• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cost Rica 2009

P1010182.jpg

P1010181.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of Lake Arenal. I finally got a little break from the rain. These were taken at a beautiful coffee shop along the way. The people there were nice enough to let me in even though I was soaking wet. The owner did request I take a corner table though.

P1010181.jpg

P1010185.jpg

I then made my way to Grecia where I stayed for my last night on the trail with the Yamaha. Grecia was a nice place, but much more bustling and noisy than Tilaran. The hotel I stayed in was very nice and clean for 40usd. It had a indoor parking garage below the hotel rooms. It also came with breakfast included. I went out the following morning just to look around and it seems there are alot of expats living here.

I messed up on the photos,,lets try again. Here is the church in Grecia and a shot of the inside of the hotel.

P1010183.jpg

P1010185.jpg

So after leaving out of Grecia, it was time to head back. The ride from Grecia to San Jose I was told was about 40minutes. According to the map, all I needed to do was make a straight shot from the interamerican hwy to Paseo Colon where the motorcycle rental place was. Of course its never that easy. Once i arrived in San Jose, I battled the traffic and congestion. This makes it hard to look for turn offs when you are constantly having to watch 360 degrees around you. After approximately 30mins of looking and stopping to ask directions, I finally made it back. One more full day in San Jose gave me time enough to buy souvenirs for everyone and hang out with the retired Gringos at Mcdonalds near Plaza de Cultura. What a fun group,,,not!!! Not quite my idea of retirement in Costa Rica. I think the Canadians that hang out along the beaches have a better plan. Well its back home to the grind. The end.

GetAttachment1.jpg

It looks like you did the route I am planning but in the opposite direction. Any advice or comments on the rental company? Did you get a chance to look at the DR650s???

Thanks for sharing your trip. I will reciprocate in a few weeks.

-Fletch

...The fruit looks like a small orange, but has the taste of a lemon. Maybe Mike can enlighten us as to what it is.

It's called "cas". It used in a drink called "jugo de cas". Only found in Costa Rica. It's kinda like lemonade. I love it. It's all I drink when I am down there.

...I then made my way to Grecia where I stayed for my last night on the trail with the Yamaha. Grecia was a nice place, but much more bustling and noisy than Tilaran. The hotel...I went out the following morning just to look around and it seems there are alot of expats living here.

Not good! The hotel must be a fairly new operation. Grecia used to pride itself on not having a hotel. Sorry to here the expats have made it up there. I was through there just a few years ago and there wasn't an expat in site. They must be migrating up from Alajuela now that they have completely trashed the place! It's like parasites.

...Here is the church in Grecia and a shot of the inside of the hotel.
P1010183.jpg

What is with all the construction? Is the park also torn up? Did you look at the woodwork inside the church?

...and hang out with the retired Gringos at Mcdonalds near Plaza de Cultura. What a fun group,,,not!!!
Lot of ugly Americans/Canadians living down there now, especially retired single men, or men who have run out on their wives in the US & Canada. "Pure Hemingway trash" is what I call them. The secret got out and the place got ruined. Mostly limited to the main cities. I hope Grecia is not going the way of the others.

Last edited:
:popcorn: I'm enjoying your trip. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Do you speak Spanish? I'd like to head south to look around but I'm going to take a few Spanish courses to get my Spanish back up where it needs to be.

Ausfletch,
I did see one of the DRs, but it wasnt the 650. (sorry I didn't get the photos for you) Most everything was rented when I got there,,which is why I got the Yamaha. The only advice I guess is go with the flow,,don't get caught out after dark,,(like I did once). It was really pretty easy traveling around, but some of the roads are a little tricky and San Jose will give you some pucker factor.
As for Morten and Thorsten, they were very friendly. They will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb when you return. Morten tried to charge me (5dollars) for a turn signal lens that fell off the Yamaha. I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, but I did stress that I never went down on the bike and it simply fell off when on a paved road. He didn't charge me. I think they are okay guys. Morten invited me back again, so I guess he feels okay with me using their bikes.

Mike,
I did see quite a few expats in Grecia at a coffee shop near the hotel where I stayed. It seems like they live there. I wouln't say the town is swamped, but there were more than a handful. As for the church, I never went inside and the construction was only in that area where the photo was taken. As for the hotel, not sure if it is new or not. I just kinda lucked into it. I was the only gringo there, and it appeared that some of the people lived as full time residents. It was a very nice place. I have their business card somewhere, if I find it I will post the name and address.

Thanks for the information on the fruit, "cas". I liked it alot also. I was expecting an orange, and got a surprise.

Lastsix,
I do pretty good in Spanish for someone who learned it as an adult, and fortunately I get the chance to practice alot. There were alot of bilingual people in Costa Rica in the tourist areas, not so much off the beaten path so some knowledge of Spanish definitely comes in handy.

Ausfletch,
I did see one of the DRs, but it wasnt the 650. (sorry I didn't get the photos for you) Most everything was rented when I got there,,which is why I got the Yamaha. The only advice I guess is go with the flow,,don't get caught out after dark,,(like I did once). It was really pretty easy traveling around, but some of the roads are a little tricky and San Jose will give you some pucker factor.
As for Morten and Thorsten, they were very friendly. They will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb when you return. Morten tried to charge me (5dollars) for a turn signal lens that fell off the Yamaha. I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, but I did stress that I never went down on the bike and it simply fell off when on a paved road. He didn't charge me. I think they are okay guys. Morten invited me back again, so I guess he feels okay with me using their bikes.

Thanks for the advice. I am glad I re-read your report. I was looking for a place to stay between La Fortuna/El Castillo and getting to the peninsual. I had seen Tilaran on the map but, since you liked it, I think I will plan my run to the peninsula around a night there....

-Fletch

Back