• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Home on the Range Again!

Reaction score
552366940_yEav6-S.jpg

Hi everybody! My Human has been really busy so I will tell the story of our trip to see the Big Woolly Ones, places my Human calls "Ghost Towns," and a place that honors Ghosts that honor coyotes (that's me!).

We went on those big Two Wheel Things. We left early in the morning (I was the first one awake as usual). I got to ride on a big fat Two Wheel while my Human rode on her skinny Two Wheel. It was fun! First we stopped to feed both Two Wheels and then we stopped to feed the Humans. I took a nap.

They rode on that ground with no grass that their Two Wheels ride on (they sometimes fall down when they get on grass, especially mud and sand) a long ways until they came to one of those places my Human calls "Ghost Town." She said the first one is called "Antelope". I heard stories from the pack Elders about Antelopes -they were fast and the pack had trouble catching them to eat- but this didn't look like food on four legs. She told me that people named their town after the Antelope that used to live there before they were all hunted out by human hunters.

552415005_34cuL-M.jpg

A big human in a big noisy Four Wheel box stopped to talk to my humans and told us that this building was built in 1898 - whatever that means. It was a food store, a place where humans gave stuff in return for food. (why don't they just go out and catch it?)

552417294_s9ciG-M.jpg

The Two Wheel things my humans ride on stood next to this metal box. My Human said it was once a 'car wash'. I guess that's where the big moving boxes take a bath. I wonder if they swallow water like my pack does sometimes.

552420555_bStT2-S.jpg

552450759_PEsQ8-S.jpg

We got back on the Two Wheels and rode on ground covered with small stones to this place. My Human told me it was built by the Conservation Corps and was a 'gymnasium.' I guess that's a place where a bunch of humans play with balls, throwing them into a basket and running around. I remember doing something like that with a rat; us young pups would catch a rat, run around and try to take it from each other. It was fun! But we could eat the rat after wards. My Human said they don't eat their play things, like balls. Seems a waste; you can eat rats after playing hard.

I went for a ride on Many Wheels! (he has many, many wheels at his house!)

552429092_8uZqf-M.jpg

She likes things like these wood pieces. I'm not sure why. She said something about "texture, shape and shadows". I just sniffed around some while she used that little box thing that captures time and space.

552442875_yzLFq-S.jpg

She said this one looked like a face.

552433930_GwerT-M.jpg

We got back on the Two Wheels and rode to another Ghost Town. This one is called "Buffalo Springs." I remember what 'buffalo' are, but I didn't see any. My Human told me that they used to travel through here before they too were hunted and almost all gone.

552474612_DFTj6-M.jpg

There are two big stones with stories on them, but we forgot to load one of the pictures last night. We will have to do that tonight because they tell different stories. We also found this tiny stone with stuff on it. It is very old and my Human said it is hard to read, but she called it an old 'survey marker'.

552482669_GJhXo-M.jpg

There is not much left here but a few giant boxes that humans live in. This one is a place where they gather to do things. The humans said the sign reads that the local humans make a noise called 'music.' I wonder if it's like the music that me and my pack used to make, or like the pack I now hear outside our cave every night.

552466193_simYG-M.jpg

There was one of these near the road. I know they are called 'horses,' but I know that they are food, too. My Human will not let me eat those. I wanted to chase it anyway.

552487977_r2Bvq-S.jpg

Back on the Two Wheels and we rode a long way (I took a nap) to a place called 'Red River'. It was red all right but not much water there. Mostly sand. We stopped on the side and stretched; I had to wake up. I caught a view through the skeleton of the magic ground that goes over the water.

552498202_N7Syh-S.jpg

My Human said we are in a different place called 'Oklahoma', where the Old Ones still live. She has told me stories about the Old Ones and so have the Elders. The Old Ones and us coyotes used to be friends. I don't know why that changed, but it did long ago. That is why we started hunting at night instead of during the day as we always had since we were Created (so the old stories say).

552501782_7zcMZ-M.jpg

I sat here for a while and tried to sniff things.

552492113_t2Z4k-S.jpg

I couldn't see much!

