• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red Bluff Lake and Orla Ruins Ride Report with Pics

TWTim

Reaction score
In keeping with our goal of making as many Spring 2009 day rides as possible before the heat sets in, Dave, Britt, and I decided last night that we would make a trip out to yet another place I had never been before: Red Bluff Lake on the Texas-New Mexico border.

Red Bluff Reservoir is on the Pecos River, about 40 miles north of Pecos, Texas near Orla. It extends into Loving and Reeves counties in Texas, and Eddy County in New Mexico. According to Wikipedia, the reservoir was formed in 1936 by the construction of a dam by the Red Bluff Water Control District to provide water for irrigation and hydroelectric power. The reservoir is also used for recreational activities.

redbluffres.jpg

This was the first day of Badlands Spring Tour '09® that I would classify as hot. When we arrived at Red Bluff Lake (139 miles from my driveway), the first thing we started looking for was shade. The morning had started off perfectly mild, but the early afternoon sun was beating down on the rough terrain surrounding the reservoir.

Britt took the pics today, as I forgot my camera. These are stills from his video camera:

IMGA0020.jpg

We made sure to stay hydrated on this trip. As I mentioned above, it got hotter than we expected.

Me consuming H2O molecules:

IMGA0015.jpg

Dave's too good for Nestle water -- he only drinks Dasani:

IMGA0016.jpg

The lake itself is pretty big, but is shallow. AIUI, the depth only averages about seven feet:

IMGA0027.jpg

The dam:

IMGA0024.jpg

These knuckleheads in this boat kept going out for short, fast runs and coming back to shore:

IMGA0029.jpg

The only problem was, their idea of docking the craft was to run it repeatedly aground on the rocks in the shallows. Oh, what a horrible sound was produced each time they beached. I kept waiting for the thing to sink:

IMGA0018.jpg

Needless to say, we'd had about enough of Red Bluff Lake by that point, and decided to ride back into Orla, where there were some ruins we had passed on the way to the reservoir and wanted to explore.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you L&J Liquors:

IMGA0033.jpg

The rest of the toilet was nowhere in sight:

IMGA0036.jpg

No whisky in the jar-o, just empty shelves and Pripyat-esque dilapidation:

IMGA0046.jpg

Alright, here's a question for you. Have you ever had one of those moments where you went from totally relaxed and halfway bored to an instant state of full-on, fight-or-flight adrenaline? Well, it had been a quite while for me. That is, until we decided to explore the building next door -- an old nightclub with a few surprises still left inside:

IMGA0034.jpg

I slowly peeked my head inside, looking down and around for snakes, spiders and loose floorboards:

IMGA0040.jpg

That's when it happened. Just as I decided that it might be a good idea to check upward as well as around, I heard a very faint grunt of a growl and some movement directly over my head. I instantly ducked as I looked up into the rafters to meet the angry gaze a 40-odd pound female bobcat, perched not two feet from my face!

Um, yeah. You could definitely say an adrenaline rush ensued. Just imagine looking up and seeing a mug like this one staring down at you from a superior vantage point:

bobcatabove.jpg

Needless to say, I hauled *** out of there at Warp Factor 7, yelling at the top of my lungs like a pretty little girl, "Bobcat! Bobcat!"

Britt and Dave were exploring different entrance points when they heard the commotion and each moved quickly away from the building. We met at the front and waited, but the cat never came out. After a few minutes of silence, Dave -- never one to shy away from the opportunity to get rabies shots -- decided to go back inside and get a look.

"Hey guys, I think she's gone."

IMGA0041.jpg

"Nope, she's still here! Look out!"

IMGA0042.jpg

Luckily, Dave was spared and the bobcat sprinted away through the middle doorway out back:

IMGA0043.jpg

Britt, being the crappy photographer he is, never got a picture of the ******* cat! Way to go, Eddie Adams! Give that man a Pulitzer!

At any rate, thereafter, we all needed a little rest and some time to calm down. We headed back to the bikes with our hearts still pumping:

IMGA0045.jpg

IMGA0047.jpg

Whew. Boneheads 1, bobcat 0.

Total mileage for today was 278, not counting running from the angry Felis Rufus. I got home about 6:30 and immediately had a beer.

Or three.

Thanks for reading.

I've got to remember to add looking for Bobcats to my list. :eek2:

Thanks for sharing the experience.

