• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Imperial Reservoir ride report and pics

TWTim

Reaction score
Imperial Reservoir ride report and pics

Continuing our mission to make as many West Texas day-rides as possible before the summer heat sets in, we saddled up for a little-known spot just south of Grandfalls today to see some very green water in large quantities: Imperial Reservoir.

As a native West Texan, I feel somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I had never been to Imperial Reservoir before this ride. The reservoir is located between Imperial and Grandfalls, smack-dab in the middle of nowhere:

ride03292009-013.jpg

On our way, we stopped at the southern end of the sandhills region, took a quick break, and snapped some pics:

ride03292009-001.jpg

Artsy-fartsy version for the photo-wankery section:

bikesartsyfartsytimkreitz.jpg

I know I've said it before, but oh how I love the savage beauty of West Texas:

ride03292009-003.jpg

We arrived at Imperial Reservoir to find that it costs ten bucks to get in:

ride03292009-009.jpg

Yeah right, like we were gonna un-*** 30 dollars to ride our bikes around in the dirt. Not happening. So instead, we stuck to the perimeter of the park and took a few more pics.

Yes, the water really is this green:

ride03292009-004.jpg

Looking toward the southwest:

ride03292009-005.jpg

That, my friends, is what we call a chaw:

ride03292009-008.jpg

After 130 miles of riding, we needed fuel, so we headed into Grandfalls and hung out for a while at the epicenter of town activity, Allsups:

ride03292009-006.jpg

Behold Grandfalls in all its glory:

ride03292009-007.jpg

By the time we were ready to leave Grandfalls, we were all hungry. In fact, I hadn't eaten anything all day, so Britt suggested we head into Monahans and grab an early dinner at the West Texas legend, Fermin's:

ride03292009-010.jpg

Again, this was a brand-new experience for me. Somehow or another, I had never made an effort to have a meal at Fermin's, and boy am I glad I finally did. I highly recommend the restaurant to anyone who's willing to make the trip to Monahans for dinner. You won't be disappointed.

Dig the simple, old-school interior. I love these kinds of places:

ride03292009-014.jpg

After an excellent dinner, we dropped by the Monahans Milllion Barrel Museum to find it closed. Decades ago, the "Million Barrels", as the locals once called it, was an experimental, open-pit, oil storage facility that didn't exactly live up to its engineering expectations and was eventually turned into a museum. Unfortunately, it isn't accessible on Sundays, so I stuck my camera through the gate, took a few more pics, and we were on our way:

ride03292009-012.jpg

ride03292009-011.jpg

We got back into to midland around 5:30 or so, having clocked approximately 250 miles for the day. It was a bit windy, but the dirt stayed down, so the ride was still very enjoyable. There is a lot to discover in West Texas, and adventuring by motorcycle makes it that much more fun.

Have a great week.

Last edited:
:eat::eat::eat:Are they still farming shrimp around Imperial? They had some good stuff a few years back.:eat::eat::eat:
They are still farming the shrimp but they have shut down the shrimp store where we all ate fresh shrimp at.they raise and sell on average about 800,000 pounds per season.

WHY is it green?

That's a good question. Honestly, I have no idea. It's definitely hard water, but as to what causes its jade-green hue, I couldn't tell you. Perhaps some nice marine biologist will post up with an explanation or theory.

Last edited:
They are still farming the shrimp but they have shut down the shrimp store where we all ate fresh shrimp...

Yep, and that sucks. I was very disappointed to see that the old Shrimp Store is now D&D Grocery Store.

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Cool Pics. The HD is sweet.

That's a beautiful bike. I'll have to take some close-up pics sometime of the custom engine covers he installed.

I love having a bagger in the group, because it's like being followed by a storage/supply truck. We always have a place to put our water bottles and jacket liners. :lol2:

Thanks for the ride report Tim. Once again, I learn about a place in Texas that I've never heard of. Imperial Resevoir...truly green and a shrimp farm in the savage sands of Texas. Sweet!

I love having a bagger in the group, because it's like being followed by a storage/supply truck. We always have a place to put our water bottles and jacket liners. :lol2:

Hmm....what's the going rate for sherpa'ing? :trust:
(see sig, dual baggers)

Cool pics. Looks like ya'll had a good time. :thumb:

Tim

Whats the name of the little group you always ride with,
You got to have a little nick name,,,
Maybe get some of the TWT crowd to help pick a name,,
The three amigos,
Mike

Thanks for the ride report Tim. Once again, I learn about a place in Texas that I've never heard of. Imperial Resevoir...truly green and a shrimp farm in the savage sands of Texas. Sweet!

Heh-heh. It needs to be renamed 'Jade Lake'. :mrgreen:

Cool pics. Looks like ya'll had a good time. :thumb:

Thank you. I love this time of year, and making these kinds of rides is the best way to enjoy it. The riding group has been a bit smaller this year than in years past, but we usually have three to five people along pretty consistently. Lots of guys have sold their motorcycles for financial reasons, plus it seems as if everyone has these cumbersome family and home projects going on right now. Oh well, I'm gonna ride every chance I get this spring.

Whats the name of the little group you always ride with,
You got to have a little nick name

Well, this year the group has mainly been Britt, Dave, and me -- although Bobby, Ken, and a few others have joined on occasion. Carl and Marie haven't made a single ride this year. Neither have Rodger and Blaine.

Perhaps we should call ourselves Los Jinetes Solitarios. :lol2:

AHhhhhh home sweet home!

Many meals at Fermin's, a few at the shrimp place and grrrr...hate it being closed! Always made an effort to head there for lunch when I head out to visit.

Nice report!

AHhhhhh home sweet home!

Many meals at Fermin's, a few at the shrimp place and grrrr...hate it being closed! Always made an effort to head there for lunch when I head out to visit.

Nice report!

You make sure to look either Dave or me up the next time you come out for a visit. We'll have a Fermin's party! :thumb:

Last edited:
Man, West Texas just doesn't know how to showcase water. :giveup:

After growing up in the Piney Woods of East Texas, water skiing after school every day and all weekend, I remember my disappointment with White River Lake 50 miles from Lubbock. "Moonscape with a mud hole" was my analogy. :eek2:

LOL. They have a website! Who'da thunkit:

http://imperialreservoir.com/

Also, here's a little info I found on Handbook of Texas:

"Imperial Reservoir is four miles south of Grandfalls and just south of the Pecos River in northern Pecos County (at 31°16' N, 102°51' W). It is bordered by Farm Road 2593 on the north and east and State Highway 18 on the west. The reservoir was constructed on the Pecos River around 1912 to provide irrigation water to the Imperial Canal and to promote land sales. It covers approximately 1,530 surface acres and has a capacity of 8,500 acre-feet. Since 1955 the reservoir has been operated for recreational use by the Imperial Volunteer Fire Department. A dwindling water supply in recent years has produced erratic levels in the reservoir."

1. Why isn't there more vegetation around the water?
2. What is the vegetation there that is short and kind of scrubby?
3. What animals do you see?
I want to ask because that is what the kids will be asking me.

1. Why isn't there more vegetation around the water?
2. What is the vegetation there that is short and kind of scrubby?
3. What animals do you see?
I want to ask because that is what the kids will be asking me.

1 Salt water
2 Salt water
3 oh and Salt water
Tim we sure have missed out on making the rides for sure! thanks for holding the carrot in front of me I need it!
SRAD

Back