• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wabbit's Back

wabbit

Reaction score
I went to the smoky mountains. I was supposed to meet some other riders out there, but they flaked out or had scheduling conflicts. I ended up riding the whole time by myself. I had a blast.

At one point I was having trouble finding gas in North Carolina. All the remote little gas stations were sold out. When I finally did find gas I bought a little 2 gallon tank so that I would have enough gas to make it to my hotel. Luckily it got easier to find gas as I got closer to Deal's Gap. The gas station on Deals gap only sold gas to motorcycles. They were not selling to cars and trucks because of the shortage. That was pretty cool.

The Dragon is nice. I rode it in the morning and only saw maybe 4 other bikes on it. It was like I had it all to myself.

More later. Gotta go spend time with my wife now.

Here are some pics.
http://www.cracked-egg.com/FZ1/smokyweb

Glad that you are back safely. :clap

Did you have to go through any hurricane-induced weather coming or going?

(off to check out the pics...) :mrgreen:

TM,

Don't you have a pic like Wabbit took?:
IMG_1120.jpg

I do:

sv_deals.jpg

I've got a pic of a blue bike in front of the dam also.

dam.jpg

I'm not sure of the name of this dam. Right now I can't even remebr where it is. I was moving pretty quickly through most roads and was focused on not loosing it in the corners. Everything sort of blurs together. The dam is somewhere between greenville south carolina and deal's gap. That should narrow it down a bit.

IMG_1137.jpg

This is the Fontana Dam. It is the tallest dam built by the Tenessee Valley Authority. It is near Fontana Village and Deals Gap.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I went to the Art of the Motorcycle Exhibit on the way home in Memphis Tennesee. I saw a lot of cool bikes. You should check it out if the exhibit ever comes closer to Dallas.

Welcome back Wabbit. I know you enjoyed your trip and your wife is glad you are home safe. I thought for sure the FZ1OA gang would meet up with you....maybe better off alone as Crazy Joe was there on his Magna and he is a bad influence.

I'm glad you had a fun and safe trip. How was the temperature?
Rick

very nice temps. At some of the higher elevations I was almost wanting heated grips.

It was a nice change of pace from dallas heat.

The dam in question is on US 129 at the bottom of the mountain below the Crossroads of Time. I have those pics somewhere...

Supposedly, that is the dam used in the filming of "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford. It's in the scene where he jumps out of the spillway. The dam shown in the movie has been heavily digitally improved.

I was interested because it looks like a miniature Hoover dam...

Back