• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A ride in Peru to eat “Cuy”

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Clark
When I travel, I think it is important to dive right into the place and experience all it has to offer. This includes traveling like the locals do, going where the locals go, and eating what the locals eat*!

*If you take offence to eating something that is considered to be a pet here in the USA, then quit reading.

I traveled Peru this January. This was not a motorcycle trip, but I did manage to rent a motorcycle for an afternoon. I went on a guided trip with http://www.perumotorcycletours.com/, and had a blast. This agency has many tours available, and is very affordable.

Here is my guide Wilber “Chino”…I forgot to ask him about his nickname. At 5’ tall, his bike of choice to guide on was a Honda 650 XR (a very tall dual sport). It was hilarious to watch him at traffic lights. He would use the curb to put his foot down if available. When there was no curb he would put his left foot down with his right calf resting on the seat with his foot in the air.

Peru371-1-1.jpg

Here is the bike I rented. It is a Honda Falcon – 400. The bike was extremely user friendly and comfy. It was my first dual sport to ride, as well as my first big single cylinder. It had tons of torque, and was somewhat peppy. The suspension was super squishy, like most dual sports I assume.

Peru363.jpg

My tour focused on scenic roads, historic churches, and of course…LUNCH! There are tons of ruins to be seen as well, but after you have spent 3 days solid touring ruins, you need a break!

Here are a few pics from the journey:

The landscape north of Cusco. The rental came with decent protective gear too:
Peru365.jpg

Jesus overlooking Cusco:
Peru367.jpg

I found his eyes a bit strange…
Peru368.jpg

The bikes:
Peru373.jpg

ME!
Peru374.jpg

Peru378.jpg

A church:
Peru376.jpg

Finally it was lunch time. Our destination was Tipon, Peru. This town is famous for its Cuy al Horno. Cuy were first domesticated in the Andies, and were usually reserved for ceremonial meals. Now it is a delicacy and is eaten by anyone who can afford it. Cuy require less room than cows, reproduce quickly, and can be raised free range in your kitchen. It is also low in fat, and high in protein.

For those who haven’t figured it out, a cuy is a guinea pig. Peruvians consume 65 million of them per year.

Peru389.jpg

Peru391.jpg

Peru388.jpg

I treated my guide to one as well. He was ecstatic, as he only eats cuy three or four times per year. At $6 each, the meals were a bit pricy by Peruvian standards, but not terribly expensive. He was a pro at eating them…me not so much. I tried my best, but it was hard to find the meat. When I called it quits, I had left a mess. My guide however only left bones.

Peru381.jpg

Peru382.jpg

Peru385.jpg

The saying “Tastes like chicken” didn’t apply here. I have never had rabbit, but it is supposed to be similar. I have had squirrel, and it is close, but not the same.

If you are ever in Peru, I highly recomend trying it. Thanks for reading along!

-Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going.
~ Paul Theroux ~

Nice write up. Glad you had a good trip.
As long as it tastes good and wasn't people, I'll eat it. You can give extra culinary details at the next RTE.

JEFF!!! OMG! :)

Looks like you had a great time. How'd you like that 400?

p.s. I'd eat it. :-P

For those who haven’t figured it out, a cuy is a guinea pig. Peruvians consume 65 million of them per year.

Suddenly the South Park episode about Peruvian flute bands protecting the world from giant guinea pigs makes complete sense!

I have to admit, it's a little disturbing that it looks like it's smiling. Or is it laughing?

:lol2:

........and what is the green stuff on it's belly? Is it herbs or stuffing type of stuff?

Maybe it's their 11 herbs and spices.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They boil 'em, pluck 'em, stuff 'em, and bake 'em! The stuffing is a herb. My guide said it was good for digestion. :lol2:

Ryan - The Honda Falcon was easy to ride, but not exactly exciting. The steering geometry made for fast turning. The riding position was very standard, more so than my Honda Nighthawk. The power curve was huge, but didn't seem to have a peak...and power was less than my Ninja 250. A fun ride, but if sold here I wouldn't want one. I bet the dual sport fans would like it, but probably not a KLR killer.

Thanks for the comments!

Jeff,
Great report!! I don't know about the "Cuy", I am afraid I would have to pass and try something else.
Marty

Cool trip report. For me, things are easier to eat when they don't have a head still. I would feel like it was looking at me the whole time. :eek2:

That's awesome. I'd eat anything with meat on it. (except for people. I don't plan on being trapped on a frozen mountain)

I'll have to try that sometime. I love me some squirrel.

Awesome pics! I particuarlly liked your very important disclaimer

I prefer my cuy deep fried like I had it in Caraz (up in the north andes)

It was nicely fried then covered in a spicey sauce. It was the only spicey food I had in South America

Back