. Very little auto traffice, tight twisty hairpins with long straights, fun little "dips" where you can catch some air! Nice! Anyway, enjoy the ride. I'll catch up with you in the next week or so.

Man thanks again! :clap: This thing is great! It makes me grin ear to ear the entire time i ride it. :mrgreen:

and yeah I've had her up to about 75 and shes a little buzzy. highway tourer she is not, but what she lacks in touring ability she makes up double in fun factor

Craig, he isn't kidding; we could see his smile before he ever pulled the helmet off Wednesday night.

That'd probably be about right...:lol2: 9 or 10% optomistic...hard to tell when you're whipping down Fulton Ranch Road, bouncing over "jumps", dodging cows and buzzards (don't ask) and grabbing big handfulls of brake for hairpin turns:rider:

That old farmer was not Grampa Fred or he would have loaded you up and taken you home to fix it. He was a Ford mech for years in Bellville before he became Police Cheif of San Felipe, and still gets joy at 92 of solving mechanical problems.

Hey Equipment Junkie, Fulton Ranch Road is a hoot, I have a fantastic road for catching air close to Bulverde for your DRZ, It has about 4 miles of really neat sharp valleys and rises that you can catch air on with ease. I have gotten about a foot of air on the ZRX quite often. Also another good one over close to Blanco

Budzrex,

Sounds like we need to do some riding! I'll be up in Wimberley this weekend (heading up to Hico for pie on Saturday). Send a PM with some contact info and we'll ride at some point when you have time - I'll buy breakfast! Allways looking for new roads!:rider:

Works for me, I am heading over to Bryan CS on Saturday instead
of the pie run as I have a ZRX member that is moving to Florida and
we are going to eat lunch with him before he departs

sometimes thats just part of the adventure!! i think its really cool that Craig let you have some fun on his bike. not many people like that floating around anymore.:clap: nice pics...

Looks like a good time. 97mph indicated is what I saw on the DRZ on my daily commute...sometimes. :D

It's definitely a fun bike, but as you've seen, it's tough having it as your only bike. If you can add one to the garage...and I will one day...I'd highly recommend it. You should try it on the track. You think the SV exudes confidence, that thing is marvelous. Too bad I never got to try it with anything but the stock tires.

As for the church pic proving it's not evil. It was just waiting for you to let it do a burnout on the porch! :rofl:

Back