552495700_QPGfF-S.jpg

After resting (I wasn't tired!), we all got back on the Two Wheels and rode again. We got rained on a little bit and we stopped to eat, too. And got rained on a bit more. Not bad though.

After a long time (so it seemed) we got to where we were going to stay for a few days. I remembered those smells!!! Whoooooweeeee!!!!! We were back on the prairies and mountains!!!!!!

Yea!!!!!!

(okay, have to nap now)

Hey, Wiley. You forgot to tell everyone that your shirt doesn't cover your belly anymore. I think you're gaining a bit of weight there. :mrgreen:

Hi Big Little Brother Bill and Mr. Wizard Chuck!
Well, that's what my Human calls you both, so I'll stick with that for now.

So, I nipped my Human on the ankle to remind her to add the picture of the other big stone at Buffalo Springs.........and she kicked me. I guess I'd better leave her ankles alone. Anyway, here it is:

553266345_Bw99q-M.jpg

Okay, now on with the stories. It was hot and really sticky; my fur was matted and my skin was sticky. We were all tired and wanted to get off the Two Wheels, but a human at the gate told us there weren't anymore places to set up camp. So we rode around and around and around and finally found one that was empty. It was the last one open and we got it!

After getting out of the bag I rode in, I had to go pee. So my Human and I took a walk. She had that little box in her hand that she points at things all the time and she took a picture of our little cave and the giant stone where we sat and ate.

552522121_sNdc2-S.jpg

Then, right near our cave place, we saw a big box attached to a little box with wheels. You know, the kind of little box that humans squish themselves into and can't smell or hear things outside. But they were being chased by another box! Well, my Human told me that it was a 'trailer', whatever that is. Anyway, it was parked next to a clearing with lots of green grass and near our cave place. I was going to go run around in there, and then we saw this! A big Woolley!!!!

552506483_isXNB-M.jpg

It was eating grass right near our cave place! The box thing -trailer?- was open in the back and I was afraid the Big Woolley was going to go inside, so I jumped up and down to try and scare it away. But the Big Woolley didn't even see me. He didn't even pick his head up from the grass. Ick. When I eat grass, I throw it up. I wonder what they do with all that grass they eat.

552511298_LT6Uf-M.jpg

Through the trees we could see water and my Human said a lake is there. We decided to go for a walk to see the lake. My Human was excited; she said "The lighting is awesome!". Whatever that means. All I know is that there were lots of birds, fish and turtles, and I was getting hungry!

I did like how we could see the sky in the water. Even the moon!

552526599_CQ6Zx-M.jpg

552531749_TFUqf-M.jpg

552555862_HHTAX-M.jpg

Then.... guess what! It started to rain again! I didn't care 'cause it felt good.

552536951_doxvG-M.jpg

The rain didn't last long.

552540312_hWKZV-S.jpg

552550248_cu27G-M.jpg

The hard thing that floated over the water (my Human calls it a 'bridge') led to a path in the woods. I wanted to run on it until my ribs pounded and my tongue hanged out! But then, I was hungry, too.

552547744_RLUia-M.jpg

So we decided to go back and eat near our cave place. Many Wheels and I made dinner. He showed me how to stir this food stuff. It was a lot of work! I like eating things my way, except that sometimes it takes awhile for all the hair to leave my belly. I had to share this stuff with my Human. It wasn't bad, but we had something good saved for later, too.

552564606_znMjN-M.jpg

552560270_UzDPd-M.jpg

After dinner, we had some special stuff. Something to make my Human feel better because her back has been bothering her really bad lately and the ride really made it worse. It was some liquid stuff that helps relax muscles. It seemed to work well! I took a sip and... Whoo Doggy! It made my eyes water! Then they had these smoke sticks that smell nice. She let me try one and I kinda liked it.

552568127_foUZG-M.jpg

We were all really tired, so we went into our cave to go to sleep. Tomorrow would be a busy day! I got to sleep in a little hammock that hangs inside the top of the cave. See me in my bed? I liked it up there, except for my Human's stinky socks. Phewwwweeee!

