• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I didn't take the bike this time, but share my fun.

Soozy

Reaction score
Here is why I didn't take the bike.

IMG_1704.jpg

I headed out to Colorado and drove through snow in the panhandle. Right before I hit the snow, I was doing 80mph and was 80 miles out from Amarillo. I thought to myself, "One hour to go." I hit the snow and slowed to 50. Then there was the sign saying 50 miles to go. OK, one hour left. Snow got worse. Now I was at 45mph and was 45 miles out. You know....one hour to go. The next stretch of road had accumulation and I lost the stripes. This took me down to 25mph with 25 miles to go. Sigh. With one hour to go, I was using the rumble strips to keep my car on the road. Oddly, the roads cleared about 20 miles before Amarillo. The next day the drive was beautiful on clear roads with the entire panhandle heavily dusted with snow.

So on to the entertainment in Colorado. The first excursion was to see the annual migration of the Sandhill Cranes outside of Monte Vista. We passed through the tiny town of Villa Grove and found Always Azul, a pottery business.

IMG_1723.jpg

So many of the pieces reminded me of ones I saw in Terlingua, that I asked the owner if he shipped there. Yup. Even Kokopelli Man pieces. Here is nice site with an explanation of that legend.

http://www.gilamountaindulcimers.com/koko.htm

There were interesting buildings and one sign I liked.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

Here are some shots of the Cranes. My camera is so limited and fails to show the massive quantity of these birds and the size of them.

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

We could see the Great Sand Dunes across this massive valley nestled at the base of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range, so we went there.

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

The next 8 shots need to be stitched to show the whole thing.

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

Leaving the Dunes, we had to drop by the UFO Watchtower.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Colorado is such a crazy place.

No, they are crazy in their own way, Austin use to be different from the rest of Texas. Now it's a bunch of weird, not even what the old Austin "weird" bunch. Seems like a bunch of "we need more government" types:brainsnap: Sad really.

So Sand Hill Cranes are named for their stop in the sand hills in Colorado? Interesting!

I had a quiet day today as I was invited to go to a gathering of women artists who meet every Monday in Buena Vista. Patricia was celebrating her 50th today so I had a gift for her and the artists had a nice luncheon for her. These were all fascinating women who had been published, owned galleries, or created art pieces that are in demand. One let me play with her cool new watercolor pencils that set up like acrylic paints and have intense pigments.

Patricia made a fun cake.

IMG_1804.jpg

Here is my work of art.

IMG_1805.jpg

The lovely ladies were great cooks too!

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

I made this scarf for Patricia and one of the gallery owners told me it was gallery quality. I can put pieces in her gallery if I ever move here, as her gallery shows only local artists.

IMG_1820.jpg

After the luncheon we headed to Vail. I have never seen this ski resort so I was excited to go. I snapped a couple of shots on the pass so you could see how steep it is. I really liked the bridge, but I was busy backseat driving as I let my brother Joe drive. We encountered many large rocks in the road. I noticed one had a fluid streak that started at the rock and continued down the road, so I warned Joe to slow down for the broken down car up ahead. Sure enough, we found him around a blind corner. It took that driver a half mile or more to realize he was dumping his oil or transmission fluid.

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

I have to say that Vail has been made into a resort with little access for an average American. It might as well have been a Disney resort. High dollar, name branded, rich and famous. It had absolutely no soul. I took no pictures because the charm they would appear to have would have been as shallow and fabricated as a Hollywood actor after multiple plastic surgeries.

Crested Butte is a ski resort town with soul...LOTS of soul.

So Vail is just a veil, while Crested Butte is a beaut'.

Enjoy the rest of your break, and hey, that is a cool eye watercolor you did!

So Vail is just a veil, while Crested Butte is a beaut'.

Enjoy the rest of your break, and hey, that is a cool eye watercolor you did!

Nail on the head!

:thumb: on the watercolor, too!

Sigh..... I need a vacation after seeing your pictures.
Thanks for the break.

Aw gee! Thanks guys!

Just run away M38A1. That is what I do. Run.

Today we hiked along the river and followed that with a dinner party. New potatoes, squash & onions, and a pork roast done in sauerkraut, apples, and a little turnip root. Tres yum.

No pictures. The 4th day at altitude is often the roughest day of adjustment when one's body doesn't want to line up with one's enthusiasm. I was just enjoying and existing. More pictures tomorrow.

I talked to a fellow at the dinner party who spent the day on a high lake that is frozen over still. He wears ice skates and uses a sail to wind surf...I mean wind skate.

Cool, and I don't mean the temperatures. Next time you leave for vacation, I'm stowing away.

Sometimes nature just has to take some time off to enjoy civilization.

IMG_1829.jpg

While we enjoyed the local music and friends in Crested Butte.

IMG_1836.jpg

heheh... Crested Butte...

Sounds awesome Soozy. ItchyBob's got the right idea I think... I've heard so much about Colorado now that I really want to get out there soon.

Soozy, really glad you are enjoying the good stuff Colorado has to offer. Thanks for the pics......makes me want to pack the camping gear, ride back to Colorado without a schedule to take it all in.
Neal

We took a hike to the river today so I have a few pretty pictures.

The stars of today are:
IMG_1883.jpg

Jord and Jenny who met last year and are growing a baby.

IMG_1882.jpg

Joe, my brother.

IMG_1880.jpg

Patricia

IMG_1885.jpg

And me acting like I am doing something important.

IMG_1891.jpg

We crossed this mini gorge. Love the signs.

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

The scenery was the kind you feel, hear, smell, and it just makes you feel alive. Then you want to run, and then you can't breathe because you have 5/8 of the atmosphere you are used to breathing.

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

I am heading home tomorrow morning. Always sad to leave and happy to have been here.

Glad you had a blast, Soozy. :mrgreen: And as always, good to have you back.

I must say my stomach turns to nots when I even hear "COLORADO". I went in 05 and in 07 to Creede and Lake City. I absolutley love it up there. It's awsome to see sand dunes with white capped mountains in the background. One of these days I will get to go back. There is so much to do and see up there.

Back