• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Report: California 299 on a Versys

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Haslinger
I traveled to Eureka, CA over the Memorial Day weekend to visit my SO's family. I have a friend in Eureka that has a rotating fleet of bikes. Last year I rode his DRZ 400 sm and ZX6. This year I had a chance to ride his 2009 Kawasaki Versys up through the mountains on California Highway 299.
The Route:
route-1.jpg

I met Mo at his house at 8:30am on Sunday morning, it was a typical Humboldt County morning: cool, overcast and misting. I wasn't too concerned; I knew that once we got into the mountains we would punch through the clouds and see sun. Mo had the bikes prepped and ready to go when I was dropped off. He chose his baby, the red Ducati Monster.

I was excited to test drive the Versys. I've been thinking about adding a sport tourer to the garage, and the Versys is on the list. First impressions: comfortable seat, good riding position, gauges are easy to read, plenty of power, the small pegs and foot controls will take some getting used to.
20090524100012.jpg

As we climbed the mountains on 299, the fog got thicker and thicker. I was expecting us to punch through the fog on the first peak, as we did last year, but the moisture from the sea had penetrated up to Berry's Peak. We stopped here on the way out and couldn't see 10 feet in front of us, here's a pic on the way back:
20090524123441.jpg

The ocean is past the clouds, on the other side of those mountains:
20090524123330.jpg

We saw a ton of bikes out enjoying the sunny day. After riding for about 80 miles, we stopped at the Straw House, just past Big Bar to get a snack and some coffee. This little house made of straw bales and stucco sits on the Trinity River.
strawhouseMay2209.jpg

20090524111909.jpg

It was time to head back to town, so we saddled up and enjoyed the twisty highway in reverse. Here's another picture from Berry Peak:
20090524123408.jpg

Yeah... that ride looks like it had to really suck for you... :suicide: :-P

How do you think the Versys did in handling?

The handling on the Versys was great, much better than my ability. :giveup: It seemed lighter than my Bonnie, easier to turn in. I hit some rough roads and large rocks in the apex of a couple of turns, and it didn't upset the bike too much. My friend Mo said that one could double the suggested speed on the corner warning signs ( i.e. go 80 mph when the yellow sign says 40), I did not test that theory. I was comfortable going about 20 mph over.

The handling on the Versys was great, much better than my ability. :giveup: It seemed lighter than my Bonnie, easier to turn in. I hit some rough roads and large rocks in the apex of a couple of turns, and it didn't upset the bike too much. My friend Mo said that one could double the suggested speed on the corner warning signs ( i.e. go 80 mph when the yellow sign says 40), I did not test that theory. I was comfortable going about 20 mph over.

thanks for the info!! :mrgreen:

Looks like a great trip!! Nice pictures! Too bad you didn't get to ride the faster RED Versys!!!

:mrgreen:

Back