552516708_cDvhV-M.jpg

In the middle of the night, I woke up to noises. I turned my ears toward the noise and I could hear four-leggeds just like me! They were brother and sister coyotes making music!!! Boy, did I want to run, howl and yip with them. But I get to do that back at our big space on the other prairie. So, I lay my head down and listened, and soon I fell asleep. I think I was smiling.

553410061_xFfhE-M.jpg

We ate right after waking up. Things were kinda wet outside our cave because rain fell on us in the night. But that was okay. The sky looked like it might be a good day!

We rode on the Two Wheels to go up a mountain that my Human had been on before. She really liked it up there. As we got closer, clouds were hugging the mountains like they were hiding them from us! So we stopped for awhile off the side of the road. It was early enough that not many other boxes and wheels were on the roads, so it was really quiet. But I wanted to run and play in the grass.

553375965_d92Mh-M.jpg

553372554_dZeZy-M.jpg

553358060_SAAJT-M.jpg

I pouted when we had to leave and go back on the road. Soon we began to follow the gray ground that winds up the mountain. We stopped partway up to look down. Wowweee! It was awesome!

553395351_PmZVn-M.jpg

553389170_gSiJS-M.jpg

553380283_9poVk-M.jpg

Then we got to the top and I got to go explore. Lots of smells there! And boulders to jump and climb on!

553480761_b6Sb4-M.jpg

553434809_6UNYX-M.jpg

Sometimes I felt like I was in the clouds!

553458399_2QS9X-M.jpg

This is the road below that we were on; wayyyyyy down there!

553477414_d24k8-M.jpg

553484621_iEeJZ-M.jpg

I want to live here, but my Human told me it gets very cold and windy with cold white stuff on the ground. I remember that white stuff when I was a pup in Palo Duro Canyon. It made my paws cold and hurt sometimes. But I really like the prairies, trees and mountains below.

While Many Wheels climbed on boulders, my Human told me some stories about this mountain and the land below. It was a favorite place of the Old Ones. They would camp here and hunt. Many of the Old Ones hid here from the humans that hunted them, too. This mountain was very special to them; she said it was 'sacred' - whatever that means. I think I know 'cause when I'm here and stand still, I get this tingly feeling and my fur even stands up. I get all warm and funny inside but I don't know what that means. Maybe this mountain is 'sacred' to me, too.

553438232_mr5cx-M.jpg

My Human had a fun time 'because the light is just right,' she said. She said that these things that grow on the rocks are very hard to capture in the little box she uses. I guess it's because they kinda glow. She likes these growing things (I guess they grow, but they don't have a smell).

553419680_7ggqo-M.jpg

She also was excited about capturing the blue flowers that were growing all over. She said those are really really hard to capture because they are blue. "The light has to be just right," she said. Well, there were sure a lot of them! and they did have a smell, but she couldn't smell them; only I can!

553403180_Risq2-M.jpg

553451188_58FgQ-M.jpg

Soon there were way too many people there. It was crowded! We decided to go find some food, so back on the Two Wheels and off we went. Down, down the mountain. My Human growled when the four-wheeled boxes went way over the two yellow lines in the middle. She had to honk at one because it came too close!

We came to a place called "Meers" and stood the two-wheeled things next to some others that were there.

553653473_9W53e-M.jpg

Then we went inside and sat at a table. I hung out on the floor looking for food on the floor until my Human told me the food was on the table!

She shared her dead cow with me. There was a lot there! It was yummy!

553653721_pfvvG-S.jpg

This little human had a hard time eating her dead cow. She sure did move around a lot!

553653574_9JSaN-M.jpg

I was thirsty, too! I got to drink some bitter stuff that my Human likes a lot.

553660836_qZFvh-S.jpg

After we were done, I wanted to take a nap. I rode in Many Wheels bag on his fat two-wheels while my Human rode led the way on her skinny two wheels. They woke me up when we stopped alongside the road. Woohoooo!!! A big group of Big Woolleys!!!!

553657414_bR2HT-M.jpg

There were baby Woolleys, too! My Human wanted to take one home with her. I wan't too sure about that. I'd have to share my running places with it. But as long as it only ate the grass and didn't stomp on me, I guess I can share.