I've got to remember to add looking for Bobcats to my list. :eek2:

Yeah, me too. I had a similar experience 10 or 12 years ago while on a dove hunt, involving an oak tree and a bobcat. You'd think I would've learned.

:shrug:

It never ceases to amaze me the places you guys choose to visit. You weren't far from Guadalupe mountains state park...or maybe it's a national thing. Shoulda headed west a little more! Can't help but wonder if that 40,000 dollar boat was stolen...drive it like you stole it! Thx for the report, and thank goodness you guys weren't cat chow.

Yea that first building had a swarm of either honeybees or africanized bees under the floor.didnt take to long to figure out that wasnt a situation where i wanted to be in.moving on.pretty little ole bobcat even though no pics.he or she stood bout knee high at the center of the back.good ride altogether got a little burnt on the shoulders but ill sacrifice a little skin for good road trips anytime.:rider: The lake was pretty low for this time of year.newmexico didnt get the snow they needed to put the water in the lakes.ive seen places on the lake that are 30+ feet even when its this low.I use to do lot of water skiing back in 1983-84-85 on the lake and you could tell when the lake got good water in it.usually its very salty.bout like imperial reservoir.

It never ceases to amaze me the places you guys choose to visit. You weren't far from Guadalupe mountains state park...or maybe it's a national thing. Shoulda headed west a little more!

We actually did talk about going to Guadalupe Peak, but it would've added 120 more round-trip miles and Britt was needing to get back (he has a pregnant wife at home). Don't worry, we'll make it over that way before too much longer.

...thank goodness you guys weren't cat chow.

Amen to that! :pray:

Last edited:
Yea that first building had a swarm of either honeybees or africanized bees under the floor.didnt take to long to figure out that wasnt a situation where i wanted to be in.

Oddly enough, those buildings are on Google Streetview:

orlaruinsonsview.jpg

Here's someone's attempt at artsy-fartsy I found through a GIS. I guess everything on earth has been photographed and put on the web at this point in human history.

By the way, I'd love to have that gas pump light. I wonder what it would take to get my hands on it legally:

ruinsatorla.jpg

Pretty cool. Buddy and I just came through there about 3 weeks ago.

Back in the early 80s, I spent some time in the oil patch in Orla and surrounding area. We had some infrared analyzers monitoring the Tertiary Injection they were using to recover oil from shale.

The only place to eat lunch was a little tin building on the West side of the highway. When the door opened, you had to act quick and cover your plate to keep off the dirt and dust that would fall from the ceiling when the wind would blow the door shut.

Yep, it was a real boom town allright.

The pumper would go missing and they would find him later after he had made his way L&Js and back down to his fish camp on Red Bluff. Needless to say they got no work from him for a day or two.

Did ya'll get there by way of Wink and No Trees? That was the route I would take to and from Midland every day.

Ahhh... In the days of my youth...

Having been raised in Carlsbad N.M. I know a little about Orla and the lake. My daddys cousen ran the resturant in Orla in about 1953. I was 18 at the time. We learned to ski on the Pacos river that year so we decided to go to Red bluff, to ski on the big lake. We put the boat in the water, my bud, the boats owner though he would ride around the lake and find a good place to put the beer and food. Another bud said he would ski behind him. Buford ( the name fits) was sitting on the side of the boat driving when he fell out, the skier let go beside him and they swam back to the shore. The boat went acrossthe lake at full speed and hit the bank on the other side and went upon the bank about 10 feet with a hole in the botom you could crawl through. That was the last time I saw Red Bluff lake.

Those are great stories, you two. :clap:

Did ya'll get there by way of Wink and No Trees? That was the route I would take to and from Midland every day.

Yep. Kermit and Notrees, to be exact.

Tim,
Great report! I'll bet you guys were moving when saw that bobcat, I know would have been as fast these little short legs would go. :giveup:
Marty

Tim,
Great report! I'll bet you guys were moving when saw that bobcat, I know would have been as fast these little short legs would go. :giveup:
Marty

I was just glad she was healthy and not protecting a litter. If they're sick, or if kittens are nearby, you can never tell what they'll do.

Whew. :lol:

Man, ya'll were close for sure, if you could tell she was a girl! :eek2::lol2::rofl:

Man, ya'll were close for sure, if you could tell she was a girl! :eek2::lol2::rofl:

Exactly. She walked away from me across a rafter as I initially exited. That's how I knew. No bells for ringing.

Last edited:
Back