• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"The Oasis of my Soul"... A Lifelong Journey on the road...

Sorry that Ol Man Winter would give you a break in your Death Valley travels. :(

Me at the Oasis? Ya never know what the next 'Norther' could blow in....;-)

No biggie... maybe we will return some day... Texas hills were great!!! again...

479471005_Yn38E-M-1.jpg

A slight detour and some Bloody Mary mix, Tx

Back at the Oasis, finally catching up with all the good stuff one has to in front of this screen that keeps staring at me. We end up taking a detour through the Texas Hills as again cold weather came upon us the last night camping at Garner State Park. My Friend Kristi and her daughter invited us for a couple days, as always excellent company and much photography. 23 degrees the last night spend… the handicap heated shower stall was a great idea… to sleep in. Just in case someone else comes across this peculiar situation. Till morning anyhow when the toilets started flushing!
Always great roads to ride, great food at BJ’s and Lost Maple Cafe, priced cheaper than home cooking. Much photography due to low waters and the many rocks and tree trunks dispersed within the creeks.
It feels good to be warm again here, high of 82 the temp said, short sleeve T shirt and no wool cap is more my speed and Spirit’s also since shedding his winter coat due to defending our campsite from Mr Skunk.
More on the Blog, actually a couple posted Blogs.
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

We survive everything!!!:giveup:

479926386_Fben3-M.jpg

Resting the old bones in Big Bend! Tx

With the temp hitting 100 yesterday, finally the bones are starting to thaw out from the frost that had penetrated them the past couple weeks. 100 felt pretty decent I must admit to my surprise, “hey sun”… bring it on I kept thinking, one more refill please and I will take yet another one today.
I am all ears from my readers toward unknown destinations when Spring comes. We are done with “tourist traps” even as magnificent some marvels of Nature can be. We are done with “National Parks” having Spirit frowned upon, only maybe riding through them for a few photos. Every corner of this country has a story and so do people we meet. I feel as on a new venture trying to put it all in perspective, blending both into one big basket of thoughts, photos and stories. An old building, an old bridge, old cars abandoned rusting away, a hill and a valley, a canyon or flat land, every square inch and its inhabitants have witnessed times past worth discovering. Exciting times ahead as is also the present now back at “The Oasis”.
You be well always… Ara & Spirit

481776677_ynYeR-L.jpg

Back in the Saddle, Texas

Ah! Texas… cook outs, “tis” the season of them all. Socializing in these desolate vast areas in a busier fashion as even before. We have not even gone spend much time yet in Terlingua as time is spend around here cooking and eating and of course chatting with neighbors. Neighbors seemingly inexistent, but, that is only imagination as they are around and like wild fire the words spreads fast when a cook out will be happening. Everyone has their own kit! It seems as I should now have my own as I have been bailed out a couple times already! Silverware, napkins and cooler ready for the ice and beverages of choice. Water has always been ours… Spirit and I drink out of the same source, a simplicity that follows us.
Plans are unmade, for some reason that will always remain unknown, the destinations near by are pushed away for the next day or so, a funny thing while camping you here.
Cooking outdoor is an art I am learning, witnessing bread made out of Dutch Ovens and for that matter anything else going on those plates.
More of it on the Blog…
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

Good photos that capture the liveliness of the old west recreators. Some mighty fine wardrobes and horses made me smile :clap:

How did Spirit do with the horses, I'll be he never lifted an eyebrow - just went about his business.... :zen:

Stay warm out there.

Good photos that capture the liveliness of the old west recreators. Some mighty fine wardrobes and horses made me smile :clap:

How did Spirit do with the horses, I'll be he never lifted an eyebrow - just went about his business.... :zen:

Stay warm out there.