553659529_VWD4b-M.jpg

Next we went to a huge cave with all kinds of neat things inside!

That picture of Wilbur and the cigar has to be the funniest picture I've ever seen in a ride report! He seems to be getty a little cocky. I think he needs a little Desert Boot Camp.

Coyote Master

Hey Coyote Master! Long time no see!
I've been teaching my Human some bad tricks. I am the Trickster, after all!

Now you wouldn't hang me over that canyon again, would you......????

Say Hello to my buddy Zeke!

Toodles. Time to go and yip some.

Hey Coyote Master! Long time no see!
I've been teaching my Human some bad tricks. I am the Trickster, after all!

Now you wouldn't hang me over that canyon again, would you......????

Say Hello to my buddy Zeke!

Toodles. Time to go and yip some.

Oh no, I won't hang you over that little gully canyon again, but if I ever get you up to the Desert Boot Camp I have a couple of REAL canyons to hang you over! They're called T and Rotten and they'll scare the yowls out of you. And I know you wouldn't dare pee on me cause that would make me drop you. It's so far down that we wouldn't even hear the splat! So you better behave yourself. Zeke loves the Desert Boot Camp, but I'm not brave enough or big enough to try to hang him over a canyon. Besides, as head of Ranch Security he's actually my boss. Zeke says come see him at the Boot Camp and he'll teach you to chase imaginary boogers up and down the wash.

Coyote Master

You might find me sneaking up on you at Desert Boot Camp soon! (is that where you grow boots? or eat them?)

If you hang me over a canyon, I'll have to call in Spirit Coyote! He's a Comanche Old One and he's bad!

542750959_2dfNK-M.jpg

Okay, gotta go now. I'm taking a long nap so I can go for a ride later in the big box to a place called Tennessee (Human spelled that for me; it doesn't come out of my mouth quite right). I like riding on the high seat in front of the see-through stuff in front!

Hey, Wiley!

We need to get together and do pie!
If you don't like pie, we can do cobbler or ice cream! :eat:

See ya around.

Oh, and don't try bitin' me - we 'dillos are armored! :sun:

I like the way you write Wiley JR!

You are correct. The Coyote is indeed the jokester.

Hey Wiley Jr!
I think you've got a fan club going now! Count me among them!
(but really dude....don't you think some PANTS might be a good idea?);-)

I like the way you write Wiley JR!

You are correct. The Coyote is indeed the jokester.
Hi guys!!!

Coyotes are not really all tricksters. Everyone just thinks that. But what we are is more like humans in many ways. We adapt to things that change more than our cousins the fox and wolf. And we take advantage of opportunities that come along; that is how we adapt. That is why there are so many of us, more than our cousins who are disappearing. The Old Ones respect us, which is why they use us to tell stories that all their people will remember. Our Elders and the Old Ones have been brothers and sisters for longer than the white men came with their big guns. It's an understanding they can't understand. Because we have a duality and the ability to present both sides of things.

What they don't know is that the Elders tell us pups stories where the humans are the tricksters. That is in a conversation my Human had with an Elder of the cóyotl.

The rest of my story is continued here. Thanks for reading my stories!

Hi guys!!!

Coyotes are not really all tricksters. Everyone just thinks that. But what we are is more like humans in many ways. We adapt to things that change more than our cousins the fox and wolf. And we take advantage of opportunities that come along; that is how we adapt. That is why there are so many of us, more than our cousins who are disappearing. The Old Ones respect us, which is why they use us to tell stories that all their people will remember. Our Elders and the Old Ones have been brothers and sisters for longer than the white men came with their big guns. It's an understanding they can't understand. Because we have a duality and the ability to present both sides of things.

What they don't know is that the Elders tell us pups stories where the humans are the tricksters. That is in a conversation my Human had with an Elder of the cóyotl.

The rest of my story is continued here. Thanks for reading my stories!

Oahh, but Wiley my friend, If you truly understand the tellings of the Old Ones of the southwest you will see that they did indeed view Cayote as the jokester.

Back