• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sabine Pass, Texas > Day Trippin'

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
A friend has asked me about Sabine Pass a week ago when talking with him about my run to Galveston, Tx. To check it out since Hurricane Ike. So, with storm warning all over the place, I decide to make a day trip out there as I’ve never been to Sabine Pass, Tx. Before.
Went to the garage and said HI to the DR650 as it was staying home today.
04DR650.jpg

And push the Bandit out to hook up the GPS and generally preflight it checking fluids, tire pressures, lights, etc. Drug out my vented jacket and HJC fliptop hat with the sliding down sunshield.

BanditReady.jpg

Checking out the Rice Fields on LA 99 headed south. Most fields I saw were looking good with pretty green rice.

Ricefields1.jpg

Ricefields2.jpg

Then it was East on LA 14
LA141.jpg

Crossing the Lacassine River bridge.
LacassineRiver2.jpg

LaccasineBridge2.jpg

LaccasineRiver1.jpg

Great river to fish in but very limited boat launches.

Now to the junction at Holmwood, La.
HolmwoodJunction.jpg

and connecting up with LA 27 south. Not far down we enter the Wildlife Refuge.
Refuge1.jpg

Refuge2.jpg

Refuge3.jpg

Where you get to read about wild life in the area. Didn’t see anything exciting so didn’t spend much time looking about the walkways built there.

Shot this pic of a fight of Pelicans coming over. They are always in perfect formation flying about.
Pelicanflight.jpg

Had stopped at a store in Cameron for a slice of pizza and a bottle of water so I could eat a bit when crossing the ferry. Didn’t take any pictures at this point.

Did do a shot of people fishing at the ferry crossing
CalcasieuPassfishing.jpg

And after getting to the other side of Calcasieu Pass I just made time towards Texas. Saw lots of people surf fishing and getting set up for the weekend.
Did get a touch wet coming out of Port Arthur, Tx but was dry by the time I got to Sabine Pass.

First place I stopped was the Lyons Club Park

SabinePassLionsPark.jpg

SabinePassLions.jpg

SabinePassHistory.jpg

SabinePass2.jpg

SabinePass1.jpg

And the Bandit waiting patiently for me to finish roaming about the park trying to read all that was there.
Banditwaiting.jpg

A few pictures of the damage from Ike and I’m sure some left over from Rita.
SabinePass3.jpg

SabinePass4.jpg

Then there is the stacked Drilling Rigs. Serious lay offs due to gas and oil prices reaching other jobs also. Everything is related in one way or other.
SabinePassJackups2.jpg

SabinePassJackups.jpg

Then I decided to see how far I could get down the Jetty Road which quickly turned into this for the last several miles.
SabinePassJettyRoad.jpg

I got a lot of strange looks from people fishing along the road with me weaving around the holes on the bandit mostly at idle in 2nd or 1st gear. Got a few thumbs up also. But I’m sure most were wondering what kinda dummy is riding a sport touring bike on this torn up road.

But the scenery was classic marshlands bordering passes to the gulf.
SabinePassJettys1.jpg

SabinePassRigs.jpg

SabinePassJetty3.jpg

Right after these shots a rain cloud was coming so I put the camera up in a plastic bag along with my cell phone and headed back to Sabine Pass proper. Just ended up with a little sprinkle from the cloud but it was serious looking to the north and west of me. So, with my fuel light blinking at me, and me not noticing how long ago it start blinking, I needed to get on back to Port Arthur and gas.
Just south of PA I stopped and put on my rain gear and batten down all hatches on the bike as it was really looking nasty weather wise.
Got gas and looked to the east at the clearer weather and made a bee line for the Louisiana border and along the coast to Holly Beach with out getting into rain. Still lots of people at the beach fishing or chilling out.
Made the turn on North 27 there and headed for I-10 as I didn’t want to go wait on the ferry at Cameron again today. About at Hackberry I finally got caught up in all the weather I had been dodging all day. But, it was an enjoyable ride in the rain without too much traffic till I got to I-10. But brought Bandit up to about 75-80 mph and did the last 55 miles to Jennings without a lot of fanfare. Put the Bandit in the garage, let the dog out, eat, took a serious nap.

I will return to Sabine Pass as there is more there I want to see so that will be a later story.

The posted date on the camera was wrong and I didn't notice till download from camera. I was down there Sunday the the 24th.

Cool report, thanks!! I think that area of Texas and Louisiana are neat little out-of-the way parts of both states. We (trailer) camped at Sea Rim State Park before Rita hit. We rode the bikes over to Holly Beach and just had a great time exploring the area. It's unbelievable how hard that area has been hit the past few years by hurricanes.

We rode the bikes over to Holly Beach and just had a great time exploring the area. It's unbelievable how hard that area has been hit the past few years by hurricanes.

They have never finished cleaning up from Rita, then Ike comes. Clean up starts over but not as bad in Louisiana. Mostly flooding in central Louisiana with Johnson Bayou on West getting the hard part of Ike. Texas ate most of Ike. I took my first post Ike ride to Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula a few days back. WOW! Reminded me of from Oak Groove to the Texas Border for Rita. Nothing left at Bolivar.
And here it is already, the start of the '09 Hurricane season. :giveup::eek2:

Back