Just like you said... he is a Texan after all also!!!:trust:

484078896_BRaYf-L-1.jpg

400 Chapters, 900 days later… from Texas

Miles? How many States? I don’t know. I don’t keep track. Meaningless truly if the importance is on sitting on that saddle and letting the mile markers go by to only increase the volume of the unseen roads. The above numbers only interest me as marking a symbol of days past within a mind that hopefully has risen to a better stage in this Life of ours. It is time passed, used, they are the words written, spoken to myself, sunrises and sunsets all with their own fingerprint of the day.
We took off in search of wildflowers yesterday. False alarm? Almost… Yet a few on the path to the Hot Springs within Big Bend Park. The ocotillos should be blooming soon and so are many others hopefully. It will be a landscape smorgasbord I am sure.
Just hanging out as they say. Enjoying the warm weather here, Spirit as usual clowning around big time every morning, and often again cooking on the fire, that circle that has become my center of the Universe where I can go sit and ponder about this Journey.
The rest of the story is on the Blog…Be well, always, and “thank you” for being with us.
Ara & Spirit

See you in a couple weeks, Ara!

Can't wait, should have great weather... fire... cooking... photography... chatting... sounds great. Let me know a bit ahead of time... in case we get lost or something!:lol2:

Be well... always. Ara&SPIRIT

Can't wait, should have great weather... fire... cooking... photography... chatting... sounds great. Let me know a bit ahead of time... in case we get lost or something!:lol2:
Great! I'm relegated to pavement this time (on the Whee). Perhaps we can get together with Voni and Paul for an evening of chat/food/laughter.

I'm planning on hiking Closed Canyon this time! (and Santa Elena if time allows)

Sounds like a plan ; )

We're free most days except the 16th-18th. Our grandboys and our son and daughter will be visiting then . . . Our new Honda CRF50 will get a workout!

Voni
sMiling

Sounds like a plan ; )

We're free most days except the 16th-18th. Our grandboys and our son and daughter will be visiting then . . . Our new Honda CRF50 will get a workout!

Voni
sMiling

16th is DR in Odessa for me... How are we going to take you here?... or swimming hole? You need the drit bike!!! Yes... drit...

486243142_goDtQ-L-2.jpg

More company at the swimming hole… Texas

When someone “new” comes along visiting the area, my first thought is always the “swimming hole”. Camera in hand for the zillionth time I manage to find a few square inches of Art Mother Nature has managed to carve for us and leave behind, for only the time being. It will change I know by next year or maybe a few more ahead of us. We had never witnessed a sunset at the swimming hole as we did this last time a couple days ago. The light is lost very early because of the hills westward, but yet, the plays of the shadows made it for an interesting outing.
We rode around with a Friend from Germany hiking the area and for the first time Spirit had to share his car. He was the perfect gentleman as we both are, I do have to say however that he is happy to get it back for himself! My buddy Spirit… he will never cease to amaze me.
The photos are on the Blog… enjoy and be well.
Ara & Spirit

16th is DR in Odessa for me... How are we going to take you here?... or swimming hole? You need the drit bike!!! Yes... drit...

486243142_goDtQ-L-2.jpg
I'm chomping at the bit to see this tinaja, but I'm on the Whee this time. I'm riding down the last weekend of this month for a few days; should be there Friday.
The dirt bike and I won't be back as a unit until December :(

Will get you there somehow... even if you have to share the chair with... Spirit!!! Photo opprotunity then for sure... blackmail? no doubt... This one here is for you!!!

487789470_JxbLb-XL.jpg

I am still trying to find it… Texas

Reading some of “Dewitt Jones” articles has really opened up some comprehension toward the parallelism of traveling, photography and Life itself.
“Creativity is the ability to see the extraordinary”
It brings along also the notion to the fact there is never only the one answer to our path, as there is not just one great photo or just one greatest route one should travel on.
Intersections are of so many on all those given aspects that surrounds us. Intersections are fun because one can come back and yet have more ways to go. Taking a photo only inches away from the previous one makes it a totally different often image.
We spend a couple days riding by the “landmarks” as I call them, we have been by so many times but never taken the time to stop. We did this time, and yet there will be more.
It is a side of this area that maybe even if you have come and visited you probably never noticed… It took me a long time to do so myself.

Be well, always. Ara & Spirit

Will get you there somehow... even if you have to share the chair with... Spirit!!! Photo opprotunity then for sure... blackmail? no doubt... This one here is for you!!!
Thanks for the tease, Ara ;)
I don't mind sharing the 'chair' with Spirit! We can catch up on doggy gossip. :mrgreen:

Reading some of “Dewitt Jones” articles has really opened up some comprehension toward the parallelism of traveling, photography and Life itself.
“Creativity is the ability to see the extraordinary”
It is also the ability, and desire, to envision the extraordinary. To 'see' is being in the moment: looking down one road of the intersection, seeing what other may not see, seeing the 'now'.

Envisioning is imagining the possible: what can lie ahead, where the other roads may lead, what may be ahead days from now, perhaps even imagining what and where the roads led a long long time ago (maybe even roads that are now gone, or roads in the future). It's an overlap of what has been, what is now, and what may be.

Photography, and other art forms (perhaps even writing?), can do that. It allows us to see something through the photographer's lens, but they must be able to envision to see through the photographer's mind's eye. And not everyone will see or envision the same thing.

But isn't that what life is all about?

Each minute, every day can be something new. As long as you allow yourself to see, and envision to open the doors to see more.

Tutto va bene.

Thank you...

488172967_r9qVn-L-1.jpg

Big Bend Valley… Texas

Just depicting a bit of the Life here when one decides to get rooted for the winter time avoiding bad weather further north. The comfort of it’s space is in the soul. Spirit himself feels free around here, this is his turf, his territory, his “place” where he will point his ears toward “anything” that moves within a distance I cannot even see it’s end. It is not for everyone. As today having to get water 28 miles away, propane, food, laundry… all surrounded now with familiar faces inducing much chatting as always, including finding out the latest and the newest articles of Life surrounding us. The physical aspect of it all is such a small price to pay for the reward laid out and free for the taking. Compromises are originally of many, and yet, as time passes by they do not even feel as such, only becoming what I would call normal and enjoyable exercises good for the body anyhow. Old dwellings are still here, they are a remainder of a not so distant past only guessing their stories of others having maybe moved or moved in even further… Unlike other geographical areas where they might be a sight for sore eyes, I find them provocative from times ago.
Big Bend Valley… unlike any other…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

490558882_a9mjj-XL.jpg

The Day I said “no”… Texas
Third day in, bad weather and yet so beautifully laid out. Of course we could get all geared up and confront the sprinkles, fog, icy cold streams blowing right and left, but we have been staying in, trying to catch up with various forgotten aspects of this Journey. And then of course the mind, a bit stagnant, starts it’s wandering throughout the images of the past, memories of not too long ago, specially when Friends bring up a situation I in similarity also lived through.
It is always “if I only knew”… I know it becomes an impasse, a place to not even dare visit, but I do, sometimes. They bring up the colors and even the smells of the past, they teach me to maybe have a bit more awareness for the future, at least I think they do.
I can only try over and over.
The images today are of a young racer, Brandon, and his wonderful Father, Brian, both as one supporting each other throughout this passion we call “motorcycle riding”.
The images of the past are what they could have been of today‘… but are not. The deck of cards was full, I just pulled the wrong one!
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

491865117_jXers-L.jpg

Another day through Big Bend… Texas

With one million acres laid out ahead of us, only a few miles away from “The Oasis”, a Lifetime is not going to be enough to explore it all. And so we keep going back, often without truly a destination in mind, maybe often following Spirit’s own nose pointing. Why not! My favorite however has always been Sotol Look Out and the Rio Grande River, an area where the banks have moved around since the last floods not long ago.
With it’s tall cliffs, a road that has now been cleared, flowers blooming finally announcing Spring around the corner, we had a fine day, a fine long day with the sunshine hanging out for the extra hours this landscape deserves.
This morning, today, it will be a different scenery as we are taking off for Odessa for one more medical check up. The news have been good as I have managed to bring down my cholesterol and triglyceride levels under 200. It gives me hope that this coming summer will not be a struggle in the Health department of this Journey.
More on the Blog…Be well, always…
Ara & Spirit

This morning, today, it will be a different scenery as we are taking off for Odessa for one more medical check up. The news have been good as I have managed to bring down my cholesterol and triglyceride levels under 200.
:clap: Fish oil, Ara!

My trip down in a few weeks is going to be more than just leisure. I'm applying for a job down there ;-) I'm thinking we should get Voni, Paul and Roger and have a PowWow dinner with toddies to push some good Karma. Can't wait.

Hope your check-up goes well!

River guide?... Sure... just let us know. I doubt it Roger will come all the way here... as I doubt we will go all the way there... :lol2:

495651624_E4PZr-L.jpg

This first day of Spring…
A new page, a new feel, roads yet not taken I feel are awaiting on this first warmer day welcoming us with open arms.
Too much riding lately, as if there is such a thing!
A couple Blogs have been posted with not much time in between… just writing and photos, day after day they are as being transferred from my soul into the pages that keep accumulating to no end.
Road conditions as I found out have changed to the better giving us a chance to ride them with more comfort. Such is Old Maverick Rd, a pleasant surprise. Happy within our own space, however the external dealings sometimes do not create the same results such as with Kiowa Gallery in Alpine taking down my photos without letting me know, for now a month. They do not go hand in hand with “Cowboy Poetry Nights” that took place a while back… That is what I was told finally when discovering such a fact… Life will be Life always dealing with people’s games they play when the word “business” shows up, I still believe in a hand shake… Right or wrong, that is how I now feel… a bit burned about it all.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

*RSS feed as we move on will always let you know about new postings…

498009485_RwMwo-L.jpg

An eternal circle, Texas

Deeply engaged in a phone conversation, two strangers pull up and start unloading some wood into my existing pile… I am sure this does not happen every day! The rest of the afternoon was a wide open door of a classroom with so much learned from Mike and Louise, 2 free spirited souls on the road now for 14 months. Yes, there are a few of us, vagabonds, travelers, with no roots deeply embedded into only one space. We drag those roots instead and Mother Nature is our textbook, daily, no bells and no whistles, no clock but only tests moments after moments while we learn to survive within this huge mansion which offers us so much wealth and a self recognition unlike any other space.
We have a new addition now to the fire ring that will enable us to cook and have a fire all at the same time. I learned about Wildlife Refuge areas, I even have a new book on how to cook with a Dutch Oven the day we purchase one. New routes from others are like finding gold on this Journey, we have now become even richer!
Amazing how priorities can change, it feels as it’s pyramid has been reversed 180 degrees!!!
Be well… enjoy the Blog… Ara & Spirit

499040867_zZybD-L-1.jpg

Black Gap WMA… Texas
The old saying “It is the Journey and not the destination” applies so well here, and yet, the destination is also one we will return to, as getting caught a bit too short throughout the day. Too much chatting… People met are becoming an important facet of our perpetual unmarked and unplanned route. Peaceful and Friendly souls appear as we suddenly realize what makes our World go around. It is “people” value as I know and always think we cannot buy, lease it or rent it!
That was the case when we stopped in “Stillwell” before getting into the Wilderness area of Black Gap, 100,000 plus acres of desolate and raw space, that day without a soul around.
The SAT phone has become my assurance throughout these isolated parts we adventure ourselves on. As much as I love my buddy Spirit, well… he has never lifted a paw yet toward any kind of bailing out situations… mentally yes, physically? No…
We have also been approved to be sponsored by SPOT, which is great news and a window should be up in a few weeks for “in real live time” tracking from the site… that is only when I have it on!!!
This adventure begins on the Blog
Be well… Ara & Spirit

501026118_e4FgF-L.jpg

The end of the Black Gap WMA saga… Texas
It has been Texas for a while now, I think we are due for another State very soon. The afternoon heat is making it’s way in this Desert and I can hear the Red Rocks of Utah calling us. I feel summer written all over the place, in the sky and on the ground, it won’t be long.
In the meantime discovering the Black Gap WMA area was well worth the ride and more, including a little “get off the road” riding a bit too fast, practicing as I like to call it. Without a moon out when a curve is hidden beyond a hilly road, sometimes it is a bit too late. We shall return as there is also a paved road leading to the Rio Grande we have not taken yet.
It is time to sort everything out. What goes and what stays, a couple Dr’s appointments, the final ones. I will be free again to not look back… only missing this space and the center of my own Universe, this Fire Ring so dear to me, this space where I can meditate, cook and entertain the few that have stopped by to meet us.
The rest of the story and… fish heads hanging in a shack (???) is on the Blog.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

Back